Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

the holy poopacy posted:

When White Chain was first interrogating Allison she warned her "I know of the fourth syllable of Royalty."

So no, White Chain does not actually possess a syllable of Royalty but even having a glimmering of understanding of it is apparently super impressive and badass feat to try to intimidate someone with.

(Interestingly, the fourth syllable does appear to be Diamond, i.e. Salami Dave's syllable.)

quote:

Though you act like a fool and you have no devil's kisses...

Well, she's definitely corrected one of those things since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting that from

From her first introduction to Alison

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

the holy poopacy posted:

When White Chain was first interrogating Allison she warned her "I know of the fourth syllable of Royalty."

So no, White Chain does not actually possess a syllable of Royalty but even having a glimmering of understanding of it is apparently super impressive and badass feat to try to intimidate someone with.

(Interestingly, the fourth syllable does appear to be Diamond, i.e. Salami Dave's syllable.)

Right this was what I was remembering. Don't recall it being so hair splitting though. If it is slalom Dave's then lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

words and syllables aren't the same thing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh I see what's happening here. He's going to find Dave and Dave's key will already be gone, I'm guessing. Handed off to White Chain.

I like this idea, because it's also the perfect ending to Dave's bullshit. He's all "I'm the only one strong and wise enough to wield my power" and then the minute someone threatens to violently rip it out of him he chickens out and passes it to someone else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I like this idea, because it's also the perfect ending to Dave's bullshit. He's all "I'm the only one strong and wise enough to wield my power" and then the minute someone threatens to violently rip it out of him he chickens out and passes it to someone else.

His sin is pride. Finally letting go and allowing someone else to handle what he can't would be an entirely positive development. Selflessness, not cowardice.

Going down swinging against hopeless odds and letting his power be lost or destroyed would be the best evidence that he had learned nothing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
He'll do both.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

words and syllables aren't the same thing

The seven syllables of Royalty aka the holy Septagrammaton aka the Seven Part Name of God is YS ATUN VRAMA PRESH, which can be understood to mean "The Glory, The Tower, The Flame, The Diamond, The Blade, The Mind, The Beast". So in this context they kinda are, or the words and the syllables are both reflections of the same thing

YISUN also had 777777 secret names, each of which became the name of a god and ultimately from there each name became the key which resonated with a world. My interpretation is that the sum total of all the keys/secret names is the same as the seven part name, and the demiurges divided the worlds in such a way that each bore the keys which form a single complete word/syllable/sigil. In that way there's may be a difference between just knowing a word and bearing it.

It's vague and contradictory, I might be wrong. An excellently implemented theology.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 27, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be more "I just witnessed this rock turn into a woman through sheer force of will when she could have used that to actually harm me. Like 20 minutes later she turned into Voltron. Therefore she is the only individual worthy to take the power I've been trying to foist onto someone else for centuries and maybe save my homeworld which I deeply care for in my own hosed up way.

Also, I am missing both my arms and have a punctured lung so RIP my martial arts."

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

Also, I am missing both my arms and have a punctured lung so RIP my martial arts."

Considering the squish wizard and dps were intact I doubt the tank would have gotten off much worse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Considering the squish wizard and dps were intact I doubt the tank would have gotten off much worse.

It's the tank's job to get much worse, though.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Mammon was a shield tank, Dave is a dodge tank.

At least one of those wasn't the right pick for this raid boss fight.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

still waiting for a proper Cut

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Wait, I thought Jadis was a tank, too? Does this team even have a healer?

