Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I like the concept of dice rolls for activations and the fact that bad rolls can still be beneficial.

I played Space Base recently, which played into this idea pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Arivia posted:

D&D has incredible institutional inertia around a human sized figure being a 1-inch base, unless 32mm also allows for that I'd be extremely surprised if it ever changes.

The bulk of the 32mm (and 35mm) minis I sell all come with 25mm bases.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

The bulk of the 32mm (and 35mm) minis I sell all come with 25mm bases.

cool, that should be fine then

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Myth and Goal is up. It's intended to be a Blood Bowl competitor.

People can complain that Blacklist Games has like three unfulfilled miniatures Kickstarters still on the books. The big problem to me is the miniatures, though. They lack a lot of the character of Blood Bowl, Guild Ball or Dreadball miniatures. I think I would have a tough time telling teams apart without fairly vibrant paint job to help with identification. Sizes, poses, and clothing are all a little too close for comfort.

On the plus side, I have been fairly impressed with Needy Cat Games' work on Mantic's board games.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 21, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I hate to say it, but I'm starting to get really frustrated with the use of Kickstarter, et al as the end all, be all way to sell new games.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that board gaming has become a massive, massive thing and lots of designers with new perspectives are seeing the limelight they deserve. That part is awesome. What I hate is constantly coming across a new review for a game that looks really fascinating, I go to look it up, and oh no, it was a KS that ended two months ago and there's no real way to buy the game. No actual shop page, no back order, nothing. Sometimes there's a late KS option, but rarely even then you aren't getting your game for at least six months.

On the other side, you have the board game Kick Starters out there that have "already been funded" but somehow need 10x-20x their original goal and there's a bajillion out there to sift through and they're advertising like crazy all over FB and other sites. And if you want to wait for a review, too bad, it's too late to order. And don't get me started with KS only expansions.

And when you finally get a hold of what you want to try, everyone online has somehow moved on to the next shiny thing.

How do you folks keep track of this poo poo without getting left behind? Outside of cons (thanks COVID anti-vaxxers), how do you keep track of all this?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solkanar512 posted:

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to get really frustrated with the use of Kickstarter, et al as the end all, be all way to sell new games.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that board gaming has become a massive, massive thing and lots of designers with new perspectives are seeing the limelight they deserve. That part is awesome. What I hate is constantly coming across a new review for a game that looks really fascinating, I go to look it up, and oh no, it was a KS that ended two months ago and there's no real way to buy the game. No actual shop page, no back order, nothing. Sometimes there's a late KS option, but rarely even then you aren't getting your game for at least six months.

On the other side, you have the board game Kick Starters out there that have "already been funded" but somehow need 10x-20x their original goal and there's a bajillion out there to sift through and they're advertising like crazy all over FB and other sites. And if you want to wait for a review, too bad, it's too late to order. And don't get me started with KS only expansions.

And when you finally get a hold of what you want to try, everyone online has somehow moved on to the next shiny thing.

How do you folks keep track of this poo poo without getting left behind? Outside of cons (thanks COVID anti-vaxxers), how do you keep track of all this?

I've heard this discussed somewhere, not sure if it was a con or a podcast, but yeah, board games as a thing that people actually play with other people and then introduce their friends to are at odds with Kickstarter-only releases. At least with TTRPGs the PDFs almost always become available later.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

On the other side, you have the board game Kick Starters out there that have "already been funded" but somehow need 10x-20x their original goal
Mini-heavy boardgames all do this and it's super annoying. I get why they do it though -- if you've ever watched a kickstarter that is honest about their actual funding goals it's crazy to see people dropping out after a day or two when the goal isn't met immediately. "FUNDED IN 5 MINUTES!" is somehow an effective marketing gimmic.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

I think it boils down to only backing the things that YOU and/or players at your TABLE enjoy. I feel like I've got a fairly fleshed out collection now, so I'm only really interested in adding things that are unique or that you can see the quality is going to be there. I'm also not a guy who paints minis, nor do any of my friends paint, so minis FOMO isn't a worry for me either. As I said to GreenBuckanneer I really really like the look of Solar Sphere, but I can't justify it above just grabbing the 2019 version Castles of Burgundy off the shelf as it comes with a fuckload of expansions built in.

Unfortunately the FOMO formula that KS boardgames is built around is here to stay, and I agree with you that it's lovely, but calibrating your own internal metric of what you want vs what is actually worthwhile is unfortunately something you're going to have to learn how to do yourself.

