Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I like 3.5, bit it's old enough to drink and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
3.5 made me want a player screen just to remind me of what my buffs and bonuses were.

"yeah, you can't hit me because I'm really proud of myself. Like, really proud."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

3.5 made me want a player screen just to remind me of what my buffs and bonuses were.

"yeah, you can't hit me because I'm really proud of myself. Like, really proud."

"Oh wait no I hit with that roll. Forgot I'm married to everyone else in the party."

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

theironjef posted:

"Oh wait no I hit with that roll. Forgot I'm married to everyone else in the party."

It's funny because ceremony is still in 5e

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure that's :filez: site and they're for 3.5, this is the 5e thread. There's a free 5e quickstart doc here:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

If you're just getting into RPGs but are low on cash swing by the chat thread for some cheap or free suggestions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953789

There's more to RPGs than D&D!

verbal enema posted:

hey thanks i wasnt really sure where to go as this is an area of the forums i have been maybe 2 times before

cheers! also ill edit out that link

WoTC also provided a variety of free materials to the public at the start of the pandemic, including the introductory rules, a few starter characters and some low-level adventures, which are collected here: https://dnd.wizards.com/remote/freematerial

DNDBeyond is an officially-authorized website and provides a variety of free services, in particular allowing you to create basic characters and save a number of them. It's a great place to start as a new player. https://www.dndbeyond.com/essentials

There's also a list of free campaigns and other materials here, which offer a lot of great opportunities for play. https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/dungeon-masters-only/43718-list-of-free-dnd-campaigns

https://www.dmsguild.com/ has a bunch of stuff (adventures, third-party classes or sub-classes, equipment lists, monsters, etc.) that is "pay what you want" (i.e. $0.00) that is often quite good and worth picking up. You just need to make a free account and start adding things to it. In particular I'd suggest looking at some of the material made by Walrock Homebrew, such as the celebrated Paladin Oath of the Common Man. http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/

Finally, https://roll20.net/ is a great resource for online play and creating virtual campaigns. And their SRD Compendium is freely available here, which is a handy resource both for rules, spells, and common monster statistics. https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/BookIndex

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's a really useful post, thank you! I've already shared it with friends who were looking to get started.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does Halo of Spores increase its die based on your total level or druid level?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does Halo of Spores increase its die based on your total level or druid level?

It's the druid level. I'd agree that it's not clearly written though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you were building a Swarmkeeper Ranger for a campaign that's going to probably 10 or 11, where would you bail for a multiclass, and for what?

For context, I'm going Druidic Warrior fighting style so I can focus on Shillelagh and push Wisdom on the ASIs. Polearm Master for more attacks. I'm thinking of pushing it to 8 and bailing out for 2 levels of Twilight Cleric.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you were building a Swarmkeeper Ranger for a campaign that's going to probably 10 or 11, where would you bail for a multiclass, and for what?

For context, I'm going Druidic Warrior fighting style so I can focus on Shillelagh and push Wisdom on the ASIs. Polearm Master for more attacks. I'm thinking of pushing it to 8 and bailing out for 2 levels of Twilight Cleric.

I'd probably go Warrior for Action surge.

But also the 11th level feature for Swarmkeeper seems pretty good for a frontline ranger. Having a chance to knock someone prone on an attack is good.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT
I have a character with the feat polearm master and the fighting style great weapon fighting, and I'm wielding a quarterstaff with both hands.

I know I get to reroll a 1 or 2 on my 1d8 for my main attack - can I also reroll 1s and 2s on the 1d4 for the follow-up bonus attack?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Propane C3H8 posted:

I have a character with the feat polearm master and the fighting style great weapon fighting, and I'm wielding a quarterstaff with both hands.

I know I get to reroll a 1 or 2 on my 1d8 for my main attack - can I also reroll 1s and 2s on the 1d4 for the follow-up bonus attack?

I'd say rules as written are ambiguous I would but allow it. then again, I am also generally more lenient towards melee classes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Propane C3H8 posted:

Yes, as you are making a melee weapon attack, and all great weapon fighting says is you have to be making an attack with a weapon you are wielding with 2 hands.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
edit: nm.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dexo posted:

I'd probably go Warrior for Action surge.

But also the 11th level feature for Swarmkeeper seems pretty good for a frontline ranger. Having a chance to knock someone prone on an attack is good.

