Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Thoughts and prayers larry

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

bane mask golem posted:

I think it's time that we talk about it, for sure OP. I really like fyad humor also even if I wasn't allowed to post there. It's sad that there isn't anywhere on the forum for that style of humor. Can I bounce the question back to fyad regulars? What would be required to make a forum "feel" like fyad, without the worst of the ironic bigotry that gets vice media to publish bald lies about it?

To me, the big obvious core things that make it fyad are:
- Silly stylesheet where the avatars say the posts
- Heavily curated for quality and, uhh, culture fit. Needs a fyad regular in charge.
- NWS allowed

The changes would have to be:
- Ironic bigotry gone. Fyad mod would have to be willing to see to this.
- Don't mine the threads for sharing personal experiences for goonlulz, even when they're funny

What do other people think?

I think you should post this in FYAD if you really want to hear from FYAD regulars.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

like as far as I can tell people on this site are made mods either by happenstance or because they're hooked in to some back-slapping network of offsites. even when the admins ask for mod recommendations they seldom follow those recommendations e.g. the most recent d&d mod rec thread where they ended up promoting people no one asked for. homex was the last admin to actually take those nominations seriously but he was forced to quit

so if people are generally promoted to mod for any reason or no reason or a dumb reason, it seems fitting that they would eventually go back to regular posters for equally dumb reasons. yet somehow this only happens to good mods/IKs the community wants to keep around, like gradenko. but to get rid of a bad mod you have to form a loving mob in QCS

what I'm saying is the admins of this site are incompetent loving crybaby losers as well as just irritating on a personal level, and should be fired and frankly we'd probably be better off if the site was bought out by like the communist party of china

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

like as far as I can tell people on this site are made mods either by happenstance or because they're hooked in to some back-slapping network of offsites. even when the admins ask for mod recommendations they seldom follow those recommendations e.g. the most recent d&d mod rec thread where they ended up promoting people no one asked for. homex was the last admin to actually take those nominations seriously but he was forced to quit

so if people are generally promoted to mod for any reason or no reason or a dumb reason, it seems fitting that they would eventually go back to regular posters for equally dumb reasons. yet somehow this only happens to good mods/IKs the community wants to keep around, like gradenko. but to get rid of a bad mod you have to form a loving mob in QCS

what I'm saying is the admins of this site are incompetent loving crybaby losers as well as just irritating on a personal level, and should be fired and frankly we'd probably be better off if the site was bought out by like the communist party of china

A totally normal opinion by a cspam poster. Proving unequivocally that admins are doing the correct thing re: mods and admins

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

please mr xi... our admins need re-education

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/zWjM7iS.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wisdom

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Msdos kapital i skimmed your idea and am thinking about it. Nothing to add or anything yet

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
alec killed larry

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

we'd probably be better off if the site was bought out by like the communist party of china

they just banned Jeffrey's preferred currency

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRMH5XuJfr4

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

smarxist posted:

they just banned Jeffrey's preferred currency
one step closer to a hostile takeover

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Kim Bong Chill posted:

A totally normal opinion by a cspam poster. Proving unequivocally that admins are doing the correct thing re: mods and admins
:thunk: thanks for the posting feedback how r u

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mods: "give us feedback, tell us what you want"

posters: "we want a more democratic process for mod selection, and we want a process to recall poo poo mods."

mods: "yes, these are good ideas that at least one of us has been thinking about. give us your thoughts."

posters: "get rid of crusty nutsack"

mods: "nope."

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

why are you posting videos of the fat one from peep show. I'm not going to watch them to find out just tell me what your gimmick is

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

posters: "we want a more democratic process for mod selection, and we want a process to recall poo poo mods."

mods: "yes, these are good ideas that at least one of us has been thinking about. give us your thoughts."

They asked for feedback, they never promised they would listen to it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

that is a truly disgusting custom title someone bought some plague rats, holy gently caress

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

They asked for feedback, they never promised they would listen to it

woah nice redtext lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

drat i missed it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that was a heinous title and I blanked it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
???? what did it say??

