Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Needs mad king’s crucifix to complete the look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sure would be a shame if someone betrayed him.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Phobophilia posted:

BTW, I need tips for Demon Prince, phase 2. I feel like I'm so close to beating him SL20 +2 weapons. However, there is one move that keeps Getting Me. That move where he leaps into the air and slightly backwards, and just loving chaos dunks me into the own zone. I just can't work out the roll timing, and I don't know how to space it. Like can I run in one direction and avoid it? Should I lock on so I have a better view of when he approaches the ground? And is there a good tell for when he starts to do that move? I think he starts flapping his wings and lifting himself off the ground when he initiates that attack, but I can't be sure.

If it's the move I'm thinking of, sprint towards him and roll in the same direction when he's about the ground. He'll overshoot you and you'll be free to jam a sword up his arse. This works for a lot of high leap->dive attacks

If it's not the move I'm think of, I apologise for your recent splattery death.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Kind of feels like i admitted defeat in a sense, but I downloaded Wex Dust and I've been really enjoying being able pvp almost any time i feel like. Been trying a lot of weapons on a dex centric character i got to SL50 and I've found that I've learned the most from using some basic weapons to practice spacing. Red-Hilted Halberd is a favorite of mine, and i have a feint i like to do where i pull out whatever parry tool i'm rocking and intentionally wiff some parries out of range, and then pull out my offhand straight sword to get some slashing spam on them.

I've ran into a few ganks but I've just been messing around as a mount maker and I've managed to eek out wins in 3v1s. Feels great to slip out after slapping down a phantom while the host struggles against a pve mob.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

https://twitter.com/yeetomato/status/1442226133030907905?s=20

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I want to buy this

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Vintersorg posted:

I jumped back into this after finally beating DS1 when I gave up in the catacombs cause skeleton dogs hosed me up. I beat DS3 on ps4 so I’m on my PC now and … holy gently caress I don’t remember this being so hard. Like I’m not fresh - I did a dex uchi build in ds1 but I’m getting so rocked. All my muscle memory is thrown right out the window.

Also, I did some Ultrawide screen hex edit but I always have to switch from windowed to full screen when I start the game. Plus the ui obviously doesn’t scale. It’s a shame they never patched it in while ds1:remastered supports it beautifully and apparently ds2:scholar does too.

Vintersorg posted:

God I love this loving game.

Also the loving Irithyll Dungeon jump scares still got my heart racing. I can't wait to get a PS5 and see if Tower of Latria still fucks me up.

Rad to see another DS3 enjoyer running the ultrawide, its still crazy to me that the only FROM game on PC that has the native option for 21:9 is DSR. Even Sekiro has to be modded.

But uhhhh if you are playing online at all, that hex edit will very likely get you softbanned eventually, just FYI.

You can use a mod called Souls Unsqueezed instead, get it at this page.
Only use the previous 0.4.0 version; the 0.5.0 will likely also get you softbanned eventually too. Do a manual install and turn off auto-updates. v0.4.0 is perfectly safe, I've used it for over a year, and is even compatible with Honest Merchant and Wex Dust.

For anti-cheat, it was not compatible with Watchdog, but was with Pyre Protecc - although both of those are now defunct. I haven't been able to get the new Blue Sentinels anti-cheat working yet, but I'm pretty sure its because of a memory leak issue I have with Blue Sentinels and not incompatibility with Unsqueezed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

black knight sword
:goonsay:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The black knight sword is a greatsword

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Half the "greatswords" are ultra-weapons the game isn't very consistent.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
sticking to the original Sword, Large Sword, Very Large Sword system would have avoided this needless confusion

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Looking for advice on how to beat Gael with an INT build.

Magic is terrible against Gael, and I have very litte invested in STR or DEX. My available weapons are a fully upgraded Fire broadsword, Raw longsword and Crystal dark sword. The fire sword give most damage per swipe, but it feels like plinking.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Magic is perfectly viable against Gael, you just gotta shoot him during his recovery animations. Aka you need to play the same fundamental game as every other build.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Looking for advice on how to beat Gael with an INT build.

Magic is terrible against Gael, and I have very litte invested in STR or DEX. My available weapons are a fully upgraded Fire broadsword, Raw longsword and Crystal dark sword. The fire sword give most damage per swipe, but it feels like plinking.

Cheese with storyteller staff poison.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oops. Some cheater just completely borked the save of a relatively new character I've been working on for PVP. Luckily I didn't lose too terribly much in restarting it.

Use Blue Sentinels mod, people, for your protection.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Malleum posted:

sticking to the original Sword, Large Sword, Very Large Sword Keel Smasher system would have avoided this needless confusion

:colbert:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zesty posted:

Oops. Some cheater just completely borked the save of a relatively new character I've been working on for PVP. Luckily I didn't lose too terribly much in restarting it.

