Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dark Forces has a really weird engine, from what I remember it's closer to build than idtech1, but it handles overlapping sectors on different z planes better than build and has some kind of moving polygon ship fuckery that I don't fully understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Disproportionation posted:

That was left 4 dead I believe.

I think it was in regard to doing diseased skin and stuff as well and instead of doing reference for that they used like, pictures of potato skin instead.

Left 4 Dead 2 Developer Commentary posted:

The infected textures are part hand-painted, part photographic reference. One of our team members had a nightmare folder full of photographs of people suffering from bizarre diseases and injuries. They were so hard to look at that the infected actually contain none of these. Instead, the secret ingredients for infecting normal-looking human textures are photos of housing insulation and potato skins.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dark Forces has a really weird engine, from what I remember it's closer to build than idtech1, but it handles overlapping sectors on different z planes better than build and has some kind of moving polygon ship fuckery that I don't fully understand.

IIRC it's basically just, it could render 3D polygons. But not so well that you could make a whole level out of them. They just looked pretty and could be animated a bit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Congrats Cameron, now where the hell is my Lifeforce Tenka sequel*??

*I know this joke doesn't totally work but Sony bought everyone who made lovely PS1 FPS games such as the more obscure Disruptor which was Insomniac games first ever title. Lifeforce Tenka is just a good rear end name though.

Honestly I liked both those games lol

and the original Warhawk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

IIRC it's basically just, it could render 3D polygons. But not so well that you could make a whole level out of them. They just looked pretty and could be animated a bit.

It's a little smarter than that, I think it has something like Duke Nukem did for vertically stacked sectors or at least collidable polygons (there are a couple of places where you can walk over and under a bridge in the same room). It also had a bunch of random unique tricks thrown in, like the one level where the lighting fades to orange rather than black.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Outside of the awful, awful last (and only) boss fight, SOF really was a lot of fun. I like that it shows you a running score throughout the game but wish it showed your the final tally at the very end. Either way: over 1300 dead terrorists. My one regret is that you don't get to take out Saddam yourself, thus sparing America the tragedy of 9/11.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Honestly I liked both those games lol

and the original Warhawk

I would play sequels to all three of these. Even Crazy Ivan.

I played a lot of FPS games on playstation in hindsight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

haveblue posted:

It's a little smarter than that, I think it has something like Duke Nukem did for vertically stacked sectors or at least collidable polygons (there are a couple of places where you can walk over and under a bridge in the same room). It also had a bunch of random unique tricks thrown in, like the one level where the lighting fades to orange rather than black.

I think dark forces could handle seeing two vertically stacked sectors at the same time, like two balconies or whatever. Build you had to visually disguise things or I think it would flash between which sector it would render.

Bridges in build like at the end of DN3D lvl1 were just sprites with collision, so they couldn't move or anything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was mostly just talking about the 3D polygonal ships, but yeah, DF also had 3D polygonal bridges. You could specify a secondary sector height and place a 3D bridge object at that height and it would look pretty legit. Not much else in the way of actual level geometry on the Z-axis though. Anything resembling that was a very clever illusion.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not exactly an early FPS, but has anyone played Severed Steel, the invincible wallrunning dashing sliding FPS that just came out? I tried the demo and loved it, blasting through like 10 levels or so in *checks Steam* 17 minutes, so I'm just wondering about the longevity of this game.

Asking here because not sure where else do the arcade-style FPS games go

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

Outside of the awful, awful last (and only) boss fight, SOF really was a lot of fun. I like that it shows you a running score throughout the game but wish it showed your the final tally at the very end. Either way: over 1300 dead terrorists. My one regret is that you don't get to take out Saddam yourself, thus sparing America the tragedy of 9/11.

Now I think of it, SoF is another early FPS game that would benefit from a Margaret Thatcher DLC.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

thatcher's views on immigrants and society probably lined up pretty well with those of the average reader of soldier of fortune magazine

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Mordja posted:

Shame they didn't thank the brave fighters of the Mujahedeen in the credits.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

shoeberto posted:

Shame they didn't thank the brave fighters of the Mujahedeen in the credits.

basically the instant the soviets withdrew from afghanistan it collapsed into civil war, again, but worse, with various mujahideen factions rejecting the government established by the peshawar accords and fighting each other for control of the country. by the time soldier of fortune was in development the taliban had completely taken over and the afghan mujahideen were more or less completely wiped out. oops!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