Yeah, if I knew for sure we were going to 11 I'd probably stick to it, but if we end at 10, I took two pretty weak levels. I think Cleric and Fighter are the only real options. Spore Druid looked good, but the ability turns off when you lose your temp HP, which is after pretty much a single hit at those levels.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So I'm dabbling in 5E after not playing D&D since 3E (not even 3.5, I've been out of the tabletop scene for a while). On the whole I like 5E, I think. Back in 3E my favorite class was the psychic warrior, and yes it was splatbook nonsense but I really liked the theme of a high-mobility melee fighter who could self-buff and run on walls, without as much reliance on daily spells because a lot of their abilities keyed off "psychic focus" which was a renewable resource. If I wanted to recreate that approximate playstyle in 5E, what should I look at? Looking through the PHB I'm thinking maybe Warlock, with Pact of the Blade and the Great Old One as my patron? It still doesn't really line up but it's close-ish.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kylaer posted:

So I'm dabbling in 5E after not playing D&D since 3E (not even 3.5, I've been out of the tabletop scene for a while). On the whole I like 5E, I think. Back in 3E my favorite class was the psychic warrior, and yes it was splatbook nonsense but I really liked the theme of a high-mobility melee fighter who could self-buff and run on walls, without as much reliance on daily spells because a lot of their abilities keyed off "psychic focus" which was a renewable resource. If I wanted to recreate that approximate playstyle in 5E, what should I look at? Looking through the PHB I'm thinking maybe Warlock, with Pact of the Blade and the Great Old One as my patron? It still doesn't really line up but it's close-ish.

There's a psionic warrior subclass for fighters that can yeet themselves around, but it sounds like you're more describing a monk.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Path of the Beast barbarians can run on walls (and ceilings) at 6th level. Three levels of Soulknife rogue would add more mobility (from cunning action) and some psionic stuff. It's also pretty monk-like, since you can get 4 attacks while raging (extra attack, form of the beast claws, soulknife bonus action attack) if that's what you want to go for.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013
It could be worth looking at the Hexblade patron for warlock - they're def the most melee focused and (like all warlocks) get resources back on a short rest. They're a popular multiclass dip because they're SUPER front loaded but can be a lot of fun just played straight

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

change my name posted:

There's a psionic warrior subclass for fighters that can yeet themselves around, but it sounds like you're more describing a monk.

I found this online and the psychic dice mechanic is really cool, the die size going up and down seems like a great push-your-luck decision, and the three 3rd-level abilities seem good in pretty much any situation. Not sure about the higher level stuff but as I said, I'm new to 5E and haven't gotten a character past level 2 so far. So maybe fighter to level 3, take psi knight, then warlock? Hexblade may be mechanically stronger but I like the automatic telepathy you get from the great old one, it just fits my character concept. Maybe just one level of warlock and then back to fighter? I dunno if invocations are actually worthwhile or not, Fiendish Vigor giving you bonus HP pretty much constantly seems like a no-brainer choice, and the 120' darkvision one seems good too.

I'll look into the expanded monk options too, the ki point thing seems pretty versatile but the base PHB stuff didn't really click for me. Much appreciated!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The main advantage of Hexblade is that it lets you use Cha for everything relevant in addition to the usual Warlock nonsense (read: Eldritch Blast spam). Psi Knights need Str / Dex, Con (because Fighter), and Int; all Hexblade would give you is the ability to sub out Str / Dex for Cha. Dipping out of Fighter for Diviner Wizard or Artificer would give you a few niche utility options while maintaing "hitting things with weapons" as the optimal use of your action.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Speaking of Warlocks, if you are more of a caster warlock, what are some interesting dips? the obvious choices seem like Sorcerer, Bard, Paladin, but anything more specific with those? any other interesting choices from other classes?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1442258496930598912

5.5 or 6?

E: also this is good:

https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1442262388451930112

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Considering i just bought the books, i hope its not too big of an adjustment.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Ash Rose posted:

Speaking of Warlocks, if you are more of a caster warlock, what are some interesting dips? the obvious choices seem like Sorcerer, Bard, Paladin, but anything more specific with those? any other interesting choices from other classes?

Hexblade with a dip into Fighter for action surge is pretty cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That is an unusually far away long time to announce new core rulebooks, whether it's a revision or a whole new edition. Unless they're planning on just turning the next three years into beta testing like D&D Next was, this feels like a Big Mistake.

e: here's an enworld link https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-future-of-d-d-new-core-books-in-2024.682891/

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 27, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Considering i just bought the books, i hope its not too big of an adjustment.
I got some bad news for you.

The good news of course is that that's a few years away, so...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
5e rules 6e drools

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

That is an unusually far away long time to announce new core rulebooks, whether it's a revision or a whole new edition. Unless they're planning on just turning the next three years into beta testing like D&D Next was, this feels like a Big Mistake.

e: here's an enworld link https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-future-of-d-d-new-core-books-in-2024.682891/
Seems like this will absolutely cannibalize sales of the upcoming box sets, yeah. Why buy those instead of waiting for the new point-five edition?

