Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chiasaur11 posted:

Logical followup question: Which Gundam leads would buy premium sneakers?

(Garrod is obviously scalping them.)
Shinn Asuka and Mikazuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Shinn Asuka and Mikazuki.

Mikazuki seems like an odd choice, considering he just gives his money to Kudelia and hopes she knows what to do with it because he doesn't have much he wants.

I mean, Tekkadan might get involved with the black market trade, but that feels more like a Eugene or Shino plan than anything MIkazuki would vote for.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

So, you're waiting until people no longer have soles bound by gravity?

Expertly done

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Which one-shot?

Because they do meet up in a one-shot that did get translated in the back of the last volume of Origin. Post-war, Sayla calls him up for a favor, and he fakes journalist credentials to be able to swing by. It establishes she used the gold she got from Char to set up an orphanage, and I think Kai discusses swinging by later, but they definitely haven't hooked up yet in that one.

I take it she doesn't ask Bright to split it amongst the rest of the crew in The Origin as she did in the original show? You could use the share of that gold they got to explain how Kai funded himself into being a journalist, how Hayato and Fraw bought a museum with One Year War exhibits, how Amuro afforded that big 'ol house (even though that was probably the Federation paying for it and he apparently became wealthy on his own off Haro sales too) but I don't remember Bright ever showing off anything extravagant he and Mirai might have spent the money on. Mirai is even living in a fairly tiny apartment in Char's Counterattack that makes it look like she's struggling to get by despite the fact her husband leads a special task force in the Federation.

Gaius Marius posted:

Those shoes look stupid as poo poo. I cannot wait until this stupid rear end sneaker fad dies and people stop wearing loving $6000 clownshoes everywhere

If you pulled the horn off the side of them they'd be pretty nice looking honestly. Which I have to imagine there's some way to do without ruining the fabric underneath.

chiasaur11 posted:

Mikazuki seems like an odd choice, considering he just gives his money to Kudelia and hopes she knows what to do with it because he doesn't have much he wants.

I mean, Tekkadan might get involved with the black market trade, but that feels more like a Eugene or Shino plan than anything MIkazuki would vote for.

Mikazuki would become a loving fiend for premium sneakers if Orga told him it'd get them to the place they want to go to. He'd be waiting in back alleys behind stores to gank people who managed to get day one exclusives, camping EBay 24/7 to snipe sales etc.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUxpku0XNIo

Can someone please stop Anaheim from doling out psychoframe units to anyone with a checkbook?

Let’s be real, if it was Anaheim, they’d be pitching Nike and Adidas “exclusive series” at the same time and feigning ignorance whenever anyone asked them about it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaius Marius posted:

Those shoes look stupid as poo poo. I cannot wait until this stupid rear end sneaker fad dies and people stop wearing loving $6000 clownshoes everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UPdSnjVPg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Yeah Shinn is the obvious choice, but I can see both Sekai and Yuuma being into sneakers too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

After a successful job I could absolutely see orga going "guys we just raked in the big bucks so whatever you wanna buy today it's on me" followed by mikazuki blankly staring at some $2000 sneakers saying "these look useful."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In what universe is the answer not the entire Asuno family

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You're right, but this requires people to remember AGE exists. And I'd much rather live in the universe where it does not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think the Asunos have strong enough characterization to ascribe aspects to them not demonstrated in the show.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Age 2 has some decent parts

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Its the only Gundam thing I haven't seen even a little of. poo poo I've watched random bits of SD and Build etc, but never AGE. Not even once.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

Age 2 has some decent parts

Flit's arc is interesting, even if they back down at the end. Having the Amuro get so disillusioned from the death of his Lalah analogue that he basically goes full Gihren from the other end is a really neat choice.

Just, you know. It was in Age.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You're right, but this requires people to remember AGE exists. And I'd much rather live in the universe where it does not.

When I make a list of Gundam I haven't seen (easier than listing everything I have), I always forget AGE exists and I'm better off for that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

When I make a list of Gundam I haven't seen (easier than listing everything I have), I always forget AGE exists and I'm better off for that.

