Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I finally got the tokagemaru smithing text, so I guess now I burn my my pile of materials trying for a perfect roll, then I inherited it up to ethereal and the proper grace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Yup. Good luck.

🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️👏👏🙇‍♂️

(Shrine Prayer gesture)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just tried a bit of Nioh on my PS4 because I got it for free from + one month. I think there's something there, but I can definitely see some rough edges. Now, is this the sort of game where I can pick up Nioh 2 and just have way more fun without really missing anything, or is there value in playing through the first one first?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Personally, I found Nioh 2 to be 'Nioh 1 but better in just about every way'. No way to tell if Nioh is for you. Play a small amount of it, like say, 3 levels including big bosses. If it is at all to your enjoyment, try Nioh 2. You might like it better, you might not.

There are connections between the two games but Nioh 1 is in no way necessary to enjoy 2.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Morter posted:

Yup. Good luck.

🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️👏👏🙇‍♂️

(Shrine Prayer gesture)

I made a 100 and they all sucked

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calidus posted:

I finally got the tokagemaru smithing text, so I guess now I burn my my pile of materials trying for a perfect roll, then I inherited it up to ethereal and the proper grace?

Make a divine one, equip it and then run around with Lucky Drop Weapon on your accessory and get the ethereal versions that way. Crafting is dead in the endgame.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 5, 2021

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Just tried a bit of Nioh on my PS4 because I got it for free from + one month. I think there's something there, but I can definitely see some rough edges. Now, is this the sort of game where I can pick up Nioh 2 and just have way more fun without really missing anything, or is there value in playing through the first one first?

I put about 20 odd hours into Nioh 1 because like you I felt there was something there but the rough edges (level design, repetitive encounters) really put me off eventually. Picked Nioh 2 hoping/hearing it was a significant improvement and I loved it to bits. It really is an improvement in just about every way that makes the good cool ideas and mechanics really take off, Nioh 1 feels like an unpolished prototype to Nioh 2 (to me at least).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's called Nioh 1 because Nioh-one needs to play it any more

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's called Nioh 1 because Nioh-one needs to play it any more

Main brain tells me to boo.
But my heart cheers.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Morter posted:

Personally, I found Nioh 2 to be 'Nioh 1 but better in just about every way'. No way to tell if Nioh is for you. Play a small amount of it, like say, 3 levels including big bosses. If it is at all to your enjoyment, try Nioh 2. You might like it better, you might not.

There are connections between the two games but Nioh 1 is in no way necessary to enjoy 2.

Autsj posted:

I put about 20 odd hours into Nioh 1 because like you I felt there was something there but the rough edges (level design, repetitive encounters) really put me off eventually. Picked Nioh 2 hoping/hearing it was a significant improvement and I loved it to bits. It really is an improvement in just about every way that makes the good cool ideas and mechanics really take off, Nioh 1 feels like an unpolished prototype to Nioh 2 (to me at least).

Right on. Got 2 on my wishlist, I think I'll like it. Thanks!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Just killed first boss of DLC3 on way of the wise, my heavy armored hammer mage was doing only like 100 damage a hit so I ran away while he was poisoned from snake guardian spirit scrolls which dealt 999 damage per tick, then spammed 6x thunderstorm, 6x fireball, 6x geyser, 4x lightsaber with genbu for onmyo hit gives anima to use fuki soul core for max ki drain. I hardly even swung my weapon but got a victory in the end :confuoot: I might need to respec so that I don't have 90% of my points in health and magic and actually use weapons.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Just temper transform bonus (magic) for your hammer (or maybe its inherit only? Been a while since I played this) and remodel it to match if needed, much better option for a melee using mage character.

Cascade Failure fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 8, 2021

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Transform magic bonus is a star property I think, and as far as I understand it, star property means powerful property that can't be rolled except by picking the item up? I'd like to get weapons with that bonus but that's at the mercy of RNG

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I just looked and I have a spear that has it, it is both a star and an inheritable, I can probably smith up my hammer and catch it up with that

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 8, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there any point in touching any of the blacksmith stuff on NG? I've been disassembling all my trash equipment for lack of anything better to do with it but I don't feel particularly inspired to forge stuff

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I honsetly wouldn't bother doing much smithing in NG. Acessories or a favourite armor set are the only things I'd bother with. You could try temper them for always useful bonus like 'quick recovery when out of ki' or properties like that if you plan on using them for awhile. Having an accessory with quick recovery/enemy sensor/kodama sensor is a great piece of equipment that will take a long time to go obselete.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there any point in touching any of the blacksmith stuff on NG? I've been disassembling all my trash equipment for lack of anything better to do with it but I don't feel particularly inspired to forge stuff

Mostly no, blacksmith stuff really starts to matter on NG+. anything you use in NG will get replaced by something higher-level too frequently to be worth the trouble.

