Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Update

I am now back from PTO and I have about 30 emails from crazy CISO. She assigned me a few "projects" that she made up herself that she gave me next day deadlines for while she knew I was on PTO. Probably lining up my termination. She basically is sending these and other emails like she is expecting me to be working, despite our conversations over teams. We had a meeting this morning and she asked me "where have you been, you no showed all week" and we went down that rabbit hole of discussion a second time. I had sent an email to the CEO clarifying "this shutdown is for everyone, correct?" which he replied "yep, have a great break!". I forwarded this to her and she basically called me a liar.

We have since worked out a few issues on some projects and otherwise had a normal day. Paychecks still coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sickening posted:

Update

I am now back from PTO and I have about 30 emails from crazy CISO. She assigned me a few "projects" that she made up herself that she gave me next day deadlines for while she knew I was on PTO. Probably lining up my termination. She basically is sending these and other emails like she is expecting me to be working, despite our conversations over teams. We had a meeting this morning and she asked me "where have you been, you no showed all week" and we went down that rabbit hole of discussion a second time. I had sent an email to the CEO clarifying "this shutdown is for everyone, correct?" which he replied "yep, have a great break!". I forwarded this to her and she basically called me a liar.

We have since worked out a few issues on some projects and otherwise had a normal day. Paychecks still coming.

This saga is amazing. It's incredible how funny this stuff can be when the target of the crazy boss does not give a poo poo if they get fired.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Got a second interview with the IQ test folks. How many red flags do y’all see in the following:

6 person team
10 hour workday on the job page
In interview mentioned that it’s not a 9-5 and that if weekend work came up the whole team would be working
“We do things the (insert company name) way”
Sent me IQ test as assessment
Is a MSP
Said 75% of their work was cloud, 25% on prem
Mentioned they do run cables for people
One of the two interviewers on the call was on client prem setting up a new server
Didn’t give me a client count

Yet I’m somehow not scared?

This is like an entire list of red flags!

Sickening posted:

Update

I'm still betting on your promotion to CISO within the next few months. If I'm right, you have to hire me to basically be the new you!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Paychecks still coming.

lmao

skipdogg posted:

:yotj: Congrats

Too many red flags for me. You gotta do what you gotta do, but if you have other options I'd drop that place.

Thomamelas posted:

This feels like the right amount of flags, if your in Moscow for the Mayday parade in the early 80s.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not? Lmao

I'm not. My last job was a 60+ 24/7/365 where I covered all kinds of crazy shifts on the regular. I suppose you could say I'm used to it. I did have a feeling ya'll would get a serious kick out of it though!

In weeks of applying, the only responses I've gotten are this company and a school district (of like 30 applications). I could keep playing the applying game, but really I want to get some income again dammit.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I get that, everyone needs a paycheck even if the environment isn't great, so you gotta do what you gotta do. I didn't want to poo poo all over that job super hard though.

MSP's are good for 1 thing though, learning a lot about a lot, very quickly.

Expand your search to remote jobs if you haven't already. Make sure you're LinkedIn is fully updated and fleshed out and full of wonderful keywords and you set the open to work status.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't see them terminating you with what evidence they have so far, it opens them up to wrongful termination suits.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

lmao

I'm not. My last job was a 60+ 24/7/365 where I covered all kinds of crazy shifts on the regular. I suppose you could say I'm used to it. I did have a feeling ya'll would get a serious kick out of it though!

In weeks of applying, the only responses I've gotten are this company and a school district (of like 30 applications). I could keep playing the applying game, but really I want to get some income again dammit.

I was laid off shortly after the pandemic started, and out of work for 3 months. So I do know that feeling. Make that cheddar, have some steady income rolling in, then reevaluate once the dust settles.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thomamelas posted:

This feels like the right amount of flags, if your in Moscow for the Mayday parade in the early 80s.

I'm stealing this.

Soren_
Apr 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Update

good thing Teams stores everything in a folder in e-mails, so you could always bust that out if she starts fibbin to other c levels.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Soren_ posted:

good thing Teams stores everything in a folder in e-mails, so you could always bust that out if she starts fibbin to other c levels.

I have recorded our conversations externally with a voice recorder for a while now. I am not too worried. Her behavior is toxic, she is obviously mentally unwell, but its kind of not affecting me because the situation is so bizarre that I can't really do anything to change it. When we talk, I assume she is about to ask me to do something impossible, she will say something nonsensical, and I will do my best to state fact and clearly communicate what I can do regardless of her feelings.