Everyone who's played long enough remembers that a "revision" like this is basically a new edition. It will have enough small upgrades it'll feel really bad to try and play with the older core books. Potentially, impossible - improved monster stat blocks alone will break compatibility in weird and unexpected ways.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like this will absolutely cannibalize sales of the upcoming box sets, yeah. Why buy those instead of waiting for the new point-five edition?

Everyone who's played long enough remembers that a "revision" like this is basically a new edition. It will have enough small upgrades it'll feel really bad to try and play with the older core books. Potentially, impossible - improved monster stat blocks alone will break compatibility in weird and unexpected ways.

While I don't doubt that it will impact the sales to some degree, 3 years is a long time to hold off on purchasing anything. It is really strange that they would announce something that far off though. They must just feel like its not that big of a deal and its minor changes like integrating the customized origins and minor errata? Just a supposition based on limited information, of course.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

denimgorilla posted:

While I don't doubt that it will impact the sales to some degree, 3 years is a long time to hold off on purchasing anything. It is really strange that they would announce something that far off though. They must just feel like its not that big of a deal and its minor changes like integrating the customized origins and minor errata? Just a supposition based on limited information, of course.
Re-writing an entire monster manual isn't a minor change, though.

I don't believe it'll just be minor changes. Frankly I hope it's not just minor changes because it'd be cool if it was good.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

dwarf74 posted:

Re-writing an entire monster manual isn't a minor change, though.

I don't believe it'll just be minor changes. Frankly I hope it's not just minor changes because it'd be cool if it was good.

I guess I'm missing the part about re-writing the monster manual. Was it in a different announcement or do I just not read good?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

denimgorilla posted:

I guess I'm missing the part about re-writing the monster manual. Was it in a different announcement or do I just not read good?
There's a bit about re-doing monster stat blocks to make spellcasting basically not a thing anymore - making them much more self-contained. I suppose they could indeed release the 50th anniversary edition while keeping the most archetypal monsters unchanged to their new model, but it'd be an extremely weird move.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The expansion box with the new Mordenkainen's book is $170???

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It sounds a lot like the lead up to 5e. They announced 5e, cut all or most 4e releases, then eventually spent a bunch of time on playtests. Then people started to use "poor sales" of 4e during that time period to imply 4e was bad and unpopular when it was just the long stretch of time after 5e was announced and 4e was no longer really supported.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Mederlock posted:

Hexblade with a dip into Fighter for action surge is pretty cool.

Sorry, I maybe wasn't clear in the initial post. I'm not doing Hexblade, I'm doing Tome. Trying to be our magic expert in the party, we have 'hitting stuff' covered pretty well.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

The expansion box with the new Mordenkainen's book is $170???

It sounds like it contains other books too. But yeah for sure going to get the new book solo.

As for the new monsters. We have some examples in hard to read format comparing to their old versions.

From what I can gleam they seem similar to the statblocks in the new Wild Beyond the Witchlight. Here is Kelek the sorcerer for example. Most Spellcasters in the future will probably be like him.

Combat Notes posted:

Kelek uses Arcane Defense to bolster his low Armor Class whenever possible, and his challenge rating is a reflection of the likelihood that he will use Fiery Explosion as often as he can. If one or more of his allies get caught in a blast, so be it.

I note that he does have spells, but none of them deal damage, so they have no effect on his offence calculation.

Ryuujin posted:

It sounds a lot like the lead up to 5e. They announced 5e, cut all or most 4e releases, then eventually spent a bunch of time on playtests. Then people started to use "poor sales" of 4e during that time period to imply 4e was bad and unpopular when it was just the long stretch of time after 5e was announced and 4e was no longer really supported.

The Difference here seems to be that it will be backwards compatible, which 5e to 4e was not. Most of the upcoming stuff announced is Setting stuff which should transition well anyway.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 27, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How do you counterspell or dispel magic spell-like abilities though? They don't have levels to contest against

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

How do you counterspell or dispel magic spell-like abilities though? They don't have levels to contest against

Looks like it will be more anti-control spells then damage spells against new monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

change my name posted:

There's a lot of ways you could handle it?

Create (Magic) tags for abilities to indicate they can be dispelled/detected/etc or something similar. Or create specialized tag for levels.

Create a general rule that if a spell or ability does not indicate a level, it is cast at level (x) where (x) is some monster feature (hit dice, 1/2 hit dice, or what have you).

Who knows how they want to handle it but it's not irreconcilable.