Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait are throttles not meant to have a little bit of dead zone? Every bike I've ever had has had a few degrees of play before anything happens, seems like a sensible precaution to me.

none of my dirtbikes ever did so I shimmed my tube on my KTM to get rid of the dead zone too. lots of aftermarket tubes that do the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait are throttles not meant to have a little bit of dead zone? Every bike I've ever had has had a few degrees of play before anything happens, seems like a sensible precaution to me.

Not sure if that's the case from the factory, but with cable operated throttles you can either add/remove a bit of play with an adjustment to the throttle cable at the handlebar. I think this would be set at the dealership during prep. Of course if you go too tight you are defeating the purpose of the idle set screw and your idle will increase, so some play is good.

Here is what the Hawk GT service manual says on throttle cable play:

quote:

Measure the free play at the throttle grip flange.

FREE PLAY: 2 – 6 mm (1/16 – 1/4 in)

Throttle grip free play can be adjusted at either end of the throttle cable. Minor adjustments are made with the upper adjuster.

Major adjustments are made with the lower adjuster.

Adjust the free play by loosening the lock nut and turning the adjusting nut. Tighten the lock nuts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You have to have a bit of play on a cable throttle to prevent the steering pulling the throttle open unintentionally. You don't theoretically need any on a FBW setup but in practice a couple of degrees of freeplay is safe and sensible. I think of it as the dead zone on a joystick; you don't really want your timberwolf veering to the left every time you touch the stick, you don't want your bike gently revving up every time you touch the bars.

My 2c on the ubiquitous r6 tube: it's an ergonomic thing that depends on your body and the bike layout, some bikes are easy to twist right open and others are really awkward and it depends on you and the bike. I think if you have the wherewithal to need one you have the wherewithal to just adjust your grip when you're going to give it a big handful. Cause you plan your throttle inputs and corners, cause you know how to ride. So by the time you 'need' one it's really just a comfort and convenience thing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bizwank posted:

I agree, which is exactly why I qualified the advice with "once you have a good feel for it". I'm also a brand new rider and waited until I had about 400 miles on the bike and a solid feel for the throttle response before making the swap, and have had zero issues with it. It's a very common complaint/solution for that specific model.

:lol:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I missed that part, the blind leading the blind

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I missed the part where you'd ridden an MT-03 with the stock throttle tube and could have an informed opinion about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bizwank posted:

I missed the part where you'd ridden an MT-03 with the stock throttle tube and could have an informed opinion about it.

:lol:
:ok:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

bizwank posted:

Yes I'm sure Slavvy has no idea what a generic light standard's throttle action feels like or how it might affect the riding dynamics. :rolleyes:

As usual he's being kind of abrasive, but holding up 400 miles as enough experience to have a good solid feel for how the bike works is misguided. 400 miles is a weekend trip, or even one long day of spirited canyon-carving. Especially as a new rider, you don't really have any sense of how a bike is supposed to feel or the advantages/disadvantages of certain mods yet.

Installing a short-throw tube reduces your need to shift your grip between zero and full throttle, at the expense of reducing effective throttle resolution and requiring finer motor control. On a racetrack it is a disadvantage to have to shift your grip on the throttle tube, and it is expected that the rider has a very fine sense of throttle control. On the street there is no disadvantage to shifting your grip around, a larger throw is easier and more comfortable to finesse e.g. in stop-and-go traffic, and it's safer for a new rider with less expertise. The longer throw is therefore preferable for most street riding, which is why the MT-03 comes equipped that way.

By installing the short throw throttle in under 400 miles of total experience, as you have said in response to some wrist awkwardness, you have kind of put a band-aid on the real issue (you aren't using the throttle properly, there would be no wrist discomfort regardless of throw if you were) and inserted some disadvantages (noted above) that you might never realize are problems because you haven't got the experience to say otherwise. Now you won't learn to shift your grip to ergonomically accommodate different throttle throws, and your bike might be more surly at low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic than it was before.

Also the dead zone you had before was indeed due to a simple adjustment that could be made with either throttle tube, but you attributed it to the new throttle because you didn't know better.