You can also sell trash gear for money or donate it at the shrine for exp.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nioh 1 Complete Edition is free on EGS until Sept 16th

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
I noticed something strange with Unbroken. The in-game information (and every online source I can see discussing it) says that it only builds stacks with unique combos but I've been able to build them by spamming Quick Attack -> Fracture Foe -> Repeat with no problem. I also just tested it with Stomp; you can't spam it like fracture foe but I was still able to build multiple stacks with the same enemy. Did this possibly get changed in a patch and the developers just forgot to update the in-game information? Or am I just missing something?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rabid Boar posted:

I noticed something strange with Unbroken. The in-game information (and every online source I can see discussing it) says that it only builds stacks with unique combos but I've been able to build them by spamming Quick Attack -> Fracture Foe -> Repeat with no problem. I also just tested it with Stomp; you can't spam it like fracture foe but I was still able to build multiple stacks with the same enemy. Did this possibly get changed in a patch and the developers just forgot to update the in-game information? Or am I just missing something?

It's worked that way for as long as I can remember, and I don't feel like it's out of balance. As far as the in-game information goes, just assume that anything you read in-game regarding the mechanics requires some kind of context triangulation to be absolutely sure that your interpretation is correct. Nioh 1 was even worse about this. I say if there's anything you want to check for sure, check it yourself to see if it agrees with what someone else says, and ultimately the real judge of how it works is what you find through your own tests.

Or for less words, yea it's always worked that way for me. I'd change your spam though. Try kick cycle -> spinning kick > kick cycle > spinning kick > repeat forever

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Okay, cool, good to know. I'll definitely have to give other combos a try. I have a bad gaming habit of finding skills/combos/etc. that work adequately and then using them forever without trying to find something better.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rabid Boar posted:

this doesn't work for me and I've been driving myself bonkers trying to get more than a consistent 5 stack for days wtf

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this doesn't work for me and I've been driving myself bonkers trying to get more than a consistent 5 stack for days wtf

That's really weird. It was actually your post in the dreams thread that made me want to confirm whether this was something that anyone else noticed. While testing, I was still able to build stacks even with only my fist weapon and guardian spirits w/ yokai abilities equipped so I'm thinking it may possibly be some combination of skills? I'll test it more later and see if I can figure out at point I can no longer build stacks with spam.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
As far as I've seen, it triggers as long as you are using an active skill that, in fighting game terms, is used to 2-in-1 into something else, and for that not to be the same attack that triggered it the previous time. For example, both Stomp and Archer's Impact can be used as a sort of "cancel" into something else, but because of how they function within a string of attacks, you won't be following them up with another active skill very easily. They are more for following up with normals. The reason I like Kick Cycle and Spinning Kick is that Kick Cycle can be canceled after one hit into Spinning Kick, and Spinning Kick can 2-in-1'd into Kick Cycle. This means that with just those two active skills, you can fill up your combo as much as you feel like it. At least that's how I remember it being.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I felt silly today and made a little video after reaching a treasure room today.

Here's a little bonus room...

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Huh, a patch dropped for both games on PC.

both

■Added features
・Implemented cross-play with the Epic Games Store version.
Crossplay settings can be changed from System Menu - Online Settings.
Note: To enable Crossplay, an Epic Games account is required.
Note: If you enable Crossplay, you will no longer be able to be matched with users for which Crossplay is not enabled.
Note: If you enable Crossplay, when attempting to match with a friend, your Epic Games account will be referenced.

Nioh

■Corrected issues
・Corrected an issue in which the Achievement "Freedom Restored" could sometimes not be obtained.

・Corrected an issue in which, during a battle, if both participants' Life reached 0 at nearly the same time, Life would sometimes not be displayed correctly.

・Other minor issues were corrected.

Nioh 2

■Corrected issues
・Corrected an issue in which the batch check filter for a Soul Core at a Storehouse at a Starting Point would not behave correctly.

・Corrected an issue in which, if an item set as a Favorite Item from a Storehouse at a Starting Point was moved to an item box, the item would no longer be a Favorite Item.

・Corrected an issued in which, when controlling the game using a keyboard and mouse, if a specific button was held down while attempting a Yokai Shift, it could not be performed.

・Corrected an issue in which, when playing movies from, for example, the Skill Customization menu, shadows in stages would display incorrectly.

