Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

if the dusk guy made a spiritual successor to sof1 that parodied/satirized the tough-guy counterterrorism commando vibe of the original i would buy that poo poo so fast

This is what should happen. I also want something that’s like Far Cry Blood Dragon, but, ya know, fun.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Now I'm just remembering that amazingly lovely Battle Los Angeles tie-in game that was only released digitally for the Xbox 360, it's the kind of thing I'd love to see Civvie cover but it would have to be as part of one of those videos where he discusses multiple games cause from my recollection it's a very short and shallow game

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The United States posted:

Don't think the call of duty spinoff featuring Oliver North from the company that hired a bunch of Bush era torture apologists to help union bust and ingratiate themselves into America's extra-fascist wing really qualifies as an alternative here

Black Ops was the last one I played, and I loved how the campaign ended with a big old "America, gently caress yeah!" shot as you surface from the underwater base you blew up (? It's been a while) with butt-rock music playing, and then it immediately cuts to suggesting that your character still had some brainwashing and is the one who assassinated JFK. I assumed it was an intentional bit of mockery of that "America!" stuff, and then they had Oliver North for Black Ops 2 and it was like... uh... hm.

drrockso20 posted:

Now I'm just remembering that amazingly lovely Battle Los Angeles tie-in game that was only released digitally for the Xbox 360, it's the kind of thing I'd love to see Civvie cover but it would have to be as part of one of those videos where he discusses multiple games cause from my recollection it's a very short and shallow game

It is incredibly short. I played around with the free trial of OnLive way back when, and it offered a 30 minute trial of the games on its service. Since I didn't have money and wouldn't buy a streamed game anyway, I played around with that. They had Red Faction: Guerilla on there for example and I'd see just how much damage I could do in the first 30 minutes of that game for example. Anyway, they had the Battle Los Angeles game on there, and I was able to get like, 75% of the way through the game in those 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure actually beating it was out of the question, but I bet you could make it further than that.

It's a shame, I love alien invasions and I feel bizarrely underserved.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oh my god, why does the SoF guy sound so much like JC Denton?! I checked, it's not the same voice actor.

(timestamped in above clip, 0:33)

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Serephina posted:

Oh my god, why does the SoF guy sound so much like JC Denton?! I checked, it's not the same voice actor.

(timestamped in above clip, 0:33)

I thought the villain's voice sounded familiar; it's the same guy who voices LeChuck.

As far as CoD goes, I like the Black Ops games for being as satirical and goofy as they can get away with, and the cold war setting is way more interesting than WW2 and modern military bullshit.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Nu-MK crosses the line from campy to gross imo (laugh at me if you must) but I think if they kept it stylized and leaned into the 90s schlock tonally again SOF4 could be OK. I’m not sure how it could distinguish itself gameplay-wise though.

Realistic violence in movies used sparingly is shocking and effective, video games make it routine enough to be desensitizing and it's p disgusting. Cartoon violence and gore is just plain fun.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

site posted:

Didn't netherrealm get into some trouble after 11 came out because former devs were saying they were forced to watch irl gore vids or some poo poo

From what I read I don't think the company made people do it, but some members of the company wound up doing that themselves. The details are unclear as from what I can tell it was testimony from one person who didn't go into complete detail. Doesn't really excuse it at all though, it should not be a thing people feel they need to do as a game dev. Trying to make it anatomically accurate is unnecessary anyway as the average person doesn't know jack poo poo about the human body. Like Scorpion can play Shang Tsung's ribs like a xylophone and if he hits the same rib to produce two different tones no one is going to notice and the devs really should not wind up having to look up gory photos as reference.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 21, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Dead Space devs looked at car accident gore as reference also

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I vaguely remember an interview about a particularly violent game about a decade or so ago where they talked about originally planning on using real references to base their gore on but decided very quickly that was a bad idea and came up with other ways to make it come off as feeling real

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blood gibbing effects in Quake remain insanely satisfying

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was an official Blackwater game in 2011. Which is a little strange considering the company had been renamed a couple of times by that point. If you want bad taste.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Who wants to play a Deus Ex style immersive sim made in Unity with a budget of $15 and filled with broken english?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917940/LEMURIA/

-Microsoft SAM voice acting
-Drivable vehicles
-Working Toaster
-Broken cover system
-13 loving gigabyte demo

"just be warned that when the shooting starts its really bad"

Casimir Radon posted:

There was an official Blackwater game in 2011. Which is a little strange considering the company had been renamed a couple of times by that point. If you want bad taste.
Even weirder, it was a Kinect "lightgun" game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIU-N0uYRc

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Weedle posted:

if the dusk guy made a spiritual successor to sof1 that parodied/satirized the tough-guy counterterrorism commando vibe of the original i would buy that poo poo so fast
Dusk: Warrior's Heart

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The United States posted:

Who wants to play a Deus Ex style immersive sim made in Unity with a budget of $15 and filled with broken english?