WRT actually keeping on top of things I personally use:
- Kickstarter Boardgames - Sorted by newest first
- Rahdo on Youtube showcases a lot of upcoming games, so it's always good to check in now and then
- Reddit does a roundup of games launching each week
- And a Roundup of games ending soon

And yeah, again, I 100% loving hate finding Cool New Game and then finding out I missed out on the KS boat.
It sucks.
There isn't a solution.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Mini-heavy boardgames all do this and it's super annoying. I get why they do it though -- if you've ever watched a kickstarter that is honest about their actual funding goals it's crazy to see people dropping out after a day or two when the goal isn't met immediately. "FUNDED IN 5 MINUTES!" is somehow an effective marketing gimmic.

Bug Council of Backyardia, which failed to fund and I backed, had an interesting take on this.
(I think this game is dope and they're relaunching soon.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/engrogames/bug-council-of-backyardia/posts/3267694

quote:

The Psychology of Crowdfunding

Crowdfunding is really an amazing tool to help small creator's (such as myself) fulfill their dreams. It is absolutely incredible how someone can introduce their idea to the world and see first hand how people believe in them and their product. However, there is a wealth of consumer psychology behind why a person backs a project and what makes a project successful. One of the most important things is the appearance of success. Thought experiment: You are strolling along Kickstarter and you find 2 very similar products that interest you. One of them is 30% funded and the other is 110% funded. Which one are you more likely to back? Of course, this isn't an exact science, but the bulk of Kickstarter users are more likely to support a project that is already near or beyond it's funding goal, even more-so if there is a possibility that their pledge can help to shape it into a better product (such as with stretch goals).

If you see a game at 110% funded you immediately go "ooooh I wonder what KS exclusive stretch goals there are!~" and check it out.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EverettLO posted:

People can complain that Blacklist Games has like three unfulfilled miniatures Kickstarters still on the books. The big problem to me is the miniatures, though. They lack a lot of the character of Blood Bowl, Guild Ball or Dreadball miniatures. I think I would have a tough time telling teams apart without fairly vibrant paint job to help with identification. Sizes, poses, and clothing are all a little too close for comfort.

On the plus side, I have been fairly impressed with Needy Cat Games' work on Mantic's board games.
I'm in the same boat where for months leading up to this they advertised the minis on Facebook and I was like, "I wish these were more distinct and either didn't have helmets or had much lighter helmets."
It's very hard to identify whether a player is an orc, human, or elf. Thankfully, the minis have snap-on colored bases because I'm probably not painting the minis and wouldn't be able to tell which team is which. Even seeing which of your own players is which might be a problem.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is there a reason the pitch is so small? Seems odd.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Infinitum posted:

You can flip the script a bit as well, and you do the organising and just have someone else host? Not sure if this advice is helpful for you or not :v:

Just for posterity, I'm venting here, but I don't vent that to them. We make it so that it switching from Person A's house as the host, then Person B, then Person C depending on who's available and who can do that, and such. I personally can't host, because I'm in a tiny studio apartment and live with my gf, there's barely enough room for both of us, much less 6 people around a table that would barely fit in the kitchen area. I do have the most boardgames, and tend to provide tons of options per event so we can diceroll for whatever, and I do the facilitating. I just wish I could be lazy sometimes and they'd offer without asking, but I see where you're coming from.

Infinitum posted:

I thought this was very neat, but I am likely to grab the 2019 version Castles of Burgundy over it
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drandagames/solar-sphere-harness-the-power-of-the-stars

I like the concept of dice rolls for activations and the fact that bad rolls can still be beneficial.

I already backed this, I bought Solar Storm last time from them, and my group loved it, so I picked up this one too. Never played "castles of Burgundy" though, is that similar to this "solar sphere"?

edit: looks like this is similar to castles of burgundy. Interesting. I prefer the spaceship premise, though

malkav11 posted:

I've heard some good things about Veilwraith but I'm gonna stick with my two Kilforth games and maybe circle back to Veilwraith if I find I really love Kilforth. Don't really have any opinions about the rest. have seen some love for Hellboy but it doesn't look like it would do enough for me personally to pay those prices or deal with that amount of minis.

