Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Garrison renders Australian public figures like a medieval monk draws an elephant using the vague description from someone who knows a sailor that totally saw a big long cow once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Scott Morrison

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lolie posted:

We're going to be retaining density limits and check-ins, and masks will still be required indoors. It's not opening everything up and throwing caution to the wind - I suspect that a lot of people are in for a rude shock when they realise that.

I think most people are expecting restrictions of some sort for some time. Just as long as they get some loosening of the current lockdowns

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think most people are expecting restrictions of some sort for some time. Just as long as they get some loosening of the current lockdowns

I am quite loving happy to wear a mask indoors and check in everywhere I go for the rest of my life if it just means I can leave this loving room and see my friends.

This is also why I don't understand people who get furious at WA and Queensland (but never Liberal-governed Tasmania and SA, funnily enough) for not Following The National Plan. Doing so will involve reducing their freedom. We know it's inevitable, they know it's inevitable, but I can see why they're not exactly champing at the bit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/KKeneally/status/1441166480385527810

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 24, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Alice Workman 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Crowds of people flooded to Bondi and Manly beach on Friday evening before dispersing when police officers arrived at 7:30.

Social media posts showed hundreds enjoying the warm weather at a park just up from Bondi’s iconic beach in the afternoon.

Numbers swelled as the afternoon wore on with hundreds gathered on the grass looking over the beach by 6pm.

NSW Police broke up the large gathering at Bondi by 7:30 with officers seen walking through the throngs of people before hundreds packed up and left.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...11f2887745bd4a9

While not huge yet, case numbers in Sydney's more affluent suburbs were already starting to climb again. It will be interesting to see where the numbers for those same locations are in a couple of weeks.

It's good to see the police breaking it up, though. Hazzard pretty much endorsed gathering on the beach a couple of weeks ago and that was a stupid move.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress how good would it be to live in Perth

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

This is great advertising. Amazing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How good is 2021

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

It's pretty good, but it's also a constant state of uneasy anxiety as if the whole thing is a lie that is going to come crashing down at any time. Every single time a press conference is called you hold your breath until the news comes out. Every time a truck driver catches it or some fuckwit wants to visit the grand final and just hops on a plane.

I'm sure it's better than Covid running rampant, but it's loving weird.

Every time we hear a press conference someone inevitably awkwardly laughs and says "Its cause its the grand final" or "I shouldn't have booked that weekend away eh?"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

How good is 2021

The single most implausible thing about 2021.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Solemn Sloth posted:

How good is 2021

Remember when people were so ready for 2020 to end?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

god, everything's closed after dark, no one on the streets, yeah it's like being back in perth before I left all over again. lmao.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Konomex posted:

It's pretty good, but it's also a constant state of uneasy anxiety as if the whole thing is a lie that is going to come crashing down at any time. Every single time a press conference is called you hold your breath until the news comes out. Every time a truck driver catches it or some fuckwit wants to visit the grand final and just hops on a plane.

I'm sure it's better than Covid running rampant, but it's loving weird.

Every time we hear a press conference someone inevitably awkwardly laughs and says "Its cause its the grand final" or "I shouldn't have booked that weekend away eh?"

Same in SA, everyone seems to have assumed we would have got more cases by now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In other news:

https://twitter.com/kaz_neena/status/1441730791478743043?s=19

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Konomex posted:

Every single time a press conference is called you hold your breath until the news comes out.

Wow I can't imagine what that must feel like

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

But it draaaags. It's just weird. Like being stuck in a french movie that is just full of way too much angst.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Come to NSW and you can safely dismiss every conference as useless garbage spouting forth from the most useless cunts on the planet. It's great.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Konomex posted:

But it draaaags. It's just weird. Like being stuck in a french movie that is just full of way too much angst.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I was in Perth at the end of last year seeing family (I grew up there) and if I could go back in time I'd just cancel my return flight and stay there. Quit my job, break my lease, get someone in Melbourne to flog my stuff on Gumtree. I'm not joking. It would've been worth it to get two years of my life back.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Eediot Jedi posted:

Everyone at that road block lunch protest should get an official Weak As Piss award presented by a nurse in full PPE, then get full kicked in the peepee.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...limate-activism

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...e-change-pariah

lol.