"just be warned that when the shooting starts its really bad"

I see at least got the shooting right for a Deus Ex clone.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Shattered Steel is fun but for 25 bones it’s pretty slight. 90 minutes or so for the story mode and at the pace I’m going I could probably get all achievements in about 3 and a half hours since it’s just leveling up in firefight mode.

It’s a good time but it has less content than early access shooters like Wrath and Prodeus.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've finished both Arcane Dimensions and Alkaline, are there any other Quake map packs up to that standard?

They were both really good overall, with some caveats. A map like Tears of the False God or Dancing on the Golden Sun are up there as the best maps I've ever played, mod or not, but a lot of the other maps don't come near that level of quality and feel like cut levels from Dissolution of Eternity or something.

On a related note, I saw this trailer on youtube for an upcoming mod called 'Mjolnir' that looks pretty awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgBg2sEmqA

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

khwarezm posted:

feel like cut levels from Dissolution of Eternity or something

wow harsh

edit:

Not sure what will actually meet your standards :-) but some suggestions:

Dwell -- another recent release actually in episode format (rather than hub-start map), several very high quality maps.

Rubicon Rumble Pack -- a sort of ancestor of Alkaline.

Underdark Overbright (must be played using the Copper mod) and The Punishment Due (includes its own version of Copper) -- not about new weapons/monsters like AD and Alkaline, just polished Quake-ness.

The Altar of Storms or Something Wicked This Way Comes if you do prefer new monsters and tidbits. Each is just a single big map (for the most part) rather than a map pack though. You may hit some jank or frustration in these, but they score big for ambition and inventiveness.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 21, 2021

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JLaw posted:

wow harsh

Ok, that might have been a bit much, its only a few levels but they kind of stand out a bit because the rest of them are such high quality.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I actually have CIA Operative: Solo Missions in my hands now. It’s ugly, doesn’t play very well, and all the splash screens look like something from early 00’s era Newgrounds. In short I didn’t miss much by my cousin being a dick and refusing to loan it to me 20 years ago. It’s just a lovely SOF ripoff, but I’m kind of amused by it so I’ll definitely still finish it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

khwarezm posted:

I've finished both Arcane Dimensions and Alkaline, are there any other Quake map packs up to that standard?

They were both really good overall, with some caveats. A map like Tears of the False God or Dancing on the Golden Sun are up there as the best maps I've ever played, mod or not, but a lot of the other maps don't come near that level of quality and feel like cut levels from Dissolution of Eternity or something.

On a related note, I saw this trailer on youtube for an upcoming mod called 'Mjolnir' that looks pretty awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgBg2sEmqA

Most of AD and what I've seen of Mjolnir looks nice and pretty, it's big and impressive and all that, but holy poo poo spending 3 hours on a single Quake map is the opposite of fun. You're allowed to like whatever but I'm obliged to say "THESE MAPS THEY ARE BAD" so burgeoning novice mappers hopefully don't get it in their head that the only way to make an excellent memorable map is to spend half a decade building a hyper detailed monster that requires it's own custom source port just to run without crashing.

Also Smej and Smej2 are good (and hard), also using Copper

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

So I actually have CIA Operative: Solo Missions in my hands now. It’s ugly, doesn’t play very well, and all the splash screens look like something from early 00’s era Newgrounds. In short I didn’t miss much by my cousin being a dick and refusing to loan it to me 20 years ago. It’s just a lovely SOF ripoff, but I’m kind of amused by it so I’ll definitely still finish it.

please share lovely gameplay clips

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1440277328085483531?s=19

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Ayo how tf do I turn on autorun in Soldier of Fortune? Capslock drops the currently selected inventory item and there's no option for it in the keybinds or gameplay options as far as I can see.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ayo how tf do I turn on autorun in Soldier of Fortune? Capslock drops the currently selected inventory item and there's no option for it in the keybinds or gameplay options as far as I can see.

There's an autorun keybind, what I don't remember if that was added by the fanpatch.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Guillermus posted:

There's an autorun keybind, what I don't remember if that was added by the fanpatch.

Hrm I'm using the GoG release. Maybe the community version has it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hrm I'm using the GoG release. Maybe the community version has it.

Slap the SoFplus patch on top of GOG's release (is what I did) and you get a bunch of extra QoL stuff related to controls and graphics added in (like proper widescreen without distortion of the HUD).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

treat posted:

Most of AD and what I've seen of Mjolnir looks nice and pretty, it's big and impressive and all that, but holy poo poo spending 3 hours on a single Quake map is the opposite of fun. You're allowed to like whatever but I'm obliged to say "THESE MAPS THEY ARE BAD" so burgeoning novice mappers hopefully don't get it in their head that the only way to make an excellent memorable map is to spend half a decade building a hyper detailed monster that requires it's own custom source port just to run without crashing.

Also Smej and Smej2 are good (and hard), also using Copper

The only map where I thought the size was a hindrance was the Forgotten Sepulcher, there wasn't enough visual variety or cool set pieces to justify the size and the general grungy swamp aesthetic is a pain to look at after a while, especially since everywhere looks the same so its tedious to navigate.

