Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, thanks. So they were talking about Cinemachine.

Yeah, that package can be hard to work with at times, but the alternatives are basically that or making the whole thing yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

You see all those drat siren lights? You know what that means? Usually when you see those, it's there to save your life!

This is that, this is going to save your life.

:hmmwrong:

Life Saving Tip: The site Fanatical, usually filled with passable garbage anime titty games in cheap bundles, has something actually good for once, Killer Bundle 19 and you should not sleep on a little gem of a mobile to PC port of a game that is in it.

The Battle Polytopia: Moonrise - Deluxe is what I'm talking about here. It's a simplified 4x game, you know like Civ, but better because me and your mom can get into this one because it much more simple.

But don't worry it that can be quite deep apparently, if you want it to be, I mean, look at all this meta sperg poo poo.

Wiki
Resources
Hits and Tips
Some Guide

See, deep meta stuff for the competitive people, deep... :science:

But if you're like me who likes simple, likes small bite sized games (10 to 60 minutes depending on mode/players/map size), and just wants to chill with AI bros (who won't judge) when you have a bit of free time, you can safely ignore all that above.

I'm enjoying this probably way more then I should, reminds me a lot of Master of Magic sorta, back to simpler times. It got me hooked in a way to where I'm just trying to optimize my turn count, and for whatever reason that's enough for me to keep playing more and more game against AI trying different strats and classes and seeing what works better. I can tell I'm going to get way more time/value out of this for current asking price anyway.

Okay that's it's, I'm done. I've wasted enough of my time trying to sell you on something I'm seeing no penny of, it's already been like 20 minutes of me writing this, time I could be playing Polytopia instead. So yeah, heads up on this one game, do your own research if you are semi-interested in it now, from this.

I only brought it up because it's pretty cheap right now to get, cheapest its been in fact, and the money you save now will be better spent on your medical bills later (I asked God, yup so save up!), that will save your life.

Or maybe you were like me, initially went hard pass/not good enough when you saw the bundle because you already had like 80% of the crap in it, I dunno. Anyway here's Jay from Cubold Gaming! for a video of it. (no idea who this is... first Quack result for a video, I swear.)

Okay, done done.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Also it has Tacoma, which is pretty great.

Is Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 a good one or a poo poo one? I can't keep all the sniper games straight. I want to just sneak around an open area and click on heads, Sniper Elite 3 was fun but kind of linear.
Is SGW 3 also super linear or like one of those more open worldish ones? Even if the "open world" is completely empty besides the current mission, I'm talking about room to move around in terms of circling an area, not that I want to be able to just go in random directions and find interesting things.

edit: or is it just a buggy mess wtf

zachol fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 26, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm gonna fuckin anti-vote on Tacoma being good.

It presents itself as half-walking simulator half-detective story where you uncover the truth about what happened to an abandoned space station. Except, spoilers, when you get to the end it turns out that you (or rather the player character) already knew what was happening all along as you where a major force orchestrating it all! And there's no detective parts at all, it's all just linear walking and listening to things being narrated at you.

There are real "I wonder what happened here?" games out there that are totally worth your time (Obra Dinn cough cough), Tacoma is not one of them. Go play Dear Esther instead so at least you get a bit of cultural history or something, I dunno.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I personally havent found a Fanatical bundle worth buying for quite awhile.
Most usually have 1-2 good games and the rest are junk they are just trying to get rid of.
I used to buy bundles and pass most of it away at Steam gifts, but now just browse and buy elsewhere.

Fanatical is where pixel graphic games go to die.

To be fair though for that bundle, I already have Fell Seal (which people should play)have some interest in Polytopia and have already gotten Tacoma free from Humble but have never even installed it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

It presents itself as half-walking simulator half-detective story where you uncover the truth about what happened to an abandoned space station. Except, spoilers, when you get to the end it turns out that you (or rather the player character) already knew what was happening all along as you where a major force orchestrating it all! And there's no detective parts at all, it's all just linear walking and listening to things being narrated at you.

There are real "I wonder what happened here?" games out there that are totally worth your time (Obra Dinn cough cough), Tacoma is not one of them. Go play Dear Esther instead so at least you get a bit of cultural history or something, I dunno.

Tacoma is a nice, short little sci-fi whodunit sort of, but there's really nothing beyond the surface level. I know Gone Home got a ton of praise for everything but as a follow-up it just lacked anything to really justify the price, especially since so many other great 'walking simulators' had come out since then and got creative with the genre.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I bought this on a whim from this thread and it's the scariest game I've ever played and really loving hard. I feel like I need cheat codes to progress.