No wonder they got absolutely stomped, with such a poo poo comp.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

oobey posted:

Their healer fixed wounds with copious amounts of worms. Not the fault of the healer of nobody wants to let the worms do the work.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

oobey posted:

I think they were used to the overland content being trivially soloable, and they never eased into party roles more complex than "blitz and burn everything en masse"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

I think they were used to the overland content being trivially soloable, and they never eased into party roles more complex than "blitz and burn everything en masse"

yeah everyone's been soloing for centuries and they jumped straight to postgame raid content, to predictable results

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MikeJF posted:

The seven syllables of Royalty aka the holy Septagrammaton aka the Seven Part Name of God is YS ATUN VRAMA PRESH, which can be understood to mean "The Glory, The Tower, The Flame, The Diamond, The Blade, The Mind, The Beast". So in this context they kinda are, or the words and the syllables are both reflections of the same thing

YISUN also had 777777 secret names, each of which became the name of a god and ultimately from there each name became the key which resonated with a world. My interpretation is that the sum total of all the keys/secret names is the same as the seven part name, and the demiurges divided the worlds in such a way that each bore the keys which form a single complete word/syllable/sigil. In that way there's may be a difference between just knowing a word and bearing it.

It's vague and contradictory, I might be wrong. An excellently implemented theology.

The Secret Name of God is just "Glory-Flame"?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rhaka posted:

Mammon was a shield tank, Dave is a dodge tank.

At least one of those wasn't the right pick for this raid boss fight.

Mammon would've survived if he was an armor super demiurge

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh I see what's happening here. He's going to find Dave and Dave's key will already be gone, I'm guessing. Handed off to White Chain.

Count Uvula posted:

That would actually be a neat way to take things, and makes perfect sense :hmmyes:
It would make very little sense for Dave, who has refused to relinquish even the barest mote of control over his empire for uncounted eons, to suddenly decide this rando he met less than a day ago and who wanted him to leave his idiot sons in charge, is the best person to entrust with the key of kings at his empire's greatest moment of peril. It would be even more ridiculously Mary Sue.

E: Like, guy who's been a celestial tyrant for centuries running into a main character and suddenly saying "ah I am reminded of my long lost daughters! Have a power-up!" would not be great writing.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 27, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

You forgot the Checklist: Is he
A: A man [X]
B: A Horse [ ]

If either of these are ticked off he's not really going to be walking away from this fight intact. Incubus only survived because he's such a stinky boy that the sword slashes actually avoided him.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
...does this mean that mammon was a horse all along, and not a dog

i got a lot to think about now

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's Jagg's beef with horses anyway.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

What's Jagg's beef with horses anyway.

False marketing in French supermarkets.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

...does this mean that mammon was a horse all along, and not a dog

i got a lot to think about now

When you think about it, his entire species are like giant horse/camel lizards and he always has something he's carrying on his back.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Brought To You By posted:

When you think about it, his entire species are like giant horse/camel lizards and he always has something he's carrying on his back.
Had. Aint carrying nothing no more!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

It would make very little sense for Dave, who has refused to relinquish even the barest mote of control over his empire for uncounted eons, to suddenly decide this rando he met less than a day ago and who wanted him to leave his idiot sons in charge, is the best person to entrust with the key of kings at his empire's greatest moment of peril. It would be even more ridiculously Mary Sue.

E: Like, guy who's been a celestial tyrant for centuries running into a main character and suddenly saying "ah I am reminded of my long lost daughters! Have a power-up!" would not be great writing.

I think it's more that White Chain managed to use him as a springboard to do the first in a string of completely loving impossible things, his entire worldview has come crashing down around his ears both literally and metaphorically, and, well, he isn't exactly blessed with a surfeit of potential worthy successors at the moment who he might give his powers to before the Red-Eyed Heir kills and eats him.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Dead Reckoning posted:

feels like maaaybe that's not all that happened but yeah kinda

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm waiting for Jagganoth to come to a demiurge's body only to find out that someone else already ripped the key out.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Guy who explicitly has agreed to give his empire and key to an heir chosen by a certain tournament, gives that heir his key before getting pulped by Jagganoth, knowing he's going to get pulped by Jagganoth" would in fact be perfectly reasonable.

Solomon has never said a single word about his daughters and White Chain in the actual comic, only in goon fan-commentary on the comic.

