Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
"why do we have 60 admirals?" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

beer gas canister posted:

"why do we have 60 admirals?" lmao

The US navy has 243 flag officers at present. It has somewhere around 275 "active" ships but that really depends what you consider "active" since a lot of them are reserve ships that have no real dedicated crew and would take tons of money and effort to get going, and a huge proportion of the new ones are hilariously broken obviously defense industry grifts that make the F-35 a very sound and fiscally responsible program. That's not a joke, the F-35 makes far more sense and has produced far, far better results than the LCS program. That being said, the F-35 of the Navy is the new DD-1000 Zumwalt class that while it kinda works and probably would be good at like some war with China cooked in the fever dreams of a RAND office, is much like the F-35 insanely over budget and over-built for systems that turned out to be cancelled later but still spiked the cost and turned it into a fragile and unreliable over-engineering mess that will take at least a decade to smooth over.

Also the Navy has gone through like a dozen uniform changes in the last years. Each individual sailor has a hilarious amount of uniforms. Over the recent years, the working uniform has gone from prison-looking-one or woodlands, to the utterly moronic blue camo ones which had to be replaced with coveralls when doing anything ship-related because they were too flammable, to the current baby vomit not-MARPAT camo ones, with a special desert one just for the SEALs that looks even more exactly like MARPAT but still cost a whole new procurement cycle. Also a new set of overalls that are almost exactly the same as the old one, but a slightly darker blue. Also they've been issuing these light blue overalls but you can't wear them ever outside of bootcamp because they're very flammable too. So that's the working uniform, they also have a "service" uniform for like office work and TWO different kinds of dress uniforms! All of which have recently undergone changes or totally been replaced with a new hotness in the last decade or so.

The Navy is a giant scam, even by the standards of the DOD. We still have a Navy that can't even drive ships without killing themselves/fishermen/merchant mariners but hey we have a ship that could fit the railgun we cancelled and a shitload of people making a killing selling uniforms, probably using loving prison labor.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It's funny how obviously giddy John is for the entire carrier fleet to get utterly annihilated by Iranian or Chinese rockets/drones. But you know, same

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Reminder that the Zumwalt's Advanced Gun System fires rounds that cost a million a priece, so they just didn't produce any.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The US navy has 243 flag officers at present. It has somewhere around 275 "active" ships but that really depends what you consider "active" since a lot of them are reserve ships that have no real dedicated crew and would take tons of money and effort to get going, and a huge proportion of the new ones are hilariously broken obviously defense industry grifts that make the F-35 a very sound and fiscally responsible program. That's not a joke, the F-35 makes far more sense and has produced far, far better results than the LCS program. That being said, the F-35 of the Navy is the new DD-1000 Zumwalt class that while it kinda works and probably would be good at like some war with China cooked in the fever dreams of a RAND office, is much like the F-35 insanely over budget and over-built for systems that turned out to be cancelled later but still spiked the cost and turned it into a fragile and unreliable over-engineering mess that will take at least a decade to smooth over.

Also the Navy has gone through like a dozen uniform changes in the last years. Each individual sailor has a hilarious amount of uniforms. Over the recent years, the working uniform has gone from prison-looking-one or woodlands, to the utterly moronic blue camo ones which had to be replaced with coveralls when doing anything ship-related because they were too flammable, to the current baby vomit not-MARPAT camo ones, with a special desert one just for the SEALs that looks even more exactly like MARPAT but still cost a whole new procurement cycle. Also a new set of overalls that are almost exactly the same as the old one, but a slightly darker blue. Also they've been issuing these light blue overalls but you can't wear them ever outside of bootcamp because they're very flammable too. So that's the working uniform, they also have a "service" uniform for like office work and TWO different kinds of dress uniforms! All of which have recently undergone changes or totally been replaced with a new hotness in the last decade or so.

The Navy is a giant scam, even by the standards of the DOD. We still have a Navy that can't even drive ships without killing themselves/fishermen/merchant mariners but hey we have a ship that could fit the railgun we cancelled and a shitload of people making a killing selling uniforms, probably using loving prison labor.

Does the USN even have a dedicated ASW ship anymore?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

skooma512 posted:

Does the USN even have a dedicated ASW ship anymore?

I mean Arleigh Burke would do it I guess? Nowadays I think most nations just use patrol aircraft and static sensors more than ships. There's a large ASW air capability as far as I know.

Nothus posted:

Reminder that the Zumwalt's Advanced Gun System fires rounds that cost a million a priece, so they just didn't produce any.

Yeah that's the gun they engineered the entire ship around. Oopsie.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's funny how obviously giddy John is for the entire carrier fleet to get utterly annihilated by Iranian or Chinese rockets/drones. But you know, same

and then the nukes would fly

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He's going to do it. He's doing it! HE'S DONE IT WE'RE RICH!!

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
my high-school tech teacher was a former naval officer that was in it from the 70s to the 90s and i always wondered how he was able to wring tens of thousands of dollars out of local defense contractors to finance our school's FRC teams

lmao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
my favorite Zumwalt thing is that there were a few engineers worried that it would capsize if there were waves, but they launched it anyway, then those guys leaked that the ship might sink in waves, so they did a bunch of simulated tests trying to prove it wouldn't

then it got stuck in the Panama Canal one year and frozen in at Montreal the next

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I got to see one of those dumb ships in person in both Bath and San Diego

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The Space Force is an amazingly brazen scam, and the fact that nobody says anything about it tell you all you need to know. Sure there were a few days of Star Trek jokes, but that was largely because Trump was in charge when it debuted.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nothus posted:

The Space Force is an amazingly brazen scam, and the fact that nobody says anything about it tell you all you need to know. Sure there were a few days of Star Trek jokes, but that was largely because Trump was in charge when it debuted.

