Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

That sums all this up very well, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
I'm guessing that the cyber ninjas press conference is going to include little bits of bullshit to placate their audience while being scared of fudging the big numbers. Expecting to hear about the bamboo fibers found on ballots ect.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a term or german word for when a conservative suddenly finds themselves agreeing with what a schizophrenic person says because it is politically convenient and agrees with what their civil war era gut is telling them

Chudenfreude?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Elea posted:

I'm guessing that the cyber ninjas press conference is going to include little bits of bullshit to placate their audience while being scared of fudging the big numbers. Expecting to hear about the bamboo fibers found on ballots ect.

Trump's stupid rear end released a press statement saying "the real info comes out at 4!"

So who knows. Probably more "so many irregularities" without proof, again. The right will be scammed forever because they can't learn from mistakes. To learn, you have to admit you were wrong, and they never will.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Elea posted:

An early Q password was 'matlock' so he's some old guy or was until the 8 chan owners took it over

I'm too young to get this reference.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

PhazonLink posted:

I'm too young to get this reference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matlock_(TV_series)

Old person law & order

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a term or german word for when a conservative suddenly finds themselves agreeing with what a schizophrenic person says because it is politically convenient and agrees with what their civil war era gut is telling them

conservatism

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Maybe it’s just because I haven’t seen it in 30 years, but wasn’t it a bit more lighthearted?

EDIT: had a banger of a theme song either way.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lol, TheDonald is slowing down and giving errors due to all the people refreshing, desperate for people to tell them why they're right.

I really doubt anyone would bother to DDOS it.

edit: I was wondering how they'd move the goalposts, since if the paper ballots match the announced count, that means that the voting machines couldn't be flipping votes.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 24, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Blue Moonlight posted:

Maybe it’s just because I haven’t seen it in 30 years, but wasn’t it a bit more lighthearted?

EDIT: had a banger of a theme song either way.

Yeah, I've never seen it but I can't imagine Andy Griffith covering a double homicide found down by the docks. I just meant it's a crime drama

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Xand_Man posted:

Yeah, I've never seen it but I can't imagine Andy Griffith covering a double homicide found down by the docks. I just meant it's a crime drama
No, Matlock had a lot of murder cases, but he was a defense attorney, so he was the guy getting people off the hook who were being framed.

But most episodes closed with a cute sitcom humorous ending. Oh that Matlock!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Presto posted:

No, Matlock had a lot of murder cases, but he was a defense attorney, so he was the guy getting people off the hook who were being framed.

But most episodes closed with a cute sitcom humorous ending. Oh that Matlock!

He was actually just a private investigator who passed the bar, he never won his cases by lawyering he just would find some evidence and typically catch the criminal in a lie on the stand and they’d confess. It’s basically literally murder she wrote with a lawyer instead of a writer.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I live in The Netherlands. One of my neighbours now has two Q stickers on their car. WTF America keep that poo poo at home

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

He was actually just a private investigator who passed the bar, he never won his cases by lawyering he just would find some evidence and typically catch the criminal in a lie on the stand and they’d confess. It’s basically literally murder she wrote with a lawyer instead of a writer.

Funny. In real life when you confront horrible people with logic and evidence they just say that you eat children and that god will punish you.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I live in The Netherlands. One of my neighbours now has two Q stickers on their car. WTF America keep that poo poo at home

We can't even get violently ill people to stay home

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

We're not even particularly good at getting them to stay in their own state, much less the country.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Couldn't possibly be that reactionism and stupidity are not unique to the United States or a certain region of it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Couldn't possibly be that reactionism and stupidity are not unique to the United States or a certain region of it.

