Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

President Aperaham Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Flashing back to early Spellfire and how the photo-illustrated cards were the super-rares and thus "special"

It got better with the Nightstalkers expansion, the second to last one.

My friends and I bought a bunch of the FLGS' leftover stock around 2000. It was not especially balanced, and really didn't play well with about 12 teenagers trying to play one big multiplayer game.

Edit:

This was my favorite card, I had some other card that only affected level 5 and below champions that made my Living Wall a real pain.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 20, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dawgstar posted:

In the Feng Shui RPG if you played a cyber-gorilla and didn't have a pun monkey name you got docked an experience point. Fortunately I immediately came up with McKilla Gorilla so it was fine.

Gigantopisticuffs. Orang Wu Tang. Ip Mandrill. Okay well I'm clearing my schedule for the rest of the day.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My friends and I bought a bunch of the FLGS' leftover stock around 2000. It was not especially balanced, and really didn't play well with about 12 teenagers trying to play one big multiplayer game.

My friends and I did "hey, it would be cool if we took a world/expansion and had them fight!"

That was the year we learned about power creep. Also the year I learned that when a friend says that and already picked the latest set, they're not your friend.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bruceski posted:

My friends and I did "hey, it would be cool if we took a world/expansion and had them fight!"

That was the year we learned about power creep. Also the year I learned that when a friend says that and already picked the latest set, they're not your friend.

We originally bought them so everyone could play in SC even field instead of playing Magic where various people had the "best" cards.

It didn't work in Spellfire either

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

God, I don't know how I would sell Wulin to my groups, but everything in it is so loving cool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I came up with Baboom and Godzrilla, but then these got difficult.

Super Monkey Brawler? The Termin-aper? Monkey Kong.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

For all you anime lovers, Bonobo Bo Bonobo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Okay now just movie ones: ShakMMA, Furious George, Dr. Slayus, Dunston Wrecks In.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Are Planet of the Apes and 12 Monkeys cheating?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Lemur Skinner, prime-ate chef.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

theironjef posted:

Okay now just movie ones: ShakMMA, Furious George, Dr. Slayus, Dunston Wrecks In.

Furious George is the main enemy leader in Feng Shui 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
William Gibbon

e: Homo Protagonist

Skywalker Headlock

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 20, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Catherine Chimpanzeeta Jones.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Gorilla Gygax

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haystack posted:

Gorilla Gygax

:mods:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Armagibbon

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Ourang Pendejo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat, how long ago was Ape Fights? The thread. Am I the only one who remembers that? It was a TG thread, right? Ape Fights???

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Leperflesh posted:

drat, how long ago was Ape Fights? The thread. Am I the only one who remembers that? It was a TG thread, right? Ape Fights???
ZOOFIGHTS, ZOOFIGHTS, ZOOFIGHTS

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I remember Ape Fights! That was a rad thread.

Mel Gibbon and Harangue-tan

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hostile V posted:

ZOOFIGHTS, ZOOFIGHTS, ZOOFIGHTS

no no no. I remember zoo fights, that was a GBS thing, with illustrations, it was great. I'm talking about a TG thread, Ape Fights. Which I've just thumbed back through every page of archives of TG and TGR back to 2005 and a search for "ape fight" didn't find it so either I'm mis-remembering the title, or it's in that gap between live forums and the last time there was archiving

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Leperflesh posted:

no no no. I remember zoo fights, that was a GBS thing, with illustrations, it was great. I'm talking about a TG thread, Ape Fights. Which I've just thumbed back through every page of archives of TG and TGR back to 2005 and a search for "ape fight" didn't find it so either I'm mis-remembering the title, or it's in that gap between live forums and the last time there was archiving

Yeah I remember it was still a thing by 2011 or so when I started reading TG.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I FOUND IT (requires archives)

e, content warning, there's some regressive, 2008-era SA poo poo in this thread that I'd forgotten about, I apologize now for things we said back then

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 21, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

moths posted:

Harangue-tan

O hey someone besides me watched Venture Bros. to the end.

Also I had actual work I was trying to do but I just made ape puns all day. So thanks for that.

Liam Strepsirrhini-son

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Completely black and white robot monkey called the "Mono Cromo"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Detective Chimp High, the private eye exactly as tall as a chimp, because he is a chimp.

Silverbackhand, the gorilla pugilist. Maybe he also plays tennis.

Ethan Hoot, the howler monkey super spy.

Dashing but devious bon vivant, the Count of Monkey Cristo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I resurrect the keystone.

quote:

Action Resolution

To determine whether you accomplish an action successfully, roll 1d50 (or 1d100/2, round up). the number you get determines the outcome.