It owns that someone made what I assume is millions of dollars selling star trek uniforms to the space force.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It owns that someone made what I assume is millions of dollars selling star trek uniforms to the space force.

Just a plain, simple tailor, no doubt....

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the blue camo navy uniforms are awesome too because if theres one thing you want to make sure of if you accidentally go overboard, it's that you blend in really closely with the water and are difficult to spot. gotta make your shipmates work hard to rescue you!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

1 day i'm going to sell the DOD some bullshit and with my millions do drugs and bang instagram thots.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hey, thanks to the need to keep pampering the military with promotions and pensions so they don't take over again, Brazil's Navy has more admirals than it has actual ships.

Many times over.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They wear air force uniforms with minor insignia differences. Totally low effort.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AnimeIsTrash posted:

xpost from the succzone
https://twitter.com/widdershins_cat/status/1440348986846507019

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/DeptofDefense/status/1394684224414834688

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The US navy has 243 flag officers at present. It has somewhere around 275 "active" ships

how do you know this? it's good demystification

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You can get a real sense of where popular science is at when Stephen Hawking made that half-baked statement about how AI is sure to kill us all, then everybody solemnly nodded their heads in agreement. Meanwhile Trump tries to militarize space and these same poindexters don't say a single peep about it. Even during the Trump administration it was framed purely as a stupid waste of public resources, and not that militarizing space inevitably means the end of life on Earth.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Centrist Committee posted:

how do you know this? it's good demystification

I don't. I'm guessing from a bunch of different things I've heard and my own experience. Depending on how you define active the number can much higher or lower, but generally a bit under 300 ships are either operating or in the yards/drydocked but still fully crewed. There are other ships less active that could probably be spun up pretty quick by Navy standards by reserve crews and such as well, and lots of mothballed ships that could still be put back into use but would requires tons of repairs and refitting plus getting a new crew.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Sep 23, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You can get a real sense of where popular science is at when Stephen Hawking made that half-baked statement about how AI is sure to kill us all, then everybody solemnly nodded their heads in agreement. Meanwhile Trump tries to militarize space and these same poindexters don't say a single peep about it. Even during the Trump administration it was framed purely as a stupid waste of public resources, and not that militarizing space inevitably means the end of life on Earth.

Because Space Force is just a contract dump. They’re never going to do anything but steal money.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Because Space Force is just a contract dump. They’re never going to do anything but steal money.

If Space Force lasts long enough it becomes an actual institution, which means at some point they will begin running military operations in space. Once we start getting the ball rolling on militarizing space, other countries have to follow suit.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Sep 24, 2021

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Aside from satellites, the Air Force has been putting classified payloads on the "civilian" NASA shuttles since the 80s and operating its own shuttle secretly since the 90s and openly for over a decade now, though the claim is that it's an unmanned shuttle.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cockburn's analysis of the Caribbean Crisis wasn't wrong about Kennedy's headspace, but I thought everyone else in the White House and Pentagon were ready for a war.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Every Gundam fan knows that militarizing space is going to end in a colony drop. Stephen should watch more anime.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

Every Gundam fan knows that militarizing space is going to end in a colony drop. Stephen should watch more anime.

You joke, but gravity really is the ultimate force multiplier. The big threat of militarizing space is that you can launch attacks with weapons of mass destruction before anybody can even see it coming. It'd be a state of maximum paranoia even more severe than the Cold War, and even if it doesn't end in mass megadeath on Earth a war in space will create so much debris in near-orbit we could never leave the planet.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If Space Force lasts long enough it becomes an actual institution, which means at some point they will begin running military operations in space. Once we start getting the ball rolling on militarizing space, other countries have to follow suit.

Dunno by the time they get bored of blowing through billions of dollars in areospace contracts doing welfare for Lockheed shareholders on canceled programs the United States might not even be a world power.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Dunno by the time they get bored of blowing through billions of dollars in areospace contracts doing welfare for Lockheed shareholders on canceled programs the United States might not even be a world power.

The f36 but it's 10 trillion dollars and blows up anytime you turn on the ignition.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The f36 but it's 10 trillion dollars and blows up anytime you turn on the ignition.

sounds great, that'll be another 1 trillion dollar contract to investigate and (maybe) fix the ignition problem, after a 3 year consultation period of course

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You joke, but gravity really is the ultimate force multiplier. The big threat of militarizing space is that you can launch attacks with weapons of mass destruction before anybody can even see it coming. It'd be a state of maximum paranoia even more severe than the Cold War, and even if it doesn't end in mass megadeath on Earth a war in space will create so much debris in near-orbit we could never leave the planet.

making it impossible to launch from earth effectively trapping all the billionaires who dream of blasting off to mars to escape the dying biosphere is pretty funny at least

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Strike_Bomber

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I hope they do an episode on Havana syndrome.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Aamer is an all time guest.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
the emoji movie line had me rollin

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Slightly behind but these confederates were very bad guys!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Really enjoyed learning that one of the latest Dolan Defeats was when he tried to start his rental car. I can only assume it had a fob instead of a regular key

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I remember the first time I was in a car where i had to press the brake to start it I was confused enough to resort to looking it up on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, I remember the first time I was in a car where i had to press the brake to start it I was confused enough to resort to looking it up on my phone.

Wait the first thing I've always done, even in super old cars, is just press the brake before cranking it? I thought that was normal