She just mentioned today that she was given the go ahead to expand the team of 1 to 4. Awesome, as there is plenty of work to do. Terrible, because there are other people trying to do big things and I hate that 3 others might fall into this trap.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sickening posted:

I have recorded our conversations externally with a voice recorder for a while now. I am not too worried. Her behavior is toxic, she is obviously mentally unwell, but its kind of not affecting me because the situation is so bizarre that I can't really do anything to change it. When we talk, I assume she is about to ask me to do something impossible, she will say something nonsensical, and I will do my best to state fact and clearly communicate what I can do regardless of her feelings.

She just mentioned today that she was given the go ahead to expand the team of 1 to 4. Awesome, as there is plenty of work to do. Terrible, because there are other people trying to do big things and I hate that 3 others might fall into this trap.

You know what to do here.

Bring 3 more goons into this racket :sun:

We know she's crazy anyway, going in with an extra paycheck makes that lot easier to deal with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wibla posted:

You know what to do here.

Bring 3 more goons into this racket :sun:

We know she's crazy anyway, going in with an extra paycheck makes that lot easier to deal with.

Goons only know one thing, how to gently caress up up a good situation.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I was under the impression 10 hour workdays were normal if your standard workweek was 4 days rather than 5? Working over your offdays if poo poo hits the fan also seems normal? Or am I being too naïve and not reading into the flags enough?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I was under the impression 10 hour workdays were normal if your standard workweek was 4 days rather than 5? Working over your offdays if poo poo hits the fan also seems normal? Or am I being too naïve and not reading into the flags enough?

4 day work week at an MSP?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

GreenNight posted:

I actually have no professional experience in IT yet so I don't have expectations either way, but I've interviewed at MSSPs who specifically said the workweek was four 10 hour days.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

for a MSP in my experience you're expected 40 hours a week + any issues during the week + weekend work to not cause outages.

It's really terrible work. Everyone is salary too so the owner can buy more boats and you also need to bill at least 10k a month to get your 4.5k pay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So the org is migrating an Isilon cluster from a legacy domain to the main one. They're migrating ACLs on top-level folders and mapping them to accounts on the main domain for us. But that's going to leave tens of thousands of subfolders suddenly missing.

Yes, we're bad at organizing file shares.

Is there a commercial tool that can at least report on the ACLs on the old shares for us ?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Last night, after some back and forth with someone in my mastermind group, I scheduled Gmail to send AWS an acceptance email at lunch today.

Lunch came and went. The email was sent. I assume I'll pass the background check and once I get the all-clear I'll tell my boss.

I still have misgivings about working for Amazon, I dunno, but I guess I found out how much of my political/philosophical talk was just talk.

Thanks thread for being a positive impact on my career

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The world is a gently caress but you gotta take care of yourself and family and enjoy life.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Update

This is absolutely incredible and the worst case scenario is they pay you to leave quietly

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mllaneza posted:

So the org is migrating an Isilon cluster from a legacy domain to the main one. They're migrating ACLs on top-level folders and mapping them to accounts on the main domain for us. But that's going to leave tens of thousands of subfolders suddenly missing.

Yes, we're bad at organizing file shares.

Is there a commercial tool that can at least report on the ACLs on the old shares for us ?

My brain isn't working right now, but I've did a poo poo ton of file share migrations with my AD migrations in the past, and SetACL was a lifesaver. We usually had funding for the Quest software tool and used it's vmover.exe utility, but SetACL is very powerful.

https://helgeklein.com/setacl/feature-set/

There's also some powershell stuff in the script gallery that can run a report

1 more edit: subinacl from the windows 2003 toolkit can generate a report as well and is very powerful if needing to change anything. I think SetACL is easier to use though

LMK if you have any questions, I spent like 5 years of my life doing AD migrations and ended up having to reacl hundreds of file shares over the years.

Thanks Ants posted:

This is absolutely incredible and the worst case scenario is they pay you to leave quietly

I'm kinda curious if he took what he already has and asked for 6 months salary to go away quietly if they wouldn't just cut a check right then and there.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 22, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Today I’m combing powershell and terraform to do horrible things to terraform state and this is exactly why I enjoy my job

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Anyone have any good resources for Azure networking? I have Pluralsight access but haven't found anything that jumps out.

I'm a total cloud noob but our Azure setup sounds and looks like a total mess to me. There's like two separate vNets (Prod and Management but nobody has been able to provide a definition of what goes in either. Totally arbitrary names), then each vNet has a pair of Checkpoint firewalls and those firewalls also connect to each other directly - pretty sure a Checkpoint reseller designed and sold this to us btw - but I was poking around the other day and found a server I was testing from in the Prod vNet sends it's traffic directly to the Management vNet, bypassing both firewall pairs, but the return traffic went by the Checkpoint pair which obviously gets blocked. It's gross and probably a big security risk and huge waste of money.

