Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Trivial, but you'd never be able to post it to the mod portal and keeping up with updates would be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

I know nothing about modding but how difficult would it be to take the space exploration mod and just make a 'space exploration without the bullshit' mod?

It depends on what you mean by bullshit; there are add-on mods that tweak recipes (like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LarkenxK2SETweaks for K2+SE) that I imagine should be sorta straightforward to do. But I assume that you can't change the teleport incompatibility thing for instance with another mod and doing things like "spaceships shouldn't need launch energy" or other things that mess with mechanics would probably be hard/impossible too.

Besides that method yeah as mentioned the SE license doesn't allow forks so you can't clone it and put a different version of it onto the mod portal.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I remember minecraft modders adding harmful code to their own mods to prevent people from using them in modpacks.

Or even the Industrialcraft developer sabotaging wiki pages that contained spoilers for content in his mod that he wanted people to discover on their own.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I ever make a game the built-in mod repo is going to require you to pick from GPL, MIT or CC licenses, along with a rider license specifically forbidding intentionally interfering with other mods for this specific reason.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

KillHour posted:

If I ever make a game the built-in mod repo is going to require you to pick from GPL, MIT or CC licenses, along with a rider license specifically forbidding intentionally interfering with other mods for this specific reason.

This is basically the ksp one and it helped the game so loving much.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Nalesh posted:

Its also had the odd (though very helpful) side effect of causing basically every outdated mod to be adopted by one or two people.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Sounds like all these modders were orginally minecraft modders.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nalesh posted:

Yeah, KSP set up all that specifically as a response to one or two bad actors pulling poo poo like this instead of, you know, hiring them

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starsector does that too with it's mods, and they are so much better for. The moding community for that is so goddamn cooperative to the point of that they actively try to balance their stuff with other mods in mind.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

KillHour posted:

Yeah if I ever release a modding API for a game I make the headers are going to be GPL'd lol

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Inglonias posted:

This loud Australian man has posted the highlights for a (still ongoing, apparently) heavily modded playthrough of Factorio. I enjoy this sort of content. Maybe you will too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZcqJb5qHrU

More importantly, it has gotten me to play Factorio again, which is always dangerous for me because I tend to open the game, put on some noise in the background (usually a youtube playlist), and then look up half an hour later to discover that nine hours have passed.

is there a modlist for this somewhere?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Nalesh posted:

The Space Exploration addon comes with a bunch of dependencies. I'm not sure if that's his entire list, but it could be most of it.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/space-exploration/downloads

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nalesh posted:

As far as I can tell its essentially the top ~20 mods (+ their dependencies) that don't also break compaditiblity with SpaceX

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah makes sense

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 26, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Inglonias posted:

This loud Australian man has posted the highlights for a (still ongoing, apparently) heavily modded playthrough of Factorio. I enjoy this sort of content. Maybe you will too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZcqJb5qHrU

More importantly, it has gotten me to play Factorio again, which is always dangerous for me because I tend to open the game, put on some noise in the background (usually a youtube playlist), and then look up half an hour later to discover that nine hours have passed.

That's pretty fantastic but if I started a project like that I'd be in space somewhere in March next year :v:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Nalesh posted:

The guy got a lot of requests for the list and finally posted it yesterday.

code:
Todo List
AAI - 
    Container
    Industry
    Programmable Structures
    Programmable Vehicles
    Signal Transmission
    Signals

Vehicles:   Chaingunner
                            Flame Tank
                            Flame Tumbler
                            Hauler
                            Laser Tank
                            Miner
                            Warden