Use Blue Sentinels mod, people, for your protection.

Was his name Malcolm Reynolds? gently caress that guy with a flaming, AIDS smeared wire brush

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What did they do?

Also Ringed City is honestly one of the hardest areas I’ve ever played in Souls. What a ball busting brutal journey. I’m finally at the final boss but CHRIST.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it was a genuine moment of triumph when I finally made it to the end. I really feel like I’ve been to hell and back

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

codo27 posted:

Was his name Malcolm Reynolds? gently caress that guy with a flaming, AIDS smeared wire brush

uhh, kay? Don't wish aids on people. It's a game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vintersorg posted:

What did they do?

He's a DS3 hacker who spends all day abusing DS3's terrible hack detection to break people's characters and soft ban their steam accounts.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

codo27 posted:

Jesus. Yeah what he does sucks obviously, but there is always going to be a few people like him. But don't post like this, even here on the forums - these are exactly the kinds of reactions that they look for.

He's got some flimsy argument that he only does it to highlight how piss poor the "anti-cheat" and online support are, but though I doubt the motivations, he also ain't wrong.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's a DS3 hacker who spends all day abusing DS3's terrible hack detection to break people's characters and soft ban their steam accounts.

Soft ban their steam accounts? That seems ultra hosed and weird that no one has done anything to fix that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao somehow I survived a dried finger session in crucifixion woods at SL30, I must have killed like 5 watchdogs/dark spirits before I managed to reset back at the bonfire

the real mvp was the giant crab I failed to kill. I thought I was dead when it buried itself, healed, and came after me again. But it turns out the invaders trying to hide underneath its bulk were simply going to be victims of it when the crab blindly swiped at me. Giant crabs believe in friendly fire.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Mesadoram posted:

Soft ban their steam accounts? That seems ultra hosed and weird that no one has done anything to fix that.

This doesn't happen... anymore, that is. For literally years hackers could inject invalid items onto your character that would trip the laughable anticheat, getting you softbanned to the cheater server.

They didn't fix it really, just disabled item injection from banning.

It is still insane to me how a game as celebrated as the Souls series, even though multiplayer is not the focus, has so little support.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I did it. SL1 Run complete.

https://imgur.com/a/Ie1Q03i

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grats, now do a SL802 run!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Zesty posted:

I did it. SL1 Run complete.

https://imgur.com/a/Ie1Q03i

good job, skeleton!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Boss moveset mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yh5Ft_U5rE looks pretty neat

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

This owns

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is putting a few points into vigor to be able to fast roll worth doing? I'm pure dex crow quills

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

StashAugustine posted:

Is putting a few points into vigor to be able to fast roll worth doing? I'm pure dex crow quills

Get vigor until you’re not fat rolling basically. The good roll is below 70% in this game, so you probably shouldn’t be hitting that on pure dex unless you’re wearing full heavy armor too. There’s a slight variation for below 30% but it’s not worth cutting that hard most of the time.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
iirc 'fast roll' below 30% in DS3 has the exact same amount of iframes as medium roll, but you just move a further distance.

Up to you if that is worth it or not. It kinda can be, if you get used to it, and fun for some runs. But it you are just playing pve I'd say no, it doesnt convey anything like the same amount of benefit like DS1, imo. And if you are used to medium roll in fact it can mess with you, for example in timing/judging distance for backstabs.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 10, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
for most builds the value of hitting fast roll is really minimal yeah. pure dex build I would never do that

also

StashAugustine posted:

I'm assuming you know this but just in case, vitality is the equip weight stat, not vigor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I get then mixed up in names. I've got 40 dex and 30 health/stamina but idk what stats to pump up from there

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Putting points into HP and stam after 30 should be fine. Probably until 60? maybe 40.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I get then mixed up in names. I've got 40 dex and 30 health/stamina but idk what stats to pump up from there
Anything you want, really. You could pump more dex for a little bit more damage, though the returns won't be great. Vit can certainly be nice for more armor options or being able to equip multiple weapons at once.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

SHISHKABOB posted:

Putting points into HP and stam after 30 should be fine. Probably until 60? maybe 40.

40 really the softcap - 35 for Vig/End if you are wearing prisoner's chain so that they both hit 40.

If you gotta put more into either past 40, then do more Vig. End ain't worth it.

If you are hitting 40/40 on those already and have 40 Dex and want to keep leveling, put more into Dex I'd say. Diminishing returns for any of those past this point, but you'll at least get some more damage output with more Dex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just recently learnt that Lothric War Banner makes Friede go apeshit. It's not so much a deliberately programmed agro mechanic, but the AoE around the LWB gets registered by the Friede AI as a threat and makes her spam quicksteps. And in phase 3, when she goes invisible she will instantly initiate the 3rd Black Serpent attack.

That made the fight significantly harder than it should have been.