Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

CrazyTolradi posted:

Burnet Institute modelling predicting a peak case load in Victoria higher than what we’ve seen in NSW so far, despite Vic locking down on day one of the outbreak, really renders the “NSW mockdown/you have to lockdown harder” as stupid as it seemed at the time. Months wasted.

what

am i having a stroke

please let it be a stroke

NSW mockdown/lockdown harder shitposting was dumb, because NSW's exceptionally strong border controls leaked into VIC, VIC's instant harder lockdown fails, and this is dumb because ???

But it's not dumb because NSW are a bunch of galahs that poisoned the lockdown well with great and visionary leadership like "eh we'll probably have to live with covid it's been... what twenty minutes of lockdown and the cases aren't going down? oh btw other states lol guess what's for christmas".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Burnet Institute modelling predicting a peak case load in Victoria higher than what we’ve seen in NSW so far, despite Vic locking down on day one of the outbreak, really renders the “NSW mockdown/you have to lockdown harder” as stupid as it seemed at the time. Months wasted.

why are you posting osman faruqi's tweets

https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/1439419495865466880?s=20

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ugh

Revolting

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Eediot Jedi posted:

what

am i having a stroke

please let it be a stroke

NSW mockdown/lockdown harder shitposting was dumb, because NSW's exceptionally strong border controls leaked into VIC, VIC's instant harder lockdown fails, and this is dumb because ???

But it's not dumb because NSW are a bunch of galahs that poisoned the lockdown well with great and visionary leadership like "eh we'll probably have to live with covid it's been... what twenty minutes of lockdown and the cases aren't going down? oh btw other states lol guess what's for christmas".

I struggled with the drafting of a complex philosophical argument in an op ed format and obviously didn’t get it right. This is almost certainly because, unlike other public policy issues I comment upon regularly, the subject was my field of original academic study.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

birdstrike posted:

I struggled with the drafting of a complex philosophical argument in an op ed format and obviously didn’t get it right. This is almost certainly because, unlike other public policy issues I comment upon regularly, the subject was my field of original academic study.

"On" would have been sufficient.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

another standrews :rolleyes:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

standrew valley when

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

why is osman even posting them? that's the real question worth asking.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

hambeet posted:

I'm out again - but stay safe, get vaxxed, don't fall in love with politicians, health bureaucrats or cops, and listen to our series.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

hambeet posted:

This must be the work of an enemy Standrews!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm pretty sure I'm officially a racist now, because I agree with 90% of the Sustainable Australia Party's submission to the housing supply and affordability inquiry.

quote:

Dearer residential property and land does not create national wealth. It simply creates a society of haves and have-nots, increases the cost of living and doing business, and retards the capacity of individuals, families and banks to invest in wealth-generating small businesses and other economic enterprises. This collectively starves the broader Australian economy of capital.

quote:

We believe that a key driver of corruption in politics is donations and gifts made to political parties and candidates for public office. We believe that the rules concerning these donations have not been adequate to prevent ever larger donations having an increasingly corrupting effect on the political process and subsequent housing policy.

quote:

The Sustainable Australia Party believes that the housing policies of the major parties are directly influenced by funding from the property industry.
Further, the setting up of a supply-focused housing affordability enquiry also suggests that the enquiry is influenced by the property industry.
The Australian housing market has received record levels of annual supply over the last 15-20 years. But this has not fixed the housing affordability crisis.
That is because the real problem causing Australia’s housing crisis is politically engineered hyperdemand.

quote:

• Remove the 50 per cent discount of capital gains tax on taxable Australian property (nonprincipal place of residence).
• Abolish negative gearing on taxable Australian property.
• Phase out provisions allowing Self-Managed Superannuation Funds to borrow for investment in real estate.
• Restrict bank lending practices to better control the supply of housing credit, including the banning of interest-only housing loans and those above a loan to value ratio (LVR) of 90 per cent.
• Encourage developers to include a material element of social or affordable housing in new projects.
• Significantly increase investment in public housing.
• Reform tenancy laws to offer greater renters’ rights including;
o Longer standard rental tenure;
o Longer notice for eviction;
o Greater ability to keep pets;
o Greater ability to make minor renovations including picture hangers;
o Removal of ‘no-fault’ termination from residential leases so that tenants have more security and stability. This will mean there will only be four situations in which a tenant can be removed from their home: 1) sale of the property, 2) major renovations, 3) failure to meet tenancy conditions including rent payments, or 4) Owner wants to move into their property
• Abolish first home buyer grants when the above Federal and State policies are implemented.

Who do I contact to get an armband?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

Ugh

Revolting

He's right. Victoria focused too much on cosmetic rules that do nothing (curfew) and didn't focus nearly enough attention on essential workers and workplaces. It was only after we reformed workplace testing rules last year that we started bringing the second wave under control.

It's crazy that people are only allowed to go outside for two or three hours a day, when virtually no transmission occurs outdoors. Yet many workplaces don't have mandatory testing programs for essential workers.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm officially a racist now, because I agree with 90% of the Sustainable Australia Party's submission to the housing supply and affordability inquiry.

It's almost like life is more complicated than "fascist" and "not-fascist"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

rock on down into the cbd today i'm sure someone will fix you up

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

"Chip on your shoulder".

"Arrogant and smug".

"Don't like your tone".

"You're a flog".

These are not normal responses to choosing to read someone's posts, and say much more about the sad people that make comments like this everyday than anything else.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

Seriously. just really solid real estate and renters law changes. Even including stuff like pets and picture hangers so renters can actually feel like they live in a home and not just a long term hotel.

