Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Larry Parrish posted:

i can't post about this stupid rear end state anymore in my normal place so I guess I'll just do it here.

We don't want you here either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

We don't want you here either

Yes, page 798 has very high property values and is a very close-knit community.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If Jaxyon doesn't want Larry here then I welcome them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If Jaxyon doesn't want Larry here then I welcome them.

I bet you don't even remember why you're mad at me

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
We need more purple poowater pipes all over. Roseville is doing a decent job with it but it needs to just be clean enough to just go pump back into Folsom Lake instead of just golf courses and parks.

https://roseville.ca.us/government/departments/environmental_utilities/at_your_service/sewer

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

I bet you don't even remember why you're mad at me

I'm not mad at you, you're just an insufferably smug brunch liberal with an endless supply of lovely takes. What I can't remember is the last time you contributed anything positive to the thread, so anyone you don't want here is welcome by me on at least a trial basis.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not mad at you, you're just an insufferably smug brunch liberal with an endless supply of lovely takes. What I can't remember is the last time you contributed anything positive to the thread, so anyone you don't want here is welcome by me on at least a trial basis.

Very not mad huh.

I'm a leftist but I guess I disagreed with you once. Maybe take a break for a bit?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

Very not mad huh.

I'm a leftist but I guess I disagreed with you once. Maybe take a break for a bit?

Lol, once, sure. The raw irony of you pulling this "ugh, circular firing squad much?" bullshit on me while telling Larry to get the gently caress out. He's a leftist too!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol, once, sure. The raw irony of you pulling this "ugh, circular firing squad much?" bullshit on me while telling Larry to get the gently caress out. He's a leftist too!

I mean sure whatever I'm the worst. Whatever makes you happy.

But also the person repeatedly posting slurs is bad.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kenning posted:

Yeah, the thing you can't make any goddamn money recycling is glass. I once saved glass for almost a year, sorted it by color and everything. I drove it to the recycling place in Berkeley, and for almost 90 lbs of glass they wrote me a check for $4.70. This was before easy online check depositing so I might have just thrown the check away.
Recycling glass isn't very important. The raw materials (sand, some kinds of rocks) are abundant and the energy to remelt existing glass isn't that different from the energy to melt new sand. Smashing and burying old glass in a landfill also doesn't do bad stuff like leech into groundwater or ferment into methane. Reusing a bottle is a big energy win, but recycle vs make new isn't that different.

Aluminum and steel are the big ones for recycling (and the ones where scrap is valuable even apart from CRV incentives)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Foxfire_ posted:

Recycling glass isn't very important. The raw materials (sand, some kinds of rocks) are abundant and the energy to remelt existing glass isn't that different from the energy to melt new sand. Smashing and burying old glass in a landfill also doesn't do bad stuff like leech into groundwater or ferment into methane. Reusing a bottle is a big energy win, but recycle vs make new isn't that different.

Aluminum and steel are the big ones for recycling (and the ones where scrap is valuable even apart from CRV incentives)
I imagine recycling glass was more about keeping glass shards off the streets.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imported drama should be exported ASAP IMO.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

I imagine recycling glass was more about keeping glass shards off the streets.

A mind numbingly large amount of sand is mined in the world each year. Much more than the planet replenishes. I know much of it is for the construction industry, but I'm sure a not insignificant amount is for containers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

We need more purple poowater pipes all over. Roseville is doing a decent job with it but it needs to just be clean enough to just go pump back into Folsom Lake instead of just golf courses and parks.

https://roseville.ca.us/government/departments/environmental_utilities/at_your_service/sewer

Would be real nice if residential irrigation were piped off their recycled water lines!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Xenix posted:

A mind numbingly large amount of sand is mined in the world each year. Much more than the planet replenishes. I know much of it is for the construction industry, but I'm sure a not insignificant amount is for containers.
All glass (flat + containers) is very small compared to construction. Glass is ~210 million tons output x ~75% silica => ~157 million tons/year. Construction sand is ~45 billion tons/year, so ~0.4% is for glass.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Office Pig posted:

Shame you can't post in CSPAM anymore Larry, but I appreciate the opportunity you've taken to show us that, really, despite state lines, we're not so different after all.

... we're not so different after all :suicide:

the only reason I'm posting in this thread is because the cspam one was full of brain damaged liberals also so it's not like it's a downgrade to complain about this dumbass state in d&d instead.

Centrist Committee posted:

lol this fuckin' website man

they removed the view permissions because it would have been asking too much for the mods to bother enforcing it themselves like every other subforum ban ever lol.

anyway enough about that. my guys, have any of you been in the sierras lately? i went to loon lake (hydroelectric reservoir operated by SMUD) in July and the loving water was about 75 degrees lol. an alpine lake was the warmest outdoor swimming I've ever done in my life. god that's scary lol. also is anyone else excited for rolling blackouts next summer? cuz it's looking like an extra dry year, and there's literally no snowpack. i heard Oroville dam had to shut down the turbines because there wasn't enough water pressure to run them lol. this drat drought has already lasted like a decade. i dunno what the gently caress we're gonna do.

the ELF should do a comeback tour and torch and salt all the almond orchards imo.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 21, 2021

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Well, the giant sequoias are going to catch fire any minute now. Good night and good luck, y'all!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Foxfire_ posted:

All glass (flat + containers) is very small compared to construction. Glass is ~210 million tons output x ~75% silica => ~157 million tons/year. Construction sand is ~45 billion tons/year, so ~0.4% is for glass.

