Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I just want to check in and say how much I love my FiST. It manages to be janky as gently caress and also super solid all at once. It may need some rust prevention/correction/sanding (wtf are those shelves in the rear wheelwell, what a poo poo idea that was) that I’m not pleased with and I bought it with a surprise piece of broken seat trim that I purchased a replacement for for $21, but in spite of everything holy hell what a perfect car to drive. It’s so good.

Will be replacing the massive-for-the-car 17” wheels with 16s or maybe even 15s come winter.

Question: What’s the deal with fuel rating? I’ve tried 87, 89, 91, and 93. Haven’t noticed a dramatic difference but forums appear to have numbers all over the place, with several people saying that 93 yields 20+ hp and noticeable improvement over 87.

But what a dope little car. I think anybody looking at GTIs but put off by the current price should check one of these out. Get them without the BS recaros, the base seats hold up way better IMO. No complaints about mine. The manual on the FiST is miles better than the one on the GTI.

There is a gremlin in the glovebox, but I suppose I’ll shell out the $400 for the replacement motor at some point.

But still the drive is so good that you put up with the poo poo, because a GTI will have just as many issues but more expensively. If you can wait for/afford a new civic or Veloster N I guess do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I run 93 or 91 if I have to, but I don’t think it improves horsepower anything more than the stated 197. I’m pretty sure all the horsepower and torque numbers are from high octane fuel anyway.

The positive news is that my gas mileage is so good that I don’t mind spending extra for 93.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
91 was $1.70/L here today and it made me glad my GTI can run 87. Might hold off on that tune a little longer.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

prom candy posted:

91 was $1.70/L here today and it made me glad my GTI can run 87. Might hold off on that tune a little longer.

I assume you’re in Aus. Our government kills people to make sure our gas stays cheap. (About half price from yours, for 93)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

The manual on the FiST is miles better than the one on the GTI.

Gyahh why is it so uh..unimpressive on the GTI? Do they make the whole system for higher volume non-sporty models then just copy/paste it to the GTI? Make it as non-stick-driver friendly as possible to "feel premium"? Save on warranty/reliability image cost by making it easier on the drivetrain? The non-ideal-for-dailying long second gear I heard was so they could get to 60mph with one shift and put a slightly lower number on the 0-60 marketing bullet point.

Recently removed the clutch spring and this morning added a clutch stop and it's better, but this is my first VW and I guess I'm getting a glimpse of :vwsay: thinking that I'm gonna really love the car once I do 2-3 more things to the manual driving bits.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GTI: What is wrong with 2nd? 60 in second is also important for the autocross people. Pull your clutch delay valve too. Can't get rid of that weird magnetic pull feeling in the shifter though, but whatever.

My gripe with the FiST shifter was that it was about an inch too far away from me, going to 5th felt awkward.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Having trouble getting smooth shifts for a while after getting it especially 1>2, google was a lot of folks saying the tall 2nd gear (coupled with rev hang) means waiting extra long for revs to fall to the right spot making the process tougher and slower. The window feels tighter in the upper end of where I'd usually shift other cars to not have 2nd land really low in the rev range - like it feels cool and fine wringing it out, just not as braindead easy as my old cars for casually tooling around town (which is supposed to be the big selling point vs. the competition!). I need some more time re-feeling everything out with the couple clutch pedal changes though, too.

Yahh delay valve is on my list along with dogbone insert and probably the Diesel Geek shift kit. Learning idiot here with no car-specific tools just feeling out when to do what without flubbing anything up or messing with warranty.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
drat how else does the GTI manual shifting not feel good, and what else can be done about it?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
When I had a manual GTI the only issues I had were the kind of annoying rev hang, and the non-feel of the release point of the clutch. I think the latter can be fixed in ways already mentioned and even then, it wasn't like it was a huge issue. In daily driving it around I wasn't having issues with it or mad I got a manual, it mostly felt fine. Rev hang isn't exclusive to the GTI, a lot of cars use this to burn the excessive fuel for emissions testing.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I like the manual in my 2016 just fine but yes, insanely tall gearing, vague bite point even with the clutch bleeder-restrictor removed, etc.

I added the dogbone and the stiffener from ECS and there's now vibration that rings the car like a bell when starting from a dead stop. If you get theirs and you also get the stiffener just buy them separately. If you buy the bundle somehow it's one bolt shy of two full sets of hardware and therefore you can't remove the stiffener if you feel like it.

I find if I rev to ~4100 rpm that revs hang for a shorter window and shifts seem more 'correct' for want of a better term, though that's only handy if you get to set the pace of your acceleration.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Head Bee Guy posted:

drat how else does the GTI manual shifting not feel good, and what else can be done about it?

