Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hell yeah destiny 2 on the go CHECK

It works really well on the aya neo.

It’s too bad I just smashed the screen on mine… don’t game while drunk and drop the drat thing….

The break isn’t that bad but I can’t imagine how a fix would even work without sending it back and paying a million dollars for shipping to China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hell yeah destiny 2 on the go CHECK

You could enjoy it right now with Stadia... on your phone...

Christ, please don't try that.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PowerBeard posted:

You could enjoy it right now with Stadia... on your phone...

Christ, please don't try that.

Or do try it long enough to reinforce your decision to order a Steam Deck.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Just got a notice that my AYA NEO shipped. Figures that after waiting years for someone like Valve or Microsoft to announce one of these I end up getting one just a couple months too early and now I’m going to wind up with 2 of these silly things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Same I have a win3 that delivered like a month before the steam deck was announced.

Good news is other than storage space the steam deck addresses a lot of my complaints about the win.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think I'm the only person stupid enough to be excited to use the Steam Deck as an oversized controller when I'm at home playing poo poo on my Desktop. It's going to be like the Wii U but without any of the functionality of the touch screen. lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

I think I'm the only person stupid enough to be excited to use the Steam Deck as an oversized controller when I'm at home playing poo poo on my Desktop. It's going to be like the Wii U but without any of the functionality of the touch screen. lol

Use it however you want. Why feel stupid when they specifically made that an option

E: I just want to play suikoden 2 on the go

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 25, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm looking forward to using mine for switch emulation. I've got one already but I don't get to use it lol

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

tithin posted:

I'm looking forward to using mine for switch emulation. I've got one already but I don't get to use it lol

Is there any good emulation for recent consoles though, because all I've seem is really rough versions that struggle to run stuff like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

I personally cannot wait to play XCOM 2 on the go, where it's not the weird Switch version.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

PowerBeard posted:

Is there any good emulation for recent consoles though, because all I've seem is really rough versions that struggle to run stuff like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

I personally cannot wait to play XCOM 2 on the go, where it's not the weird Switch version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPNa-2WDvQk&t=138s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZMBHrYJOQ&t=862s

switch emulation on pc at the moment is very good for a shitton of games with yuzu https://yuzu-emu.org/game/.

For games that run on WiiU like botw cemu is perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZagUHzcPe10

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 25, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like how the one part I randomly clicked to in the Odyssey video showed a CTD. Also, the Steam Deck is going to have weaker hardware than the hardware used to record those videos, so I wouldn't bet on Yuzu being super smooth all the time. PS2/GC/Wii emulation is the most advanced emulation I'd expect to work flawlessly, with PS3/Wii U/Switch being more of a mixed bag. If you want more consistent recent console emulation, then you should get one of the other handheld PCs out there that use laptop CPUs instead.

edit: I was referring to 2:20, but that seems to be some other kind of weird error and not a crash, maybe? I assumed it was and they used editing to keep the video moving smoothly.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 25, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
[wathcing mario get digitally obliterated as a desktop cpu throttles the entire emulator] cant wait to play this on steam dekc

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

First memories of Mario 64 was using Ultra HLE through a jank rear end Glide wrapper bring it on.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PS2 emulation requires a nonzero amount of futzing with menus to get things to work right, so you'll have to engage with the steamdeck as a desktop.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

emulation's always touch and go on new hardware; stuff like retroarch has streamlined the process a lot but there's always going to be a lot of futzing around for optimal performance unless something is designed specifically for emulation (in which case there's a chance the manufacturer has the correct settings preloaded)

all of that is to say it's not necessarily a shortcoming on the steam deck so much as it is a product of it being a more general use device

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nah I mean even in an optimal use case you have to enable/disable some settings depending on the game you're running to get it to run properly, it's just not in a completely turn-key place yet (as opposed to dolphin, or earlier systems). It's not a failing of the steam deck, but it does mean navigating pcsx2's menus using the touchpads, which will probably be fine, but also annoying.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Futzing about with emulator settings is something I'm very well used to. I'm actually looking forward to using the Steam Deck as an inexpensive handheld PS2 emulator. It'll be really nice if it can do more advanced consoles too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

tithin posted:

That's not going to happen bud.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you know what would play switch games for less than the cost of a steam deck?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean depending on the game not much better

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean depending on the game not much better

which switch games work best on your steam deck, in your experience?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

which switch games work best on your steam deck, in your experience?

That was a joke about the switches lovely performance.

So you don’t need to get defensive or you can get even more defensive I guess

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

It’s definitely not significantly less.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That was a joke about the switches lovely performance.

Also this lol.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The steam deck will not play switch games better than the switch lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Who said it would

Is this goon makes up poster to get mad at

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
scroll up lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The steam deck will not play switch games better than the switch lol

The Witcher 3 runs better on my aya neo than it does on my switch

:shrug:

It’s obviously not going to emulate the switch games better but anything cross platform will run better yes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
they said switch games

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

they said switch games

It is on the switch yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Witcher 3 is a switch game. And one that runs pretty well

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

MarcusSA posted:

It is on the switch yes.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s obviously not going to emulate the switch games better

pretendning not to understand the thing u just understood ftw lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would really not hold my breath on running Switch games well on the Steam Deck. given the power I've needed on my laptop to run BotW on cemu, I don't know if I'd even try that although I know people will try

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
That's ok BotW runs bad on the switch too

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Intentional obtuseness aside, for the handful of 2D indies that are Switch exclusive for whatever reason (of which I can't think of any right now) they might be able to emulate on a Deck. Nintendo first party titles probably not so much. Also, I wouldn't really want to use a Deck for titles that play well on a Switch--I'd rather just play them on the Switch.

However, ten years from now when Nintendo has moved on to its next non-backwards-compatible console I'd be totally happy emulating my Switch library on a Deck successor. That's definitely my long game for dealing with my Switch backlog.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dunno why you’d wanna emulate switch games anyway tbh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i will eat my own head if the steam deck can run switch games even halfway acceptably

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The aya neo has decent performance on certain switch games, the deck is more powerful so I'd think you'll be able to emulate at least some games with acceptable framerates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KJBiFMI8_g

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine buying this thing to play anything but Doom mods in bed just lmao

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Andrast posted:

i will eat my own head if the steam deck can run switch games even halfway acceptably

Samopsa posted:

The aya neo has decent performance on certain switch games, the deck is more powerful so I'd think you'll be able to emulate at least some games with acceptable framerates

Someone's going to eat their own head and I'm here to see it streamed live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Someone's going to eat their own head and I'm here to see it streamed live.

it's not like i ever use it anyway