Actual Craft Times Remade
Afraid of the Dark (Enforced Personal Lights + more)
Alien Biomes
Alien Biomes High-Res Terrain
Armour-MK4
Armoured Biters
Base Mod
Belt Balancer
Bob's Functions Library Mod
Bright Lamp
Bullet Trails
Cargo Ships
Combat Mechanics Overhaul
Deadlock's Stacking Beltboxes&Compact Loaders
Deadlock Mod Integration
Dragon Industries - Nauvis Division
Endgame Combat
Enhanced Map Colors
Epic Artillery Sounds
Equipment Gantry
Even Distribution
Explosive Termites
EzLib
Factorio Library
Factorio Standard Library
Factorissiomo 2
Fill4Me
Flow Control
GDIW - Gah! DarnitWater
Grappling Gun
Gun Equipment
Honk
Induction Charging
Information
Jetpack
Natural Evolution Enemies (fixed)
Nightfall
Orbital Ion Cannon (SE Edition)
Portals
Power Armor MK3
Quality of Life Research
Quick Item Search
Rampant Arsenal
Rate Calculator
RitnLib
Robot Attrition
Robot Battery Research
Schall Endgame Evolution
Searchlight
Shield Projector

Space Exploration - 
    Personal Fusion reactor delay fix
    Extra Items
    Graphics:     Part 1
                          Part 2
                          Part 3
                          Part 4
                          Part 5
    Hr Graphics (optional)
    Pipe quality of life improvements
    Postprocesses (Required)
    Recycling Extras
    Science Re-Scaling
    Simplified
    Substation Replacement

Squeak Through
Stasis Mine
Stats GUI
Supersonic High Speed Train
VehicleSnap
Waterfill

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I really wanna do a playthrough where there's no non AAI miners, basically making it a more CnC kinda thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm getting the itch again. I enjoy making complicated, twisty little factories, rather than the giant industrial mega-scale factories, and I recall there was an overhaul mod that leaned more in that direction. Py something? Pyblock? Sea block??

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Solumin posted:

I'm getting the itch again. I enjoy making complicated, twisty little factories, rather than the giant industrial mega-scale factories, and I recall there was an overhaul mod that leaned more in that direction. Py something? Pyblock? Sea block??

Pyanodons mods are probably the most complicated way to play the game, but Seablock comes in a close second.

Pyanodons makes everything massively more complicated to make.

Seablock you start out in the middle of an ocean and have to make your own land, and it includes Bob's and Angel's mod packs which also make everything a lot more complicated to make, but not quite as complicated as Pyanodons.

I've never tried Pyanodons as Seablock was over the top for me and I bounced off of it fairly early.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Solumin posted:

When I tried Seablock, I found it quite slow. There's a ton of constraints on your production, in a way that you can't just build your way out of, so it's pretty easy to find yourself stuck having to sit there just waiting for things, unable to build.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Vizuyos posted:

When I tried Seablock, I found it quite slow. There's a ton of constraints on your production, in a way that you can't just build your way out of, so it's pretty easy to find yourself stuck having to sit there just waiting for things, unable to build.

Yes, once you get your initial landfill production up, you just leave it running overnight while you sleep in order to have enough landfill to expand.

Seablock is not for the impatient.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seablock is Factorio Cookie Clicker.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You could give Nullius a try as well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tamba posted:

Never heard of that one before. Looks like quite a spin on the game!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tamba posted:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/nullius

This sounds really cool and I'm going to give it a try!

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm in kind of the same boat as the earlier poster, but I like mega factories and overly complex setups that will haunt my dreams. Should I go with angel/bobs, pyanodon, or just jump in the deep end and go with all three?

I'm looking for something I can work on for a while so if it would take a long time to get though that's fine with me.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

diremonk posted:

I'm in kind of the same boat as the earlier poster, but I like mega factories and overly complex setups that will haunt my dreams. Should I go with angel/bobs, pyanodon, or just jump in the deep end and go with all three?

I'm looking for something I can work on for a while so if it would take a long time to get though that's fine with me.

Looking at what you've posted, I'd try angel/bobs. I got a few dozen fun hours out of it, then a dozen less-fun hours, then I quit around the point I fully completed module tech.

