Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Answers Me posted:

With Barry. Another example of apparent animosity between guests. All seems fine now, but it did get weirdly tetchy in that segment to the point where the other guests seemed to get quite uncomfortable with the tension

Barney seems to have a hard time judging when his contrarian schtick stops being clever-clever witty and devolves into plain and simple rudeness, so instead of naturally moving on from the subject he just sits on it, repeating the same thing over and over until everyone is either pissed off or awkwardly silent. Jonathan Wilson is immune to this by virtue of being cleverer than Barney and by constantly owning him whenever he starts his bullshit.

That said, Mark Langdon is quietly becoming one of my favourite guests, his insight tends to be pretty interesting and he's a good (and surprisingly funny) sport about his carnivorous habits. I'd much rather watch a sitcom written by him than whatever torturous, sub-Iannucci, sub-Brooker, wankery Ronay and Lieuw are cooking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

The witch's curse meltdown and it was great

If I remember correctly though, he was right. The "argument" was fun, though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mickolution posted:

If I remember correctly though, he was right. The "argument" was fun, though.

You say that but as far as I can tell there have been no signs to suggest any Witch's Curse on Spurs has been broken.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

You say that but as far as I can tell there have been no signs to suggest any Witch's Curse on Spurs has been broken.

I don't think Spurs being poo poo is a sign of witchcraft, tbh.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

IMO Ronay seems like a complete twat with an annoying voice and I generally don't listen to the pods he's on.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

https://twitter.com/fleetwhud/status/1418513952984739845?s=19

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Nice barry homeowner reference there

Haven't listened to an actual football podcast since the start of the pandemic and tbh I can't say I miss em lol

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 24, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Most recent Greatest Games podcast has Wilson in full on nitpicky Sunderland fan mode for those who get great joy out of such things (like me).

I had a good lol remembering that Jack Charlton story.

"It's not about the money, it's about the honor."

*looks at offer from Irish FA*

"It's not that much of a loving honor."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I listened to the whole podcast about pitches.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1425365892909703169?s=20

Looks like Max is moving down under, but will still host FW.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

britishbornandbread posted:

Stef has grown in confidence, you're right. I understand if you don't find him enjoyable, fair enough, but it think he lets Bubbins and Elis do their thing fine. I agree that it has probably reached its peak (nothing will top the stove story, or the coach to Wimbledon) but I am looking forward to the live show.

Been working my way through this one and got to the camping stove story. Thought I was going to die of second hand embarrassment or possibly laughter

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Raffles posted:

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1425365892909703169?s=20

Looks like Max is moving down under, but will still host FW.

What a combo, looking forward to it.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

the sex ghost posted:

Been working my way through this one and got to the camping stove story. Thought I was going to die of second hand embarrassment or possibly laughter

Couldn’t bear the thought of you eating cold beans.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Barry's "bon voyage" tweet is a thing of beauty: https://twitter.com/bglendenning/status/1429861754402746372?s=20

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Loved the embarrassment of going straight to fitba corner after earnestly explaining why we should donate money to the guardian.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Wilson's Ronaldo / Man United rant was top drawer

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Wilson's Ronaldo / Man United rant was top drawer

Here's his column on it from the weekend https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/aug/28/cristiano-ronaldo-held-juventus-back-just-what-is-that-manchester-united-see-in-him

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Also the guy who barry was with getting rung up by some guy from prison to take the piss over the arsenal score.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jippa posted:

Also the guy who barry was with getting rung up by some guy from prison to take the piss over the arsenal score.

gently caress that was a great bit.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Ronay's glib, aloof schtick is annoying at the best of times, but when the pod is trying to eulogise a fondly remembered player (Jimmy Greaves on today's ep) he comes across as an absolute prick.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Ach, I've softened on Ronay. My only real issue is that I cant separate him now from the football sit-com he's writing, so he constantly seems to be rehearsing some big long clever-clever joke.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Classic Matches about Oldham has some real classic stories and a definate must listen.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Simiain posted:

Ach, I've softened on Ronay. My only real issue is that I cant separate him now from the football sit-com he's writing, so he constantly seems to be rehearsing some big long clever-clever joke.

At least it won't be the worst football sitcom.