Get a DSG :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

get a FiST and save $10 grand

or get any Honda manual, those things are joy to use

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Difference in interior quality was enough for me to spring for the GTI. I've owned several Hondas too, I love them, but GTI is way nicer to be in. My last few manuals were a 2004 350z and a 2005 Sentra SE-R SpecV, and GTI is def worse than both of those but I wouldn't call it terrible. Figure this was the last new ICE car I'll probably ever buy, so while yeah the dsg is faster I still wanted to row em myself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Difference in interior quality was enough for me to spring for the GTI. I've owned several Hondas too, I love them, but GTI is way nicer to be in. My last few manuals were a 2004 350z and a 2005 Sentra SE-R SpecV, and GTI is def worse than both of those but I wouldn't call it terrible. Figure this was the last new ICE car I'll probably ever buy, so while yeah the dsg is faster I still wanted to row em myself.

while everything works the GTI really is a lovely interior, definitely the nicest interior of all the cars I tested.

I’ve heard a lot of horror stories of things failing/breaking, but Idk how much of it is selection bias/etc. The interior in the Cabrio isn’t really any worse than when it was bought, but it wasn’t in excellent shape then, but it still manages to elicit nice feelings. Childhood memories of the 87 Jetta are fond, but all that poo poo was crank-powered and the radio got stolen like 5 times.

The Gen10 Honda Civic interior was terrible. I have high hopes for Gen11.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have two clutches now, so I don't need the 6-speed anymore. Seriously though, I love the DSG and I still have a Celica and Miata manual when I want to drive one. TBH, the GTI manual was better than my Celica and can't really compare to the Miata since it's so old and has like 90hp.

Edit: I test drove a civic SI a couple years ago and I didn't find the manual to be anything special. In fact the GTI test drive sold me on it.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 18, 2021

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Day 2 of dealing with dealers- "great news, the veloster N arrived early, it's sitting in the lot now, so are you coming down? I'll send you a out the door estimate" -

2 mins later

out the door price: $50,000

This is the new normal though :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Day 2 of dealing with dealers- "great news, the veloster N arrived early, it's sitting in the lot now, so are you coming down? I'll send you a out the door estimate" -

2 mins later

out the door price: $50,000

This is the new normal though :)

What the gently caress what was MSRP with all the options?

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Rolo posted:

What the gently caress what was MSRP with all the options?

The Veloster N’s MSRP hovers around 32-35k with options, and the main option is manual or automatic.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

there are no options except the dct

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So they wanted you to pay fifteen thousand dollars over MSRP.

I might be underestimating the wackiness of the market.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Yeah. I mean obviously I’d decline the service contract but haha at these markups and fake fees

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Head Bee Guy posted:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/

Chunk of that is maintenance on anything worn; the short version of from the factory stuff is like:
Remove clutch assist spring to reduce pedal vagueness.
Add clutch stop to remove extra travel in the pedal past the engagement point.
Remove clutch bleeder block delay valve to speed up clutch pedal response.
Harder dogbone mounts for more solid shifter and transmission engagement.
Harder shifter bushings and/or short shift kits to reduce the throw and loose feeling.
Maybe clutch line to the bleeder too cause stock may have a second delay valve in there?
Maybe tune to reduce rev hang, but I wasn't finding much on google for people saying a tune actually helped?

Imo it's just bad in the context of this is the 7th generation of "the" hot hatch by the people that kinda started the concept and have been making transmissions fordamnever, and what kinda drivers I perceive the target market to be. It's not terrible for sure, stock setup is..fine, just how much I love the rest of the car makes it stick (:v:) out ya know.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

monkeytennis posted:

300?? Jesus Christ. Let’s have a look then.

Here it is!

Stuff to do:
Knock sensor
Wheel refurb
Badges
Roof paint
Service

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Bape Culture posted:

Here it is!

Stuff to do:
Knock sensor
Wheel refurb
Badges
Roof paint
Service

Excellent work! That looks very nice indeed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I assume you’re in Aus. Our government kills people to make sure our gas stays cheap. (About half price from yours, for 93)

This was in Canada

Ok Comboomer posted:

or get any Honda manual, those things are joy to use

my civic si had the super vague clutch and serious rev hang. not to mention if you wanted to tune it beyond a fairly mild tune you needed a new clutch that could handle the power.

i've had my dsg for about six months now and i don't really miss driving stick.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

All this GTI manual talk got me to finally do a few things to mine. Took out the clutch assist spring and added a DIY clutch stop, made a big difference already! Also ordered a Boomba short shift adapter for the hell of it, will get in and remove the bleeder block too when I put that in. Dunno if I'll stick with the short shifter, but it's easy enough to swap out if I don't like it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolrah posted:

