Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

quote:

Could always try a non-police enforcement mechanism. Create a temporary organization that works with minority communities to create enforcement units who are tasked with ensuring compliance in their own communities. Part of the problem of police is that they are the monolithic enforcement arm of the state and capital, of course just adding a new job to the tool used to oppress the masses is just going to cause problems. Another problem is they tend to police outside of their communities like an occupying force instead of being a community tool. You could solve both problems with a unit that recruits from the community with community support. They wouldn't be able to FORCE people at gunpoint like police do, but you can get a lot done just by being seen as a legitimate authority and being able to leverage the community to pressure people within it. Plus you can pay them for their time, utilizing some of the lost labor force due to closures and injecting money into the community. You could add community-wide incentives so if lockdown is obeyed everyone within that area gets a bonus payment, but only if lockdown is maintained, etc.

And that's just a random idea I had just now. There's plenty of room between SEND THE POLICE and ah gently caress it do whatever.

Yeah, definitely agreed that something like that would make a lot of sense (It would be hell to implement quickly, but that shouldn't necessarily be a blocker). I'm definitely not closed to ideas like that, I just have a bit of a hairtrigger response to posts like "just be like China / Aus" when the situation is different, and it's not just due to lack of political / societal will.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Phigs posted:

Could always try a non-police enforcement mechanism. Create a temporary organization that works with minority communities to create enforcement units who are tasked with ensuring compliance in their own communities. Part of the problem of police is that they are the monolithic enforcement arm of the state and capital, of course just adding a new job to the tool used to oppress the masses is just going to cause problems. Another problem is they tend to police outside of their communities like an occupying force instead of being a community tool. You could solve both problems with a unit that recruits from the community with community support. They wouldn't be able to FORCE people at gunpoint like police do, but you can get a lot done just by being seen as a legitimate authority and being able to leverage the community to pressure people within it. Plus you can pay them for their time, utilizing some of the lost labor force due to closures and injecting money into the community. You could add community-wide incentives so if lockdown is obeyed everyone within that area gets a bonus payment, but only if lockdown is maintained, etc.

And that's just a random idea I had just now. There's plenty of room between SEND THE POLICE and ah gently caress it do whatever.

Speaking as someone who has experienced life in Melbourne, which recently won the “most days in lockdown of any city anywhere” award, this post reads as hopelessly naive.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Don't really care tbh. The US is suffering from a lack of even trying solutions, not a surplus of naive solutions.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

StrangeThing posted:

Speaking as someone who has experienced life in Melbourne, which recently won the “most days in lockdown of any city anywhere” award, this post reads as hopelessly naive.
Speaking as someone who is a connoisseur of non sequitur shitposts: :discourse:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

I was reading a Guardian piece on the NZ health minister who was talking about how "we're not a police state" and a good outcome during lockdown requires community buy-in. If the populace stops obeying the rules, even the harshest police state response in the world isn't going to force them to, because they just don't have the numbers to do it. And I definitely think this is what's happened in Melbourne. People are badly fatigued, plus they're desensitised to the issue from watching the NSW numbers go up and up and up and having the government tell us it's not going to go back to normal like last time and we're just going to get used to it. (Plus a lot of people are at least partly vaxxed now - I know I'm less paranoid than I was last year despite far worse infection numbers.)

I've never once been stopped by police or even seen police while out and about during lockdown. I followed (and still follow) the rules because it's the right thing to do and I think most people do that, most of the time. I don't live in an overpoliced low socio-economic area, but even in Sunshine or Coburg I doubt the cops are managing to prevent even a fraction of the rulebreakers. It depends on community acceptance. If you lose that, you've lost the lockdown.

edit - though having said that I do think the primary reason we're hosed is because Delta is way more contagious and the minor rulebreaking we could get away with last year around e.g. masks and social distancing in workplaces no longer cuts it

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

lil poopendorfer posted:

if the provider deems the individual to be of sound mind and able to understand the risks of discontinuing treatment, you can't really keep them against their will (not includig the five states that allow medical holds for non-psych reasons, as you mentioned). Attempting to do so can open you to liability for false imprisonment. It still happens, something like one out of five 5150 holds in California are for non-psych causes, but the providers don't have much to back them up if they were to be sued

The dilemma is: if you deem someone unable to consent to the risks of leaving ama, how can they consent to the treatments that will be provided during their medical hold. Its a little more complex than that, but that's the medicolegal point in favor of letting them go even if it will jeopardize their life.