This isn't meant to rag on you or mock you or anything. It's not like you sawed off the muffler or darksided the bike, and obviously a short-throw throttle does work just fine if it suits you. Everyone can do whatever they like with their own bike and everyone started riding from a point of ignorance. I'm just aiming to explain the full context of the situation so we can avoid trading snide remarks and driving off newbies, Slavvy.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 27, 2021

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Im getting an itch to get back to riding and was looking at something to replace the cb500r I have maybe in the spring or now before winter if bikes are having the same supply issues cars are if theres something in stock. Having no issues with reliability on the Honda I was looking there but the only thing for standard/naked that peaked my interest was the cb650r which I've read is "boring". What are comparable from other mfgs? From my own poking around I was looking at MT07, F900R, SV650 or a Z900.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

doomisland posted:

Im getting an itch to get back to riding and was looking at something to replace the cb500r I have maybe in the spring or now before winter if bikes are having the same supply issues cars are if theres something in stock. Having no issues with reliability on the Honda I was looking there but the only thing for standard/naked that peaked my interest was the cb650r which I've read is "boring". What are comparable from other mfgs? From my own poking around I was looking at MT07, F900R, SV650 or a Z900.

The bikes you mention kind of straddle low and middle weight i.e. less and more than 100HP.
Anyway there's the Street Triple (which comes in various trims), the new Ducati Monster, KTM 790/890 Duke, Aprilia Tuono 660, Yamaha MT09.
Out of all those the Honda won't be the most fun to ride but it is very well made. The Yamahas will be a bit more crudely finished but still well-made. I've read about the Tuono having stickers that start peeling off at < 1000 miles.
The BMW F900 bikes are also regarded as boring and not really offering anything over other bikes.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah I was thinking the step up from ~50HP on what I have to ~100HP would be more than enough to ride back roads as I have been. The Ducati seems interesting and it helps there is a dealer with stock 2 miles from me but aren't there huge maintenance costs/issues with them or has that been resolved in the last few years. The Honda was nice since it was super easy to maintain and always ran without issues. This is mainly why I was leaning towards the Japanese manufacturers in general. Also I'm on the taller side at over 6' so not sure if that rules out any of the listed bikes I was thinking of getting. Need to get out and start sitting on them I think.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

doomisland posted:

MV Agusta Brutale 675/800 :shepspends: (I have a problem)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wait, tuono 660 what?
(Che problema? Non c'è problema.)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

doomisland posted:

Yeah I was thinking the step up from ~50HP on what I have to ~100HP would be more than enough to ride back roads as I have been. The Ducati seems interesting and it helps there is a dealer with stock 2 miles from me but aren't there huge maintenance costs/issues with them or has that been resolved in the last few years. The Honda was nice since it was super easy to maintain and always ran without issues. This is mainly why I was leaning towards the Japanese manufacturers in general. Also I'm on the taller side at over 6' so not sure if that rules out any of the listed bikes I was thinking of getting. Need to get out and start sitting on them I think.

Modern Ducatis are way less maintenance intensive than the old ones, but it's still not a Japanese bike. It's probably 'nicer' though imho the new Monster looks just like a Japanese bike from a distance. The Street Triple is available with really high-end components and is nicely finished, but Triumph reliability is iffy. My pick for a bike that'll be reliable, fun and Good Enough component wise is the MT09, or the SP version if you want something nicer. I'm biased as I've got an MT09 Tracer, but the engine is just amazing, very usable in traffic/at low revs yet still has a raw edge and will teleport you up to illegal speeds in no time. However you might find it just too ugly. The SV650 gets points for being a v-twin but it's just a more low-end bike, trading punches with the MT07.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've decided that getting 60+ mpg no matter how fast you drive and paying $6.70 to fill your gas tank is really nice. A++ would spend all my money again.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

doomisland posted:

Just a heads up the Z900 is more akin to the next rung above what you're comparing. It's heavier and claims 125hp / 73ft.lb torque. I've got one and it isn't a beast or anything, quite the opposite in day to day use but I figured I'd chime in and say the Z650 would be more in line with the other bikes you listed.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ooh

https://www.motoscout24.ch/de/d/suzuki-dr-z-400-2005-occasion?vehid=8844308

Is that an aftermarket headlamp? I thought they came with a boxy square one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yes it's a pretty common aftermarket swap

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/596884754830721/

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
:barf:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Momjeans, did you make some progress on your meth bike?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does that rear brake grab onto the wheel like a bicycle brake?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
"needs a starter and a little TLC" lmao

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Love the chain fender bracket on the belt drive bike

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

the more I look at it the more I find appalling, some of it has been pointed out, but really bent rebar "sub-frame" and foot pegs, the exhaust hacked off so it looks like it's pointing right at the oil filter...