・Corrected an issue in which some of the Amrita Crystals placed in stages were not displayed correctly.

・Corrected an issue in which, for the character Minamoto no Yoshitsune, the effects of a specific attack would not be displayed correctly.

・Corrected an issue in which, after joining the Underworld as a visitor, the game could sometimes no longer be advanced.

・Corrected an issue in which, even if Kashin Koji, a boss that appears in a Picture Scroll Mission, was defeated, the defeat would not be counted for "Bosses defeated" in the player's gameplay record.

・Other minor issues were corrected.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rabid Boar posted:

That's really weird. It was actually your post in the dreams thread that made me want to confirm whether this was something that anyone else noticed. While testing, I was still able to build stacks even with only my fist weapon and guardian spirits w/ yokai abilities equipped so I'm thinking it may possibly be some combination of skills? I'll test it more later and see if I can figure out at point I can no longer build stacks with spam.

I've finally managed to get it working with the two kick combo, I was waiting too long to cancel them into each other. Still a bit touch and go with other moves but I no longer need to use other moves lol

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

That's great. Hopefully the next time you meet Lance Reddick, it will be more pleasant.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anyone know if there's some way to switch to playstation buttons on the Epic version of Nioh?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Been working on Dream of the Demon with a Splitstaff build. Pretty fun, but I am ready to try something new.

Anyone have some suggestions? I am roughly level 330 and am down to farm if necessary. I have done a Sword build and Kusarigama build previously, and those were both cool.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

100+ points in magic, 5 copies of fireball, 5 copies of lightning bolts, 5 copies of geysers, 3 guardian spirit scrolls, 4 copies of lightsaber. Genbu for guardian spirit for 'anima - omnyo magic hit' so you can use a yokai ability every time you cast a spell. Weapon? What is weapon?

EDIT: For a real suggestion, I'd suggest high con heavy hammer man, use those big charge up smashes like lumber chop and rumbling earth, can be a fun change of pace from the high speed weapons

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Anytime I switch to a heavy weapon build I'm momentarily disappointed at how slowly I attack now, before I remember that things die in 2 hits now so it all evens out :black101:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I haven't messed with the axe at all yet, will definitely look into it.

At this point I am nearly finished with the DLC on DoD. I skipped most of the main game chapters after completing the first two areas. Should I go back through and finish everything up or go straight into DoW?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally I like to run through all the main missions each time, I like the sense of progression and revisiting all the bosses but if you can handle dream of the wise missions and you don't want to wait, go ahead and get started on it as soon as you like. Dream of the wise also starts dropping orange gear with new graces that can have neat new effects on them, like damage for each unique active skill you have used or restocking your magic/ninja tools as you deal damage - so you might want to go ahead and start collecting for that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Get to DotN ASAP imo, there is a ton of content with the underworld and the depths.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah push forward to the highest difficulty you can manage, and every once in a while go back to lower difficulties and curb stomp any levels that give skill points as rewards.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Just beat the main campaign, really enjoyed it overall - Team Ninja still seem unable to design a game that doesn't get exponentially easier towards the end but I'm kind of fond of it at this point and I expect the dlc to remedy that. Killed the last boss on my first attempt and I think that only happened with like one other boss lol

Should I go straight into the dlc on the base difficulty or go through the campaign on dream of the strong? Also do I have to pay attention to this weird stone of punishment thing?

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Give the DLC a shot and if you find it too difficult you can just jump over to NG+ and grab some levels and better gear.

I never got much use out of stones of penance, I just made a couple out of curiosity and then ignored them until NG+4. If you've got an accessory that you really like and haven't been able to find a replacement, then it might be worth doing just to keep it on par with the rest of your gear.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just beat the main campaign, really enjoyed it overall - Team Ninja still seem unable to design a game that doesn't get exponentially easier towards the end but I'm kind of fond of it at this point and I expect the dlc to remedy that. Killed the last boss on my first attempt and I think that only happened with like one other boss lol

Should I go straight into the dlc on the base difficulty or go through the campaign on dream of the strong? Also do I have to pay attention to this weird stone of punishment thing?

You can use stone of penance if you've got an accessory you really like and want to get a property that only appears on higher rarity (and 90% of them appear on purple already) or grace (special set bonus from later ng+) on it, if it doesn't have one it can get a random one. Otherwise, feel free to ignore it, it just increases the level of an accessory you have so it gets marginally higher% bonuses on it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

N o p e

https://i.imgur.com/f3Gps6U.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Legitimately surprised that active skill works on any yokai at all, even small ones with regular knockdowns like gaki