Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

actionjackson posted:

NYC is one of the only cities where you can do everything without private car ownership, I'll give it that, but it also has insane housing prices, and you are basically forced to rent your whole life (and often have roommates) unless you are pretty rich. I'm not sure that's worth the tradeoff. I only drive like 2k/miles a year so I get insurance that charges by the mile, it ends up being no more than 50-60/month.

you're absolutely correct that there are a lot of cons to living here... nobody who's lived here for a while will tell you it's perfect, and housing is loving crazy. every place has pros and cons, but the pros of robust transit (by USA's standards at least) and walkability are enormous. i'll probably live here until I get flattened by an SUV while riding my bike or flattened by an SUV while crossing the road

that being said, fffuck I want this house: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.931...!8i6656!5m1!1e2

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
montreal h as an excellent metro system

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

paul_soccer12 posted:

Everyone post your favorite car of all time

:killdozer:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

Everyone post your favorite car of all time

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's in a very desierable area of st paul, and about a four mile drive from where I live

just to the north is macalester college which is very well regarded (for whatever that is worth), and grand avenue, which has a tons of stores and such. one block north of grand is summit, which is the most bougie street in the city, home to giant queen anne homes and the governor's mansion. if you keep going north past that towards 94 it gets pretty ugly though

edit: i agree about not needing a car being a huge benefit to nyc, just too expensive and I wouldn't want to go back to renting. I visited nyc a lot in the 90s as my dad worked in battery park.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Never settle for less - every luxury car commercial.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

:same:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
things i hate:

1) car

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/schlijper/status/1101906497590751232

i would have simply pushed the cars into the canal but this works too.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

I've never been... could be a cool city! lots of cities are great! but since you're here arguing the pro-car angle for some reason, i'll assume it sucks, since this is the "i hate cars" thread after all

thats the guy who cant conceive of a carless society because he has a Large Dog which is his own particular insane edge case that has somehow destroyed his entire brain

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Smythe posted:

thats the guy who cant conceive of a carless society because he has a Large Dog which is his own particular insane edge case that has somehow destroyed his entire brain

that's one of the reasons I need a car, certainly there are other reasons as well

now maybe if my city actually had more than the tiniest amount of car sharing, and they weren't so strict about dogs, it would be a bit more viable!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:qq::qq::qq::qq: B-B-B-B-B-BUT M-M-M-MUH LARGE DAWG :qq::qq::qq::qq:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Lastgirl posted:

things i hate:

1) car

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Smythe posted:

:qq::qq::qq::qq: B-B-B-B-B-BUT M-M-M-MUH LARGE DAWG :qq::qq::qq::qq:

guessing you don't have a large dawg

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

guessing you don't have a large dawg

ya i got one... ur freakin wife lol. :w00t:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Smythe posted:

he’s heating up….

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
don’t ever ask me or my large dog to walk again

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duomo posted:

lmfao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

duomo posted:

god lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

duomo posted:

Haha

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Smythe posted:

duomo posted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

duomo posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

duomo posted:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I was on a local city subreddit the other day and said america has a "car culture problem" and ended up getting a bunch of death threats and the post was ultimately deleted

reddit is a shithole and also I hate cars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
cars help senile olde people get to the grocery store and ensures large dogs get to work on time, so whose to say if they're good or bad.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
my city has been doing a bunch of parklets for restaurants and all the landed gentry boomers get steamed up into a furious fit of rage everytime it happens because downtown is losing all it's parking!!

(*nevermind the new 5-story garage they just built at great expense that no one uses)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

st bernard getting increasingly agitated over years of morning commute to the alpine slopes, considering opening up that barrel to just make things a little easier

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Xaris posted:

my city has been doing a bunch of parklets for restaurants and all the landed gentry boomers get steamed up into a furious fit of rage everytime it happens because downtown is losing all it's parking!!