Have any of the FiST people here done the reverse camera install or anything else that had you running wires in/out of the hatch? I am having a hell of a time getting any cables to pass through the rubber thing. I can get a screwdriver through but nothing too soft to push like a stranded copper cable, and pulling it through isn't working either thanks to the size of the connectors.
Returning to this, I finally managed to make it work by using a piece of solid core ethernet cable as a leader because it's stiff enough to push while still being flexible enough to get up around the inside of the hatch.. I stretched the outer insulation a bit at the tail end and it was the perfect diameter to stick the male end of the camera's four pin cable in to, so I did that and then wrapped them up in electrical tape.

That alone still wasn't enough, it was pulling apart soon after the camera cable entered the boot, but then I remembered I'm theoretically a professional network installer and I had a tube of cable lube in my work bag. Taped the cables back together again, lubed 'em both up, and the whole thing slid through with ease.

Now to figure out why the APIM harness I bought isn't working or just modify the vehicle harness.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
lol I had a 2012 Civic Si, don’t talk to me about lovely interiors.

The plastic on dash felt like something from the toy section of a dollar store.

Fun as hell, though

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Boomba short shift adapter showed up sooner than expected, so I spent all of 5 minutes putting it on over lunch today. Only a short 10 minute drive with it on, but liking it so far.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

RIP to my veloster, but I think I'm gonna get over it

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Not a hatch. Voted 1

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

its what's on the inside that counts
a golf r

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Not a hatch. Voted 1

Fellatio del Toro posted:

its what's on the inside that counts
a golf r

it’s a golf r that had a bris

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mazel tov!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I traded my Focus ST for a blue S4. Don't tell the rest of the Hatchback thread

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

I enjoyed the time I had with my S3, it was a nice car, comfortable, and fast. I traded it in for an '18 Civic Si because the PO apparently hosed the DSG over and it was shifting with FORCE from 1-2 and 2-3 after a mild tune from United Motorsports, uncomfortably so. I did all fluids, and had several people check things out but my main shop said it was likely to poo poo itself within the next few thousand miles so I got out of it.

It looked nice and was really fast, I don't miss it as much as I miss my Fiesta ST though.

I hope you enjoy it, it's a Golf with a trunk but fast as gently caress! I imagine if I had picked up a Golf R instead of the S3 at the time I'd still have it. Instead I have no cars now and keep trolling craigslist/facebook marketplace for something interesting and cheap but so far no luck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
got a Jeeper wave and a honk from a cat in a zesty mustard-colored FoST yesterday

not really something that’s happened to me before, though I used to get the occasional offer+phone no. slipped under a wiper when I dailied the E36

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I went with a couple of fellow AI'ers and picked up a 2002 Focus SVT today from someone who didn't have the money any more to fix it up. It has some issues but the price was excellent! It is currently not starting, or it will start and cutout after a second or two. It appears to have been in a small front end collision at some point and was repaired. The battery terminals are also completely loose as the bolts/nuts to tighten them down to the battery posts are missing. Additionally there are a couple of vacuum hoses coming into the throttle body and intake manifold that are loose and/or have no clamps. One was completely off the port on the throttle body and after reseating it, the car started up and idled perfectly for about two minutes, then I gave it some gas and it sputtered out then died.

PO had put in a new timing belt, new serpentine belt, new cam sensor and fuel filter. We believe it's starting issues are electrical and or vacuum related, causing fuel/air delivery problems. It could also just be extremely old gas in the tank, they had put in a fresh gallon of 87 which is probably also not so good for it right now, we think it had been sitting for about 5 years before being sold last month to the guy I bought it from. I plan to dig into it further tomorrow but I think it should make for a fun little project!

Is it hot enough for the hot hatch thread? :ohdear:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Well alright then! I took an inventory of the interior before I lost the evening light:

Gauge cluster in good shape:

CD changer makes noises every time you turn on the radio, plan on ripping this out:

I think this is a Mini shift knob? It absolutely doesn't fit the threads on the shifter arm itself, which look OK:

Aftermarket fuel rail of some sort in the trunk, further proof this motor/car has been handled (poorly) before:

OEM "audiophile soundsystem" subwoofer and trunk:

Computer. Ligma control? Can anyone tell me what this is? It does not look like it belongs in this car:

OEM sunroof provided by PO:

The trunk is extremely clean and includes the OEM spare, so super happy about that:

Kinda tempted to just replace the entire thing with plexiglass, anyone have a source on getting custom plexi cut?