Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ugh, now I am back to depressed. HR asked for a resignation letter for their records. The person said I wasn't giving her the training she needed and said I was dismissive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I don’t mean to dump on you because managing is hard and you should just take this as a learning opportunity but her complaints are probably valid. That attitude came through in your Reddit post and if you genuinely feel that way about someone it’s really hard to hide it when interacting with them. Your options are basically a) attitude adjustment or b) get better at acting, assuming you’re gonna get someone at roughly the same skill level as a replacement. I’d suggest option A

Good luck

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

PatMarshall posted:

Whats the practice worth? I'm kinda trying to do the same thing - they just put me in the partner program, but I still need to get the revenue of course - the head of the international practice is retiring in the next year, so I should inherit some of his book, but it is a grind for sure in public.

Don’t they float you the buyin loan anyway?

Also agreed 60k in year 10 is appalling. I started at 60 in HCOL and in year 4 I’m at 120…

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So like, there's a lot of remote jobs in this field? I've been fully remote for five years but I keep getting scared I'll lose my job and have to go back to the USA. If remote is more the norm post Covid, that'd be pretty nice.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Man I'm severely underpaid, I'm finally making $60K base, and I've been doing this for 10 years. I'm on Long Island as well but I'm at a mom and pop shop dealing with extremely blue collar families and small businesses, and you're at like an H&R or something right?
buddy that's underpaid in Texas, let alone New York State

Covok, I think I'm probably echoing what some others have already said, but: while it's possible that staffer was never going to work out, I do think you need to set more reasonable expectations for inexperienced hires going forward. Rookies really do not know a goddamn thing, I'm not shocked by someone like that being ignorant of EINs and 1099s and the basic mechanics of bookkeeping. (There's a lot of accounting degree programs that cover the lingo and theory of debits and credits and tax principles, but never give a hands-on opportunity to learn how to fill out a 1099 or a K-1 or what it actually looks like to type a JE into Quickbooks or an ERP system.) Not only are they completely ignorant, the observant ones are painfully aware of that ignorance, and if they sense surprise or consternation at that ignorance, of course they're going on the defensive - particularly in a small-firm environment where they're picking that up from the only person around to teach them things.

It sounds like you might've oscillated between hot and cold - hours-long lectures and textbook readings one moment, then pulling away to work on your own things for days at a time. It's a difficult balance when you have a lot of your own work to attend to, but I would suggest spacing out the lectures, walking them through an actual return or project of just describing terminology and forms, and hammering home to them that you are available for questions, you expect questions, you get worried when they don't have questions, and there are no dumb questions (except for questions that they ask over and over again, because it means they're not writing this poo poo down like they should be.) That said, I see red flags in a few of her responses - saying "do I need to know this" to something you're teaching is suggestive of someone who is not getting it, and was she taking notes during all this?

Don't beat yourself up over it, training up an inexperienced hire requires you to be more of a tutor or big sibling than a manager. It's not an easy thing to get right, particularly at small shops where there's not a formalized training regimen and they have to rely on you alone to teach them, rather than a bigger team to share the load.

e: I may be reading something between the lines that's not actually there, but... after re-reading one of your reddit replies about your boss' attitude towards admin staff and how she's handled those hires in the past, I suspect your boss' attitude and hands-off approach isn't helping here. I wonder if your boss also needs an attitude adjustment and shift in expectations, too - not just in that they need to reduce expectations for what rookies are capable of, but in that your boss should expect other people, including themselves, to have a hand in setting up rookies for success. It's not fair to you or the rookie to make you the sole person that a rookie spends all of their time learning from and interacting with.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 17, 2021

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Don’t they float you the buyin loan anyway?

Also agreed 60k in year 10 is appalling. I started at 60 in HCOL and in year 4 I’m at 120…

Yeah, they loan you the buy in, I just meant to make partner I'd need at least 1M to 1.5M in revenue under my name. The compliance is recurring, so it's easier to count on, but at least 50% of my work is consulting jobs, which are one offs (although very profitable one offs), so you have to grind every year to bring in consulting projects, usually like 15 to 20 a year.

