Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

Microsoft has an aversion to making a normal computer, it always has to have weird gimmicky form factor

as far as i can tell, the surface laptop is a normal-rear end computer, but that's the exception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

i'm ALL IN for the return of winphone though

i would be too, but the surface duo is still android

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

It's probably a POS, but that is some good marketing, it makes me want to have it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$1500 anroid

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol j allard's sex party garage produced a single concept video before he got pushed out of the company 10 years ago and they've probably spent 9 figures making a product that doesn't really do any of that stuff and is so expensive nobody buys it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in fairness, it was a loving great concept video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

in fairness, it was a loving great concept video

not really half the poo poo it showed was the same 3 gestures doing dozens of different actions with no apparent context switch and the writing was way too small for a digitizer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

not really half the poo poo it showed was the same 3 gestures doing dozens of different actions with no apparent context switch

i too haven't used an iphone since ios 7

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

say what you will about the realism/practicality of the demo workflow and interaction, apple has done worse wrt gestures and taps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apple has done worse because they are bound by what is actually possible and has to ship in something that people use and not a calvinball after effects video

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, yeah, but also it's a "concept" and not "a practical demonstration of the platform in action"

getting mad about the video equivalent of a napkin sketch because it lacks verisimilitude is a bit odd

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol napkin sketch that video was the only meaningful output of tens of millions of dollars in investment including a brand new cool office in downtown seattle

if the "concept" is something literally impossible then you're not presenting a design. if I make a cool electric car video that says it runs forever without ever needing to be recharged am I being "innovative?" I wouldn't even call that "aspirational" since it will never be possible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was a very expensive napkin sketch, sure

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
stebes withering contempt for "concept videos" was one of his best traits

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i'm ALL IN for the return of winphone though

i would buy a duo if it was winphone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i would buy a duo if it was winphone

i probably would too

then i'd discover that they too somehow hosed up text input on the keyboard and i'd be mad

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bwahaha it has two of those stupid curved edge screens facing into each other. amazing.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

if I make a cool electric car video that says it runs forever without ever needing to be recharged am I being "innovative?" I wouldn't even call that "aspirational" since it will never be possible

wow have you reached your first billion dollar valuation yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

wow have you reached your first billion dollar valuation yet

nah just real mad about impossible ui concept renders ever since minority report came out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

minority report is directly responsible for every subsequent "futuristic" ui being on a translucent glass panel for no loving reason

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

where are my special 3-fingered gloves for operating my dumbass huge touchscreen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google spent 8 figures on trying to copy it before they "discovered" what has been common knowledge since like the industrial revolution: humans can't hold their arms straight out unsupported for more than a few minutes at a time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
eh i still want one. i just really like the idea of big screen internet i can put in my pocket

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

google spent 8 figures on trying to copy it before they "discovered" what has been common knowledge since like the industrial revolution: humans can't hold their arms straight out unsupported for more than a few minutes at a time

wasn't it jobs who said exactly that about gorilla arms?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

The best part of the new Duo is that they added these new cameras on the back but it’s impossible to use them unless the phone is fully unfolded so you’re always going to be the idiot taking photos with a tablet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's not fair, you'll also be the idiot who bought a surface duo

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

that's not fair, you'll also be the idiot who bought a surface duo

A fate already worse than death.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

minority report is directly responsible for every subsequent "futuristic" ui being on a translucent glass panel for no loving reason

minority report in turn hired consultants from the media lab to come up with that ui

and you know who funded the media lab :whitewater:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

minority report in turn hired consultants from the media lab to come up with that ui

and you know who funded the media lab :whitewater:

oh i see, the solution was always to hire young girls to run the UI for you

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Endless Mike posted:

as far as i can tell, the surface laptop is a normal-rear end computer, but that's the exception
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atoODNAzivk

Clark Nova posted:

bwahaha it has two of those stupid curved edge screens facing into each other. amazing.
Better than the Galaxy Z Fold nonsense, still awful.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

acer made a design like that a year or two ago, but with the keyboard and touchpad swapped. many lols were had

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
more like 10 years ago not 1-2

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, 2013

either someone else did more recently or there was a design refresh, because i've definitely seen that design come up in the last couple years

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

you are thinking about hp, which did a steampunk thing all wrapped in leather with this exact concept

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

acer made a design like that a year or two ago

lol little bit longer than that

also it came preloaded with a star trek game

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atoODNAzivk

Better than the Galaxy Z Fold nonsense, still awful.

that's the surface laptop studio which is a hosed-up form factor. i am talking about the regular surface laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJedsO2YO6w

which is a regular rear end laptop

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

that's the surface laptop studio which is a hosed-up form factor. i am talking about the regular surface laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJedsO2YO6w

which is a regular rear end laptop

i completely forgot about the carpet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i guess carpeting qualifies as hosed-up form factor

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

one of the verge writers is real mad that they dropped the ability to separate the screen from this line

a feature which seems to have caused the graphics drivers to crash 70% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

acer made a design like that a year or two ago, but with the keyboard and touchpad swapped. many lols were had

"tell me you've never used a laptop without telling me you've never used a laptop"