Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/outspanned/status/1440279968554967057

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Alan Moore (yes, that one) recorded a song addressing this issue back in the day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

I like wordy descriptive books. I love stuff like GRRM's depictions of medieval feasts or RJ detailing the backstory of every random villager from Emonds Field. (Not being ironic.)

Did you read Howard Pyle's Robin Hood with us when we did it as BOTM about a year ago or so? If not go look up the thread, you'll like it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Snowcrash is documentary

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ok that make me laugh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Brandon Sanderson's podcast is a helluva place to learn that not only did Terry Goodkind pass away, he did so last year.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mordiceius posted:

Brandon Sanderson's podcast is a helluva place to learn that not only did Terry Goodkind pass away, he did so last year.

...you wanted that as a "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead!" style proclamation, or what?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
hieronymous how are you still mod it's been like 10 years. resign and assign me to my rightful place

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ulmont posted:

...you wanted that as a "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead!" style proclamation, or what?

Nah, I just thought was wild that it took me a year to find out. I didn't realize I was so disconnected from things.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
wb chernobyl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did Patricia Cornwell have a stroke or something? I read some Kay Scarpetta novels my parents had, in the 1990s and they were OK, but now I picked up At Risk from 2006 to read on the bog and it's written absolutely horribly? Like worse than anything I've ever read that was professionally published.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did Patricia Cornwell have a stroke or something? I read some Kay Scarpetta novels my parents had, in the 1990s and they were OK, but now I picked up At Risk from 2006 to read on the bog and it's written absolutely horribly? Like worse than anything I've ever read that was professionally published.

She fired her ghostwriter, at least that’s the rumor.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I wonder if the ghostwriter was also tasked with reigning in all the horniness.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmySilverberg/status/1441460180521127941

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's "ars longa vita brevis" only boring.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

OK just finished and this seems extremely likely. The dialogue is insanely bad, and the prose is absolute poo poo, but the actual plot is very good.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is Gravity's Rainbow really difficult to read and comprehend or am I just stupid?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

This might help
http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/b/pynchon.rainbow.shtml

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GWBBQ posted:

Is Gravity's Rainbow really difficult to read and comprehend or am I just stupid?

Yes (I kid, I kid)

It's a mountain for perpetual climbing.

Edit: it helps once you realize it's mostly dick jokes

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 8, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, Rinkworks is still around, that's pretty cool!

I also have to ask: is there a romance books thread?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DreamingofRoses posted:

Holy poo poo, Rinkworks is still around, that's pretty cool!

I also have to ask: is there a romance books thread?

There isn't! Would you want to make an OP for one?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

There isn't! Would you want to make an OP for one?

I think I can do that!

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981534 I tried.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 9, 2021

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes (I kid, I kid)

It's a mountain for perpetual climbing.

Edit: it helps once you realize it's mostly dick jokes
There's a reason I phrased it as "difficult" and consciously avoided using the term "impenetrable."

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Do we have a thread for audiobooks? I read real physical books normally but as I’m running longer distances I’ve started to enjoy a certain type of audiobook.

I say “certain type” because there seems to be a narrow band of books that fit the bill for 12 mile runs. Light thrillers (Ruth Ware, Riley Sagar, Elly Griffiths) or light fantasy (NK Jemison, Naomi Novik) work well. Pynchon, Pessl, and Proust do not. I don’t typically read the light books since I read so drat fast, so I find myself ironically out of my depth here. I tried going full airport novel and got a James Patterson book and Jesus Christ I had to stop mid run and erase that poo poo from my phone. So I need something reasonably engaging but not a real book.

I tend to read in triplets: one Great book, one Good book, and one Fun book. Right now I’m reading V. by Pynchon, I just finished a snuggly reread of Garp by Irving, and I devoured The Graduate by Novik. I’m open to lots of things. Next up for good will be a reread of Oreo (holy gently caress is that a good book); fun will be Jade Empire. I like books of all stripes though YA isn’t usually my jam.

Any suggestions?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I have no idea if the reader/production is any good but the Lee Child Jack Reacher books are best in class for light thrillers so I’d imagine they would fit the bill nicely.

If you don’t mind nonfiction, Mike Duncan is a great podcaster with a couple of good history books to his name and a knack for making very listenable works.

Also, and I’m only saying this because you said light fantasy, the wheel of time series is extremely well done (not trying to get into the merits of the series or writing, just that the audiobook quality is very high). I specifically listened to them on long runs for about a year

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 9, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Do we have a thread for audiobooks? I read real physical books normally but as I’m running longer distances I’ve started to enjoy a certain type of audiobook.

I say “certain type” because there seems to be a narrow band of books that fit the bill for 12 mile runs. Light thrillers (Ruth Ware, Riley Sagar, Elly Griffiths) or light fantasy (NK Jemison, Naomi Novik) work well. Pynchon, Pessl, and Proust do not. I don’t typically read the light books since I read so drat fast, so I find myself ironically out of my depth here. I tried going full airport novel and got a James Patterson book and Jesus Christ I had to stop mid run and erase that poo poo from my phone. So I need something reasonably engaging but not a real book.