Local standard of care, hospital policy, and the providers own principals will shape the decision but generally if a patient of sound mind and their surrogate/POA wanna go, we let them go. Never had it happen on a vent but hell, if it's just for airway pprotection and not oxygenation/ventilatory support, why can't they decide to leave. Anyways Here's a recent case where the guy was on hfnc and left only to die the next day :sad:

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2021/08/dying-after-leaving-ama.html

very much so, you need to have a provider determine that someone is of unsound mind and needs a psych consult to determine capability. Typically though at low o2 sats this doesnt matter, you cannot accurately say that the patient is of sound mind because at those levels they are AMS, because the brain isnt getting enough o2. Sidenote we literally had a patient attempt this last night and lmfao satting at 60% on room air dude was gonna code by the time he got to the door. part of leaving AMA is also having the neccassary equipment to leave, and not literally coding as soon as the equipment is removed, someone on a vent can leave ama, if they have a vent to transfer to. Same for anything else. But you need a prescription for O@ to be able to leave on it, because it is actually a drug under the FDA, and requires a prescription. Things are definitely based on a states definition mainly based on the states interpretation of the patient being of sound mind, or the POA not being absolutely insane

Ive been up for 30 hours and im uh, 5 shots in after a poo poo night and one covid patient trying to leave ama and satting at 40% multiple times because he kept taking his airvo off, so if this is massively scattered or incoherent lol sorry. I fully expect the next two nights to suck poo poo to but gently caress. also dont drink 5 shots (might have been 6) of 94 proof on an empty stomach and 30 hours of being up

edit, anyone that empties a foley and leaves it open needs to be shot because jesus christ its literally pissing urine on the floor you loving hob gobblin piece of poo poo. Im talking to you the day shift sack of poo poo
Also my guy with the trach <3 you made my night, super nice and super apologetic when you knew we were getting poo poo on, why cant all our patients be this nice to us and treat us with respect

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 25, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

freebooter posted:

I've never once been stopped by police or even seen police while out and about during lockdown. I followed (and still follow) the rules because it's the right thing to do and I think most people do that, most of the time. I don't live in an overpoliced low socio-economic area, but even in Sunshine or Coburg I doubt the cops are managing to prevent even a fraction of the rulebreakers. It depends on community acceptance. If you lose that, you've lost the lockdown.

Yeah, I've mentioned this in the context of mask wearing before, but I think that compliance with any sort of restriction falls apart as soon as you hit a (fairly low) rate of non-compliance that makes anyone still following the rules think that they're suckers and everyone is getting away with ignoring restrictions.

If 1 in 100 people aren't following a restriction, then it's easy to write off anyone not following them as crazy. Once it hits 5 or 10 percent (I'm pulling these numbers out of nowhere, but certainly the threshold is WAY lower than 50 percent), then it's obviously not just crazy people - normal people are getting away with ignoring restrictions, aren't dying, and aren't being punished. Now it feels like you're suffering through restrictions while "everyone else" is just living life as normal. Which makes you join them, and then there's a quick phase shift to "anyone still self-isolating is a loser shut in", even if that's still officially the rules.

I'm not sure how much the threat of police enforcement influences that, even if the police aren't actually doing a lot of day to day enforcement. Here in Ontario the police said pretty much day 1 any non-business restriction short of a giant party was unenforceable, so it was abundantly clear that there was no possibility of punishment for not following the rules immediately. Maybe it's cynical, but I think most people's tolerance for following rules because it's the right thing to do isn't non-existent, but has a very short lifespan, and at least here, was pretty much exhausted by Fall / Winter of 2020.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

enki42 posted:

Maybe it's cynical, but I think most people's tolerance for following rules because it's the right thing to do isn't non-existent, but has a very short lifespan, and at least here, was pretty much exhausted by Fall / Winter of 2020.

Only a country that can enforce rules beyond this point can seemingly sustain long term zero covid. Unfortunately it really does seem like if you tried to implement that in the US it would turn into unvaxxed cops beating up any poc they find in the streets while whites do whatever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Having to use multiple illegal VPNs to access non-state internet would suck and that's not even getting into the social credit 1984 poo poo. China is not some utopian paradise, they have/had mobile execution vans for fucks sake

I've heard in some countries a number in a database somewhere determines whether someone can go to school or acquire transportation or even housing! Chilling nightmare stuff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Today my country officially reopened:toot: Restrictions considering masks and social distancing have been rescinded and the only restrictions that are left are about isolation if you're infected.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think I'm pretty secure in the thought that, if I had the chance to go back in time and choose to ride out the pandemic as either a citizen of China living under the CCP or to live it out as I have as an American over again, I'd definitely stay over here. That's a no-brainer for me.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

I think I'm pretty secure in the thought that, if I had the chance to go back in time and choose to ride out the pandemic as either a citizen of China living under the CCP or to live it out as I have as an American over again, I'd definitely stay over here. That's a no-brainer for me.

I'd switch in a heartbeat just to be a citizen of a country that isn't rotting

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

poll plane variant posted:

Which ones aren't rotting?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

poll plane variant posted:

Hey fair enough, that's your opinion and it's as valid as any. Do you plan to emigrate at some point and become a citizen?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

Hey fair enough, that's your opinion and it's as valid as any. Do you plan to emigrate at some point and become a citizen?

I don't have anything they're looking for and it's essentially an ethnostate so uh, not looking good

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LionArcher posted:

Just read the last dozen pages.