Agreed on 60k being way underpaid. I think fully remote is going to be possible going forward. I've been approached a couple of times for fully remote roles, and in a post covid world it will increasingly be the norm. That said, out of country is an entirely different can of worms, not saying its not possible, but local payroll taxes and permanent establishment issues can arise.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Blotto_Otter posted:

e: I may be reading something between the lines that's not actually there, but... after re-reading one of your reddit replies about your boss' attitude towards admin staff and how she's handled those hires in the past, I suspect your boss' attitude and hands-off approach isn't helping here. I wonder if your boss also needs an attitude adjustment and shift in expectations, too - not just in that they need to reduce expectations for what rookies are capable of, but in that your boss should expect other people, including themselves, to have a hand in setting up rookies for success. It's not fair to you or the rookie to make you the sole person that a rookie spends all of their time learning from and interacting with.

Yeah I think Covok's boss is more of an issue than people are acknowledging. They sound like the "Entry Level Position, Requirements: 5 Years of Experience," meme.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah I think Covok's boss is more of an issue than people are acknowledging. They sound like the "Entry Level Position, Requirements: 5 Years of Experience," meme.

Yeah, when I say she wanted her to sit with clients, I meant she wanted her to sit with clients, complete the entire return, answer questions to the best of her ability, ask us questions minimally, and have her returns require minimum review and corrections by February. She basically wanted her as good as someone with 1 year experience in 4 months. Maybe that is realistic, but I also know our clients, while most aren't complicated, they have matters that go all over the place. After all, the position was for someone with 1-3 years experience and paid about 65-75, but when the salaries we got requests of 150k, 85k, and so on, she pulled back and lowered it and hired the 0 experience person, promising that she would help train her. Then, she expressed she had no plans to help me train her until I pushed her.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 17, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PatMarshall posted:

Yeah, they loan you the buy in, I just meant to make partner I'd need at least 1M to 1.5M in revenue under my name. The compliance is recurring, so it's easier to count on, but at least 50% of my work is consulting jobs, which are one offs (although very profitable one offs), so you have to grind every year to bring in consulting projects, usually like 15 to 20 a year.

Agreed on 60k being way underpaid. I think fully remote is going to be possible going forward. I've been approached a couple of times for fully remote roles, and in a post covid world it will increasingly be the norm. That said, out of country is an entirely different can of worms, not saying its not possible, but local payroll taxes and permanent establishment issues can arise.

I'd just pretend to be in Florida. I am a US citizen and that's my "home base" except I haven't even set foot on mainland US since like 2018.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Some people on reddit are saying you can't legally call yourself a tax accountant unless you are a CPA. Even EAs can't do so. Is that true?

I know you can't call yourself a CPA but I never heard of this issue.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've never heard of this and I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've never heard of this and I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

I kept saying that. They're saying I am a tax preparer, not an accountant, because the IRS reserves that for CPAs only. I can't find that anywhere.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
There's no way that's true. You can call yourself an accountant, just not a Certified Public Accountant.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

There's no way that's true. You can call yourself an accountant, just not a Certified Public Accountant.

There were focused on Tax Accountant, if that matters.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Not necessarily, it varies from state to state.

Covok posted:

I kept saying that. They're saying I am a tax preparer, not an accountant, because the IRS reserves that for CPAs only. I can't find that anywhere.

It’s not an IRS thing, it’s usually determined by state law. State laws or state board of accountancy rules often reserve certain terms for use only by licensed CPAs, so you need to look up the rules published by your state’s board of accounting. For instance, I know that Texas restricts you from publicly presenting yourself as an “accountant” unless you have a CPA license.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I honestly think you need to lay off the taxpros subreddit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Audax posted:

I honestly think you need to lay off the taxpros subreddit.

Any other good place to ask tax questions?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Probably not! I never know what to call myself either. I'm a licensed attorney, but I work for an accounting firm, so I'm not practicing law. I avoid the issue entirely by simply not listing any titles in my signature.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Covok posted:

There were focused on Tax Accountant, if that matters.

Ask them to cite any sort of law. If you want to say something is "illegal" there's got to be, you know, a law written somewhere.

It's bullshit.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I've just entered my 2nd year of my business admin degree with a focus in accounting, so I will likely be one of those deer in headlights newbies in the near future. Its so intimidating to read chapters of Horngren's or Kieso and see all these rules and various sets of steps for ASPE/IFRS along with all the other business crap they want to cram in and it really makes me wonder how people get all this poo poo into their heads, and if I'm actually the imposter that somehow got this far and my brain doesn't actually soak up any knowledge.
I just keep telling myself I have to eat this elephant one bite at a time and not freak out at how tiny my stomach is.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Overdrift posted:

I've just entered my 2nd year of my business admin degree with a focus in accounting, so I will likely be one of those deer in headlights newbies in the near future. Its so intimidating to read chapters of Horngren's or Kieso and see all these rules and various sets of steps for ASPE/IFRS along with all the other business crap they want to cram in and it really makes me wonder how people get all this poo poo into their heads, and if I'm actually the imposter that somehow got this far and my brain doesn't actually soak up any knowledge.
I just keep telling myself I have to eat this elephant one bite at a time and not freak out at how tiny my stomach is.