(*nevermind the new 5-story garage they just built at great expense that no one uses)

They really are just dogshit aren't they

Homocow posted:

I was on a local city subreddit the other day and said america has a "car culture problem" and ended up getting a bunch of death threats and the post was ultimately deleted

reddit is a shithole and also I hate cars

"you are too violent"
"no I'm not and if you really think that, I'll kill you"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

duomo posted:

lmao

no large dogs in NYC :shrug:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Large dogs are fine if you get the right kind. My malamute hated cars but would happily walk for miles. He’d even trot beside my bike if I was feeling lazy.

Anyway dogs good, cars bad. It’s not complicated.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Xaris posted:

it's a violation of my human rights to force me to walk two blocks from the garage to the restaurant I want to go to.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ArmZ posted:

lmao

no large dogs in NYC :shrug:

yeah NYC is dense enough where it's not a huge issue, but it's literally the only city in the US like that

anyway next time I need to run an errand that takes 10 minutes by car, or 90 minutes with three transfers by bus because I don't live in one of the uh.. 2/3 cities in the US that has that kind of infrastructure, I'll think of you guys

p.s. dog (I was fostering her before adoption so I had to take her to get spayed at the group's designated hospital - an hour away BY CAR lmao)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I also lived in the twin cities right on the mpls st Paul border for a decade, first in prospect and then in st Anthony park (the best st Paul neighborhood) and I miss it dearly. It is not dangerous in Minneapolis except due to the cops who like to execute you for ??? (No reason really).

I now live in salt lake which is cool for mountains and less cool for Mormons and alt righters. But mainly the Mormons, since mn outside of the cities is also trending very alt right.

When I'm back in the cities im always like oh whoa there are actually bike trails and people don't try to kill you with their cars.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Simply making parking lots illegal would alleviate a lot of the symptoms of car culture

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll say again that Minneapolis's bus system isn't bad at all (though yeah it can take a while to get anywhere) and it's light rail system is good if you want to go to like one of three places. (The St. Paul light rail line I have less experience with. Point is, I don't have a car and I do all right.

I don't have a large dog though, which would complicate matters somewhat.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

yeah NYC is dense enough where it's not a huge issue, but it's literally the only city in the US like that

anyway next time I need to run an errand that takes 10 minutes by car, or 90 minutes with three transfers by bus because I don't live in one of the uh.. 2/3 cities in the US that has that kind of infrastructure, I'll think of you guys

p.s. dog (I was fostering her before adoption so I had to take her to get spayed at the group's designated hospital - an hour away BY CAR lmao)

so you only have a car because of annual vet appointments? :thunk:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Unrelated:

The Amish, notably, do not drive but are happy to be driven. When he was in high school my cousin made decent money driving Amish people around (on shopping trips and such) in a big van he called the Yoder Toter.

Well that's my story.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ArmZ posted:

so you only have a car because of annual vet appointments? :thunk:

What? no, but a car is definitely needed to transport her not just to medical appointments, but various greyhound events, other people's houses that also have greyhounds so she can socialize, etc. When I got my first greyhound, Abby, ten years ago, especially early on I was always driving her to various greyhound stuff. Obviously that stuff is less common at the moment.

Other stuff would be seeing my parents, that's what I mentioned when saying 10 minutes by car or 90 minutes by bus with three transfers, and the area they live in is generally the best for most errands.

I only drive like 2k/miles a year, and before covid I didn't drive to work for 10 years (I walked or biked), but I still need a vehicle. I think if I lived downtown AND I didn't have Bailey AND carsharing wasn't completely hammered by covid living without a car would be possible.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Sep 21, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

around here the mennonites lobby for paved roads and parking lots in their communities except the parking spaces also have hitches for the horses that pull the buggies lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

around here the mennonites lobby for paved roads and parking lots in their communities except the parking spaces also have hitches for the horses that pull the buggies lol

Yeah, I grew up near Amish country in Ohio (and had relatives who lived smack dab in the middle of it) and that was definitely a thing in town. (The hitches, I mean. There was like one paved road in Kidron at the time.)

I didn't grow up that sort of Mennonite (we were pretty much indistinguishable from other midwestern Protestants in most respects) but my grandparents did. (My grandma's parents were Amish but left the church when they came of age.)

(I will drag this thread kicking and screaming away from actionjackson's cool dog discourse)