I tend to read in triplets: one Great book, one Good book, and one Fun book. Right now I’m reading V. by Pynchon, I just finished a snuggly reread of Garp by Irving, and I devoured The Graduate by Novik. I’m open to lots of things. Next up for good will be a reread of Oreo (holy gently caress is that a good book); fun will be Jade Empire. I like books of all stripes though YA isn’t usually my jam.

Any suggestions?

Here’s the audiobook thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127942&perpage=40&noseen=1

As for recommendations, I know you said YA isn’t your thing but I have to recommend Raybearer and it’s sequel Redemptor for the performance of the narrator alone. Terry Pratchett’s books are really good as audiobooks too, especially the Tiffany Aching books (the narrator makes the Nac Mac Feegles sound amazing)

I personally love the October Daye series of audiobooks if you like urban fantasy. The Dresden Files are great as audiobooks too, James Marsters is amazing once he gets into the groove and the plots are never really heavy.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

I have no idea if the reader/production is any good but the Lee Child Jack Reacher books are best in class for light thrillers so I’d imagine they would fit the bill nicely.

If you don’t mind nonfiction, Mike Duncan is a great podcaster with a couple of good history books to his name and a knack for making very listenable works.

Also, and I’m only saying this because you said light fantasy, the wheel of time series is extremely well done (not trying to get into the merits of the series or writing, just that the audiobook quality is very high). I specifically listened to them on long runs for about a year

Brilliant, thank you! The Jack Reacher thing sounds perfect. I’ll give Wheel a go as well. I have one of those books in physical format but never got into it. Might be a good runner.

I chewed through some Dresden on a lark a while back but it didn’t mesh with me. Might be fine for a runner though, thank you! And I will pick up Raybearer right now. I might find that YA filler stuff is perfect for my runs. I tend to get annoyed at Mary Sue / chosen one tropes though so I’ve stayed away from most of that genre. I did unashamedly love The Hunger Games though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Has anybody ever being heard of the word "planchette" being used as though it were a proper noun? A mystery novel I'm reading has several references to this Ouija-like thing, and it always talks about it as though Planchette were a person, although it doesn't use a capital letter, like "he looked and saw that planchette was sitting on the table".

This is so weird that it's driving me to distraction.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The only time I've ever seen it used was in The Stand, and it was lower-case with the definitive article there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Has anybody ever being heard of the word "planchette" being used as though it were a proper noun? A mystery novel I'm reading has several references to this Ouija-like thing, and it always talks about it as though Planchette were a person, although it doesn't use a capital letter, like "he looked and saw that planchette was sitting on the table".

That word just means "tablet (computer)" in the several languages that people use where I live, so yeah.

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Any suggestions?

If you're curious about D&D and other tabletop RPGs like that, there is a lot of good Actual Play shows where people record themselves playing for others' amusement. That's what I listen to when I sweat outdoors.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

It's used like that in The Haunting of Hill House.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Rand Brittain posted:

as jaktion mentioned, it shows up like that in Hill House, and i'm sure i've seen it used that way in victorian writings about seances, but i'd have to lookn for specific refs. my impression is that using it as a proper noun is the older form

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for questions of this nature (seems like it's the best fit, from my quick look through the BB), but does anyone happen to know of any English biographies from the NVA or Viet Cong, during the Vietnam War?

I've been reading a bunch on the topic here and there throughout the past year on the period, (but only written by Americans and Australians) as it's always interested me. However, reading material on what life was like for the North Vietnamese seem to be fairly sparse, wherever I've looked.

Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated! I'm not overly hopeful though, seeing as my searches haven't turned much up. Hopefully there's at least one translated account, though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for questions of this nature (seems like it's the best fit, from my quick look through the BB), but does anyone happen to know of any English biographies from the NVA or Viet Cong, during the Vietnam War?

I've been reading a bunch on the topic here and there throughout the past year on the period, (but only written by Americans and Australians) as it's always interested me. However, reading material on what life was like for the North Vietnamese seem to be fairly sparse, wherever I've looked.

Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated! I'm not overly hopeful though, seeing as my searches haven't turned much up. Hopefully there's at least one translated account, though.

General Vo Nguyen Giap wrote a war memoir book that is supposed to be pretty good, I don't think it's in print but there's a copy on archive.org/openlibrary: https://archive.org/details/unforgettableday0000unse_n1f0/mode/2up

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's fiction, but one of the best looks at the war from the Vietnamese side is Novel Without a Name.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Any recommendations on crime oriented novels from the perspective of the criminal? I'm thinking of something that treats the matter with some gravity and the criminal reflects on what they're doing and why they're doing it. Inspired by real life stuff welcome too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HIJK posted:

Any recommendations on crime oriented novels from the perspective of the criminal? I'm thinking of something that treats the matter with some gravity and the criminal reflects on what they're doing and why they're doing it. Inspired by real life stuff welcome too.

Dan J. Marlowe (I forget which ones, probably the earliest stuff, I think they devolved into mafia killer genre novels at some point), a lot of James Hadley Chase novels (Not Safe to be Free springs to mind, although I don't know about the reflection), Jim Thompson's After Dark, My Sweet, etc. I know I've read loads more but just can't remember what they were...

e: Ed McBain's He Who Hesitates, Simenon's Lettre à mon juge

ee: Oh gently caress, of course Hemingway's To Have and Have Not is a classic.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 15, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'll start with those, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HIJK posted:

Lolita