True, but also exporting our culture has always been an American thing so it makes sense that we'd export our crazy too

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

True, but also exporting our culture has always been an American thing so it makes sense that we'd export our crazy too

That's pretty much every hegemony isn't it?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Bel Shazar posted:

I guess but we've been the global hegemon since the the dawn of broadcast media so :shrug:

Edit: Actually as I think on it more hegemony is sufficient but not necessary

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 25, 2021

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

that's international fascism, it's from everywhere

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

pseudanonymous posted:

And the one time he tried being a defense lawyer, i.e. creating reasonable doubt, he lost the case because he was just trying to get his guilty client to change her plea by badgering her best friend.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

I guess but we've been the global hegemon since the the dawn of broadcast media so :shrug:

Edit: Actually as I think on it more hegemony is sufficient but not necessary

I guess i'm just saying it's not a uniquely american thing, but it's definitely a thing we do.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Lord Stimperor posted:

QAnon Anonymous (which, if you're reading this thread, go subscribe immediately) goes into this a bit, but QAnon isn't just an ideology. It's an ideological framework with villains that can be copy / pasted onto non-American political and social systems, similar to how The Protocols of the Elders of Zion took off in Central America despite lack of a sizeable Jewish population. It's a means to an end that lets reactionaries accuse their political enemies of being so cartoonishly evil that violence against them must by definition be justified.

Add in the ever-increasing globalization of politics and it can spread like wildfire; clearly left-leaning Dutch politicians have ties to the American-based international blood-drinking Satanic cabal, because why wouldn't they.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bel Shazar posted:

Romans were honestly more importers than exporters of the cultures. Mongols too.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Romans were honestly more importers than exporters of the cultures. Mongols too.

Americans imported reality shows and fascism from Europe, we do both.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

I feel like that is more a function of available mediums rather than preference, but you are totally right that they import and absorb way more than we do. We mostly steal from ourselves or crib from the UK.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Americans imported reality shows and fascism from Europe, we do both.

The fascists used the us as a model for a lot of stuff, though—mostly propaganda based on advertising and legal definitions of racial difference.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hitler (and Germany broadly) were huge fans of US western movies and literature. Germany even had a homegrown self-insert cowboy series that managed to be even more racist than contemporary US cowboys and indians stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

Funny. In real life when you confront horrible people with logic and evidence they just say that you eat children and that god will punish you.

Well, they're half right

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hitler (and Germany broadly) were huge fans of US western movies and literature. Germany even had a homegrown self-insert cowboy series that managed to be even more racist than contemporary US cowboys and indians stuff.

The Shatterhand/Winnetou books are really, really weird. They’re definitely racist and bad, but they’re racist and bad in their own idiosyncratic way that doesn’t fit all the same trends as the more familiar Western fiction. They’re more like James Fenimore Cooper where instead of treating Native Americans like subhumans, they get portrayed more like elves or something where they’re some kind of ineffable magic Other.

Which still is loving awful, can’t state that enough, but it’s its own bizarre kind of awful derived from different racist first principles. It’s like another “genre” of racism or something, so certainly not any less terrible but varied in the specifics.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, so this one is hilarious: a ballot conspiracy so dumb that the QAnon guys debunked it themselves before anyone else cared to do so. I'm cracking up.

So check this image, from "Dr. Shiva", the guy who claims to have invented email:

He was claiming that the fact that the 'verified and approved' stamp doesn't go over the triangle means that the stamp must have been faked digitally. This whole election is invalid!!!!1!

But if you look at the original envelope images...

...you'll see that both triangles and the box are solid figures. The scanner was incorrectly set and is converting all the solid shapes to outlines. So when the black stamp goes over the black box, the scanner is removing it with the black box. Notice that when the stamp goes over the red triangle, it isn't removed, because of the color difference.

Lmao.

edit: shoutout to the poor bastard in the comments so dumb that he thinks you'd get an image like this if you stamped a blank sheet of paper, and then printed a triangle shape over it.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 25, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Wouldnt most scanners or copiers be set like that as default because why waste ink on a solid shape when a competant human knows this shape is solid and stuff.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Wouldnt most scanners or copiers be set like that as default because why waste ink on a solid shape when a competant human knows this shape is solid and stuff.

Well, yeah, if you're setting it to scan because you plan to print it out again, that makes lots of sense. If you're scanning because you want a digital record of a thing, probably better to have it set to make a 1:1 copy.

Not actually a big deal, since these are the envelopes, not the actual ballot. I'm just amused because a guy claiming like 6 MIT degrees can't figure out why the scan is weird.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

I'm just amused because a guy claiming like 6 MIT degrees can't figure out why the scan is weird.

He knows why. He's not stupid, he's dishonest.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What kind of degrees?

Like I have theoretical degrees too. I can read numbers too. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

What kind of degrees?