Were supposed to be doing an on-prem firewall replacement project, hopefully Palo Alto, that I'll probably end up being heavily involved in but the want to do the Azure firewalls at the same so I'm going to need to be able to come up with something. I've gone over the PA Azure design guides but seems a bit over the top and kind of overwhelming since they're basically proposing you have an architecture that lets you scale out VMs infinitely and also uses loadbalancers just to avoid this dumb 3 minute Azure API HA failover trash.

They seem to think they're just going to move over like 150 on-prem always on windows VMs with some in-house apps to Azure and end up with zero on-prem presence.

Yeah there isn't really a need to ever use the cloud version of a hardware providers software in the cloud (maybe some heavy hitters like F5). IMO you should literally start that he beginning, Az-900 level. This will walk you through all the uniqueness and the changes from a conventional Server room\Datacenter Paradigm. If you're freaking out about vNets you're going to lose your poo poo on resource groups. Here, take this 2 day course and get a voucher, for free.

Also you can explain how loving expensive this bout to get. Then, run when they don't realize it and get a job that does cloud right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lol, this is the first time I've seen it from this side. I've seen "entry level" positions that want 1-3 years of experience in something not normally found at entry level jobs, but this is the first time I've been a candidate for one of those and then when it comes down to salary they say "Well we really are looking for more of an entry level person so the pay reflects it."

$35 an hour on C2H for 1-3 years of python/powershell/bash/batch sounds right for Denver, right? :laffo:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Wibla posted:

I'm stealing this.

Feel free.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

then each vNet has a pair of Checkpoint firewalls and those firewalls also connect to each other directly - pretty sure a Checkpoint reseller designed and sold this to us btw - but I was poking around the other day and found a server I was testing from in the Prod vNet sends it's traffic directly to the Management vNet, bypassing both firewall pairs, but the return traffic went by the Checkpoint pair which obviously gets blocked. It's gross and probably a big security risk and huge waste of money.

At least in AWS, Checkpoint publishes CloudFormation stacks for standing up their reference architecture. I would expect the same to be true of Azure. They're designed to extend the on-prem paradigm into the cloud, where now you have a single VM (or HA pair of VMs) acting as a choke point of failure to route all your traffic through. I dont think anyone is using them who does know better and doesn't have unreasonable compliance requirements.

The Checkpoints are directly connected to each other as an HA pair so that if one blows up, the other picks up the load with only a very minor hiccup. That part at least works well.
But if you aren't routing all traffic in your vNets through your Checkpoint firewalls in the cloud, you're not using the architecture the way it's designed to be used. Also its a weird and dumb architecture. My company looked at it for 5 minutes to solve a VPN problem we were having but it was weird and dumb enough that we bailed.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We run Palo Altos in AWS & GCP that do all of our east to west and egress traffic inspection because we're incredibly security centric. It's a custom solution I architected with Free Range Routing to avoid SNATing, but we never have any major issues with it. We've had some minor issues with performance as we grew but nothing a scale up can't fix.

We have the same design ready to go in Azure, just haven't put enough resources there to require that kind of inspection.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 23, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

incoherent posted:

Here, take this 2 day course and get a voucher, for free.

Thank you for posting this. Don't know if I'll be able to use it due to the new job, but I signed up anyway just in case.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm in a really weird position right now where I'm in the interview process (including first phone calls) for like 8-10 positions right now and there are roles that pay maybe 1.3-1.5x as much as I make right now that I feel iffy on the qualifications for, but then there are jobs that pay 2-3x as much as I make now that I feel much more confident about. Is that normal? It feels like if I don't qualify for a basic-rear end administrator job I shouldn't be in a position where I can speak confidently on cloud engineering/architecture or DevOps stuff but maybe it's just a matter of the skills needed for one not necessarily translating to the more senior?

I just had a phone call with the DevOps manager for a company that has some similarities to a few companies I have worked with in the past, I worked those similarities in, discussed a crazy convoluted Powershell script I had to write in the past to get a project done within the security and software limitations I had, and emphasized that while I was proud of making it work I would not suggest anyone do it that way if they have another option, she seemed very happy with the whole thing. Then I look on Glassdoor and see that the estimate for the position is $140-160k base salary per year, I'm making $55k right now. That's just mind-boggling and mentally I'm split between thinking "Don't question it, just don't gently caress it up" and "there must be something I'm missing, this is never going to work."

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm in a really weird position right now where I'm in the interview process (including first phone calls) for like 8-10 positions right now and there are roles that pay maybe 1.3-1.5x as much as I make right now that I feel iffy on the qualifications for, but then there are jobs that pay 2-3x as much as I make now that I feel much more confident about. Is that normal? It feels like if I don't qualify for a basic-rear end administrator job I shouldn't be in a position where I can speak confidently on cloud engineering/architecture or DevOps stuff but maybe it's just a matter of the skills needed for one not necessarily translating to the more senior?

