Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Coldrice posted:

Whoops, I guess I should include it every time eh?

GAME LINK: https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

I'll likely throw this new stuff up in the next couple for days, for now this is Sunday's build before the scheduling and update to spreading mechanics.

One interesting thing I was talking about on Discord was how interesting it was that 100% masks 0% vax seems to keep a lid on covid in this visualization better than 100% vax/0% masks.

Since its based on cdc stats, what I think is happening is that you can still spread covid while vaxxed. The rub is you can still catch and spread covid while vaxxed, you're just less likely to have symptoms or extreme complications. I think that if you spend weeks after weeks exposing yourself to covid you catch it eventually. Further, there is still a chance for complications. So even though the number of very sick people, icu admission, dead, etc.... is dramatically lower it is not zero.

The longer the little characters are exposed to covid, despite vaccination, the worse the situation eventually gets.

Is there an indoors vs outdoors? Does ventilation matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

christ i'm like 50 pages behind and the thread title hasn't changed. did anything interesting happen

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

christ i'm like 50 pages behind and the thread title hasn't changed. did anything interesting happen

people died

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

U-DO Burger posted:

the guy making the covid game has a download now and it keeps getting better

also some people died. a lot of people, but not an unexpected amount.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think there's a difference between someone like Phil Valentine who used their public position to influence people to behave stupidly, and people who merely belived him

We arent really talking about those people, but the people who take that and turn around and make a bunch of posts about it and try to convincr their families and friends about it. They're just more locally effective Phils

They'd do exactly the same thing in Phil's position, because they do it anyway in their own social circles.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 22, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also a cool end goal for the game would be to design an office/factory/school that didn’t spread covid everywhere using a variety of options. like mandatory testing and having people be in “pods” and whatever.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Is there an indoors vs outdoors? Does ventilation matter?

No outdoors, this is meant only to simulate some kind of office or factory. I’d LIKE to add an air flow mechanic (I have some ideas of how to implement it) as well as the ability to open / close windows, install ventilation, etc… but that’s a bit further down the list in terms of what Im working on

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Der Meister posted:

walkin through the grocery store today and the only folks without masks were white men

i had a maskless full-on old cowboy in the frozen aisle today

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Coldrice posted:

No outdoors, this is meant only to simulate some kind of office or factory. I’d LIKE to add an air flow mechanic (I have some ideas of how to implement it) as well as the ability to open / close windows, install ventilation, etc… but that’s a bit further down the list in terms of what Im working on

You need to simulate covid as a gas now if you ever want that to be viable

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Stereotype posted:

also a cool end goal for the game would be to design an office/factory/school that didn’t spread covid everywhere using a variety of options. like mandatory testing and having people be in “pods” and whatever.

I love this idea. A slider for government competence. Our timeline is the least competent, New Zealand is the most

Coldrice posted:

Any chance of adding a patio or something to the sim? I was just thinking, maybe someone plays the game and notices being outside is safer than being indoors idk

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it’s pretty wild that this is the first covid simulation I’ve seen that models chaotic interactions in workplaces. everything else has been some million dollar FEA aerosol simulation that shows ultra high detail covid plumes and looks super cool but isn’t actually useful in any way for policy making.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Stereotype posted:

it’s pretty wild that this is the first covid simulation I’ve seen that models chaotic interactions in workplaces. everything else has been some million dollar FEA aerosol simulation that shows ultra high detail covid plumes and looks super cool but isn’t actually useful in any way for policy making.

this simulation tells us the real end to the pandemic is just simple 100% mask use and other easy NPIs like social distancing, quarantines, testing and tracing, etc. none of this is compatible with capitalism and therefore it must be ignored lol

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

On the plus side, cats seem to shake it off without too much trouble. Or at least mine did.

I have cetto who looks like dis as well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
what is the R.1. variant from japan? apparently it's in kentucky now: https://deadline.com/2021/09/r-1-new-covid-variant-u-s-japan-1234841685/
it swept through a nursing home there and infected 45 people, many vaxxed: https://nypost.com/2021/09/21/covid-19-variant-r-1-spreads-quickly-at-kentucky-nursing-home/ yiiiiikes

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7010188401563471109

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Death of Innocence posted:

We talk about ideas like class war, culture war, and their proxy conflicts like covid, and climate change / biosphere destruction. War as a concept is simple and dramatic, but when applied as a metaphor for these things happening in reality it’s just more both sides whataboutism. War is a conflict between two armed groups with casualties on both sides. When a heavily armed group kills a bunch of unarmed civilians it’s a massacre or a genocide. Regardless of the prevailing idioms or metaphors, class war and culture war do not exist. What we are living through are class and culture massacres or genocides.

yes this

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I got my booster shot today.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nocturtle posted:

People said the cases were starting to go back down. Had hoped they meant by a lot.

I love how all the downward trajectories this time appear to be drastically less steep than the other waves. Gonna wind up sitting on a plateau somewhere above all the other peaks at this rate.

Really looking a lot like the UK data with a dip and a steep recovery, too. That's encouraging.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

what is the R.1. variant from japan? apparently it's in kentucky now: https://deadline.com/2021/09/r-1-new-covid-variant-u-s-japan-1234841685/
it swept through a nursing home there and infected 45 people, many vaxxed: https://nypost.com/2021/09/21/covid-19-variant-r-1-spreads-quickly-at-kentucky-nursing-home/ yiiiiikes

quote:

According to a CDC report, among 83 residents and 116 healthcare workers, 26 residents and 20 workers tested positive for Covid. Twenty eight specimens were subjected to whole genome sequencing and, on March 1, found to have mutations that aligned with the R.1 lineage. (The outbreak reportedly began with an infected staffer.) “Attack rates were three to four times as high among unvaccinated residents and [workers] as among those who were vaccinated,” according to the findings.