Like I have theoretical degrees too. I can read numbers too. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.

Wikipedia posted:

Ayyadurai's undergraduate degree from MIT was in electrical engineering and computer science; he took a master's degree in visual studies from the MIT Media Laboratory on scientific visualization; concurrently, he completed another master's degree in mechanical engineering, also from MIT; and in 2007, he obtained a Ph.D. in biological engineering from MIT in systems biology, with his thesis focusing on modeling the whole cell by integrating molecular pathway models. In 2007, he was awarded a Fulbright U.S. Student Program grant to study the integration of Siddha, a system of traditional medicine developed in South India, with modern systems biology.

This is the same guy who claims to have invented email despite that being incontrovertibly false. He's a smart guy who has a penchant for making poo poo up if it suits whatever agenda he wants to push.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Froghammer posted:

QAnon Anonymous (which, if you're reading this thread, go subscribe immediately)

Yeah I've been listening to that podcast for about a year now. I've been losely following conspiracy nuts for a while so these guys are catnip for me.

Q has been seeping into Europe since the start. You'd mainly see them at anti-lockdown protests. They'd be the guys waving inexplicably waving American flags in Berlin and Amsterdam. I've seen #savethechildren appear at several right-wing protests across multiple countries. And last year I've also seen 1 (one) person wearing a shirt with a Q print. You'd see the odd commenter under a news article asking why no one was talking about Ivermectin. But I was hoping that with COVID fading out of the public consciousness here, these guys would lose interest. The fact that I now have a full blown Q infowarrior (yes I know they are theoretically rivaling fandoms) possibly living in my building is an unwelcome reminder that these people aren't just funny Twitter profiles, they're real and out there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That is definitely a self-written wikipage. How the hell has that not been edited into nothingness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Shatterhand/Winnetou books are really, really weird. They’re definitely racist and bad, but they’re racist and bad in their own idiosyncratic way that doesn’t fit all the same trends as the more familiar Western fiction. They’re more like James Fenimore Cooper where instead of treating Native Americans like subhumans, they get portrayed more like elves or something where they’re some kind of ineffable magic Other.

Which still is loving awful, can’t state that enough, but it’s its own bizarre kind of awful derived from different racist first principles. It’s like another “genre” of racism or something, so certainly not any less terrible but varied in the specifics.

Yeah what Karl May wrote was 'woke for his time' but terrible from a modern perspective, if that makes sense. He didn't depict indigenous peoples as racially inferior and instead cast them as noble, wise, brave, and exotic to Europeans. In his stories he'd have the good natives and Europeans rally together to defend innocents from evil bandits and warlords. For the time that was a very positive message. The racism was a byproduct of a Eurocentric view on culture. Any culture that was non-European was non-normal, exotic, and inherently inferior. So I think it's not necessarily racist first principles per so, but more like cultural chauvinist first principles. I guess that's par for the course for someone who lived when European states being colonial empires and regarding themselves as the apex culture was the most normal thing in the world.

By the way, I have a hard time gauging his overall cultural impact in terms of good/bad in my opinion. On the one hand, he exoticized native Americans and appropriated their culture. To add insult to injury, he only even knew of America and the natives from books himself in the first place. And he made a killing doing it. Don't get me started on the decades of in hindsight very unfortunate cosplays that he caused. On the other hand, he painted and popularized a picture of native Americans that was as positive as it could get for the time, however misguided it was. And his cultural impact was tremendous. His completely bogus and weird romanticized stories of the Wild West were on the night stands of multiple generations of kids. For half a century it had the same cultural relevance that the Harry Potter franchise had for millenials.

I can't help but think that had history been different, he might have had a lasting positive effect. He might have inspired young people to become aware of and advocate for the rights of indigenous peoples in their adulthood. Unfortunately, the Third Reich did happen. So instead, all these adults had to spend their adulthood either seeking or avoiding confrontation with the fact that they or their parents committed one of the most brutal and cruel campaigns of human annihilation in history.

It's 3 am and I'm losing myself in weird counterfactuals about how much better the world could have looked "if only". I hope I don't come off as stanning Karl May books. But I think it's worth considering them in the context of their time because otherwise it just doesn't make sense why people loved these stories so much.