Pretty sure glass eventually turns back into sand anyway when left alone in a dump (ie: through erosion).

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure glass eventually turns back into sand anyway when left alone in a dump (ie: through erosion).

Then throwing glass into the ocean is technically recycling it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

VorpalBunny posted:

Well, the giant sequoias are going to catch fire any minute now. Good night and good luck, y'all!

i have some good news about the sequoia's ecology/lifecycle and fire

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jetz0r posted:

This also applies to car batteries.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have some good news about the sequoia's ecology/lifecycle and fire

The higher temperatures of modern fires, driven by increased fuel loads due to fire suppression and also drought, have killed whole groves of sequoias.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sorry, my state is low on water all year every year.

Your personal water use it almost totally irrelevant, unless you have a lawn. Don't water that poo poo.

Siid
Oct 18, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

I don't think that's entirely true yet. Everything I've seen is that they're doing a good job protecting some of the more touristy areas like Trail of 100 Giants and Giant Forest. Pretty sure some of the more remote groves have seen fire but I don't know that anyone knows the extent of damage yet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MickeyFinn posted:

Your personal water use it almost totally irrelevant, unless you have a lawn. Don't water that poo poo.

iirc something like 10% of state water use is people's personal water, which includes filling pools and lawns and poo poo. while lawn stuff is a pretty big fraction of that 10% it still seems like it's negligible at the end of the day. y'oughta tear up your lawn and replace it with native grass anyway, though. it doesn't need as much water in the first place.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Water use in California is roughly 50% Environmental, 40% Ag, 10% residential. Granted that's averaging "wet" and "dry" years: assuming climate change is going to exacerbate drought going forward the "dry" figures have Ag up as far as 61% of total usage. Further my understanding is that the bulk of urban/residential usage is landscaping/pools/etc. Normal indoor water usage is a minuscule portion of overall water usage so yeah, you cutting your shower by a couple minutes or running your dishwasher on economy is such a negligible savings as to be irrelevant.

Lawns suck rear end anyway, if you have a yard then you should xeriscape. Not only is it significantly better for the environment but it looks much nicer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

http://lawntogarden.org/
https://lblawntogarden.com/
https://www.trivalleywaterwise.com/lawn-to-garden/

etc.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sydin posted:

Water use in California is roughly 50% Environmental, 40% Ag, 10% residential. Granted that's averaging "wet" and "dry" years: assuming climate change is going to exacerbate drought going forward the "dry" figures have Ag up as far as 61% of total usage. Further my understanding is that the bulk of urban/residential usage is landscaping/pools/etc. Normal indoor water usage is a minuscule portion of overall water usage so yeah, you cutting your shower by a couple minutes or running your dishwasher on economy is such a negligible savings as to be irrelevant.

Lawns suck rear end anyway, if you have a yard then you should xeriscape. Not only is it significantly better for the environment but it looks much nicer.

Where do golf courses fit in in that breakdown? What about industrial uses like manufacturing?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shear Modulus posted:

Where do golf courses fit in in that breakdown? What about industrial uses like manufacturing?

Manufacturing/landscaping/golf is all covered under urban/residential. Which underlines the sheer amount of fuckin' water ag soaks up.

I don't know what the breakdown is within that urban slice wrt residential vs non-residential use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

jetz0r posted:

Upcycling, because beach glass is valuable. :capitalism:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sydin posted:

The entire state, which is nearly twice the landmass of the UK, is not one giant water system and drought impacts from seemingly minor usage will vary heavily depending on where you live. Someone on the Mendocino Coast will experience the drought differently from someone in the Mendocino Valley, let alone someone in Tahoe, Bakersfield, or the Salton Sea. Ag practices are definitely not efficient but a mutual water company in the Santa Cruz hills with 30 homes and a shallow well going dry ain't being hurt by almonds They may be hurt by pot, though .

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Everyone is being hurt by almonds my dude. They're one of the most intensive water crop imaginable.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Everyone is being hurt by almonds my dude. They're one of the most intensive water crop imaginable.

Yeah, Alfalfa is substantially worse, but Almonds are #2 and how do you use more water than rice?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

At least alfalfa is a rotation crop. Almond trees just suck up water even when they're not producing iirc

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

kind of surprised that alfalfa takes up so much water since the big grocery chain i work for and others in UFCW have stopped carrying alfalfa in any form because of its susceptibility to e.coli and such. where is it all going?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rainbow Knight posted:

kind of surprised that alfalfa takes up so much water since the big grocery chain i work for and others in UFCW have stopped carrying alfalfa in any form because of its susceptibility to e.coli and such. where is it all going?
My understanding is that a lot of it is used for animal feed.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, Alfalfa is substantially worse, but Almonds are #2 and how do you use more water than rice?

Maybe not all rice production is using flooded fields for pest reduction. Iirc rice can be grown without the flooded fields of water we see in popular media.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rainbow Knight posted:

FMguru posted:

My understanding is that a lot of it is used for animal feed.

Yeah it's almost exclusively grown for animal feed these days.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Rice is more water usage per acre, there's just a lot more acres used for almonds (1.25 million) than rice (0.51 million)
Alfalfa's thirstier than rice per acre, but also has a higher yield/acre. Rice is also more yield/acre than almonds, so it really depends how you count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Rainbow Knight posted:

It is just a convenient way to sell water by way of animal feed.