"um, you should talk to a therapist"
"You should take the drugs your psychiatrist gives you"
"Having your heart ripped out sucks, I'll let you know what to do when I figure it out myself"
:smith:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Chinese propaganda news
China thinks their men will be less gay if they cant play gay video games.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3150012/chinas-video-game-companies-vow-boycott-overseas-platforms-and-close

quote:

China’s state-backed gaming industry association and 213 video gaming companies, including Tencent Holdings and NetEase, issued a self-regulation pact on Thursday, pledging to follow Beijing’s mandate to fight video game addiction by filtering unhealthy content and boycotting overseas platforms.

The document asserts companies commitments to ban various types of content recently targeted by authorities, including “effeminate men”, money worship and “gay love”. Content deemed “politically harmful” or “historically nihilistic” will also be boycotted. The same goes for games with mechanics considered to be only designed to generate profit or traffic.
The companies said that they will “resolutely boycott circumventing regulatory procedures and using overseas gaming platforms to provide services to domestic users”. If strictly enforced, the measures would plug a hole in a legal grey area that many developers have used to reach Chinese gamers from overseas because of the huge hurdles to getting titles approved for sale in the country.

quote:

The new rule limits gaming time for players under the age of 18 to 8pm to 9pm on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays.

"The same goes for games with mechanics considered to be only designed to generate profit or traffic."
This is like 99% of the games from China

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

The new rule limits gaming time for players under the age of 18 to 8pm to 9pm on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays.

How would they even enforce this. I know it's China but... :confused:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it would be pretty easy for gaming cafes at least.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Avalerion posted:

How would they even enforce this. I know it's China but... :confused:

In a number of Asian countries, mainly China and South Korea, online accounts (for games and otherwise) are linked to your national ID number. :eng101:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

It does say self regulating pact, and the article implies that its not really being enforced, but it can be used against you at any time they want.
Like American loitering laws, which are set up in a way that if you are on a public street and arent specifically traveling to a destination, then you are basically loitering.
Laws that give cops an advantage to be used at any time are always fun.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, Deathloop is such a weird frigging game. It's awesome, and I've been enjoying the heck out of it, but it feels like the relative ease of combat sabotages what's great about the map design. Almost every level has loads of neat shortcuts and ways to bypass the hard bits of each visionary, but with maybe the exception of Fia I find that there's no incentive to actually figure out the sequence breaks, because once you get a few abilities and guns it only takes a minute or two to blast through the entire area.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
can someone recommend me something that is:

- a JRPG or has JRPG influences
- but is pretty modern in design
- can run on a toaster laptop (this is important, for reference i think this laptop can just barely run Persona 4 or Magic Arena)
- length is not super important but longer is better
- is super good story

basically uh... like... YIIK But Good, or like, something you might say is "the A Short Hike of JRPGs" (in the sense that A Short Hike is really chill but has lots going on)

nothing super graphical will run on this laptop (so Bravely Default 2 is right out)

help me goons

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, Deathloop is such a weird frigging game. It's awesome, and I've been enjoying the heck out of it, but it feels like the relative ease of combat sabotages what's great about the map design. Almost every level has loads of neat shortcuts and ways to bypass the hard bits of each visionary, but with maybe the exception of Fia I find that there's no incentive to actually figure out the sequence breaks, because once you get a few abilities and guns it only takes a minute or two to blast through the entire area.
I loved the game and didn't mind the low difficulty, but it did feel like they removed a lot of stakes late in the development process and didn't tidy the leftover frayed edges.

There are (sometimes involved) mini side-missions all over the place that give single trinkets when enemies will drop 4 or 5 of the same type of trinket anyway, the arsenal lead weapons aren't really better than anything else you can get by the same point, and the whole lead for Alexis forcing you to locate him via stealth when there's no reason to ever kill him that way, just to unlock the final loop lead all make more sense if the game were more difficult and trinkets/upgrades were harder to come by.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

OgNar posted:

Chinese propaganda news
China thinks their men will be less gay if they cant play gay video games.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3150012/chinas-video-game-companies-vow-boycott-overseas-platforms-and-close

"The same goes for games with mechanics considered to be only designed to generate profit or traffic."
This is like 99% of the games from China

"Historically Nihilistic" is a killer band name waiting to happen

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

- can run on a toaster laptop (this is important, for reference i think this laptop can just barely run Persona 4 or Magic Arena)
- is super good story

basically uh... like... YIIK But Good, or like, something you might say is "the A Short Hike of JRPGs" (in the sense that A Short Hike is really chill but has lots going on)

nothing super graphical will run on this laptop (so Bravely Default 2 is right out)

help me goons

Trails in the Sky?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I just picked up that bundle, and I already own Tacoma, so YOU, lucky goon, YOU have just won a FREE copy of TACOMA!!!!!!