1: action succeeds
2: action fails
3: action succeeds, but disappoints
4: action winds up being not a great idea after all
5: action fails spectacularly; lose 1 limb
6: nothing happens mysteriously
7: action succeeds, but you trip on a banana
8: action fails, someone somewhere dies
9: action succeeds, all hell breaks loose
10: action fails and succeeds simultaneously regardless of paradox
11: action fails, everything you once thought you knew turns out to be a lie
12: action succeeds; mom???
13: action succeeds to the smallest extent that it can succeed
14: action fails; lose 1 level
15: action fails but it's okay after all
16: action succeeds but you regret it
17: action succeeds in spite of a very good reason for it not to
18: action fails and nothing is the same again
19: action fails just as someone said it would and you feel bad
20: action succeeds(?)
21: action succeeds several times in a row
22: action fails and the GM does something to dick you over unfairly
23: player interprets this result freely
24: action fails because someone is revealed to be a traitor
25: action succeeds because someone is revealed to be an ally
26: action fails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
27: action fails due to arrival of ghost(s)
28: action succeeds, but only if the player really wants it
29: action succeeds and the player is smug about it
30: action fails; lose sight in 1 eye
31: action fails because someone forgot there was a table there
32: action succeeds because the player remembered he was holding an axe
33: action fails ... or does it?
34: action fails, but nobody notices
35: action succeeds; lose 1 limb, but losing this limb must be integral to your success
36: action succeeds and nobody could be prouder
37: action fails, dwarves emerge
38: action succeeds because you remembered what day it was
39: action succeeds because someone else forgot what day it was
40: action loving fails, it just loving does
41: action fails and it's for the best
42: action succeeds, it begins to rain
43: action succeeds thanks to meteor
44: action fails thanks to meteor
45: action doesn't not succeed
46: action fails due to negligence on your part
47: action fails and it's kind of hilarious but then sad when you think about it
48: action fails; age 5 years
49: action succeeds magically
50: critical hit

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So like, what even is a good cyberpunk system at this point, one that isn't slow as heck to run and has actual playtested rules

I keep hearing about adaptations of Shadowrun into other rulesets, are they any good at all

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SpaceDrake posted:

So like, what even is a good cyberpunk system at this point, one that isn't slow as heck to run and has actual playtested rules

I keep hearing about adaptations of Shadowrun into other rulesets, are they any good at all
Hard Wired Island is pretty good, and goon-made, too!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

This depends a lot on what you want from a cyberpunk game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey someone besides me watched Venture Bros. to the end.

I didn't, but I guess ape jokes are a limited resource.

A lot of good ones appeared in the Planet of the Apes cartoon, like William Ape-speare

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyone play the FFG funny dice Android source book?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SpaceDrake posted:

Runners in the Shadows is pretty decent since it's mostly a reskinned for Shadowrun's setting Blades in the Dark which has been playtested, with some minor extra rules bolted on to handle cyberware.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

If you like Freeform Universal or just want something really rules-light, Neon City Overdrive is very good.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

SpaceDrake posted:

Sprawlrunner, in Savage Worlds works great.

I can't speak to the hacking rules, but everything else seems to jive. Cyberware, shamans and character building feel complete while also being fun to build and use in play.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bewilderment posted:

Runners in the Shadows is pretty decent since it's mostly a reskinned for Shadowrun's setting Blades in the Dark which has been playtested, with some minor extra rules bolted on to handle cyberware.

Have also played this. I think it's still mostly BITD but worse, largely because I don't like the things about Shadowrun that are distinctive to Shadowrun (races, really weird fetishization of Native Americans, creepy purity stuff about prosthesis) and base BITD is a very, very good setting. That said, it works perfectly fine and I don't think will melt anybody's brain.

Similarly there is an AW hack, Sixth World, that has basically all the same caveats, though the version I played didn't have gear stats beyond some basic items, just "if you want gear idk convert it from Shadowrun."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My spouse is gonna play in a Shadowrun game using Fate Dresden Files, but it's just getting started.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SpaceDrake posted:

Seconding Hard Wired Island. You're going to have a hard time finding anything else that has the "punk" part while still being a functional system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

SpaceDrake posted:

Serious answer: Another vote for Hard Wired Island, it's fantastic.

Sideways answer: Spire, which might scratch your Shadowrun fantasypunk itch without being, you know, cyber at all.

Superior answer: GUN ELF.

Mirage fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 21, 2021