Moby_Dick
Apr 18, 2003

You'd think I've been riding the L all my life.
Football Weekly is great when Jordan Jarrett Bryan is on and Villa is doing well and he gets trolled/roasted for his Villa/Dean Smith hatred

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Moby_Dick posted:

Football Weekly is great when Jordan Jarrett Bryan is on and Villa is doing well and he gets trolled/roasted for his Villa/Dean Smith hatred

He's just absolutely miserable about everything. I particularly enjoyed his latest line on Villa where he now says he likes Villa but hates Villa fans and apparently Dean Smith is just fine now?

Also he's supposedly an Arsenal fan and was just moaning about the NLD the entire time.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I think Rushden calling him out on his Villa hate is the first time I’ve ever actually heard him press someone on anything - apart from being mean to Barry every time he’s on. It’s almost like he’s a journalist!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
As an Arsenal fan it is irritating that Villa fans have been giving it the big one recently. They did 'the double' over us last season and we foolishly sold them Martinez, fair enough. Every fanbase has a selection of pricks but Villa definitely have a few more than others.

That said, JJB is a clown.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I can't decide if he's putting it on or not. He's definitely overdoing it for effect, but it's a bit tedious at this stage.

Don't know about the Villa fans thing as I've pretty successfully cut any "football banter" poo poo out of my Twitter feed, but I would guess some piled on to him when he initially said he didn't rate them and it grew into a crusade against him.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

In a world that contains Arsenal fans, Chelsea fans, Millwall fans, Newcastle fans, Man Utd fans, etc, etc. Aston loving Villa fans dont even register. In the Toxic Fanbase league they're a mid-table non-entity (with David Cameron single-handedly saving them from relegation)

I keep writing out a post here and then deleting it because I dont wanna be one of those people that gets mad about podcasts, but holy poo poo JJB sucks arse. Any input he has is insubstantial guff and he tries to make up for his lack of knowledge by spouting off his lukewarm bloody takes. On the one hand he tries to laugh off his Aston Villa fixation as some kind of past-its-sell-by-date pantomime but then in the same breath he gets all butthurt about the Villa fans justly owning him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Simiain posted:

In a world that contains Arsenal fans, Chelsea fans, Millwall fans, Newcastle fans, Man Utd fans, etc, etc. Aston loving Villa fans dont even register. In the Toxic Fanbase league they're a mid-table non-entity (with David Cameron single-handedly saving them from relegation)

I keep writing out a post here and then deleting it because I dont wanna be one of those people that gets mad about podcasts, but holy poo poo JJB sucks arse. Any input he has is insubstantial guff and he tries to make up for his lack of knowledge by spouting off his lukewarm bloody takes. On the one hand he tries to laugh off his Aston Villa fixation as some kind of past-its-sell-by-date pantomime but then in the same breath he gets all butthurt about the Villa fans justly owning him.

Apparently they're still not as bad as (Birmingham) City fans lol.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I just googled jjb and I do have more respect for him now. He's lived a hell of a life and done some cool stuff.

Nothing that qualifies him for a regular slot on a football podcast, mind, or even an irregular one.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The Paul Merson interview on FW is grim, but a great listen.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

That Paul Merson pod WAS a grim listen.

Thank gently caress for Phillipe Auclair though, listening to him talk about the Saudi deal was a real antidote to the kind of shitposting bullshit that fragile and defensive newcastle fans have been spouting on this here very forum.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

The Paul Merson interview on FW is grim, but a great listen.

Meant to mention it last week. Absolutely some moments where Max has wondered if he could have done more or done something else.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Did you (or anyone else) watch the thing about him on BBC the other night? I missed it, but was wondering if it covers similar ground to the interview on FW.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Of course Jonathan "told you so" Wilson is on today's FW. :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wilson also with the on-point Big Lebowski reference.

[Edit] “Is that a Super Soaker he’s got as well?!”

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Haha everyone telling Max YEEEESSSSS when he asked if Simeone usually runs off when a game is done.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Haha everyone telling Max YEEEESSSSS when he asked if Simeone usually runs off when a game is done.

The episode post-credits moment was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't unsee the "3 things title" now while I'm browsing the guardian website. It's used so often.