Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I, too, love to wait for my handheld to update for over an hour when I want to play a game real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

I, too, love to wait for my handheld to update for over an hour when I want to play a game real quick.

that's weird, I wouldn't love that if it happened

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Anything you might want to run in addition to Steam - Discord, TeamSpeak, OBS, various emulators - also have Linux versions, so I can't see any particularly good reason to install Windows.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I want to run productivity software so I can leave a keyboard mouse and monitor at work and just plug my game boy into it instead of lugging around a laptop

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's weird, I wouldn't love that if it happened

It grows on you after a while.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anything you might want to run in addition to Steam - Discord, TeamSpeak, OBS, various emulators - also have Linux versions, so I can't see any particularly good reason to install Windows.

Compatibility

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Game Pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WTFBEES posted:

Game Pass.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
As of right now Proton tests can only give us limited info until the SteamOS 3.0 update launches alongside the Deck, which will apparently have a “much-improved” version of Proton, certainly at least a different one due to 3.0’s switch from Debian to Arch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I actually haven’t run into that issue.

I also haven’t run into that issue on my main gaming OC either. Even the last larger windows 10 feature update took 10 min at most.

It’s far from ideal but for the most part if I want to use my windows handheld to play a game nothing has stopped me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

As of right now Proton tests can only give us limited info until the SteamOS 3.0 update launches alongside the Deck, which will apparently have a “much-improved” version of Proton, certainly at least a different one due to 3.0’s switch from Debian to Arch.

Proton is developed in plain sight, the Proton Experimental branch is exactly what you're going to get.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Proton is developed in plain sight, the Proton Experimental branch is exactly what you're going to get.

well, minus the anti-cheat stuff they're supposedly working on, which is presumably wrapped up in NDAs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WTFBEES posted:

Game Pass.

Touché.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does gamepass let you play offline? The last time I had to make use of the steam offline functionality was back in 2015 or so and it was not a super experience. I don't know if it has since improved, but the Switch seems to understand that the console might go for a long time without connecting to the internet and updates are unobtrusive and always give the option to forgo them in favor of just playing.

Hopefully Valve has figured out something similar for the deck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Antigravitas posted:

It hasn't been that way for a long time unless you're running a really lovely HDD and processor.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been running 11 since the first insider build dropped and I haven't had to wait more than a few minutes for updates to install and the machine to get back to login.

I might buy a cheap Windows key just to test it out, worst case scenario I can factory reset the thing. Although I'll probably wait for someone else to benchmark it first.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

well its not just a handheld. The dock makes a full mini pc. There's many reasons to install windows, though I agree if you're just handheld alone not much.

e: have they mentioned the price or specs of the dock yet? I'm very much expecting something expensive as hell

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Docks aren't really expensive themselves, why would the Steam Deck one be much more expensive?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

sigher posted:

Docks aren't really expensive themselves, why would the Steam Deck one be much more expensive?

Branding and to make up for the hit theyre taking on the machine itself both sound likely.

It isn’t a slick drop-in deal like the switch dock though so I can’t see myself buying one

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

well its not just a handheld. The dock makes a full mini pc. There's many reasons to install windows, though I agree if you're just handheld alone not much.

e: have they mentioned the price or specs of the dock yet? I'm very much expecting something expensive as hell

The dock will just be a stand with a standard USB-C breakout box inside. I have a generic dongle that I use with my phone on my desk with HDMI, 3 USB-A ports and charging pass-through that will likely work just fine, cost 20 bucks.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

sigher posted:

Docks can cost anywhere from like $30 to $300, depending on what ports they have and how many, whether they have power pass through and how well it works, and whether they are merely USB 3 or Thunderbolt, etc.