My knowledge of the region is primarily from the tapes found in the first few missions of MGSV so I appreciate those details!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

man i should play mgsv. i've owned it on ps4 for months but it's one of those games where i feel like i really need to be in a place where i can fully absorb and appreciate it before i fire it up. i hear the shooting is really really good and all those gifs i see of attaching guys to prank weather balloons are hilarious

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

man i should play mgsv. i've owned it on ps4 for months but it's one of those games where i feel like i really need to be in a place where i can fully absorb and appreciate it before i fire it up. i hear the shooting is really really good and all those gifs i see of attaching guys to prank weather balloons are hilarious

It has the best gameplay of any game I've ever played. There's maybe one or two missions in the game where you're just dropped into the enemy area with no gear and it's easily the most fun I've had in any singleplayer game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Weedle posted:

thatcher's views on immigrants and society probably lined up pretty well with those of the average reader of soldier of fortune magazine

My views on shooting digital guns at horrible digital people lines up pretty well with the DLC idea tho

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I actually got burned out on MGSV pretty fast. The gameplay is top notch but there's just too much poo poo going on. Like I don't wanna loving deal with Mother Base's revenue deficits or blowing up supply lines so that enemies stop wearing helmets. If I could turn all that stuff off I absolutely would.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Artelier posted:

Not exactly an early FPS, but has anyone played Severed Steel, the invincible wallrunning dashing sliding FPS that just came out? I tried the demo and loved it, blasting through like 10 levels or so in *checks Steam* 17 minutes, so I'm just wondering about the longevity of this game.

Asking here because not sure where else do the arcade-style FPS games go

I posted about it a couple days ago but the game is around 90 minutes long. The firefight mode is fun but you could also get through that pretty fast.

Severed Steel is like a fancy dinner out. It’s really expensive for what is basically a single scallop on a plate drizzled with raspberry creme de lucha and fig sprouts but it tastes amazing. But at the end you’re not quite satisfied so you stop at McDonald’s on the way home.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

shoeberto posted:

I actually got burned out on MGSV pretty fast. The gameplay is top notch but there's just too much poo poo going on. Like I don't wanna loving deal with Mother Base's revenue deficits or blowing up supply lines so that enemies stop wearing helmets. If I could turn all that stuff off I absolutely would.

PC version has all sorts of mods and trainers for this stuff. You can absolutely mod out waiting times and other rubbish so I wouldn't be surprised if you can just cheat in max money or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

It’s fantastic but I agree you should be in a place where you can fully focus on it before starting. It has probably the best 3rd person shooter mechanics of any game in that genre.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mgs v is the one stealth game that is better than splinter cell, but also yeah absolutely get the pc version and cheat your way out of all the bullshit regarding base building and gatekeeping the arsenal behind insane unlock requirements because they are loving stupid. also mods like infinite heaven and the corresponding sides op pack are good

if you can wait a month or two i picked up it and ground zeroes for a total of like 7 bucks last fall during a steam sale

site fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 23, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MGSV freed me of liking the metal gear franchise so Im thankful for that.

I'll buy a revengeance 2 if such a thing became real

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

Congrats Cameron, now where the hell is my Lifeforce Tenka sequel*??

*I know this joke doesn't totally work but Sony bought everyone who made lovely PS1 FPS games such as the more obscure Disruptor which was Insomniac games first ever title. Lifeforce Tenka is just a good rear end name though.

On a side note Tenka is like one of the hardest PS1 games to get to emulate properly I've run across so far due to memory card detection issues.

And if you do get it to run there are other oddities, like the game has cutscenes that play between missions where the player character gives voice over narration during them that servers as the game's plot, but the voices are saved separately from the video file and just play over them. I guess this was done to make it easier to translate to other languages.

But the kicker is that it looks like all the voice overs are saved as one long audio track on the cd, and then is set to just start/stop at specific times for each cutscene. But since the emulators usually have trouble with CD audio, what happens is once you beat the first level and the first cutscene ends - the voice over doesn't stop properly and just keeps on going.

So for like the next solid hour of gameplay you get this weird continuing internal monologue playing where the main character is constantly talking to himself about conspiracies and events that haven't happened yet.