I've just seen the Memories of Eden movies, and that's probably enough for me. I mean, I went back to the original full run Gundam after seeing the movies, but 0079 is a good enough show to be worth it, while AGE... isn't.

(I'm about fifty fifty for Gundam seen, assuming the SEED movies are sufficient to count for the whole show.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a question about a piece of UC technology, the movable frame. Now the Wiki isn't entirely clear on this so let me know if if got this right.

The movable frame is the endoskeleton of a mobile suit that houses the cockpit, generator and the whole electronics system within the frame itself. Armor pieces are then applied over top of the movable frame but are much lighter than One Year War designs because the movable frame is larger to accommodate all the systems and armor isn't much use against particle beams unless a suit has an I-Field.

A suit without a movable frame is basically built in chunks and then welded forever. So a limb would have an endoskeleton and armour coverings built into it before getting attached to the cockpit/generator assembly in the chest piece, with the armour forming an outer shell that is nevertheless connected to the skeletal interior.

Is this right? If I was to use a visual comparison, a suit with a movable frame would be more akin to a Master Grade, Real Grade or Perfect Grade inner frame while a suit without a movable frame would be closer to a High Grade where each limb is built on its own?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yes except there's multiple examples post oyw of armor defeating point blank beam shots

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Yes except there's multiple examples post oyw of armor defeating point blank beam shots

Anti-beam coating is part of it. The Shiki has more than most, but some anti-beam tech is used for common designs, if only on their shields. (And of course, the almighty hand of the plot, but shhhh.)

I think some sources have it be a thing that the White Base is special partially since it can repair Luna Titanium armor, which normally needs specialized facilities at Jaburo or Luna 2. It's a major pain in the rear end to keep the original Gundam combat ready.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

there is? And it wasn't some specialized shield or i-field effect?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

I mean, I can't think of the exact episodes, but I'd be shocked if none of Zeta and ZZ's regular fights had something like that without a shield or i-field. Even in-universe, the Shiki was made to deflect a few shots with the paint rather than a shield or an i-field.

(Speaking of paint, it's interesting how PD has some of the easiest suits to maintain in the lore despite spending much more time on maintenance scenes than the average. A team of civilian mechanics with no direct MS experience are able to keep a Gundam more-or-less in shape through multiple combat engagements, and Gjallarhorn has 'easy to repair' as one of the main features of their MP suit.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 26, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Even with a movable frame, a suit can have really thick armour over its endoskeleton. The classic example is Paptimus Scirocco's The O, but there are plenty of other machines from the Neo Zeon War onwards that were chonk enough to tank beam blasts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Even with a movable frame, a suit can have really thick armour over its endoskeleton. The classic example is Paptimus Scirocco's The O, but there are plenty of other machines from the Neo Zeon War onwards that were chonk enough to tank beam blasts.

I think that was even one of the explanations for the Messer and the Karl being so bulky. The switch to light suits was partially just giving up on that whole treadmill and admitting that enough armor to survive a hit would cripple a MS everywhere else.

(That said, there are things like the Victory Gundam's core fighter taking multiple hits without exploding, but I did mention some of this was just plain old plot mechanics. Shiro's Invinciball isn't the first time or the last that Gundam made units with the protagonists in them much more durable just because the heroes were there.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Speaking of paint, it's interesting how PD has some of the easiest suits to maintain in the lore despite spending much more time on maintenance scenes than the average. A team of civilian mechanics with no direct MS experience are able to keep a Gundam more-or-less in shape through multiple combat engagements, and Gjallarhorn has 'easy to repair' as one of the main features of their MP suit.