On page 2 of this thread I got into a weird slap fight with people when I mentioned I had to relearn algebra. Now I'm like... I dunno 9 years into being a CPA. So your entrance into this thread is already way ahead of where I was. And I made it! ...into a profession that sucks the very life and soul out of me, to the point where I fantasize all day about squatting in an abandoned barn and foraging for whatever I can find in the woods if it means I don't have to look at emails anymore.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ask them to cite any sort of law. If you want to say something is "illegal" there's got to be, you know, a law written somewhere.

It's bullshit.

This would vary jurisdiction by jurisdiction, like Texas for instance is particularly protective of the Texas CPA designation.

The key here is that nobody except other non-CPA tax preparers care what non-CPA tax preparers call themselves. To the general public you are either a CPA, or you are not.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Every jurisdiction is protective of "CPA" but I don't think any of them could ban "accountant" or "tax accountant."

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Overdrift posted:

My CPA experience has been brain dumping all of that immediately after the test. Just knowing the basic tax forms and how to use Excel at an advanced level gets you most of the way there, you can always look poo poo up later.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jimong5 posted:

My CPA experience has been brain dumping all of that immediately after the test. Just knowing the basic tax forms and how to use Excel at an advanced level gets you most of the way there, you can always look poo poo up later.

I'm in the middle of my Canadian PEP program, and all they want to know is whether or not you have the ability to identify, analyze, and properly conclude like a client or stakeholder would want. Our exams are open-book because if you do have issues IRL, you get to look up ASPE or IFRS rules about how to capitalize intangible assets or loss contingencies, etc.

I just did my Core 2 (Mostly cost and management accounting, with some finance and organizational governance thrown in) exam on Thursday. Hopefully I passed it, because cost/management accounting is not something I'm interested in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nevermind.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 29, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone have advice on how to transition from the bullshit I'm doing now to a role at a nonprofit org? Even leads on organizations that accept volunteers for accounting services would be cool, I have zero NFP experience but would like to transition to that space.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
y'all got any advice about finding a good accountant? In the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts if that matters.

Right now I'm mostly looking for some tax advice and a reasonable source of external input because I am part of a MBO group for a professional services S-corp and I need to validate a bunch of poo poo that our firm's accountant and our bank is telling us. I'll be way more comfortable with a 3rd party I can ask questions of etc.

After that I'll probably want to use an individual for tax prep because I suspect once I'm paying estimated taxes and dealing with a K-1 I'll be pretty well over my head. I assume I can probably find one person to fit the bill as I think my MBO questions aren't super difficult, they just are well out of scope for me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Blotto_Otter posted:

Any of y'all audit and assurance types ever had to deal with fuckery on a client representation letter? I'm trying to wrap up an old financial statement review for a smallish (and notoriously tardy) client, and nearly two weeks after sending the rep letter template (with explicit instructions to talk to me before changing any representations), I just got back a signed rep letter... with the two specific representations about knowledge or allegations of fraud conveniently skipped over, then a half-page's worth of representations missing as if another page was printed and not scanned, and then the paragraph numbering monkeyed with to make it end on the same paragraph number as the original template. Also the automatic page numbering from the template's footer is gone, meaning I can't tell if they printed 3 pages and simply forgot to scan the middle one, or deleted a ton of paragraphs and said "well it's still the same page length and ends on the same numbered paragraph as the template, maybe he won't look at it very closely".

I responded with something to the effect of "hey it looks like a page is missing from the scan and uh also these missing paragraphs about fraud are mandatory, we need to talk about why you removed them", and got a response from a different person that it was all accidental, and so-and-so was using "some type of publisher" (???) and this was either a glitch or user error. Hm. OK.

Been doing audits (and some reviews) off and on for about 12 years, this is the second time I've had a noteworthy fuckup or manipulation of a client rep letter, and at least the first one (different client, years back) had the decency to make their change subtle and not insult my intelligence.

Recall your review.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Passed my Core 2 (management, finance, and strategy & governance) exam with a surprisingly better evaluation than Core 1 (financial reporting, audit, taxation). :toot:

I say surprising because financial reporting and taxation is what I do for a living. Everything was either "competent" or "competent with distinction", as opposed to a "not competent" and a "reaching competent" that I received on the first one.

