Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The world just wasn’t ready for your game-changing ideas. :colbert:

Also the cats are brother and sister so I’m not sure what that does to the scenario. Maybe a touch of Game of Thrones or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

The world just wasn’t ready for your game-changing ideas. :colbert:

Also the cats are brother and sister so I’m not sure what that does to the scenario. Maybe a touch of Game of Thrones or something.

It's a (s)cat fetish

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

poeticoddity posted:

Re: In-home urinal.

When I was in middle school one of the "electives" (we were forced to take all of them but they rotated each 6 weeks unlike normal courses) required us to lay out a house for some reason.
Cue me, who actually cooked family meals regularly at that age, designing a house with a urinal in the kitchen as a time-saving measure, and putting it next to the stove so I could keep an eye on anything that was on an active burner. :gonk:

Also, I love the idea of one of your cats creepin' on the other cat's duce Spiderman kiss style.

My cousin installed one in his garage about a year ago. Right next to the fridge. No lie, its made out of any old beer keg.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
A small display set as a gift.

The collar pins were modelled from reference images, 3D printed, painted and weathered. They have butterfly pin mounts. The frame was originally all that gold colour so the inset was painted and inked and the mounting made from a dollar store set of felt pads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rapulum_Dei posted:

A small display set as a gift.

The collar pins were modelled from reference images, 3D printed, painted and weathered. They have butterfly pin mounts. The frame was originally all that gold colour so the inset was painted and inked and the mounting made from a dollar store set of felt pads.

What are the pins, I don’t recognize them? Looks really nice though.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Meant to look like these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s not helping

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

BigFactory posted:

That’s not helping

dune

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Renovating a kerosene lantern, the mantle type:

Basically just polishing it up and replacing the washers and o-rings.

It was missing a pre-heat cup (you fill with methylated spirits and set fire to it, it'll preheat the tube in the middle so it can vaporize the kerosene). Turned a simple one from aluminum:

A bit of a tight fit but I can get a match in there and I can fill the cup using one of those lab type squirt bottles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's working!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I watched a Technology Connections video recently where the host covered those (and many other styles of) lanterns. I still think it's insane that anyone successfully marketed a lantern that requires a main fuel and a priming fuel that are different (:psyduck:), but nice job on the restoration.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Kerosene is just so bloody safe in comparison to those other fuels. That's what people appreciated I gather. As do I.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Lantern is cool. Playhouse is sweet!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Neat lantern, do you have to prime with a secondary fuel because kerosene isn't volatile enough to light up?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yes that's the purpose of the cup I made, use methylated spirits. Burns very lovely actually, sorta blue flame. I always have a bottle at hand since it's good for so much.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Lantern is cool. Playhouse is sweet!

Thanks, that's supposedly for the kids, but it's where my SO escapes to chill, I think that's why she wanted it... Kids where just an excuse.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ever onward

Still need to tile, put some poly on the shelves, and, uhh, find a door. Which is easy, the doors we have on that floor are easily found in catalog, but they’re all listed as out of stock with no back order option no matter where I go. :negative:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I made my nephew a toy chest this weekend.
No build pics until I started finishing it unfortunately.

Oak and cedar on the lower part, oak and plywood on the top.

I decided to burn it rather than staining it.

Interior:
I used some old vinyl for the underside of the lid, and put black velvet on the false bottom.

False bottom? yeah.

I put a couple of coats of poly on the outside, and I'm going to need to get some handles, otherwise it's done.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I decided to burn it rather than staining it.

Interior:
I used some old vinyl for the underside of the lid, and put black velvet on the false bottom.

False bottom? yeah.

I put a couple of coats of poly on the outside, and I'm going to need to get some handles, otherwise it's done.
Very nice!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Really nice :3:

The levitation too!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is fantastic work, but I want to call out this photo specifically for looking like a glitched game rendering, due to the weird-looking shadows. It took me until the second photo to realize you'd perched the thing on a black milk crate!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AFewBricksShy posted:

You're a good aunt/uncle. :kimchi:

How do you burn it to get a uniform-ish finish?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve only done that type of finish once, you can do it with a cheap $25 propane torch though it would be easier with a better one. Mostly just takes time and patience to get it consistent.

And it’s not really so much a project making something cool instead of basic house maintenance but I finally finished a couple month long project to replace posts/other rotted pieces and boards of the fence, have someone pressure wash it, then finally re-stained all 300+ feet. I also did the same to the playset I built five years ago, it was due for another coat of stain so I used the excess from the fence.

Dog tax included.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 2, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Suburban Dad posted:

You're a good aunt/uncle. :kimchi:

How do you burn it to get a uniform-ish finish?

