Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tree Bucket posted:

How is the influence cost of merging cities calculated? Can it be lowered? I absorbed an independent city to see what would happen, but now I'd really like that extra city slot back... and really don't want to pay 17K influence to do so.

Ransack the main plaza, build outpost, attach to another city. If there are any other territories attached to the razed city they just detach and keep their outposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Okay, I wanted to do a Babylon transcend only thing, and started a new game a few times...and I swear the AI is now picking the Babs higher than it used to.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Staltran posted:

Ransack the main plaza, build outpost, attach to another city. If there are any other territories attached to the razed city they just detach and keep their outposts.

Do you have to conquer the city before you can raze it? I've never been able to raze a foreign city by attacking it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Soylent Pudding posted:

Do you have to conquer the city before you can raze it? I've never been able to raze a foreign city by attacking it.

Yes, I'm fairly certain you have to own the city. I've never tried to do it to a foreign city, but that seems like it wouldn't be allowd since it would let you side step the war score system.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tree Bucket posted:

How is the influence cost of merging cities calculated? Can it be lowered? I absorbed an independent city to see what would happen, but now I'd really like that extra city slot back... and really don't want to pay 17K influence to do so.

You can lower it by making sure they have exactly the same infrastructure. You have to pay influence for all of the infrastructure in the city to be merged, if it isn't already in the city doing the merging.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

You have to first siege it then raze it. You can only raze it if you control it.

Btw I also found out the flat out best use for late game air power is just shelling administrative centers so that you can sneak away territories during war. Have your planes bomb territories as your armies advance that you then convert into your lands, that way you only have to negotiate for cities once the forced surrender comes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I got my first win last night. And yea I went turks and my science output graph immediately became a vertical line. I'm playing again, but I'm going to just transcend constantly. I want to see if science becomes a vertical line again. I'll be building a similar way, heavy maker's quarters, once I hit early-modern I'll go heavy into science quarters.

I started with Numidians because I feel like I'll get some value out of their dual purpose emblematic district and their early Archer unit has let me capture two early cities and control my starting continent before leaving the pre-historic era. I could have vassalized the Olmec, but they only controlled one territory and I'd rather just have it myself. AFAIK there is no advantage to vassalizing a single territory CIV early on. Anyway they respawned a bit to my south and now have friendly relations with me, so I'll probably keep them around.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Completely destroyed the game with the Numidians and just transcending. Ended up with ~24k fame and was actually able to launch the mars colony mission and the ICBM test. The placement requirements for those projects are onerous to say the least. Anyway the game is interesting, but not particularly challenging. I'd say the difficult drops off much sooner then Civ and there is no catchup mechanic so once you surpass the AI because you actually build districts, they have no way to compete anymore. I'd assume multiplayer is similar with the first person to be able to throw down a few maker's quarters and get ahead having an almost insurmountable advantage but I don't personally know.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you get egyptians (-10% industry district cost) and pair it with the giza pyramids (-25% industry district cost) and leverage that into an early era grab of khmer you basically win through district spam unless everyone else spends the rest of the game tag teaming you back to the neolithic

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I like the Achaeminid Persians. The extra two cities feels like a huge boost to my empires overall production, especially because with immortals you can get those two cities "for free" by gobbling up juicy cities on the map.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Completely destroyed the game with the Numidians and just transcending. Ended up with ~24k fame and was actually able to launch the mars colony mission and the ICBM test. The placement requirements for those projects are onerous to say the least. Anyway the game is interesting, but not particularly challenging. I'd say the difficult drops off much sooner then Civ and there is no catchup mechanic so once you surpass the AI because you actually build districts, they have no way to compete anymore. I'd assume multiplayer is similar with the first person to be able to throw down a few maker's quarters and get ahead having an almost insurmountable advantage but I don't personally know.

The AI personas can make a difference, I noticed a difficulty spike when I downloaded a bunch of personas with the Luxurious bias and good strengths. Because luxuries are important, but the AI has no idea how to prioritize them.

fnox
May 19, 2013

How armies seem to retreat deeper into enemy territory pisses me off to no end.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Chamale posted:

The AI personas can make a difference, I noticed a difficulty spike when I downloaded a bunch of personas with the Luxurious bias and good strengths. Because luxuries are important, but the AI has no idea how to prioritize them.

Could you provide some links to some heavy hitters?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is the better strategy cranking out quarters or focusing on infrastructure? I feel like I keep losing because I treat quarters like districts and only have 1 of a type.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't know what "treat quarters like districts" is supposed to mean, but:

Max out your districts as much as stability allows, build infrastructure mostly when you can't build districts without plunging into rioting.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Megazver posted:

I don't know what "treat quarters like districts" is supposed to mean, but:

Max out your districts as much as stability allows, build infrastructure mostly when you can't build districts without plunging into rioting.

I was playing it like Civ 6. Build a science quarter and just that one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When other people talk about how easy it is to snowball ahead and demolish the AI, even on the highest difficulty, it's because of how human players are more capable of spamming districts in a way that maxes synergies.

In fact, a lot of people complain that the AI is too easy to beat because it doesn't build enough districts to compete, since their benefits tend to scale upwards with quantity, like with bonuses from adjacency, infrastructure, wonders, and cultural passives.