But, y'know, if we ever need a weirdly reductive take on K6BD, we can always steer by Dead Reckoning.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm waiting for Jagganoth to come to a demiurge's body only to find out that someone else already ripped the key out.

Finally, Zaid's chance to show off what the True Heir can do

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kalli posted:

Finally, Zaid's chance to show off what the True Heir can do

I'm definitely up for him embracing his new career as the personal ring announcer for his ex-girlfriend and her harem-Voltron.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I feel like there's a "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" thing going on here, where Mottom has finally stopped being ruled by her fear of death because now it's staring her down. Solomon David realizing too late what he did not understand in the face of his manifest failures and doing what he should have done millennia ago would be fitting in that light. They'd always known what the threat was, Jagganoth or the Universal War, but they never really realized what it meant until they had the gun actually pointed at them.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think Davey giving away his key is totally plausible, he's a prideful dick but he's smart and much more practical than the others, and yeah he did lose to WC in his own big contest and he said he wants to give away his power (we all know he's lying at least a little bit here), so even though he's all about PRIDE I think he's not so far gone that he wouldn't see the writing on the wall about what's going to happen to him. If he was super maimed and about to die anyway it would be even easier to justify.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

But, y'know, if we ever need a weirdly reductive take on K6BD, we can always steer by Dead Reckoning.

Weirdly reductive and frankly offensive takes seem to be his whole thing. I don't know why someone who hates women that much would choose to read this comic of all the comics out there!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Precambrian posted:

I feel like there's a "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" thing going on here, where Mottom has finally stopped being ruled by her fear of death because now it's staring her down. Solomon David realizing too late what he did not understand in the face of his manifest failures and doing what he should have done millennia ago would be fitting in that light. They'd always known what the threat was, Jagganoth or the Universal War, but they never really realized what it meant until they had the gun actually pointed at them.

I think this is a good take on the current situation - every demiurge but Jagganoth was utterly stagnant and convinced things could continue forever in that stagnation. But after some thousands of years, the end has come, because that's Allison's role ("Everyone dies. Get over it.") and I'd be compelled by the various demiurges being briefly alive and cognizant before their awful deaths. Mammon stayed and fought; Mottom accepted death. Solomon David handing on his work to someone else and facing the Red God seems perfectly plausible.

And yeah Dead Reckoning's intense disdain for female protagonists is really coming through here, much like his intense disdain for Cio being a person.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

my dad posted:

He'll do both.

That seems plausible, actually. "I will use my ki rata to fight Jagganoth elsewhere and inevitably gently caress up and die. Defend Rayuba. Goodbye."

edit: also her tourney request before everything exploded was for him to step down, so it would be technically following his rules, the best kind of rule-following

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 28, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I have a hard time seeing this sequence of events being about the demiurges overcoming their paralyzing flaws, considering they're in this position because Gog-agog succumbed to crippling insecurity and Mottom lashed out in fear and contempt. Dave handing his key over is plausible (and fits with the War for Rayuba setup) but Jagganoth pulling Dave's key out through his butthole because Dave couldn't get over himself would be entirely on trend at this point.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

the holy poopacy posted:

I have a hard time seeing this sequence of events being about the demiurges overcoming their paralyzing flaws, considering they're in this position because Gog-agog succumbed to crippling insecurity and Mottom lashed out in fear and contempt. Dave handing his key over is plausible (and fits with the War for Rayuba setup) but Jagganoth pulling Dave's key out through his butthole because Dave couldn't get over himself would be entirely on trend at this point.

Less 'overcoming flaws' and more 'acting, rather than remaining paralyzed' - Mottom's flaws were far more extensive than 'fear of death' even if her fear of death was the driving force of her stagnation and her colonial empire.

She didn't change the whole empire situation, but she did meet death head on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Precambrian posted:

"if only there had been someone to slaughter the gods and topple their thrones every day of their lives"