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

some plague rats posted:

???? what did it say??

It wanted you to self-harm. awful title

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
something that is Extremely bannable and hosed Up and Not funny. the mods do not smil e on the type of humor it was using, let me tell you

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat I'm posting on the app so I didn't even see it. Sorry to whoever wasted 10 bucks

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lib and let die posted:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

swimsuit posted:

free larry / reinstate homex / ritually decapitate anyone that has more than 1 gang tag

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

posters: also free Larry

mods: well actually we would like to do that but our hands are tied. it was in fact the decision of the forum admins

jeff: yes I made that decision unilaterally

posters: ok then why did three mods and an admin say it was the decision of the cspam mods when it was brought up in qcs, and also that their hands were similarly tied?

(silence)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheSlutPit posted:

posters: also free Larry

mods: well actually we would like to do that but our hands are tied. it was in fact the decision of the forum admins

jeff: yes I made that decision unilaterally

posters: ok then why did three mods and an admin say it was the decision of the cspam mods when it was brought up in qcs, and also that their hands were similarly tied?

(silence)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you got the history part right, but it was the opposite when I became the only cspam mod. I checked the gently caress out because I was angry that the admins demodded the only other two mods, leaving me to run it alone. I didn't sign up for that; I don't want to be the only arbiter of rules or punishments or anything else. just in sheer size it's impossible for one person to run effectively as a volunteer and also have a life. at the time that happened, my personal life was better than it had been in a long time, so I just told the admins I was mostly checked out because I had better things to do. I kept in touch with the iks (because they rock and deserve mod support), but pretty much stopped doing reports completely at that time lol so I can understand how any actions I took during that period were seen as hostile or parachuting in or something. I only dealt with things that were brought to my attention by users or admins, really.

now that there's more new mods I'm paying more attention and more engaged again, but thunderbeast, drey and vyelkin are the ones still doing the grunt work while I just try and help them navigate the mod forum bs, provide feedback, offer history about poo poo they might not remember or know from the mod side, etc. I am definitely aware that I can step down at any time, but I do care about cspam and hope that I can offer the new mods something useful.

the mystery of why the fat guy lumbered into cspam to shoot bans repeatedly has been solved

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

finally someone says it

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

Neither Lib and Let Die or gradenko_2000 will be made mods at this time.

The why of this has to do with our criteria for choosing mods. Despite it being desired by some posters, forums can not have a direct election or hand-picked choice of moderators. This is because no forum exists in a vacuum, it shares resources and discussions with mods from every forum. Sensitive discussions for every forum's topic take place in the explicit understanding that all mods and admins can be trusted to keep this information private. This extends to issues surrounding users as well. Some of it is very sensitive, and involves very personal information. As an example, we have had instances of real life sexual assault and harassment between goons where the victim wanted us to be aware of it, preferred if they did not have to continue posting with the perpetrator, but did not want to draw attention to themselves by having it made public, or at the very least having their involvement made public.

Mods need to be able to keep confidences, for both the mod team and other users who approach them with sensitive issues. For a mod to be chosen, an important criteria to satisfy is whether or not they are capable of doing so, and this is determined by the current mod and admin team. At this time we have misgivings about the ability of these proposed candidates to do so, both based on what we have seen on the live forums and what other users have communicated to us.

That said, your requests for moderators to be chosen from the CSPAM community are completely reasonable, and we'll make every effort to find trustworthy moderators from within the community who have CSPAM and Something Awful's best interests at heart. Asking Smythe if he would be interested in moving over from QCS to CSPAM was part of that - he's been a vocal advocate the forum even when not modding it. Having him approach your community directly on that front was in direct response to these requests.

I know that many will find this unsatisfactory. Please understand that when making these decisions we always error on the side of protecting those in our community who may need to take advantage of what confidentiality we can offer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bane mask golem posted:

Neither Lib and Let Die or gradenko_2000 will be made mods at this time.