I'm sure USB4 docks will be even more expensive for a while too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You don't need a crazy-rear end high end dock for a device that's targeting a 720p performance profile.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I know docks can be cheap, I'm just going by how Nintendo's dock is $100 and Steam is going to have their own. I expect it to be $50 at least.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I would bet similarly, but they've said you can use any usb c dock.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

$30 3rd party docks are better than Nintendo's, even with their initially, and possibly still, broken implementations of USB PD and HDMI over USB.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

sigher posted:

It hasn't been that way for a long time unless you're running a really lovely HDD and processor.

That is simply false. My PC is everything but slow, and its Windows installation only has Steam and TS installed and nothing else.

The record was 1 1/2 hours spent updating because Windows broke something and rolled back, then rebooted and tried again.

And at work we have a medium sized fleet of Windows PCs and jfc is it painful because Windows Update is brittle as hell.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gutcruncher posted:

Branding and to make up for the hit theyre taking on the machine itself both sound likely.

Does Valve even give a poo poo? I mean, really, how much money do they potentially look to make off of a dock considering their revenue streams?

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I would bet similarly, but they've said you can use any usb c dock.

I think this is why it's not going to be expensive, I don't see anyone buying Valve's dock when it doesn't do anything that any cheap-rear end dock you can get off Amazon would.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I guess the main reason to buy a valve dock is because it would ostensibly let you stand up the deck and use its screen as a second display. A random USB dock would work, but probably just dangle off the end.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

You get a dock to do silly/cool things like

https://twitter.com/XPlaneOfficial/status/1440374955720409091?s=20

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Dramicus posted:

I guess the main reason to buy a valve dock is because it would ostensibly let you stand up the deck and use its screen as a second display. A random USB dock would work, but probably just dangle off the end.

just grab a generic phone/tablet stand, the usb-c connector is at the top anyway.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Samopsa posted:

just grab a generic phone/tablet stand, the usb-c connector is at the top anyway.

Ah, I figured it was on the bottom like the switch. I guess it's going to dangle either way then.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Sure, but there’s still three months before release, assuming zero delays, which you can’t in this pandemic anyways.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Valve has also said that they have code that has not been merged into Proton yet. Presumably some wayland weeaboo and anticheat stuff.

TuKeZu
Nov 29, 2015

Are the cheap docks usually capped at 1080p60? All I've got is the Genki Covert Dock which is, but that was made for the Switch...

The Deck may not run modern games at native 4K, but 720p and 1080p look way better when integer scaled on the GPU/software side than letting your 4K display blur it up with bilinear upscaling.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://dev.epicgames.com/en-US/news/epic-online-services-launches-anti-cheat-support-for-linux-mac-and-steam-deck

EasyAntiCheat now officially supports running in Wine/Proton, although each game developer needs to opt-in to allow it

Your move BattlEye

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Valve tossed up a FAQ page for the Steam Deck:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/faq

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

sigher posted:

quote:

What can you tell us about the BIOS and does it allow dual-boot?

Multi-boot is supported - you can have multiple OSes installed and choose which one to boot into. Users will have access to the BIOS menu.

Can you boot an OS off the SD card?

Yes, Steam Deck supports boot from microSD.
Excellent, that answers the questions I had about how easy it'll be to try installing Windows without blowing away the default OS install

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

This entire page can be summarized as:

Q: "Does the Steam Deck have this [necessary/cool/interesting] thing?"
A: "Yes."

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

repiv posted:

https://dev.epicgames.com/en-US/news/epic-online-services-launches-anti-cheat-support-for-linux-mac-and-steam-deck

EasyAntiCheat now officially supports running in Wine/Proton, although each game developer needs to opt-in to allow it

Your move BattlEye

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22690670/epic-eac-anti-cheat-linux-valve-steam-deck-support-games
well, that was quick

quote:

However, BattlEye is coming to Steam Deck too: BattlEye CEO Bastian Suter tells The Verge his company’s software will be compatible with the Steam Deck, saying “the first game might start using it soon.” Still, it will be up to individual developers to enable support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell yeah destiny 2 on the go CHECK