Roughly 90% of the facility’s residents and and 52% of the staff had received 2 vaccine doses. Among those, 25.4% of the residents and 7.1% of the workers were infected. That, according the CDC analyses, raises concerns about reduced protective immunity to R.1 from vaccines.

What’s more, four possible reinfections were identified, “providing some evidence of limited or waning natural immunity to this variant,” per the report. All of those people experienced symptomatic illness. One of them died.

While the CDC does not define R.1 as a variant of concern or interest yet, the strain does have several “mutations of importance.” One of those “demonstrates evidence of increasing virus transmissibility,” according to the agency. Others have also been seen in variants of concern which, according to the CDC, “show evidence of reduced neutralization by convalescent and postvaccination sera. Another mutation seen in R.1 might reduce the effectiveness of neutralizing antibodies.”

The good news is that, despite the breakthrough infections, vaccination was associated with decreased likelihood of infection and symptomatic illness among both patients and staff. Furthermore, R.1 does not seem to be outcompeting — and thus be more transmissible than — Delta. As of April 22, the CDC indicated just 1,125 cases of R.1 in the U.S. According to Forbes, there are now over 10,000 recorded instances of the variant. But those numbers pale in comparison to the millions of Delta cases.

R.1 was first identified in Japan in January 2021 among three members of one family. One of those infected was in their 40s and the other two were under 10 years old. “These three patients were living in Japan and had no history of traveling abroad,” according to an NIH report.

As of April 22, 2021, the NIH analysis states that “the percentage of SARS-CoV-2 isolates belonging to the R.1 lineage in Japan increased more rapidly” than it did in the U.S.

Doesn't look like it'll outcompete Delta

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
ah, nice yeah i keep looking for news on that japan N501S mutation of delta and haven't seen anything yet. that's the one to keep an eye on IMHO. it's potentially delta + alpha's little extra infectious kick mutation

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/nycmayor/status/1440498894245224456?s=21

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Haha

:sickos:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Gio posted:

ive had 13 breakthrough cases in my family and not a single one was asymptomatic.

How do you know it was only 13?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kreeblah posted:

How do you know it was only 13?

lol that rocks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

scientists will spend hours of supercomputer processing time and hundreds of kilowatts on modeling the specific path taken by every single droplet of exiting from your mouth when you cough

Coldrice will actually model what people do as a group, which is why it's actually useful

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
lol

remember that the freaking DOD did that study to show that airplanes are safe, to make people start flying again

and it assumed nobody would take off their mask to eat

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

McNugget Buddy posted:

Doesn't look like it'll outcompete Delta

I don’t think it really matters if this one beats delta or not, the take-home is that the virus can mutate like this and probably can do it again. If it doesn’t work now, it still can later.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Real Mean Queen posted:

I don’t think it really matters if this one beats delta or not, the take-home is that the virus can mutate like this and probably can do it again. If it doesn’t work now, it still can later.

Yeah, plus even if this one doesn't outcompete on its own, there's still some chance of recombination with all the Modi variant particles already floating around.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1440512041857413131

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

jeeeesus it was only like 460 kid deaths last i looked... like 2-3 weeks ago

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZA4BSoUqks

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
dial 555-CHILD-DEATH

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I feel bad for people who fall victim to coordinated propaganda

I can't even figure out what the chud media is working at here, they're killing their own audience.

We ran Prester Jane off the site still I think but I do believe this is what we call a compaction cycle. Yeah they're killing their own audience, but the ones that remain are the coolest and most loyal to the right wing movement. It's better than Q because it's not a subset of the party, it's everyone.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mod sassinator posted:

this simulation tells us the real end to the pandemic is just simple 100% mask use and other easy NPIs like social distancing, quarantines, testing and tracing, etc. none of this is compatible with capitalism and therefore it must be ignored lol

“It has been stated over and over again that the English doctors are unanimous in declaring that where the work is continuous, 8 feet apart is the very least space that should be allowed for each person. […] the very root of the capitalist mode of production, i.e., the self-expansion of all capital, large or small, by means of the “free” purchase and consumption of labour-power, would be attacked. Factory legislation is therefore brought to a deadlock before these 8 feet of breathing space. The sanitary officers, the industrial inquiry commissioners, the factory inspectors, all harp, over and over again, upon the necessity for those 8 feet, and upon the impossibility of wringing them out of capital. They thus, in fact, declare that tuberculosis and other lung diseases among the workpeople are necessary conditions to the existence of capital.” Karl Marx, Das Kapital (Chapter Fifteen: Machinery and Modern Industry, Section 9).

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I'm sure this will all just blow over

https://twitter.com/IAStartingLine/status/1440486539595632640?s=19

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Stereotype posted:

the guy making the covid game has a download now and it keeps getting better

also some people died. a lot of people, but not an unexpected amount.

you know

according to simulation theory there should be a person inside the covid game coding a covid game

and there's an infinite recursion of covid games

we're probably inside of one right now, man!!!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

p low energy stalking if all you're doing is standing outside my house all day

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Fwiw any decrease in overall case numbers right now is because testing is down and populous Florida is starting to level off.

The Pacific Northwest, rust belt, and Appalachia are all about to be where the Gulf states were a few weeks ago.

Delta does seem to have hit a vaccine firewall in PA/DE/MD - not saying it isn’t there but it’s moving a lot slower. it is coming at them from Canada though - upstate NY and northern England are starting to pop.

Haven’t heard or read anything about new variants lately so that’s good right?

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Only 35/40 ICU beds C+ today

covid's over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

one of those assholes gonna harass the wrong school board member and end up getting denied potentially life saving care