IN0JK-4TIYM-GNJ7P

if you want you can PM me a cheap game or something :kiddo: but you don't have to

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Tamba posted:

Trails in the Sky?

Trails in the Sky is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, but I already own it! :) but also, something just a smidge more "modern" than that

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would say undertale but you probably know about that already. How about something like Omori or LISA?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the new Deltarune chapter is out as well

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

I would say undertale but you probably know about that already. How about something like Omori or LISA?

Never heard of OMORI and it looks right up my alley tyvm

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Simone Magus posted:

- is super good story

help me goons

everhood is great. i would think it could run on a toaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iknL_MyBr_8

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Foul Fowl posted:

oh drat that looks great too

thank you steam thread for divesting me of my moneys haha :haw:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Simone Magus posted:

- is super good story

help me goons

I’ll recommend Dark Scavenger

It’s sort of like “What if MacGuyver was a murderhobo?” The game is kind of a cross between point and click adventure and RPG. There’s no level ups or stat increases - instead, every room has a couple items to find which your weird tinkerer friends can turn into a weapon, item, or ally. Combat is about using you ever-increasing collection of weaponized junk to put together good combos. Out of combat you can also use items in the point and click segments. They have limited durability, but you’re always getting new items faster than you can use them up so it’s more about keeping things varied and not falling into a rut than any resource management.

The writing is really good, the game is hilarious and has a great sense of humor. It’s pretty short, you can probably finish a playthrough in 5 or 6 hours, but it’s decently repayable and I can confirm it’ll run on an extremely weak computer.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Skatebird is... not very good. I realize it's a tiny team that raised maybe around 70-80K through crowdsourcing so it never had a huge budget or anything, but it's disappointing that the game has worse controls than the classics it's trying so hard to emulate.

Feels like it should've been on Steam Early Access instead of being released simultaneously across multiple platforms, because it's just not ready. The dev is already saying they're gonna throw out default Unity camera system and build a new one from scratch.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting or even needing super-tight dialed in Tony Hawk controls but gently caress man, it just feels like a janky floaty tech demo with a terrible camera and blurry haze on everything. Doesn't even feel on par to PS2/Xbox era TH clone controls.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

I love walking sims and disliked Tacoma. Dealing with audio logs for everything was super tedious and there was very little environmental exploration.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Simone Magus posted:

oh drat that looks great too

thank you steam thread for divesting me of my moneys haha :haw:

it's really good. i've never played undertale but it's clearly cribbing a lot from it but i really loved the story and the gameplay - i played it on the highest difficulty and i think that's the best way to enjoy it. makes the battles very tense and fun.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Foul Fowl posted:

Everhood's my game of the year this year, came out of nowhere and the old but weirdly-new gameplay grabbed me.

The end boss of the demo (early game spoilers for anyone that doesn't know what Everhood is about) is worth checking out for anyone who hasn't seen it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouatkDccf4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I bought this on a whim from this thread and it's the scariest game I've ever played and really loving hard. I feel like I need cheat codes to progress.

"um, you should talk to a therapist"
"You should take the drugs your psychiatrist gives you"
"Having your heart ripped out sucks, I'll let you know what to do when I figure it out myself"
:smith:

Relax a bit. You don't need to solve people's problems. Like the name of the game says - kind words. 'Hey, I'm sorry, that sucks. Have you tried X thing? Anyway, be safe.' It's not somewhere people go for real answers, it's just a place to get a bit of kindness back. Don't worry so much.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Snake Maze posted:

I’ll recommend Dark Scavenger

It’s sort of like “What if MacGuyver was a murderhobo?” The game is kind of a cross between point and click adventure and RPG. There’s no level ups or stat increases - instead, every room has a couple items to find which your weird tinkerer friends can turn into a weapon, item, or ally. Combat is about using you ever-increasing collection of weaponized junk to put together good combos. Out of combat you can also use items in the point and click segments. They have limited durability, but you’re always getting new items faster than you can use them up so it’s more about keeping things varied and not falling into a rut than any resource management.

The writing is really good, the game is hilarious and has a great sense of humor. It’s pretty short, you can probably finish a playthrough in 5 or 6 hours, but it’s decently repayable and I can confirm it’ll run on an extremely weak computer.

ohhhh heck yeah

i'm always amazed whenever i'm reminded that like 50 billion good indie games come out these days and even people like me who try to keep up with stuff always miss dozens of the best ones

also reminder i posted a code for Tacoma if anyone wants it and hasn't grabbed it yet

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Fallom posted:

I love walking sims and disliked Tacoma. Dealing with audio logs for everything was super tedious and there was very little environmental exploration.

It may be unintentional, but I think they made a walking sim for people who don't normally play walking sims.