Veilwrath and Kilforth seem to be separate things (same universe, different games). I ended up buying one of the last copies of Veilwrath (since it's out of stock on Gamefound, and the creator said he has some copies on his website) but jesus christ, $130USD for game+expansion + £30 shipping was a bit of a rich bullet to bite, but I did because I don't really have any "primarily single player" board games. Apparently you can do up to 4 players but at £30 each, not including expansion, that's a bit too expensive.

there's also this one I am keen to try out, but it's out of stock:
https://hallornothingproductions.co.uk/shop/ols/products/lifeform

Same company, but not sure if there's any alternative. The "one player is a savage alien and you have to get the gently caress out of the ship before it eats you" is right down my alley, though.

Another thing:

I've never heard of Kilforth before today, which one should I get? that also looks interesting... (my poor wallet...:negative:)
edit 2: buying Shadow of Kilforth + all expansions is about $250 including shipping...gonna pass on that for now...

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 21, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ok so I've reached a few milestones before I can launch a mini kickstarter of my own, so I'm posting on adrenaline fumes here. Apologies in advance. :P

Anyway, I've got my company (Far-flung Figures) registered properly at the tax office so I can no do business like a big boy! After that I rounded up the final ducks, making it an even 23 ducks. These will now be sent off to the industrial dwarf kin of the Ruhr area, where a proper casting company will look at which ones are ok to be cast. Then they'll make a few master copies for me and send them back for inspection, and also for painting up before launching the kickstarter.

Here's the whole gang forming up for a good-bye party:

I almost feel sad to send them away, but I'm also super stoked to see them hopefully come back in metal form.

I've also been busy putting together a good spreadsheet for various costs, so that it'll be easy to calculate the break-even point once I have all the proper costs sorted out. Right now, it's looking at a break-even point of about 600 euro, which I feel pretty confident with.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Not to be completely bitter, but I was able to get a late Kickstarter on Long Shot: The Dice Game, (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/perplext/long-shot-the-dice-game/, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/295374/long-shot-dice-game) which looks like the sort of thing my normal group would like as a lighter game, or for after Thanksgiving dinner with the family.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Our "light" games tend to be like, sushi-go, fluxx, boss monster, etc

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

EverettLO posted:

People can complain that Blacklist Games has like three unfulfilled miniatures Kickstarters still on the books.

Not just three: This will be their sixth simultaneous unfulfilled miniatures project. Two of those are a year overdue, and another is about to pass the estimate with no sign of shipping starting any time soon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Arcsech posted:

Not just three: This will be their sixth simultaneous unfulfilled miniatures project. Two of those are a year overdue, and another is about to pass the estimate with no sign of shipping starting any time soon.

In a similar vein I've been looking at a lot of dice KS's (Because shiny math rocks make the click clack sound for my Goblin brain)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcanistsarmoryllc/healers-dice-rainbow-edition-by-arcanists-armory
I like the shape of the D4s

Est Delivery: July 2023 :laffo:

quote:

Will the project really ship in 2023?

We are a small new company. We have now run a small number of kickstarters and fulfilled one more. However, the world is crazy right now, especially for manufacturing and shipping. We are committed to fulfillment by 2023 in July, but like the fireball kickstarter that we committed to ship by December of next year, if things are done early we have no problem workign ahead of schedule. :)

Not inspiring any confidence in me.

Plus I found similar poo poo within 2min of googling - https://diceenvy.com calls them Infinity D4s

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
This looks pretty cool, going to have to keep an eye on it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've never heard of Kilforth before today, which one should I get? that also looks interesting... (my poor wallet...:negative:)
edit 2: buying Shadow of Kilforth + all expansions is about $250 including shipping...gonna pass on that for now...

Shadows of Kilforth and Gloom of Kilforth are roughly equivalent, and play exactly the same (the two can even be combined into one game). The "Dark" and "Pimp My" expansions are totally unnecessary -- "Dark" is just alternate card art (either more gory or, more commonly, more boobs), and "Pimp My" is like fancier tokens and dice. The only real additional content expansions are the Encounter and Adventures ones, and that's just some more cards to shuffle in, they don't change the mechanics.

If you want to try them out, you can totally just get Shadows on its own and see if you like the gameplay. I have both games plus the two content expansions, I like the game quite a bit. Then if you dig that, grab Adventures and Gloom when/if it comes back into stock.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Our "light" games tend to be like, sushi-go, fluxx, boss monster, etc

Sushi-go is really a great game for so many different crowds. I'm using it to get my nieces and nephews into board gaming.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

Not to be completely bitter, but I was able to get a late Kickstarter on Long Shot: The Dice Game, (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/perplext/long-shot-the-dice-game/, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/295374/long-shot-dice-game) which looks like the sort of thing my normal group would like as a lighter game, or for after Thanksgiving dinner with the family.

