Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That headline :eyepop:

quote:

Alberta officials say ICUs only keeping up with influx of COVID-19 cases due to high death rate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMhl2Vk8kY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, technically, if they were dying fast enough you wouldn't even need beds in the first place

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

quote:

Covid-19 is now the leading killer of law enforcement officers in the U.S., according to the Officer Down Memorial Page, a nonprofit that tracks police officer deaths. Since January 2020, 414 have died from the disease, compared with 92 from gunfire, the second leading cause of death.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/police-departments-strive-to-persuade-officers-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-11632488400

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

No accounting for how many "civilians" have been killed by unmasked pigs shouting COVID into their faces

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

“I feared for my life because I thought they had COVID” will be the new excuse for executing civilians.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wasn’t this the province that rescinded all their restrictions and said “come at me COVID bro”?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HD DAD posted:

“I feared for my life because I thought they had COVID” will be the new excuse for executing civilians.

One of the anti-lockdown protesters in Melbourne was covid positive and ended up in hospital and several cops who were working the protest have been deemed to be close contacts and have been ordered to get tested and isolate

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Wasn’t this the province that rescinded all their restrictions and said “come at me COVID bro”?

Yup, they told all us pussy provinces that they were ready move on from the pandemic. Now they are asking for neighboring provinces to take on their ICU patients. British Columbia said no as far as I know because we are at capacity.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Purgatory Glory posted:

Yup, they told all us pussy provinces that they were ready move on from the pandemic. Now they are asking for neighboring provinces to take on their ICU patients. British Columbia said no as far as I know because we are at capacity.

Yup, and now they're flying sick patients 1,500 mi to Ontario. Woo!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Given how many people have died of covid and how many police officers there are that number actually seems pretty low to me

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

“I’m tired of COVID. Time to lift restrictions, open back up and return to normal”

This thought process has to be the result of decades of “problems” appearing and disappearing based on the news cycle and TV ratings.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Conservatives will see that kind of headline and be like "there's no need for restrictions because the hospital isn't running out of ICU beds"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Another Bill posted:

Yup, and now they're flying sick patients 1,500 mi to Ontario. Woo!

Sounds like a really good and smart idea, yeah for sure man, for sure

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I take back every bad thing I ever said about COVID. I do, in these circumstances, gotta hand it to them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1441422883666989058

https://twitter.com/LiveOnTheChat/status/1441423559516213248

LOL

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
You'd think that people are going on live tv with the Vice President of the United States first made sure that they DON'T have Covid but here we are lmao.

Like, I can't board on a one hour flight to Paris without deepthroating multiple tests but welp I guess we'll show up and hope our tests come negative when on live tv.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LOL

loving LOL.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Time to jump on the antivaxxer grift train! Choo choo!!🤣🤣

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

They both are vaxxed so a breakthrough case

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Galewolf posted:

They are both vaccinated "up the wazoo" no less!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's the problem, it's supposed to go in your arm!:dadjoke:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Galewolf posted:

Vaccines were never designed to prevent infection, just hopefully reduce death and hospitalizations

It's just "a case"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Vaccines were never designed to prevent infection, just hopefully reduce death and hospitalizations

It's just "a case"

I wasn't being super accurate with the terminology, straight up repeated what they said in the video, like, okay?

Also, vaccines also try to prevent infections , what?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I do wonder how things might have gone if the mRNA vaccines weren't quite so incredibly good at sterilizing immunity for the original wild type.

Obviously that would be bad news with the variants we have now as it'd be even worse. But maybe people wouldn't have immediately burned all their masks.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

lol

lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, this is the elephant in the room that tends to get ignored. Rupert Murdoch set up a propaganda machine that is continuing to run unchecked in the US, and Sinclair Broadcasting is feeding slightly more subtle propaganda through its network of "local" TV stations. There is all sorts of handwringing about social media, but the active brainwashing that has become endemic (heh) in our broadcast media is glossed over or ignored.

Murdoch is Australian , someone down under neesds to arrest him and then throw him into a the deepest prision hole AU has.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ginette Reno posted:

Given how many people have died of covid and how many police officers there are that number actually seems pretty low to me

Probably closer to average mortality if you control for age groups. Perhaps even higher.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PhazonLink posted:

Murdoch is Australian , someone down under neesds to arrest him and then throw him into a the deepest prision hole AU has.

Seems unlikely, he was born in Australia but he's a naturalised American for decades and splits his time between NY and the UK

naem
May 29, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

I mean it’s already a prison colony lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Galewolf posted:

I wasn't being super accurate with the terminology, straight up repeated what they said in the video, like, okay?

Also, vaccines also try to prevent infections , what?