I mean, that's kind of a tradition at this point really. The White Base was so short on mechanics that Amuro had to do his own maintenance on the Gundam as well as train for battle and pilot it. He had help from Ryu, Hayate etc. but none of them were trained mechanics, and they managed to return the RX-78-2 from heavy damaged (missing limbs, melted torso, tears in the armor etc) to good condition between episodes multiple times throughout the show. AEUG had a dedicated staff, but the League Militaire was mostly old men and kids and they maintained several suits through battle too. Rain maintained the Shining and God Gundam alone, Heero, Duo and the other Wing boys tended to fix up their units personally due to a lack of support staff for much of the show (Quatre being the exception) and the Archangel was short on trained mechanics in SEED (Murrue was a mechanic, but had to step up as captain if I recall).

Plus, going to the OVAs, Bernie repaired the Zaku II with Al's help (and I doubt Al did that much of it; so it was probably essentially alone), as well as rigging up the battlefield using commercial supplies. All in the space of a few days. Like, he's often cited as a good pilot for managing to damage the Alex in a Zaku II, but I would say his real strength was in tactics personally, since he managed to even the odds mostly through improvised battlefield traps.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

chiasaur11 posted:

(That said, there are things like the Victory Gundam's core fighter taking multiple hits without exploding, but I did mention some of this was just plain old plot mechanics. Shiro's Invinciball isn't the first time or the last that Gundam made units with the protagonists in them much more durable just because the heroes were there.)

Objection, Your Honor - it's well known that the combat effectiveness of an 08th MS team character is inversely proportional to their merits as a human being and should not be applied as a rubric to other entries in the franchise. I can offer Joshua v. Massis as a citation.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

the re-gz and the sazabi both tank shots from grunt beam rifles (the re-gz takes basically a mag dump to be killed by hathaway). Honorary mention to the alpha azieru which was tough enough to survive a beam from the nu-gundam in the neck but that's a mobile armor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Objection, Your Honor - it's well known that the combat effectiveness of an 08th MS team character is inversely proportional to their merits as a human being and should not be applied as a rubric to other entries in the franchise. I can offer Joshua v. Massis as a citation.

I mean, Norris is one of the more decent human beings on the Zeon side, and he finishes his mission. Sure, he dies and there's a replacement for the target he took out, but he's still able to do the job he was sent to do better than anyone else on the show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I have a question about a piece of UC technology, the movable frame. Now the Wiki isn't entirely clear on this so let me know if if got this right.

The movable frame is the endoskeleton of a mobile suit that houses the cockpit, generator and the whole electronics system within the frame itself. Armor pieces are then applied over top of the movable frame but are much lighter than One Year War designs because the movable frame is larger to accommodate all the systems and armor isn't much use against particle beams unless a suit has an I-Field.

A suit without a movable frame is basically built in chunks and then welded forever. So a limb would have an endoskeleton and armour coverings built into it before getting attached to the cockpit/generator assembly in the chest piece, with the armour forming an outer shell that is nevertheless connected to the skeletal interior.

Is this right? If I was to use a visual comparison, a suit with a movable frame would be more akin to a Master Grade, Real Grade or Perfect Grade inner frame while a suit without a movable frame would be closer to a High Grade where each limb is built on its own?

Yeah, all MG, RG, PG kits of the RX-78 are non-canonical.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also worth noting that not all beam shots are created equal. Even as far back as the original Gundam, the Gundam's beam rifle was a high-cost/high-damage tank while the GMs were armed with shittier versions that were less powerful but more usable for an average pilot. Some beam weapons were designed to be long-term sustainable rather than a superbullet which means they were going to be less effective against defenses and armor. (And eventually you have something like the Beam Magnum which is the exact opposite.)

Generally you have to rely on the show to give you some idea of how the beam weaponry should be taken and even then trying to match it up between series is a joke.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

It's also worth noting that not all beam shots are created equal. Even as far back as the original Gundam, the Gundam's beam rifle was a high-cost/high-damage tank while the GMs were armed with shittier versions that were less powerful but more usable for an average pilot. Some beam weapons were designed to be long-term sustainable rather than a superbullet which means they were going to be less effective against defenses and armor. (And eventually you have something like the Beam Magnum which is the exact opposite.)