I just had a phone call with the DevOps manager for a company that has some similarities to a few companies I have worked with in the past, I worked those similarities in, discussed a crazy convoluted Powershell script I had to write in the past to get a project done within the security and software limitations I had, and emphasized that while I was proud of making it work I would not suggest anyone do it that way if they have another option, she seemed very happy with the whole thing. Then I look on Glassdoor and see that the estimate for the position is $140-160k base salary per year, I'm making $55k right now. That's just mind-boggling and mentally I'm split between thinking "Don't question it, just don't gently caress it up" and "there must be something I'm missing, this is never going to work."

There's a lot to be said for finding a person who has confidence in you, and wants to hire the person and teach the skills.
I went from $75k - 125k in two years leveraging skills I had learned but didn't think meant anything (they totally did) and skills I didn't even realize I had, compared to my peers.
She may see something in you that you don't, which is fair, and thinks you'll excell at what she needs.
You can teach "how to manage server 2019 in the enterprise", you can't teach "given a limited situation, engineer an out of the box solution while still realizing that it should never be done that way if there is any alternative".

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hi service desk I need help. *Copies CIO*

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Zotix posted:

Hi service desk I need help. *Copies CIO*

Service Desk: "Agreed. Here's our company documentation on how to submit a good ticket."

/closeticket

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Service Desk: "Agreed. Here's our company documentation on how to submit a good ticket."

/closeticket

I... Wish.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Zotix posted:

I... Wish.

I know. But the thought feels good, doesn't it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I finally got my employees promotion approved and got him an 8% raise with another 3% EOY. Not huge, but feels good man.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

I used to do 4x10s at my first job which was helpdesk, but I was also working a second job while my wife did her Master's program, no on-call and poo poo either obviously.

I even kept those 4x10s for a while until I got promoted, I really loving miss that schdule.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah for sure, I'd work that in a minute.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I started a new job a few months ago, but it's not something I want to do. It's a small aerospace manufacturer, but we're owned by a larger European company with 1,000-1,500 employees. Basically do all the IT-related poo poo, there's the IT Director, me, and soon to be a helpdesk-type person at our location here in the USA. There's also a person similar to me at another, smaller location here in the USA. Technically they are another division, but the same IT director oversees both. Anyway...

I can deal with all the ridiculous busywork involved with all of the government (DoD) or industry mandated auditing and security bullshit. I can deal with having to 'manage' bumbling MSP's and contractors half-assing all our projects. The work is just so boring and pointless. Dealing trying to get vendors software to mishmash together, replacing a wireless system, bringing in new ISP's, upgrading whatever to a new verison... It's all stuff that I've done a million times over the last 20 years.

I've worked in software development before: iOS and web (Rails, Python, php). However, I don't know if I would want to programming full-time. I've also worked with Linux quite a bit. I like tearing into a complicated project, one place I worked we had php running on an AS/400 that accessed DB2 on the same machine, and another Linux server pulling XML data over from that and interacting with an e-commerce solution.

I like the open-source development model and everything that goes with it. I think an ideal job would involve a company that has some large product or group of products, where I could troubleshoot customer setups, implement new ones, try to fix or identify bugs that get escalated beyond level I/II customer support...

I'm not 100% sold on working remote but I could give it a shot. The question is where do I go to find jobs like this? I need to finish studying for my RHCSA so I can at least have something, I don't have any certifications or a degree. I make a bit under $100k right now and I'd like to make a bit over.

Now the kicker is I have a 13 month old and another one coming at the beginning of next year. So I'm kind of stuck where I am for a bit, because of health insurance deductibles and all that poo poo. But at least it gives me some time to plan it out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pivot to infrastructure automation, it is the bees knees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Then I look on Glassdoor and see that the estimate for the position is $140-160k base salary per year, I'm making $55k right now. That's just mind-boggling and mentally I'm split between thinking "Don't question it, just don't gently caress it up" and "there must be something I'm missing, this is never going to work."

Or, and really think about this, you're underpaid and should stop worrying about the multiple in pay. Or you've lucked into a unicorn and it's "gently caress yeah, pay me". Or as someone else said, maybe you really clicked with a hiring manager who needs exactly the kind of thinking you demonstrated.

As an aside, I know not everyone thrives on leading questions in interviews designed to get the candidate to tell me the hiring manager a story about why they're awesome, but OP nailed that one.

Personality and confidence count for a lot in interviews. I've spoken to people who, my boss and I agreed, were level 1/2 lifers not suited to be turned loose in the labs to deal with vendors, scientists, badly written instrument control programs, and whatever Global unleashes on us this week. I've also cut interviews short to ask if they want the job; my best example of that was poached from me in 15 months, and deservedly so.

If someone tells you that you shine, believe them. Especially if they';re offering you interesting work, room to grow, and fat stacks of cash.