I'm not big on puzzles and exploration, and rarely go for walking sims. I tried Tacoma only because I'd just finished an Asimov reading binge. Ended up really enjoying it. Finding each story segment was straight forward, and it was a novel presentation that stayed interesting for its short duration. It was a nice twist on the rogue AI trope too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I loved Tacoma.
It was the small bits that amazed me. For example, the data pads they have, you can see fingerprint traces on the BACK of them, where they would be grasped by the owner.
That detail I love in games.
I wish there was a follow up.

Would recommend Firewatch if you like walking sims with min puzzles and such.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

zachol posted:

Is Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 a good one or a poo poo one? I can't keep all the sniper games straight. I want to just sneak around an open area and click on heads, Sniper Elite 3 was fun but kind of linear.
Is SGW 3 also super linear or like one of those more open worldish ones? Even if the "open world" is completely empty besides the current mission, I'm talking about room to move around in terms of circling an area, not that I want to be able to just go in random directions and find interesting things.

SGW3 will probably do what you want, if that's the case; it's an open world game through and through. I spent quite a bit of time with it, and felt like I got my money's worth out of it (granted, I think I bought it on sale for $10-15). Not a AAA-game by any means, but decent stealth, decent shooting.

I wouldn't call it a buggy mess, but it was not without its bugs. Weird, occasional things like animation glitches...but also a more common issue specifically with collision detection, where you'd be unable to crawl/crouch over very small objects. It occasionally made sneaking around a pain in the rear end, since you'll suddenly have to stand up or "jump" over a pebble to clear it. Not great when guards are nearby.

For your reference, if SGW3 follows in the footsteps of Far Cry, the spin-off sequels--Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 1 & 2--are much more like the recent Hitman games: Large (sometimes massive) self-contained levels, bounties, challenges, multiple objectives, replayability, etc.

It's only with Contracts 2 that the sniping really feels like sniping, however, since they finally figured out how to get 1km+ shots into the levels. Ghost Warrior 3 and Contracts 1 ranges were usually in the 250-350m range, if that matters to you (I remember having to bend over backwards to find a spot in SGW3 where I could actually perform a 500m+ shot).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

zachol posted:

Also it has Tacoma, which is pretty great.

I didn't see anyone answer this, but I'm enjoying it as a budget Far Cry with a sniping focus. You need to account for wind, distance, and your elevation compared to your target (usually above them). There are a bunch of bases and stuff to attack from afar (or close-up if you want to). The areas are obviously designed around you being a sniper, so there are plenty of locations to get a good view of (most of) a base. You have a drone that can zoom around and tag enemies, and can carry a non-sniper rifle and a sidearm in addition to the sniper rifle (which you always have equipped, though you can get different ones as you progress). There seems to be a decent amount of weapon variety and customization (though I don't know how necessary any of it is). I'm still in the first area, though, and the rest of the map apparently unlocks after the first chapter.

The bullet-cam is janky and silly-looking, though. Your character is just standing up with his rifle in hipfire position, and enemy hit reactions seem to be kinda random (like, how their body reacts after they get shot, lethally). Sometimes missions will require you to retrieve something or talk to someone, so you will need to go indoors and get up close with people but the majority of your time will be spent clicking on heads (or slightly above and to the side of heads, as the case may be) or getting to a place to do so efficiently.

If you like the Far Cry (2 is the best) and Sniper Elite (2 is the worst) games, it's a decent "get it on sale" game. I know that's not a great endorsement, but it sounds like you specifically (forums user zachol) would enjoy it.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 26, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
that bundle also has Iconoclasts (which i never played but which i am given to understand is hecking rad) and Meaningless Vague Title: an FFT Clone (just kidding, the name is the much more sensible Fell Arbiter ) which looks v good as well

that's a whole lot of game for 5bux for sure

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Simone Magus posted:

- is super good story

help me goons

https://store.steampowered.com/app/706560/Jimmy_and_the_Pulsating_Mass/
Was also in the first itch.io bundle, a great Earthbound-like with a lot of modern features and some horror elements that are really well done. Challenging on normal mode but thankfully you can switch to Easy anytime. The ending might make you cry or piss you off, it's well done.

Fell Arbiter's combat system is quite good, but the story is so boring... Maybe one day I'll finish it.

tripwood fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 26, 2021

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Another Tacoma liker here. I loved exploring the station and seeing the story unfold. Interesting place for me to crawl/fly/walk through is enough for me to carry the game. Kinda random but I loved that they used real sign language as AR input in the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tacoma was good. I don't think it was nearly as impactful as Gone Home, but as a complete product it was definitely an improvement in structure and storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why do people talk about Gone Home so much, outa curiosity? Dear Esther preceded it, got coverage, and imo seems to be the progenitor of the modern genre, but people always bring up Gone Home to praise/criticize.