Generally you have to rely on the show to give you some idea of how the beam weaponry should be taken and even then trying to match it up between series is a joke.

The Beam Spray Gun is honestly not even that bad of a gun, sure it has a shorter range but considering the average range most MS fights happen at it's more than adequate for the job especially when it's only marginally weaker on a shot for shot basis at it's optimal range when compared to the Beam Rifle

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There's environmental damage for some kind of scaling, although some shows aren't even close to consistent there.

For example, the Wing Zero can apparently blow up a massive colony in one shot, but it had a ton of trouble breaking into a bunker. (But then, Wing is kind of cheating vis a vis inconsistency.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/SoleRetriever/status/1442130273135697927?s=20

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The Beam Spray Gun is honestly not even that bad of a gun, sure it has a shorter range but considering the average range most MS fights happen at it's more than adequate for the job especially when it's only marginally weaker on a shot for shot basis at it's optimal range when compared to the Beam Rifle

The BSG could punch holes in a Rick Dom or Gelgoog, which is really all it needed to do and more than you can say for the Ball's 180mm gun. But as we all know the Ball was a "we have more butts than chairs" concession.

Honestly a swing back to thicker armor/ablative coatings makes sense because in what world are we imagining that these walking flying tanks just won't get hit? Not everyone is a psychic teenager or Johnny Ridden and generally you want to at least try and keep your machines running for multiple missions.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if ibos so good why hasnt it gotten a movie yet checkmate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

The BSG could punch holes in a Rick Dom or Gelgoog, which is really all it needed to do and more than you can say for the Ball's 180mm gun. But as we all know the Ball was a "we have more butts than chairs" concession.

Honestly a swing back to thicker armor/ablative coatings makes sense because in what world are we imagining that these walking flying tanks just won't get hit? Not everyone is a psychic teenager or Johnny Ridden and generally you want to at least try and keep your machines running for multiple missions.

On the other hand the cost of making a unit that can survive is usually significantly higher than the cost of making three cheaper robots as long as you have the bodies to put in the seats.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand the cost of making a unit that can survive is usually significantly higher than the cost of making three cheaper robots as long as you have the bodies to put in the seats.

Depends on the series and the mechanics. As a default, I'd expect the gap to lean towards some survivability, because training a pilot gets expensive and basic armor isn't that much more expensive than no armor.

That said, there is a curve, and the return on investment drops the more you climb. Just giving a GM a beam shield costs a small portion of the base price and lets you keep hundreds more in the fight. Meanwhile, making everything Gundam tough doesn't do much against Char unless you're Amuro, and it increases the cost exponentially.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if they mass produced high spec gundams that doesn't mean the rank and file could actually pilot them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Depends on the series and the mechanics. As a default, I'd expect the gap to lean towards some survivability, because training a pilot gets expensive and basic armor isn't that much more expensive than no armor.

That said, there is a curve, and the return on investment drops the more you climb. Just giving a GM a beam shield costs a small portion of the base price and lets you keep hundreds more in the fight. Meanwhile, making everything Gundam tough doesn't do much against Char unless you're Amuro, and it increases the cost exponentially.

Survivability doesn't exclusively derive from armour, though. Making a machine lighter, faster, more agile, and harder to hit is also a viable way to keep your pilots alive, if you believe that the enemy's weaponry is too powerful to make weighing them down with armour worthwhile. UC suit design has gone in this direction at least twice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Focusing on making a smaller amount of units that were Gundam tough would probably have backfired against Zeon's late war design specs, to boot, since Zeon went the opposite way from the beam spray gun concept and started arming everything with one shot kill doom cannons like the Dom's ridiculously enormous bazookas or the Gelgoog's Gundam-tier beam rifle that the Gundam's armor wouldn't be able to shrug off like it could with the Zaku machine guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait are you sayng the Federation didn't mass produce the Gundam in the OYW and give it to every random fucker in the world? The sidestories have lied to me!