Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Larry Parrish posted:

Unfortunately it's a lot more likely to get a bill or ballot option to ban almond growing through (or, more likely, some kind of hard limit on water/acre that makes it nonviable) than it would be to get the state legislature to outlaw private property, so. I dunno. We can't do nothing, but we have to work in the framework of this stupid state that intentionally ensures nothing ever happens, so... You know. Not much else to do besides hope, I guess.
The issue is water rights, and how a bunch of century old homestead style bullshit says some farmers have basically unlimited free water to do whatever they want with.

A law saying "actually, the water is not privately owned by you, it's owned by the state" would suddenly allow the state to charge them for the water they use/waste and place at least some controls on how much water they can use. Who cares if they want to use their 100,000 acre-feet at whatever price on apples or walnuts or almonds? As long as they're only using the amount that is sustainable, let them decide what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
One of the big negative effects of ag water being so cheap in CA is that farms have zero incentive to invest in conserving it. A ton of it is just straight-up wasted because there's no economic reason to fix leaky pipes or take measures to reduce evaporation.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FMguru posted:

One of the big negative effects of ag water being so cheap in CA is that farms have zero incentive to invest in conserving it. A ton of it is just straight-up wasted because there's no economic reason to fix leaky pipes or take measures to reduce evaporation.

As God intended. For He so loved California that he bestowed His only Market. Let all who profane Number die in anthropogenic super fire.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

card check is bad because it makes it easier to then go a step further and be like 'well you can only get a up to date voter card if you register' and then 'well you need a current license to register...' and so on that all sounds very reasonable at each step but at the end adds up to 'if you've ever had a speeding ticket you can't vote anymore'

maybe someone else has a smarter take, though, it's not like I particularly care about the details of voter suppression programs in the first place; I already don't think representative democracy is either representative or democratic, so it's not like I care if the liberals make it more of a sham than it already is.

You're confusing union card check with voter ID. Yes voter ID is bad for the reasons you listed.

Card check means that when workers want to form a union, they need to gather signed cards expressing support for forming a union from a majority of the workers at the workplace. They then submit the cards to the appropriate authority (eg the NLRB), who verifies if a majority has signed cards and if so, the union is officially formed and the employer must bargain with the union as the workers' exclusive representative.

In a secret ballot system, which is what exists in the US, after the workers gather enough cards to submit to the appropriate government board, there is then a delay of several months before another vote is held to make sure everyone still wants a union. This delayed election gives the employer time to hire expensive union-busting lawyers, step up their surveillance of their workers, campaign against the union with bullshit lies, intimidate workers into voting against the union, infiltrate worker organization, and fire or otherwise retaliate against pro-union employees. For obvious reasons, the employers prefer this system. This system is how, for example, the high-profile Amazon warehouse union vote in Alabama (iirc) failed a few months ago even after a majority of workers signed cards because Amazon had an extra six months to initiate a full-court press to threaten everyone into voting against the union.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 24, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

FMguru posted:

Yep. If big ag paid anywhere near what you or I did for their water, you’d see way more effective water use. But poo poo’s basically free, the only practical limit is what you can pump, so why not?

I mean, the water is gonna be used, crops need water, people need food. But only when water is more or less free for farmers are you gonna see it used for a crop that takes a gallon per nut and sells for only ten bucks a pound.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Very glad to live in a civilized nation, free of the Godless savages who cruel hoarded all the water in underground aquifers for millennia in blatant violation of the laws of the free market.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FMguru posted:

That is all part of why there is no longer a South Aral Sea.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Centrist Committee posted:

Very glad to live in a civilized nation, free of the Godless savages who cruel hoarded all the water in underground aquifers for millennia in blatant violation of the laws of the free market.

A can a week... that's all we ask.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Can’t wait until after The Glorious Revolution when crops requiring water and people requiring food (both symptoms of capitalist alienation) cease.

Central Valley is some of the most fertile agricultural land in the world, poo poo’s gonna grow there, and it needs water. There’s no way around that even under luxury space communism. But there’s better uses for that water and land than almonds or alfalfa.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 25, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nobody itt has ever argued in favor of allowing fertile agricultural land to lie fallow per se. Depleting relatively scarce water resources to grow export-oriented cash crops is an entirely different thing than producing food to meet human needs while taking into account resource availability.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Kenning posted:

Nobody itt has ever argued in favor of allowing fertile agricultural land to lie fallow per se. Depleting relatively scarce water resources to grow export-oriented cash crops is an entirely different thing than producing food to meet human needs while taking into account resource availability.

There is a whole Fed program for this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fill Baptismal posted:

Can’t wait until after The Glorious Revolution when crops requiring water and people requiring food (both symptoms of capitalist alienation) cease.