Kumanjayi Bloomfield, 47, died in a car crash on the Plenty Highway near Harts Range, north-east of Alice Springs, 5km after NT police abandoned a 30-second pursuit. Officers began the pursuit because they believed Bloomfield, who was unlicensed and intoxicated, was trying to avoid a random breath test by taking a well-used shortcut. The coroner, Greg Cavanagh, said the failure of police to observe cultural protocols, including allowing Bloomfield's family to have a last look at his body in the community, the failure to allow the family to view the scene of the crash, and the decision to remove the police vehicle for examination without explaining why to the community had led to distrust and suspicion, worsened by long delay between Bloomfield's death and police completing their investigation. He recommended that police receive training on the importance of providing the family with timely viewing and information, in accordance with recommendations from the royal commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1441874108912963584

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

AAP posted:

The number of people to be fully interviewed by contact tracers within a day of their positive result nearly doubled last week, data published by NSW Health reveals.

Contact tracers fully interviewed 58 per cent of new cases within one day of notification in the week ending September 20. The week before, tracers only reached 31 per cent of people within that time frame.

It is the first time that metric has surpassed 50 per cent since the end of August. The improvement in contact tracing comes as the number of new local cases continues to dip.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08c18553fe8d76

We may be turning the corner.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

freebooter posted:

I was in Perth at the end of last year seeing family (I grew up there) and if I could go back in time I'd just cancel my return flight and stay there. Quit my job, break my lease, get someone in Melbourne to flog my stuff on Gumtree. I'm not joking. It would've been worth it to get two years of my life back.

honestly rather live thru random lockdowns for the rest of my life than live in perth again

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

JBP posted:

Alice Workman 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

Man she is trash. Can't believe I used to think she was a decent journalist.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The vaccination rate is now high enough that it's making a noticable difference. Looks like NSW will make 60% in the next day or two fully vacced and is 85% first dose.

Also looking like NSW will keep restrictions on uvacced until at least 90% of eligible people get jabbed. Which honestly doesnt look unlikely we get to that mark.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 26, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Why not just keep restrictions on the unvaxxed forever? gently caress em.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The vaccination rate is now high enough that it's making a noticable difference. Looks like NSW will make 60% in the next day or two fully vacced and is 85% first dose.

Also looking like NSW will keep restrictions on uvacced until at least 90% of eligible people get jabbed. Which honestly doesnt look unlikely we get to that mark.

I'm not too thrilled at Gladys saying we should look to November for travel. My LGA is a spicy one but our vaccination rate is over 90% first dose. Trying to continue the 5km limit past the next couple of weeks will just invite non-compliance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

Why not just keep restrictions on the unvaxxed forever? gently caress em.

I *wish*. I never want to be near an antivaxxer.

Only exemption is those with genuine medical issues for vaccination - who are very rare and that's why you get as many people jabbed - to protect the ones who cant. The ones that wont.... stay away from me.

Lolie posted:

I'm not too thrilled at Gladys saying we should look to November for travel. My LGA is a spicy one but our vaccination rate is over 90% first dose. Trying to continue the 5km limit past the next couple of weeks will just invite non-compliance.

90+% is the kind of level where even Delta has problems spreading so it's hard to justify keeping tight restrictions going - so while yes some regions are lagging (especailly areas where there's known large anti vaxxer movements like Byron Bay) I cant see Sydney and surrounds residents who have been vaccinated putting up with the more tight restrictions on esp travel for much longer.

Looking at the vaccination maps I completely expected Byron to be lagging well behind but Sydney Central LGA it also noticably lagging. That's a surprise, it's one of the worst rates in NSW and far behind the rest of the Greater Sydney area

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If we're gonna open up based on vaxx numbers it doesn't really make sense to do it equally because areas vary and the state average doesn't mean poo poo to a specific region if there's spread. Treat low vaxx areas like the LGAs. Hard lockdown for that area until the numbers improve.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'll never get over the "It's because they gave up their guns" responses from Americans. They stormed their own government capital fully armed and it changed nothing. People stole some poo poo and went home, then continued to wring their hands about how the libs and dems are destroying American values.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most Americans have been taught wrong, on purpose, as a joke, about... pretty much everything, but especially politics. Most of the levers they're given to let off pressure do nothing, and now they've come off and people are flailing.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

How do you minor in Australian History and not understand that as a nation we long for the jackboot of authority upon our necks?

Don’t mistake the larrikin taking the piss attitude for actual mah freedumb, we inherited the British “please form an orderly queue and wait for further instructions” mentality.

All this confected loud outrage is thanks to Nazis importing playbooks from the USA.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Or it’s a joke account

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Or it’s a joke account

its not a joke account he's an insane MAGA guy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Animal Friend posted:

its not a joke account he's an insane MAGA guy.

the preferred term is neurodiverse thanks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This guy owns

https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1442091908097060867

https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1441793444817559556

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1377394882248015873

https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1390430448057307142