Pets is a really big one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

My only memory of the Sustainable Australia Party is their policy of IMMEDIATELY CUT ALL (nonwhite) IMMIGRATION.

They're right about housing policy, but they might be right about housing policy and racist.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Really feeling for Melbourne today. I remember what it was like watching our numbers go up and up with no end in sight.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lolie posted:

Really feeling for Melbourne today. I remember what it was like watching our numbers go up and up with no end in sight.

so do we

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lolie posted:

Ends November 5th. Number doesn't matter any more.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

"Chip on your shoulder".

"Arrogant and smug".

"Don't like your tone".

"You're a flog".

These are not normal responses to choosing to read someone's posts, and say much more about the sad people that make comments like this everyday than anything else.

Good luck in your fight against these imaginary posts.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 23, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hooman posted:

My only memory of the Sustainable Australia Party is their policy of IMMEDIATELY CUT ALL (nonwhite) IMMIGRATION.

They're right about housing policy, but they might be right about housing policy and racist.

Is there a source for them being racist in regards to immigration? Just went through their policies and they are definitely overly NIMBY in places, but while I wouldn't want them entirely in charge they do seem like a good counterbalance to the privatise everything and a coal furnace for every home policies of the LNP.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

JBP posted:

Ends November 5th. Number doesn't matter any more.

On the roadmap document, the fine print says "subject to Public Health consideration of epidemiology at the time". That gives them an out if they need one.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

I just ignore the numbers cos caring about them is basically self harm at this point.
I care about all the damage it's causing to people but I can't do anything, can't get much more lockdown-ed than we are now and it's not working so I just mentally surrendered and focus on running and making art

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/cohealth_au/status/1440829324152565770

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

Is there a source for them being racist in regards to immigration? Just went through their policies and they are definitely overly NIMBY in places, but while I wouldn't want them entirely in charge they do seem like a good counterbalance to the privatise everything and a coal furnace for every home policies of the LNP.

They spend half of their "Our Party" page answering questions that have already been answered by their "we're not racist" hats.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that I knew they were racist now, that's my only memory of them, back from the Dick Smith LESS IMMIGRATION NAOW days. They could have easily pivoted away from that poo poo in the intervening time.

EDIT: Back from the sustainable population party days before they renamed:
https://www.greenleft.org.au/content/rise-populationists-greenwashes-racism

EDIT2: From wikipedia their one member in state parliament seems to have a pretty good voting record however:
"On the environment, the party advocates for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to 80% below year 2000 levels by 2050, or cutting further if possible." :lol:
wow, much sustainable.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 23, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lolie posted:

On the roadmap document, the fine print says "subject to Public Health consideration of epidemiology at the time". That gives them an out if they need one.

I'm not concerned with that right now

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/1440502619349262347

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Good luck in your fight against these imaginary posts.

On day 50 of the NSW Delta outbreak there were 268 COVID cases, and today, day 50, of the Victorian Delta outbreak there are 766 cases.

Victoria was locked down sooner and harder by the Andrews govt than NSW. Vic state govt’s health system is failing the Victorian people.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

On day 50 of the NSW Delta outbreak there were 268 COVID cases, and today, day 50, of the Victorian Delta outbreak there are 766 cases.

Victoria was locked down sooner and harder by the Andrews govt than NSW. Vic state govt’s health system is failing the Victorian people.

I’m just impressed than Dan took time out of his busy day to call you a flog

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Senor Tron posted:

No, unless you consider any opinion on immigration that isn't "increase it" to be racist. But unfortunately for them 'it has been decreed'....so they are.

I just had a look through their policies as well...there nothing particularly offensive in there and a lot of it I quite like. The tax ideas are pretty good, remove the 50 per cent discount of capital gains tax on taxable Australian property (non-principal place of residence) and abolish negative gearing. Stop profit shifting overseas.

So yeah i think it's literally just the wanting immigration to go down not up.

say hello.jpg
Feb 16, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

To be honest that's partially true, there's also the fact that even though we were super locked down I can tell you up here in the North no one gave a flying about the lock down and just kept on keeping on I'm guessing out west the situation would have been similar.

I think a lot of people were just sick of lockdowns and didn't take it seriously after all the others.

It also seems that theres been zero enforcement of compliance anywhere.

It also doesn't help that pretty much every news corp media outlet has been spamming Victoria doomed rise up against your oppressors non stop, probably leading to a lot of non compliance.

At the same time putting out articles saying things are looking peachy in NSW even when the case numbers where going up.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

In the supermarket in Kyneton today there were probably about 15 people in there unmasked - staff and customers.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think there might be a limit of lockdown duration that the population will tolerate before compliance starts breaking down.
Maybe Melbourne has used up all it's lockdown

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

I think there might be a limit of lockdown duration that the population will tolerate before compliance starts breaking down.
Maybe Melbourne has used up all it's lockdown

I think Sydney is very close to that limit right now and that's one of the reasons Gladys is throwing out small concessions as we approach 70% double.

At the beginning of Melbourne's lockdown, there was a lot of "let's show NSW how it's done" sentiment being expressed on social media. There is probably genuine frustration on the part of many who've been doing all the right things but not seeing the same result as last year.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
SMH erika

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm double vaccinated and under 70 I couldn't give less of a gently caress any more let me out

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Just got my second jab so as soon as the 15 minute observation period is done I’m off to join the nearest freedom rally with tolradi and scribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'll take CS's kid to any park he likes