Also 50 Secrets! Jesus Christ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats Cameron, now where the hell is my Lifeforce Tenka sequel*??

*I know this joke doesn't totally work but Sony bought everyone who made lovely PS1 FPS games such as the more obscure Disruptor which was Insomniac games first ever title. Lifeforce Tenka is just a good rear end name though.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

khwarezm posted:

The only map where I thought the size was a hindrance was the Forgotten Sepulcher, there wasn't enough visual variety or cool set pieces to justify the size and the general grungy swamp aesthetic is a pain to look at after a while, especially since everywhere looks the same so its tedious to navigate.

Also 50 Secrets! Jesus Christ.

Yeah, most of the maps in AD take 30ish minutes if you’re ok at Quake. Tears of a False god is probably an hour to 1.5 hours depending on if you’re 100% it or not. I actually went through it in 45 but I missed the whole bottom section, but I was playing it normally and not actively looking for secrets.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

treat posted:

I don't think we need to lie to aspiring mappers to protect them from themselves. Any amount of time with trenchbroom or whatever editors of choice they might pick up will rapidly dispel any romantic notions of diving straight into an intricately scripted brushwork masterpiece like tears or sepulcher. If you actually think the four big AD maps - Leptis Magna, Foggy Bogbottom, Sepulcher and Tears - are actually bad, i'd love to hear the reasoning.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Foggy Bogbottom isn’t fun to clear. The whole going back hunting for books is murder. It’s a great environment and the encounters aren’t bad at all as far as I can remember, but they needed to find a less tiresome way to actually get the rune. Leptis Magna had a hidden key puzzle tacked on to the end too if I recall, but it was quick enough to solve that I still enjoyed it. Tears and Sepulcher are really enjoyable as well as gorgeous. But any time I think of Bogbottom I’m gonna think of trying to find all those books.

I personally prefer a good coffee break length Quake map to an hour long odyssey, but I’m not gonna dunk on anyone for making a gigantic map, especially if it looks as good as that. But at the same time, scouring through a mostly emptied map looking for hidden poo poo is not what draws me to Quake or like, any other game. With mods or fan games like AD you can kind of take it for granted that the only people who will play are highly invested in the original material, and correspondingly feel free to create these giant worlds with hundreds of enemies and 50 secrets. I even think AD has a good balance of giga-levels to big but not enormous maps like “Crucial Error” down to more modest stuff. But I think it’s pretty telling that modern commercial Quakelikes such as Dusk and Amid Evil stuck to maps which don’t wildly exceed the scope of the original Quake in terms of time per level, and that the one commercial Quakelike which does swing for the fences on scale in the same way as the big Quake fan maps, Wrath, is kind of in development hell because it’s a gigantic pain in the rear end to design, let alone actually get into an editor and make, an entire gameful of that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The mega secrets are secrets, if you refuse to exit a level before you've 100%'d it, I think that's on you.

Bogbottom is great once you're out of the water and it opens up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gotta find the books to get the rune

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The mega secrets are secrets, if you refuse to exit a level before you've 100%'d it, I think that's on you.

The issue is that a lot of the maps have some pretty considerable extra content that you'll miss if you don't find most of the hidden stuff, Tears in particular has a massive brawl in a visually spectacular hidden floor. There's also the runes that you need to get to the final level which tend be hidden within those kinds of secrets.

I don't mind too much since I can just resort to a youtube walkthrough but I can see why this is frustrating, its one thing to miss a secret that's just some extra armor, its another if its like an additional third of the level.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I prefer ad_tfuma and such. More sensible length but still massive and with good encounters

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I just want to say that I'm really impressed by how Alkaline expands on the non-fantasy enemy roster in Quake without significantly deviating from the style. Its pretty well considered with things like the reskins for the ogres or new enemies like the various robots and elite troopers (the super nailgun guys really hammer you hard). It makes it all feel super distinct, almost like midquel between Quake 1 and Quake 2, and honestly I prefer the level and enemy designs in Alkaline compared to Quake 2.

I hope they update it with some more levels in the future.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Make sure to try the recent "Alkaline jam". There's some so-so maps in there, new mappers getting up to speed, but some really good ones too. I just finished Derelict Freighter by Paul Lawitzki and it's probably my favorite so far, but still have a few to go...

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

drrockso20 posted:

I vaguely remember an interview about a particularly violent game about a decade or so ago where they talked about originally planning on using real references to base their gore on but decided very quickly that was a bad idea and came up with other ways to make it come off as feeling real

That was left 4 dead I believe.

I think it was in regard to doing diseased skin and stuff as well and instead of doing reference for that they used like, pictures of potato skin instead.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
FWIW here's some new preview footage of The Force Engine, the latest attempt to reverse engineer Dark Forces. It should be mentioned immediately that the enemies don't do anything yet and while there are plans for graphical enhancement, you won't see it here.

Looks... Good I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3NuFSUvIqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9vxcwoUk5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks pretty good. I’d like to be able to play it since I find dosbox to be a nightmare to mess with.