So I would say by treating Districts like Infrastructure you've handicapped yourself to play worse than the AI.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

pro starcraft loser posted:

I was playing it like Civ 6. Build a science quarter and just that one.
Don't do that.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You're not playing worse than the AI until you build 4 commons quarters for each other quarter you build.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still pretty new to this game but it seems very different from civ in that regard, yeah. AFAICT, districts are your bread and butter "make city better" projects, with the catch that they cost stability to build. So if your city is stable enough, you should be building new districts, unless you already have enough district output that an infratructure's multiplier will give a substantial bonus to it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, you definitely want to spam districts. I haven't played the latest patch so I don't know if they made food more necessary, but the meta was to pay little attention to farmers quarters and to just spam tons and tons of makers quarters to get ludicrous amounts of production and then spam out research quarters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just to illustrate it in raw numbers, take the aforementioned Research Quarters. Without any tile exploitation or infrastructure, it's +3 science per turn. But it's got an adjacency bonus of +1 per adjacent additional Research Quarter. So four RQs clumped up together will have a bonus of +3 to each, doubling the base output of any one RQ. And you've got four of them.

With one RQ you've got +3 science per turn. With that four cluster, you're instead getting +24.

And that's before figuring in how many Infrastructures and Culture perks apply per District, so the more of the relevant districts you build the more value you're getting out of them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would actually be +22 because in the tightest cluster of four possible (diamond shape), two districts will be adjacent to three others, and the other two will be adjacent to two others only.

But that's why you just never stop building districts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It would actually be +22 because in the tightest cluster of four possible (diamond shape), two districts will be adjacent to three others, and the other two will be adjacent to two others only.

But that's why you just never stop building districts.

Ah yeah my b, haven't had my coffee yet.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Wouldn't you run out of things to build without multiple districts of the same type?

Does the infrastructure never all finish becuase of low production... or is there not enough infrastructure to build because of low science?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Awesome, another game ruined.

Accidently absorbed 2 independent cities too quickly and now I'm -66 influence per turn. Can't absorb yet and the only way to increase city cap is spending...influence.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Awesome, another game ruined.

Accidently absorbed 2 independent cities too quickly and now I'm -66 influence per turn. Can't absorb yet and the only way to increase city cap is spending...influence.

You can burn down your own city center if you *have to*, and then reconsolidate when you've solved the city cap issue.

Or try to roll back an autosave.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Megazver posted:

You can burn down your own city center if you *have to*, and then reconsolidate when you've solved the city cap issue.

Oh! Just ransack it?

Good to know, thanks!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ransacking your own property is also a valid tactic to, say, make room for ludicrously big launch sites.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Megazver posted:

Or try to roll back an autosave.

Yea there is absolutely no disadvantage or consequence to razing your own cities. You just have to raze the city center. You can build an outpost the next turn to maintain your claim on the territory. Then when you are ready you can absorb it, or turn it back into a city and all the districts will stay put. The only thing you lose will be the city projects and infrastructure that were built, but you shouldn't be building that many of those anyway, in almost all cases you should just build an additional makers quarter instead of any of the city infrastructure assuming your stability is ok.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Is the better strategy cranking out quarters or focusing on infrastructure? I feel like I keep losing because I treat quarters like districts and only have 1 of a type.

There's infrastructure that improves quarter yields like the forge line and the university line but the main thing to focus on is building up districts.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lady Radia posted:

Could you provide some links to some heavy hitters?

I can't figure out how to link the profiles, but you can search for them here. The five strongest AI personas I've found so far:

Enoprty, a food-focused pacifist.
Papasqual, production-focused.
Phoebenuggs, food and production.
Ironcarra, fame and science.
Thalassicus, an attacker with good bonuses.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I started a game last night on the second hardest difficulty after not picking this up for a few updates. Did the Influence costs to claim terrirories increase significantly? I remember in the neotlithic/ancient eras I was racing to claim territories and just trying to spam out ownership as their costs were super cheap, but now like my third territory was almost 150 cost (these were all adjacent territories, I wasn't trying to forward settle or anything crazy), causing expansion to feel really slow. Also the AI was absolutely destroying me in era score, with several being easily double what I was making, and I'm not a terrible player. Just, I guess there were some major balance changes/revamps over the last few patches?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I started a game last night on the second hardest difficulty after not picking this up for a few updates. Did the Influence costs to claim terrirories increase significantly? I remember in the neotlithic/ancient eras I was racing to claim territories and just trying to spam out ownership as their costs were super cheap, but now like my third territory was almost 150 cost (these were all adjacent territories, I wasn't trying to forward settle or anything crazy), causing expansion to feel really slow. Also the AI was absolutely destroying me in era score, with several being easily double what I was making, and I'm not a terrible player. Just, I guess there were some major balance changes/revamps over the last few patches?

Yeah, they raised the cost to claim territory significantly. But they didn't lower the number of territories for Expansionist stars. Has anyone else found that those ones are the hardest to unlock?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I can only get expansion stars late game when I'm basically painting the world. Influence stars seem to have huge costs too, and the stuff that boosts it can't compare to other yields

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Expansionist, aesthete and merchant stars are stupid hard to get compared to just beating up random independents to get 3 military stars every era.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Merchant stars are easier to get when you have merchant cultures ime.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Is there not an alert when rebels are spawned? I tried to salvage my game with negative influence and kept getting attacked by decent strength armies coming out of nowhere. I finally checked and they were rebels from my cities.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
This game is super fun and I'm glad they are being proactive about fixing issues and improving quality of life. I hope they are taking a look at independent people management, cause it's my biggest pet peeve right now. Escape doesn't close the screen, there's no way to get an overview of all the indies, etc.

Chamale posted:

Yeah, they raised the cost to claim territory significantly. But they didn't lower the number of territories for Expansionist stars. Has anyone else found that those ones are the hardest to unlock?

Expansionist are def the hardest to get. I'm trying to prioritize it in my current game and still can't really make it happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has there been a recent patch which has cranked the aggression levels up to 10? I've suddenly been struggling to get my civs off the ground because of early war-declaring by civs who have been making GBS threads out a vaguely suspicious amount of units....