My most complex vanilla base got to about 250 spm, tweaked upward from 150, and I abandoned expanding it after building out enough solar to support 1,500 spm. You seem to be a step or two ahead of that so you might enjoy angel/bobs the whole way through. The various ore refining pathways are a thrilling nightmare.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

diremonk posted:

No idea if it will help, but the guy who wrote the TSM mod has been playing a Seablock game and is up to episode 267 (and his episodes are 1 hour or more long typically) if you want to poke through his episodes to see how complicated Angel/Bob's is, as part of the Seablock mod pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9g8Q2kIPZE

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Going from base factorio to Seablock is like going from weed to heroin. Turn back save yourself I'm too far gone.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

The Locator posted:

No idea if it will help, but the guy who wrote the TSM mod has been playing a Seablock game and is up to episode 267 (and his episodes are 1 hour or more long typically) if you want to poke through his episodes to see how complicated Angel/Bob's is, as part of the Seablock mod pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9g8Q2kIPZE

Oh dear, I haven't touched my Seablock in a number of months and I still can point out the glaring problem with his plastic production in this latest video: relying on swamp trees for it. It's fine to bootstrap with in the early stages of Seablock when you're constrained on space and have grabbed a couple from the islands because the processing steps are relatively easy. But once you're into needing industrial scale amounts you're better off going through farms for Plastic I tech (no additional external inputs) then the petrochem production chains once Plastic II and III techs are available. Syngas becomes the origin gas you build production in bulk to ship to other areas so it can be converted to the hydrocarbon liquid/gas you're needing.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I've spent a lot of time just playing Factorio with some quality of life mods. I finally finished a train base that could sustain 2700 SPM (1 full blue belt) and decided that Krastorio 2 would be a nice break to get back into the spirit of the spaghetti. I really like it and it seems like a good compromise of new stuff/production lines and keeping everything the same enough that I don't get too confused. I would highly recommend the Recipe book mod or FNEI or any of the other mods that tell you what materials are used for and what recipes can make them, because the liquids and gasses do get complicated pretty fast.

If I finish this one before the expansion comes out then maybe I'll go into space exploration next.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

K2 is a great mod, and the K2 > SpaceEx game I played was incredibly fun. I didn’t get to building ships, but I had delivery-cannon outposts on two moons and a planet, plus Nauvis, supplying an incredibly-enormous and constantly-growing platform in Nauvis orbit.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

palamedes posted:

Looking at what you've posted, I'd try angel/bobs. I got a few dozen fun hours out of it, then a dozen less-fun hours, then I quit around the point I fully completed module tech.

My most complex vanilla base got to about 250 spm, tweaked upward from 150, and I abandoned expanding it after building out enough solar to support 1,500 spm. You seem to be a step or two ahead of that so you might enjoy angel/bobs the whole way through. The various ore refining pathways are a thrilling nightmare.

I've been playing mostly on K2 and enjoying it, but I guess I just want something more. I gave Space Ex and Industrial Revolution a shot but didn't really like them too much. This is my current game of K2, probably should pave everything but since it is just waiting on the transceiver to charge it seems like a waste.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What's with mods extending the length of the worst phase of the game, when you have to use burner tech? Just started on space exploration and bypassing that stuff now takes hundreds of red science for some reason.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Because having to plumb coal around is a neat logistical puzzle, and the whole point of the game is solving logistical puzzles. In vanilla it's entirely pointless because you'd need to rip it up almost immediately, so a lot of megamods extend that phase so that you can actually solve the puzzle without it feeling like a total waste of time to do so.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah, the ask "Factorio, but more," has a variety of potential interpretations and one of the big ones is "what if burner stuff didn't feel completely like a waste?"

Of course, there are two broad approaches to this: "more burner phase" or "no burner phase"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah, the ask "Factorio, but more," has a variety of potential interpretations and one of the big ones is "what if burner stuff didn't feel completely like a waste?"

Of course, there are two broad approaches to this: "more burner phase" or "no burner phase"

The trick that many mods don't successfully address is "more burner phase and it's actually engaging".

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It's a lot easier to add time to a game by making everything take longer than by adding more to do, so why bother actually coming up with new stuff when you can just make every step slow as hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah this is kinda the qualitative difference between modding, where you're playing in someone else's sandbox trying to use their toys in different configurations, and developing your own game, where you can add whatever you like