Either way, my next PEP module dedicated entirely to taxation start... in a week :negative:. At least I get a long weekend now to relax and not worry.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

y'all got any advice about finding a good accountant? In the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts if that matters.

Right now I'm mostly looking for some tax advice and a reasonable source of external input because I am part of a MBO group for a professional services S-corp and I need to validate a bunch of poo poo that our firm's accountant and our bank is telling us. I'll be way more comfortable with a 3rd party I can ask questions of etc.

After that I'll probably want to use an individual for tax prep because I suspect once I'm paying estimated taxes and dealing with a K-1 I'll be pretty well over my head. I assume I can probably find one person to fit the bill as I think my MBO questions aren't super difficult, they just are well out of scope for me.

My advice is 1) ask if they have experience/are comfortable with the things you need (scorp/est taxes - this is p standard stuff so shouldn't be too challenging but double check and give them a chance to tell u if something isn't their area), and 2) understand that accountants in general are slammed rn for various reasons i wont detail here, so prepare for some to be slow to get back to you and dont discount them bc of that

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Elephanthead posted:

Recall your review.

big agree

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Is this the place to ask QB Enterprise questions? I'm having a hell of a time with an item just randomly changing its COGs and of course Google is no loving help. I understand average costing, but this is, something different.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

FunOne posted:

Is this the place to ask QB Enterprise questions? I'm having a hell of a time with an item just randomly changing its COGs and of course Google is no loving help. I understand average costing, but this is, something different.

I like loving with Quickbooks, so shoot. Or PM me. I'm not an expert but maybe I'll know how to fix your issue.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I like loving with Quickbooks, so shoot. Or PM me. I'm not an expert but maybe I'll know how to fix your issue.

Here goes nothing. I have 2 items doing some version of this:

Inventory value for the item = 270ish, QOH 500+
COGs hit on posted invoices = 599

This suddenly happens one day in mid-august.
8/16 - 272
8/17 - 599

No adjustments, no JEs, nothing else between those two dates. QOH is 600+ when it happens, so not a -0- inventory situation.

So of course, its throwing off profitability for the item wildly. 599 is not the acquisition price, sales price, or any other associated price for the item. So I have no idea where that comes from.

Pull inventory valuation, 272
Look at Inventory Detail from the inventory list, value ~272
Enter an invoice to sell one of them, COGs hit is 599.

Rebuilding my file fixed nothing here. Re-entering the invoices results in the same thing. Google has been no help and this isn't the kind of thing where I can just say "gently caress it start over."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My initial thought is that the item on the invoice is mismatched some how, maybe it got accidentally linked to a different account or value. It happens with every new invoice? What about backdated invoices to prior to the bug?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

My initial thought is that the item on the invoice is mismatched some how, maybe it got accidentally linked to a different account or value. It happens with every new invoice? What about backdated invoices to prior to the bug?

Good thought. Took an invoice from today, posting against COGS incorrectly, and kicked it back 2 months. Posts against COGs correctly on that (270ish vs 599). Move it back to today and back to the wild 599 value.

Again, 599 is not associated with this item in any way that I can find so that's throwing me off too.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

FunOne posted:

Good thought. Took an invoice from today, posting against COGS incorrectly, and kicked it back 2 months. Posts against COGs correctly on that (270ish vs 599). Move it back to today and back to the wild 599 value.

Again, 599 is not associated with this item in any way that I can find so that's throwing me off too.

If Quickbooks is automatically applying the inventory costing method there could be a large transaction somewhere else that is throwing off the value. Maybe a purchase order with an extra zero at some point and 8/17 is when FIFO or weighted average or something comes into play. This kind of cost accounting is not what I deal with so that's probably the extent of my ideas. Thats a very strange issue and its clear that the date matters a lot but I don't know enough about Enterprise in particular to say what could be triggering your price value change.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Found an entire Becker CPA study guide kit by the trash can so I snatched it up.

It’s from 2011 though. Should I just go put it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

boop the snoot posted:

Found an entire Becker CPA study guide kit by the trash can so I snatched it up.

It’s from 2011 though. Should I just go put it back?

Rules have likely not changed enough you couldn't pass using it. That's after I passed, look up new rev rec and leases? That's about it? Reg side may be more problematic, just buy the Gleim for that section.

Honestly just buy Gleim, unless things have changed it's horrifically cheaper than Becker. All you need is the MCQs, run through around 1,200 to 2,000 per part and pass.

Azrial fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 4, 2021