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 6, 2021

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Howdy, so I'm doing my MSF in a couple of weeks and after that, assuming that it doesn't make me hate bikes forever, I would be looking for my first bike ever. I like the sound of dual sport and ADV riding: taking back roads and riding on the dirt and exploring. Unfortunately the good dirt trails are not close to me right now, and I won't have a car that can carry bikes until early next year, so I'll mostly be on the streets in the beginning. Any suggestions for a first bike that can do mild off-road but is comfy on the highway? The Versys X 300 seems like a good candidate so far but I wanted to ask around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr650.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Versus 300X was design and built for your exact requirements. Go for it

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nitrox posted:

Versus 300X was design and built for your exact requirements. Go for it

Thanks! Would the BMW G 310 GS or Honda CB500X be worth looking at too? My local dealer has a 310 on the floor. My concern with BMWs is that it sounds like maintenance is expensive and fiddly with them compared to Japanese bikes? Also the cast wheels like to dent I've heard. The Honda sounds nice but it's a bit bigger and heavier, for better and worse. Will probably cost a bit more too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Cb500x is more bike that you don't need. It's good to step up to from Versus in a year or two. BMW sucks, avoid. Where are you located?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks! Would the BMW G 310 GS or Honda CB500X be worth looking at too? My local dealer has a 310 on the floor. My concern with BMWs is that it sounds like maintenance is expensive and fiddly with them compared to Japanese bikes? Also the cast wheels like to dent I've heard. The Honda sounds nice but it's a bit bigger and heavier, for better and worse. Will probably cost a bit more too.

cast wheels are fine unless you’re jumping the bike, like really jumping it lol

500x is fine, but the versys would be better. or a DR650 if you want to have more confidence offroad

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nitrox posted:

Cb500x is more bike that you don't need. It's good to step up to from Versus in a year or two. BMW sucks, avoid. Where are you located?

Good to know re: BMW. I'm in south central Wisconsin, USA.

right arm posted:

cast wheels are fine unless you’re jumping the bike, like really jumping it lol

500x is fine, but the versys would be better. or a DR650 if you want to have more confidence offroad

OK good to know, Versys has spoked wheels anyway woot

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cast wheels aren't the issue, the made in India out of McDonald's trays is the issue.

Anyway imo if you get a versys 300 you can just get a normal bike because it won't do anything better than a normal bike off-road. If you want to do actual off-road, like not just gravel roads, you need an actual enduro like a DR.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

The cast wheels aren't the issue, the made in India out of McDonald's trays is the issue.

Anyway imo if you get a versys 300 you can just get a normal bike because it won't do anything better than a normal bike off-road. If you want to do actual off-road, like not just gravel roads, you need an actual enduro like a DR.

ya I’d think about what exactly you want to do and plan on doing. it’s way easier to ride a dirt bike on the street than it is to ride a street bike (or adv bike) on single and double track

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeah I like how fast I went from having never touched a bike to "poo poo I need two bikes." :negative: Sounds like that's pretty typical though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah I like how fast I went from having never touched a bike to "poo poo I need two bikes." :negative: Sounds like that's pretty typical though.

Working as intended

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

If the number of bikes you own is N, the ideal number is always N+1. You'll note this still holds up even if N is 0.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Check out the small dual sports, klx 300, crf300l etc.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Momjeans, did you make some progress on your meth bike?

The meth bike actually looks better than the above bike, amazingly enough. I'm just about to start on the bike, was working crazy hours from last fall until a few weeks ago, now I'm on vacation because my wife was not a huge fan of spending all summer in Bakersfield. My garage is small so since covid it's always been a battle between room to work out, room to work on the gixxer, and room for parts for my SUV. All my offroad parts for my SUV get installed next Monday, then I can finally work on the gixxer again. It's been on a battery tender but I haven't started it in over a year, I imagine I need to dump the old gas in there and get some fresh gas. It also sat on its brand new tires from December 2020 (when I took it off the stands so I could bring them to a track day for my D675) until July 2021, so hopefully I didn't give tires with literally 0 miles flat spots.

Speaking of what bike to buy, once I get home I'm going to start seriously looking at bikes. Top of my list is the hypermotard but then I feel like I have to get the SP version and holy poo poo is that expensive (even before taxes and dealer fees). My list of bikes I've been considering is pretty stupid and all over the place, as if I don't do the hypermotard I've also been looking at KLX300SMs (but I'm a big guy so DRZ probably better), DRZs (but I can just do a supermoto track day and rent one whenever, plus my friend has one), R7s, R3s, and even spent a few hours looking at doing a DR650 supermoto conversion (either a great idea or a very dumb one). I've been considering an acid gold RS 660 too even though I know how that will go. I guess I have a supermoto tendency so it's not too all over the place. I'm planning on doing a (go-kart) track day on a rented R3 soon so I'll at least get a feel for that bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

There a several comparos that have been popping up on my YouTube with the hypermotard vs yamaha mt09sp. Thr mt09 is a less fun more more liveable allegedly, with cruise control, more than 100mi of range etc.