Central Valley is some of the most fertile agricultural land in the world, poo poo’s gonna grow there, and it needs water. There’s no way around that even under luxury space communism. But there’s better uses for that water and land than almonds or alfalfa.

i simply don't think we should grow almonds, op. and i think perhaps we shouldnt empty the aquifer considering it's going to ruin that nice fertile land lol. i don't think that makes me a head in the clouds space commie.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenning posted:

People in California like almonds. I consume like two pounds of pistachios a week, personally.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Central valley has sank by like 30 feet in the last 100 years.

No big deal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
At that rate we’ve got like 70,000 years before it reaches the center of the earth, no big deal.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
California gonna strengthen its hold on the lucrative Death Valley market

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
The "farms grow food and people need food" take is the type of strawman slogan I see on billboards all up and down Highway 152.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

cmerepaul posted:

The "farms grow food and people need food" take is the type of strawman slogan I see on billboards all up and down Highway 152.
"The government is wasting water by letting it flow into the ocean!"

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

eSporks posted:

"The government is wasting water by letting it flow into the ocean!"

Unconscionable that we allow "rivers" to exist when there are millions or billions of dollars in profit to be made by 2-3 wealthy families in the Central Valley.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Lamalfa really needs water for his rice fields or he starves!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cmerepaul posted:

I’m not sure it was taken down but my official “you have left the Bay Area” sign was in an orchard on hwy 25 into hollister with a picture of the Gipper reading “You’re in Reagan Country!”

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The letting water flow into the ocean is a real sign I've seen on the 5.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had small fantasies about what if that stupid Jefferson state poo poo passes because the locals here REALLY hate flatlanders (as do I) and it would be funny to imminent domain the dams and lower the output to minimum, permanently. unfortunately that's even less likely that Jefferson state being a thing since nobody here has any money and it's increasing filling up with remote tech workers who don't share that loathing and they generally price out all the locals anyway. in 5 years El dorado county is gonna get articles about how Tahoe is the New Silicon Valley

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Given that most of the 10 year old "Congress Created Dustbowl!!" signs finally got replaced with "Recall Newsom," I wonder what will replace them, eventually.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Larry Parrish posted:

I've had small fantasies about what if that stupid Jefferson state poo poo passes because the locals here REALLY hate flatlanders (as do I) and it would be funny to imminent domain the dams and lower the output to minimum, permanently. unfortunately that's even less likely that Jefferson state being a thing since nobody here has any money and it's increasing filling up with remote tech workers who don't share that loathing and they generally price out all the locals anyway. in 5 years El dorado county is gonna get articles about how Tahoe is the New Silicon Valley

Flatlander is such a weird pejorative imo. It's like, cool, you live in the mountains. Do you need some special recognition for that?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

cmerepaul posted:

Unconscionable that we allow "rivers" to exist when there are millions or billions of dollars in profit to be made by 2-3 wealthy families in the Central Valley.

Thank you, finally someone is making sense!!!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ardeem posted:

Given that most of the 10 year old "Congress Created Dustbowl!!" signs finally got replaced with "Recall Newsom," I wonder what will replace them, eventually.
Maybe once they are forced to stop denying climate change it will be "Congress created climate change!"

And, well, they will kinda be right.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

eSporks posted:

Maybe once they are forced to stop denying climate change it will be "Congress created climate change!"

And, well, they will kinda be right.

The land is so fertile because it was wetlands. It’s strictly correct to call it a created dustbowl. But acknowledging that irrigation is a collectively owned project then it must follow the allocations and the maintenance of the aquifer should be collective projects as well.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seph posted:

Flatlander is such a weird pejorative imo. It's like, cool, you live in the mountains. Do you need some special recognition for that?

it didn't make much sense to me either as a kid, but as an adult i quickly realized it's basically the same as cracker. in that it only actually applies to suburbanites with money. the town I grew up in specifically is basically a dead end in the middle of nowhere, so the only people who came were rich with crawler jeeps for the Rubicon or (attempting) to drive really fancy cars/bikes fast on the relatively empty roads. or the aforementioned remote workers who liked to buy up the rental houses and raise the rent 2x for 'a little cushion'. basically it's less about mountain rednecks being special and more about how irritating it is to have tourists tromping all around when the only real recreation is laughing at the poverty

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Larry Parrish posted:

basically it's less about mountain rednecks being special and more about how irritating it is to have tourists tromping all around when the only real recreation is laughing at the poverty

I'd assume the vast majority of people visiting mountains are there to be in nature rather than laugh at rednecks, even if they are driving a $100k range rover through a poor mountain town. I do understand how annoying it is to have a bunch of tourists invading where you live, though. That poo poo gets old quick.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seph posted:

I'd assume the vast majority of people visiting mountains are there to be in nature rather than laugh at rednecks, even if they are driving a $100k range rover through a poor mountain town. I do understand how annoying it is to have a bunch of tourists invading where you live, though. That poo poo gets old quick.

