Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Havana Syndrome cause Lib Brain
This poll is closed.
Microwaves to the head 2 2.30%
Mass psychosis caused by lib brain 16 18.39%
Jeb! 23 26.44%
CIA reverse psychology causing Havana Syndrome 6 6.90%
Putin causes Lib Brain via Havana Syndrome 9 10.34%
VOTE! 31 35.63%
THE CIA PUT A CHIP IN MY BRAIN (RIP Norm) 0 0%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tibalt posted:

Sorry to be a downer but it makes me sad how many authors I read as a kid turned to be shitbags. Basically just Tolkien and LeGuin standing next to King, who gets a pass because addiction makes you a monster and he got clean and made amends. Everyone else was a monster and got a pass because that's how fantasy and sci fi were.

Le Guin is the greatest American author in history. I will fight anybody who says otherwise

Most are bad tho as you mentioned because ofc America bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

idk steinbeck?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Tibalt posted:

Sorry to be a downer but it makes me sad how many authors I read as a kid turned to be shitbags. Basically just Tolkien and LeGuin standing next to King, who gets a pass because addiction makes you a monster and he got clean and made amends. Everyone else was a monster and got a pass because that's how fantasy and sci fi were.

Yeah the list of speculative fiction authors pre-2000 that were both successful and not raging bigots, sex pests, child abusers, or all 3 is incredibly small.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

idk steinbeck?

Also extremely good, Grapes of Wrath is of course GOAT, but if we're taking authors as a whole it's hard to argue against Le Guin

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
i read a lot of trash fantasy as a kid but let me tell you the eddings being bad people was not super shocking

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Kim was the first video game character where I actively wanted their approval.

yeah i quit my Weird Cop run because while it is very funny to be a hosed up drug addict that pulls conclusions out of thin air, i couldnt keep disappointing my bro

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

by having not played disco elysium, and therefore never having been a cop, has hau outflanked us from the left?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I just finished Wheel of Time. Its pretty good.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

yeah i quit my Weird Cop run because while it is very funny to be a hosed up drug addict that pulls conclusions out of thin air, i couldnt keep disappointing my bro

Day 1: ugh this guy is a bummer, I hate games that saddle me with a sidekick

Day 2: I will kill anybody who hurts my best friend, Kim Kitsuragi

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Five best characters in Disco Elysium:

1) Kim
2) Kim
3) Kim
4) The Cryptid
5) Kim

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

by having not played disco elysium, and therefore never having been a cop, has hau outflanked us from the left?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sedisp posted:

just in time for the Amazon Television Series i see

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah the list of speculative fiction authors pre-2000 that were both successful and not raging bigots, sex pests, child abusers, or all 3 is incredibly small.

Arthur C Clarke hurt to learn about

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Sedisp posted:

The first three are some great high fantasy, it goes pretty downhill from there.

It is amazing how many authors I read as a young adult turned out to be giant poo poo bags.

I loved Garfield and Dilbert as a kid, and Enders game and Heinlein as a tween.

You learn to separate the art from the artist.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Five best characters in Disco Elysium:

1) Kim
2) Kim
3) Kim
4) The Cryptid
5) Kim

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Jaxyon posted:

i read a lot of trash fantasy as a kid but let me tell you the eddings being bad people was not super shocking
The Color of Her Panties (1998) - a book adults saw me reading, in public, and didn't find questionable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i'm scared to even search that one

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

just in time for the Amazon Television Series i see

You'd think that but I started like I wanna say two three weeks before it was announced. It was a wild coincidence

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, what did Jim Davis do?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
joe biden is the most progressive president ever

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Probably Magic posted:

Wait, what did Jim Davis do?

Wrote Garfield of course

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
dementia is generally progressive

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
in retrospect 90s fantasy was almost entirely comprised of dudes like, hello yes i am Stench Hamish, author of the hit The Wizard's Boner trilogy

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Wait please tell me the Calvin and Hobbes guy isn't a milkshake duck

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tibalt posted:

The Color of Her Panties (1998) - a book adults saw me reading, in public, and didn't find questionable.

Piers Anthony....the guy who I, as an incredibly sexually frustrated and creepy 16 year old, found to be a tad too creepy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Judakel posted:

Decomposition is generally progressive

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Berkley Breathed is a sexpest, he just doesn't know how to make funny jokes about Trump before, which is a shame because Trump's brain in Bill the Cat is better satire than SNL has done of him for the past four years.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Lib and let die posted:

this post is a health and morale hit

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Piers Anthony....the guy who I, as an incredibly sexually frustrated and creepy 16 year old, found to be a tad too creepy.

I think reading piers anthony when I was like 10 broke my brain

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

self-owningishly: i read the hell out of the dragonlance novels back in the day

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

i mean im not 100% going to say he isnt given his age but he mostly seems to be just kind of a coot auteur type

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Lib and let die posted:

self-owningishly: i read the hell out of the dragonlance novels back in the day

some were ok and some were embarassingly bad....weis and hickman are solidly C-tier fantasy authors

i don't know if dragonlance ever hit the lows of the star wars expanded universe. lucas would approve loving anything because the dude quite clearly gives not single poo poo about the quality of writing including his own(and yes I read the series he did with Chris Claremont)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think we can all agree that Heinlein and Orson Scott Card were dumpster-tier psychos

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Nah he's just an anti TV and things dude. He's a pretty progressive dude from what little we have post Calvin and Hobbes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Oh God...that 4th taco did me in. The first 3 and the chips and salsa were ok but now after the liquor is fading I realize my mistake.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I think we can all agree that Heinlein and Orson Scott Card were dumpster-tier psychos

I'm mean one is only known by their German surname and the other is named Orson. The signs were all there

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
bill watterson was typically "we live in a society" but in a very byob way

im sure hes absolutely crack pinged the gently caress out at this rate and loathes consumerism more than any of us will

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

heinlein is one of those guys you could invent some premise like "a guy time-travels to the future to gently caress his own grandchildren" and i would believe he wrote that book

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

heinlein is one of those guys you could invent some premise like "a guy time-travels to the future to gently caress his own grandchildren" and i would believe he wrote that book

This is probably the best summation of the man's works that I've heard lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
"martians are real and strong and my friend and we're forming a sex cult"