I’ve played this on TTS several times and it’s very good for what it is.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Veilwrath and Kilforth seem to be separate things (same universe, different games).

Yeah, I know. But I've not played anything by Hall or Nothing before backing Shadows of Kilforth, and I'm still kind of unsure whether I'll actually like Kilforth - it looked fun enough in the one gameplay video I watched, but also pretty low on actual theme, which usually doesn't bode well for me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, I know. But I've not played anything by Hall or Nothing before backing Shadows of Kilforth, and I'm still kind of unsure whether I'll actually like Kilforth - it looked fun enough in the one gameplay video I watched, but also pretty low on actual theme, which usually doesn't bode well for me.

Well, I ordered Veilwraith so it'll probably be here, in like a month, and then I'll post about it here.

The developer emailed me directly to tell me they'd ship it out asap but that covid delays are a thing.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This thread, previously backed KS, reddit, other boardgamers. I don't really go to cons because there are virtually none around here (even pre-covid).

I don't think I've come across a game I wanted that I missed out on KS because I didn't hear about it.

I miss out on a few I wish I had known about because I usually check kickstarter like 1 time a year. Since having to go back into the office I just browse kickstarter like once a week to see if there's anything good.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 22, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solkanar512 posted:

This thread, previously backed KS, reddit, other boardgamers. I don't really go to cons because there are virtually none around here (even pre-covid).

I don't think I've come across a game I wanted that I missed out on KS because I didn't hear about it.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Any thoughts on the Into The Odd remaster?

Apparently I'm a sucker for anything Johan Nohr touches.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mouzer posted:

Any thoughts on the Into The Odd remaster?

Are your familiar with system? As a big fan of it, even over Electric Bastionland, the remaster is basically updating everything I want and nothing I don't.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mouzer posted:

Any thoughts on the Into The Odd remaster?.
More like It The Owns.

It was a cool game and everything they've said about the remaster has made it look cooler.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
In other news, Ion Designs had announced the latest High Frontier stuff, being:

* a module for the base game called Exodus that contains "contracts" players can complete for rewards, and some new tech.

* a new co-op game Interstellar based on the solo game included in HF3. Steer your sublight starship to a new home while resources dwindle and the crew age and get dementia

Both sound sufficiently interesting (missions could really change up HF and Interstellar was a crazy solo game) but HF hardly needs more stuff and delivery is in a year, so ...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.backerkit.com/call_to_a...CtWih9TREVDt2gE

Anyone hear anything good about voidfall?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I love Nigel Buckle's previous game, Omega Centauri. Turczi is obviously good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

nonathlon posted:

In other news, Ion Designs had announced the latest High Frontier stuff, being:

To anyone interested, just pretend I made a robust "maybe make sure you know who Eklund is and his various controversies for defending colonialism , climate change denialism and rape apologia among others before giving him your money" comment here.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

To anyone interested, just pretend I made a robust "maybe make sure you know who Eklund is and his various controversies for defending colonialism , climate change denialism and rape apologia among others before giving him your money" comment here.

You said "among others" but I want to specifically add being on the side of COVID.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

gschmidl posted:

I am a huge fan of Omega Centauri, glad this got shared!

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

DalaranJ posted:

Are your familiar with system? As a big fan of it, even over Electric Bastionland, the remaster is basically updating everything I want and nothing I don't.

Not familiar with the system or with Bastionland, but it does look cool

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

gschmidl posted:

His even more recent "previous game" is the Imperium Classics/Legends deckbuilder which was also a collab with Turczy and also very, very good (at least at solo and 2P).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want some Hobbyist Board Games? 'COURSE YA DO!

Eastern Empires just launched
Which can be combined with Western Empires
To form Megazord Empires for up to 18 players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peN_7t9U31A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pBXSGZtS5E

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Infinitum posted:

I absolutely do not need this in my life, and even if I owned it, I would never use it to its full potential.

And yet!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This guy gets it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I own Mega Civilization, so is this 100% redundant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Man if they sell Western Empires via the pledge manager at a discount I might be interested...

rydiafan posted:

I own Mega Civilization, so is this 100% redundant?

My understanding is that Empires is a reimplementation, but there is an Upgrade and Errata kit available that brings you inline if you want.
https://www.westernempires.com/product/upgradekit/
https://www.westernempires.com/product/erratakit/