Before I stopped going to the bars up there I had multiple occasions where I'd be drunk and slipping into my really oakie accent and having bay area dudes straight up laugh in my face lol.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LA Times on the sad post-recall state of the CA GOP: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-09-25/recall-loss-california-republican-party-convention

quote:

At a grim convention, California GOP seeks to regroup after bruising recall defeat [ed: :yeshaha: ]

SAN DIEGO — California Republicans, stinging from their lopsided loss in this month’s recall election, sought to regroup and focus on the upcoming midterms at their party convention this weekend.
Typically a boisterous gathering, the three-day meeting in San Diego was among the grimmest in recent memory.

“I’ve been wanting to tell people this is the ‘There’s nowhere else to go but up convention,’” said Orange County delegate and former state GOP executive director Jon Fleischman, adding that he couldn’t because the party’s prospects could sink further because of the decennial redrawing of congressional districts currently underway.
Actually, the result was a huge victory for Republicans!

quote:

State Party Chair Jessica Millan Patterson said that while she was “super bummed” that the recall was not successful, the effort was a victory for the state GOP, including hiring staff and opening offices in key congressional and legislative districts around the state months ahead of schedule.

They forced Newsom on the defense, she said, pointing to anti-recall forces spending more than $80 million and bringing in heavyweight Democrats like President Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris to push liberal voters to the polls.

“They had to come out guns blazing in order to save his job,” she said in an interview.
I wish you many, many more victories like you won last week, Jessica.

Still, there's a plan to turn things around, right?

quote:

“The million-dollar question is: How do you turn the ship around? Is it even worth it? Can you turn it around?” said Ray Perez, the vice chairman of the Yolo County GOP, who has been critical of state party leadership’s messaging and communications with voters. “We’re not going to win a gubernatorial seat overnight. Can we win things that are within reach, which is an assembly seat. … I honestly don’t know. I don’t think so, but I want to be wrong.”
Oh.

Not even Republicans care about the CA Republican party any more

quote:

[Most] of the field was notably absent.

“Recovering from the campaign in Key West, Florida,” Elder, who received the most votes among the recall candidates, tweeted from an oceanfront bar on Saturday.

Businessman John Cox, who lives nearby, also did not attend, nor did Assemblyman Kevin Kiley or Olympian-turned-reality television star Caitlyn Jenner.

Presidential hopefuls, who often speak at California GOP conventions to mingle with the state’s donors, were also absent.

Read the whole thing, it's full of delicious GOP tears, including a bit wondering if all the Trumpy the-whole-voting-system-is-rigged chatter discouraged their voters.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Would love to see some salt in the wound for them from all those maskless pictures but I'm sure they're all fully vaccinated despite publicly bashing the vaccines like proper psychos.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Have a thought experiment for you all. Would it be possible to take over the CA GOP and turn it into an economic populous organization which is left of the CA Dems on economic issues? If so, how? Would this be a good idea?

Was thinking about it because I just looked up the Santa Clara GOP website and it looks like the entire organization is like three guys. The address for the org appears to be one of their houses.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Don't think you'll get any buy-in if you abandon the racism tbh, that's just the state of the GOP these days

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The organization is nothing without its donors, which only care about lower taxes and less regulation.

But donors won't pony up if you don't have voters, which care about one thing:

Tarezax posted:

Don't think you'll get any buy-in if you abandon the racism tbh, that's just the state of the GOP these days

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tarezax posted:

Confused didn't say anything about getting rid of the racism.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

FMguru posted:

Confused didn't say anything about getting rid of the racism.

Let's say you drop all of the GOP's social policies. Parties have shifted completely in the past, it's not like it's without president. The idea would be to create a policy platform which is compelling enough to pull in enough people (Dems, independents, non-voters) to compensate for the loss of the ride-or-die GOP culture warriors.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Even if the brand wasn't poison, no you'd never successfully take it over. Besides the fact that there's a national party that won't tolerate your local county branch issuing The Communist Manifesto under GOP letterhead and would come down on you like a ton of bricks, there are way more Republicans in the state than you realize who would get mad and take control back at the next opportunity. And since they would only have to outvote you and the five people who think what you're doing is a good idea, it wouldn't even be a big ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
You can look at how the DSA takeover of the Nevada state Democratic Party went to get a sense of how that would go.