I have one of those 4” weed burners that runs off of propane.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Inferno-Propane-Torch-Kit-KH825-01/100341111

It starts to go pretty quickly. After burning it I hit it with steel wool to pull some of the char off of the surface.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 3, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The kids weren’t using the climbing wall attached to the playground because they are bigger now and have a hard time getting through the opening safely.

Solution, take the climbing wall face off, reinforce the frame, and make it easier to get onto the platform. Just need to hit it with matching stain when it isn’t going to rain.

I then took the climbing wall plywood into the basement and built a frame for it there. It’s anchored into the main beam as well as a 2x4 with six tapcons; it isn’t going anywhere. One more coat of paint and I’ll reinstall the holds. I’m glad I went overkill and got stainless hold mounting hardware when I built the climbing wall in the first place, they barely have any corrosion at all after 6 years out in the weather.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 15, 2021

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

A friend who lets me use their lathe recently tidied the shed and has an unrestored lamp like that and 2 heaters - the same arrangement but with a parabolic dish. i wonder how much work there’s be in getting them shiny and working.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Did a Resto on an old bike

Before

During

After

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

More laser cutter shenanigans, making a mold positive for wall tiles

really big tiles

Unfortunately something caused a few patches around the edge to fail to cure (bad mix? interacted with the paint I was using to seal it there?) and my patch job came out... lumpy. Don't know how to fix that, don't want to make another mold without exhausting my options to fix this one

It cleans up acceptably in a plaster cast, but that ended up weighing like 50lbs and I'm going to need 30 of these, so for the sake of the architecture and my back I'm looking at making the rest with some kind of polyurethane foam. If I can figure out a filler that adheres well to the foam I'll be golden

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 23, 2021

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
Smooth-on has an entire range of resins for large architectural details. They will cost more than plaster, of course, but may be worth it to you.

https://www.smooth-on.com/applications/architectural-restoration/

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
covid transformation from disgusting man-pit to acceptable wfh space

those fuckers better not make me go back to the office

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rapulum_Dei posted:

A friend who lets me use their lathe recently tidied the shed and has an unrestored lamp like that and 2 heaters - the same arrangement but with a parabolic dish. i wonder how much work there’s be in getting them shiny and working.

There's a decent bit of elbow grease required, you can buy kits with gaskets and such to replace the old dried components that are most likely to have given up.

Anyway I did some restoration on our 14 year old sofas, the leather was starting to look faded.

Used my own mix of anoline dyes, redder than the original color, more burgundy now.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Withnail posted:

covid transformation from disgusting man-pit to acceptable wfh space

those fuckers better not make me go back to the office

The stickers sure multiplied!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what do you get for a grill dad who has way more expendable income than you?

I really like doing wire rivets, gotta find more excuses to do them

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

2nd couch is done, I think it turned out nice. I gave the sofas a rub down later with a rag and my own mix of carnauba and beeswax. Supposed to protect the leather and keep it shinier.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what do you get for a grill dad who has way more expendable income than you?

I really like doing wire rivets, gotta find more excuses to do them

Those rock.

His Divine Shadow posted:

2nd couch is done, I think it turned out nice. I gave the sofas a rub down later with a rag and my own mix of carnauba and beeswax. Supposed to protect the leather and keep it shinier.

You ever redo upholstery too? All hog clips and lots of cusses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I made a cat tree, pretty pleased with how it came out.

WIP pics and such: https://imgur.com/gallery/PQTD29R

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Nice job! The amazing part is the cats are using something you put effort into making for them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not pictured: an unrelenting stream of treats, because the middle one hates the other two.

Also not pictured: the cats spending the rest of the evening playing with the leftover carpeting in the living room until they passed out on it, cat tree uninhabited.

I’m confident they’ll make use of it once summer hits, though. Gonna put a carpeted ledge in that window and probably some sort of sling hammock thing up there, it’ll get toasty in the sun and they won’t be able to resist.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bad Munki posted:

I made a cat tree, pretty pleased with how it came out.

WIP pics and such: https://imgur.com/gallery/PQTD29R

I've made numerous scratching posts with sisal twine like that. If they use it as a scratching post a lot, they'll tear through the twine and it'll come apart. It looks great, and if you have that problem it's only because they're using it, but something to watch out for. On the more recent ones that I've made I ran a few heavy lines of wood glue under the twine so that it mostly stays in place if they shred through it in a spot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there some sort of adult equivalent to "cinder blocks and solid wood doors from home depot" maker shelving for adults

I googled this but it's just trash full of SEO "what do shelves mean to YOU? are books dead? are bookshelves dead? did vinyl save ikea kallax shelving?" clickbait :words:

about to order a bunch of 4x4 and 1/2" cabinetry grade plywood and then wrap it in birch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you have access to a table saw, you can just google "diy Baltic birch plywood bookcase" and go hog wild. Protip: sagulator