I'm only repeating what I heard on the This Week in Virology podcast the other day, that vaccines in general are usually not meant to prevent infections (as opposed to hospitalizations/death), that's just a nice side effect of some vaccines

The original goal for all vaccines was "Stop people from dying", Covid vaccines got 90%+ in that area, so great job, a miracle of science, etc

"stop people from spreading it" wasn't a requirement, but the media decided to move the goalposts on that with "breakthrough cases", and antivaxxers are holding on to that for dear life (Welp if it don't prevent infection, dis got dang vawksine is poison!)

these epidemiologists complain about that all the time so I figured I'd spread their annoyance :haw:

naem
May 29, 2011

it was discovered that cow pox, which is usually not life threatening in healthy young people, prevented small pox once you’d had it so the first vaccine was literally “catch cow pox and barf a while”

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC the original FDA benchmark line of efficacy for what they would consider approving for a vaccine when the process started was 50% effective at preventing serious illness and death. Like that was the expectation.

The fact that we got like 95% against severe disease and death for a vaccine against this kind of disease was absolutely unprecedented. That it also came along with a high level of sterilizing immunity was a dream come true scenario. These vaccines are drat miracles.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

naem posted:

it was discovered that cow pox, which is usually not life threatening in healthy young people, prevented small pox once you’d had it so the first vaccine was literally “catch cow pox and barf a while”

And there were antivaxxers even back then. https://www.imago-images.de/st/0072345876

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

naem posted:

I just read a biography of Cotton Mather, the early puritan guy, and he was a huge advocate for inoculations against small pox when many science folks were opposed to it.

Someone angry at his stance actually threw a bomb through his window, but it didn't blow up. Weird early American antivaxxer in action, I guess.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I'm only repeating what I heard on the This Week in Virology podcast the other day, that vaccines in general are usually not meant to prevent infections (as opposed to hospitalizations/death), that's just a nice side effect of some vaccines

The original goal for all vaccines was "Stop people from dying", Covid vaccines got 90%+ in that area, so great job, a miracle of science, etc

"stop people from spreading it" wasn't a requirement, but the media decided to move the goalposts on that with "breakthrough cases", and antivaxxers are holding on to that for dear life (Welp if it don't prevent infection, dis got dang vawksine is poison!)

these epidemiologists complain about that all the time so I figured I'd spread their annoyance :haw:

While I do understand the point, I'm not sure "well, actually, vaccines are NOT designed to prevent illness it's just a bonus but the real take home is it prevents you from dying :eng101:" should be a sentence circulating around while "if vaccines protect against infections, what are you afraid of, check-mate libs :smuggo:" is one of the main copy paste "arguments"

I mean, yeah, my brain actually replaced the fact that vaccines are not for preventing infections which was like primary school knowledge due to media laser focusing on prevention percents.

You're categorically correct, my apologies.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Galewolf posted:

You'd think that people are going on live tv with the Vice President of the United States first made sure that they DON'T have Covid but here we are lmao.

Like, I can't board on a one hour flight to Paris without deepthroating multiple tests but welp I guess we'll show up and hope our tests come negative when on live tv.

Only viable excuse I can think of is that they are getting tested every single day all the time. Rather than a once off test that they should be waiting the results on.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's baloney (and they aren't epidemiologists, or vaccinologists). If the only "goal" of vaccination was to prevent severe disease and protection against infection was a minor bonus, then why were all of the phase 3 trials powered for protection against symptomatic infection and used that as their primary outcome, with protection v severe disease / death as secondary outcomes?

TBF, that's been TWiV's line from the start (they even tried to make up some nonsense about "severe disease herd immunity" which doesn't work at all), but it doesn't make sense from the actions of the scientific community actually involved in the development and approval of vaccines.

E: It doesn't mean a vaccine that only protects against severe disease is useless, it's just much less useful. Pretending that was the only goal is right up there with "why are we trying to prevent spread now that the curve has been flattened?"

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 24, 2021

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Stickman posted:

That's baloney (and they aren't epidemiologists, or vaccinologists). If the only "goal" of vaccination was to prevent severe disease and protection against infection was a minor bonus, then why were all of the phase 3 trials powered for protection against symptomatic infection and use that as their primary outcome, with protection v severe disease / death as secondary outcomes?

TBF, that's been TWiV's line from the start (they even tried to make up some nonsense about "severe disease herd immunity" which doesn't work at all), but it doesn't make sense from the actions of the scientific community actually involved in the development and approval of vaccines.

This, plus the eradication of smallpox and polio.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Purgatory Glory posted:

Only viable excuse I can think of is that they are getting tested every single day all the time. Rather than a once off test that they should be waiting the results on.

What I can't understand is, if their schedule is fixed (probably is) why not like have same day PCR tests everyday?

How can you get on live TV show with the VP without providing a PCR test result at the very least on the morning?

I can understand regular people, yeah I paid Day 2 test and it was false negative (or I wasn't infected by then) but I can't pay for another PCR so good luck everyone but a TV show surely can afford at least same day rapids before putting them on air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

This, plus the eradication of smallpox and polio.

As well as a lot of publications talking about what level of vaccination is required for herd immunity. A lot of immunologists seem to think that vaccination-based immunity and reductions in transmission aren't just a nice bonus, and I suspect that we're playing a game of telephone here