The why of this has to do with our criteria for choosing mods. Despite it being desired by some posters, forums can not have a direct election or hand-picked choice of moderators. This is because no forum exists in a vacuum, it shares resources and discussions with mods from every forum. Sensitive discussions for every forum's topic take place in the explicit understanding that all mods and admins can be trusted to keep this information private. This extends to issues surrounding users as well. Some of it is very sensitive, and involves very personal information. As an example, we have had instances of real life sexual assault and harassment between goons where the victim wanted us to be aware of it, preferred if they did not have to continue posting with the perpetrator, but did not want to draw attention to themselves by having it made public, or at the very least having their involvement made public.

Mods need to be able to keep confidences, for both the mod team and other users who approach them with sensitive issues. For a mod to be chosen, an important criteria to satisfy is whether or not they are capable of doing so, and this is determined by the current mod and admin team. At this time we have misgivings about the ability of these proposed candidates to do so, both based on what we have seen on the live forums and what other users have communicated to us.

That said, your requests for moderators to be chosen from the CSPAM community are completely reasonable, and we'll make every effort to find trustworthy moderators from within the community who have CSPAM and Something Awful's best interests at heart. Asking Smythe if he would be interested in moving over from QCS to CSPAM was part of that - he's been a vocal advocate the forum even when not modding it. Having him approach your community directly on that front was in direct response to these requests.

I know that many will find this unsatisfactory. Please understand that when making these decisions we always error on the side of protecting those in our community who may need to take advantage of what confidentiality we can offer.

congrats on forgetting to log into the jeffery account

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Bro...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

top 10 posting tragedies

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lol that was the one about nichael and wampa right?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
A lot of people have rightfully brought up that people get around the r-word ban by posting euphemisms that everyone knows are still meant to evoke someone with an intellectual disability. my gut reaction is to start doing probes for those euphemisms, but I think that would just lead to more of them. Basically forever chasing the newest euphemism on behalf of people who are very unlikely to ever read the CSPAM forums. There are probably people reading who have family or loved ones whom these slurs are directed at (self included), and some folks who got lumped into that category due to other mental disabilities, but this is still a “protecting people who aren’t using the forums/modding on their behalf.”

I think people who use these slurs are being lovely, and that anyone informed enough to regularly post in CSPAM knows better. But at some point there has to be some trust in the community to police itself. For people to be able to say “drat, this dude keeps using this slur” and call it out. Like maybe something where people are encouraged to allow some sincerity in the community of calling out lovely behavior or wording, and some trust for people to figure out on their own if it’s someone doing holier than thou trolling or actually bothered by stuff.

I think if someone is the kind of rear end in a top hat who genuinely has hate toward the disabled, they’re going to wind up getting probed or banned for that because they won’t shut the gently caress up about it. encourage folks in the community to talk to each other about lovely language rather than having a mod step in. Like, a person I know telling me “hey man your use of that bothers me” is gonna do way more than an arbitrary authority telling me I got caught breaking the rule and get a probe would.

anyway, free Larry. I don’t think he’s the Rosa parks of saying the r-word, but he made a salient point. And reading other folks talking about it and discussion on it has lead me to change my mind on the issue, and I’m a little rule follower stooge at heart.

also, as a mental health professional, it is insulting as gently caress for some rear end in a top hat on the internet to claim they know better about Larry’s mental health than he does. Dont loving try to claim that authority. gross.

edit: just say you don’t like his posting. don’t pretend to be doing him a psychic favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fr0id posted:

Like, a person I know telling me “hey man your use of that bothers me” is gonna do way more than an arbitrary authority telling me I got caught breaking the rule and get a probe would.

yea, here it'll get 10 other people to come in and gleefully call you slurs while going on multi paragraph diatribes about why it's fine for them to use slurs and you should quit complaining.

really funny that the same forum that has a stick up its rear end about having the moral high ground on dnd also can't stop obsessively begging to be allowed to use slurs with the excuse 'we simply can't stop, people won't stop no matter what, so you should just give up and let it happen'