Bunch of dog whistling racist comments about China, as posters through up their hands pretending like we don’t live in a lovely police state here, but only about racist poo poo when police power is threatened instead of what would actual help people.

We could have stopped this. We still can too, but it involves actually aggressive measures, by an administration who has no interest in actually fixing it. and the liberals in D&D are mostly cowardly computer touchers who will defend Biden’s lovely lack of help.

This is the bad COVID thread, and I say that as someone who got dunked on in the good thread today for a dumb post about BMI (which is my own dumb fault and I was pissed and blowing off steam.)

There's idiots in both threads and good posts in both threads

but putting some forum war on a slightly different thread is dumb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

Which ones aren't rotting?

New Zealand is doing pretty good, but I hear it's pretty expensive now, in large part due to rich Westerners moving there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm always confused by the need of some people to come into a space and do a drive by shitpost to let us know how much we all suck, but :shrug: okay I guess

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
If there were a box with a button on it, and every time you push the button someone dies horribly of Covid, but you get a Covid free brunch, how many times would you push the button

for me personally, prob every Sunday

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

nexous posted:

If there were a box with a button on it, and every time you push the button someone dies horribly of Covid, but you get a Covid free brunch, how many times would you push the button

for me personally, prob every Sunday

Same, OP

open 'er up

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wow I didn't think I'd have to make a rule to keep out pro-covid posters, but here we are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely someone has said “brunch-covidian” by now, right?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I’m not pro Covid, I’m just pro brunch

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Surely someone has said “brunch-covidian” by now, right?

Yes, it's been in rotation in other places since at least last summer

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nexous posted:

I’m not pro Covid, I’m just pro brunch

Hmm, I don't like it, but technically correct. puts safety shield back down over probe button

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I dont really see anything wrong with going to brunch if you're fully vaccinated and willing to tolerate the risks. I'd probably go depending on the circumstances and whether it was outdoors.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

How are u posted:

I dont really see anything wrong with going to brunch if you're fully vaccinated and willing to tolerate the risks. I'd probably go depending on the circumstances and whether it was outdoors.

Don't go to fuckin brunch you dunce.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Don't go to fuckin brunch you dunce.
But what if you used brunch as part of a vaccination campaign? Still anti-brunch then?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Give new meaning to ordering "a shot and a beer"

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Giving out vaccines at brunch is not going to prevent the act of going to brunch being a loving stupid and risky idea in the first place- especially if these people spread covid before the vaccine has a chance to be effective.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Giving out vaccines at brunch is not going to prevent the act of going to brunch being a loving stupid and risky idea in the first place- especially if these people spread covid before the vaccine has a chance to be effective.

I thought the same thing when local sports teams started having vaccine events at games. Outdoors is obviously safer but still. I went through a drive thru shot clinic because I just didn't want to be exposed to any more people than I had to.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I thought the same thing when local sports teams started having vaccine events at games. Outdoors is obviously safer but still. I went through a drive thru shot clinic because I just didn't want to be exposed to any more people than I had to.

You were correct. It's better than no vaccine, but it is still incredibly loving stupid to do when the alternative, not doing something to significantly increase risk of spread in the first place, exists.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

You were correct. It's better than no vaccine, but it is still incredibly loving stupid to do when the alternative, not doing something to significantly increase risk of spread in the first place, exists.
To be clear though, there's nothing specifically about having breakfast food around 11AM along with champagne mixed with orange juice that you have a problem with here, right? It's the lack of social distancing? Because brunch alone is still a brunch.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

How are u posted:

I'd consider nearly 700k dead americans to be "wrong"
Like that number is still blowing my mind holy poo poo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Booourns posted:

I'd consider nearly 700k dead americans to be "wrong"
Like that number is still blowing my mind holy poo poo

even if you assume India is lying and triple it's numbers it's still below the US in per capita deaths

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Epinephrine posted:

To be clear though, there's nothing specifically about having breakfast food around 11AM along with champagne mixed with orange juice that you have a problem with here, right? It's the lack of social distancing? Because brunch alone is still a brunch.

Going out for a meal yes. Make brunch at home and save yourself money

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If you are fully vaccinated and otherwise at no risk, then by all means, resume your previous lifestyle, including brunch, gym, conferences, sports events, etc.

I know there are people who still advocate for not leaving one's house, but they are (fortunately) a very tiny minority.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
73% of the US is overweight and therefore at high risk of Covid

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Going out for a meal yes. Make brunch at home and save yourself money

Cooking at home is great, a useful skill, saves a ton of money, and can be a lot healthier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Slow News Day posted:

If you are fully vaccinated and otherwise at no risk, then by all means, resume your previous lifestyle, including brunch, gym, conferences, sports events, etc.

I know there are people who still advocate for not leaving one's house, but they are (fortunately) a very tiny minority.

"gently caress and suck at Denny's" as policy gets crazier and crazier the more we see cognitive deficits in mild cases