It all comes off like you are playing a person with severe mental issues and if it wasn't just a weird emulator bug from an old console shooter that next to no-one ever played, I'd swear it was the inspiration for how BJ mumbles to himself in Wolfenstein: New Colossus.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 23, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

MGS3 and Peacewalker were better than V.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

site posted:

mgs v is the one stealth game that is better than splinter cell, but also yeah absolutely get the pc version and cheat your way out of all the bullshit regarding base building and gatekeeping the arsenal behind insane unlock requirements because they are loving stupid. also mods like infinite heaven and the corresponding sides op pack are good

if you can wait a month or two i picked up it and ground zeroes for a total of like 7 bucks last fall during a steam sale

The weapon/base unlocks aren’t that ridiculous unless you’re going for the insane ones that are meant for online play and just break single player. I don’t think it’s necessary to cheat playing it for just the single player.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It's honestly just more poo poo than I want to deal with. Like I wanna sit down and just run a mission. When I found out that guards react to headshots by wearing helmets, and you have to explicitly do some extra stuff to disrupt their supply line of helmets to be able to do headshots again, I was just done. It's all a bunch of cool systems on paper but it felt like busywork when I just want to play for a 30-60 minute session and bang out a few missions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SeANMcBAY posted:

The weapon/base unlocks aren’t that ridiculous unless you’re going for the insane ones that are meant for online play and just break single player. I don’t think it’s necessary to cheat playing it for just the single player.

nah. i really really don't want to waste time collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then having to pick up random plants everywhere (some of which only spawn in certain areas of the map and in low quantities), and then make sure i have kidnapped the right guys which specialize in [weapon type], and then find the schematic, and then once you have all that you wait for the development to finish. i just want to skip to the part where I'm playing the loving game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When’s thatchers techbase out

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
so do that, I finished the whole game with a loadout you can get within the first couple of minutes, never felt the need to get more. (silenced tranq, silenced m4, silenced tranq sniper, C4, fultons). The rest are just toys to gently caress around with and absolutely not necessary.

Helmets just make headshots harder, but you can still plonk 'em in the face.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
great, if you ever want to use something other than the base loadouts guess what all you have to do

site fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 23, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When’s thatchers techbase out

tomorrow

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

tomorrow

:aaaaa:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was doing co-op in Blood: Fresh Supply with a buddy and we found out that E2M5 is impossible to complete because there's a wall behind the eyeball key door that isn't supposed to be there.

If Atari let Night Dive patch the game more I'm pretty sure this would have been fixed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zeether posted:

I was doing co-op in Blood: Fresh Supply with a buddy and we found out that E2M5 is impossible to complete because there's a wall behind the eyeball key door that isn't supposed to be there.

If Atari let Night Dive patch the game more I'm pretty sure this would have been fixed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are worse video game companies out there than Atari, but I hate Atari the most. Just terrible, baffling decisions all the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vakal posted:

On a side note Tenka is like one of the hardest PS1 games to get to emulate properly I've run across so far due to memory card detection issues.
This is actually a fairly simple issue: The game refuses to run with a memory card in slot 2 for some reason, and a lot of older emulators refused to let you unplug memory cards. Modern emulators have more granular card controls to fix this.

The past issue I had with Tenka in older emulators was no voiceover, not too much voiceover, but this was probably due to something or other with the old disk image I was using. Between Duckstation and No-Intro the game runs fine now.

There was a Windows version of Tenka, I wonder if it was any decent and if it has nice KB+M controls?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

catlord posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are worse video game companies out there than Atari, but I hate Atari the most. Just terrible, baffling decisions all the time.

It’s hard to hate them for me since I still don’t really understand what the gently caress they are exactly these days.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Overbite posted:

I posted about it a couple days ago but the game is around 90 minutes long. The firefight mode is fun but you could also get through that pretty fast.

Severed Steel is like a fancy dinner out. It’s really expensive for what is basically a single scallop on a plate drizzled with raspberry creme de lucha and fig sprouts but it tastes amazing. But at the end you’re not quite satisfied so you stop at McDonald’s on the way home.

Thanks! I must have missed your earlier posts but I appreciate this; I'll wait for a deeper sale/bundle buy then.

Anyway....we all gonna play the Doom Thatcher game right? It should be out in the next day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

This is actually a fairly simple issue: The game refuses to run with a memory card in slot 2 for some reason, and a lot of older emulators refused to let you unplug memory cards. Modern emulators have more granular card controls to fix this.

The past issue I had with Tenka in older emulators was no voiceover, not too much voiceover, but this was probably due to something or other with the old disk image I was using. Between Duckstation and No-Intro the game runs fine now.

There was a Windows version of Tenka, I wonder if it was any decent and if it has nice KB+M controls?

Wait there was a PC port?? Oh sim sham the frim fram gonna have to hunt that down now.