Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spike is going to smoke. Quit making poo poo up

https://youtu.be/Yq2N-9EmedA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would never make up stuff about my my friend spike and he’s on the patch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Supposedly it's quite good

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ah A film centered on the internal and endless struggle of all humans. Is my current glass prescription strong enough, or should I go to the optometrist and see if I need to get a stronger prescription.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

dr_rat posted:

Ah A film centered on the internal and endless struggle of all humans. Is my current glass prescription strong enough, or should I go to the optometrist and see if I need to get a stronger prescription.

It's about the time that a company gave an entire town mercury poisoning, and the photographer who exposed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqSUlQ9Oekw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Supposedly it's quite good

Johnny Depp tho

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Johnny Depp is just the set dressing, the real star is Minolta. Cameras so nice the dude bought two of them!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Johnny Depp tho

He was fine in City of Lies.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember my cousin complaining sometime back about shots of men peeing. Independence Day was one I remember her complaining about, but at the time she had a list and started rattling them off.

Tom hanks’ thing is peeing in his movies right? If memory serves he pees in Forrest gump,and in Green mile he can’t pee until the magic man sucks the blockage out,that’s how it happened right?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A League of Their Own too

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He pees for half an hour in League of Their Own while Madonna times it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The opportunity for him to piss in the Carley Rae Jepsen video was there, but it was wasted!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

He was fine in City of Lies.

He’s a stinky man

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Tom hanks’ thing is peeing in his movies right? If memory serves he pees in Forrest gump,and in Green mile he can’t pee until the magic man sucks the blockage out,that’s how it happened right?

I guess that's who poisoned the water hole

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
No, Woody, no!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I randomly unlocked a memory of this movie at work today and while I simply cannot find a higher resolution picture of the poster, I need to know if I'm the only one Game Informer scammed into seeing this turd.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Waffleman_ posted:

I randomly unlocked a memory of this movie at work today and while I simply cannot find a higher resolution picture of the poster, I need to know if I'm the only one Game Informer scammed into seeing this turd.

I downloaded a copy at one point from Limewire or Kazaa or whatever at the time… watched a few minutes of it, if that helps you any

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Frankie Muniz plays a character named Swink.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I've seen it, I think. I get it mixed up with the remake of how to make a monster.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like, the first act sets it up as like Nightmare on Elm Street with a video game, with the characters dying in the way they die in the game, but then by the second act, people are just dying randomly and it entirely forgets there's a video game in the third act while it focuses on a New Orleans ghost.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh man, I remember renting this when I worked at Hollywood Video. I literally don't remember anything else about it. But there was a knock off called Gamebox 1.0 or something equally dumb that was direct to video around the same time.

Oh god the cover is as bad I remembered

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffleman_ posted:

this is where 'you die in the game you die in real life' is from, isn't it? one of those phrases that just seemed to appear out of nowhere

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

flatluigi posted:

this is where 'you die in the game you die in real life' is from, isn't it? one of those phrases that just seemed to appear out of nowhere

It's a very basic concept that speaks to all of humanity on a primal level. I don't think you can credit a single source for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

flatluigi posted:

It might be, this was 2006. But also this movie didn't seem to have much of an impact, I think its entire marketing budget was the one Game Informer story.

The best part is the Game Informer article said there would be an actual game based on the one in the movie for the DVD release and

Well

Nah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But also, in a more correct way, yes it’s from that movie.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Waffleman_ posted:

I never saw it, but I do remember GI mentioning in a fan mail response that they had made a mock-up cover issue about the titular game that was used as a prop/set dressing in the movie. Don't remember any article about it, though I do remember that the game footage shown in the trailer looked like it's graphics were outclassed by Resident Evil.

surprised to hear that it drops the video game concept entirely late in the plot, though. You'd think that a third act about needing to "hack" the game or some dumb CSI-tier understanding of how video games work would be obvious for this kind of poo poo.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 28, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffleman_ posted:

I saw it opening night as a young teenager with a theater filled with young teenagers. It was horrible and boring but i made a joke and people laughed so yey

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gripweed posted:

It's a very basic concept that speaks to all of humanity on a primal level. I don't think you can credit a single source for it.

I remember reading the comic strip 'COMPUTER WARRIOR' in 1985 which ran on this as a central concept

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Warrior

The wiki page is slightly incorrect - you only got sent to the 'nightmare zone' on losing once you had proved yourself by winning some games, losing before then just meant you were dead IRL

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

flatluigi posted:

That's the beauty of it! It doesn't do anything!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Aphrodite posted:

But also, in a more correct way, yes it’s from that movie.

I didn't remember the name of the movie, but I remember very frequently seeing a commercial for a movie where a character utters that exact phrase. I always thought it felt very on the nose, explaining a concept we've all seen hundreds of times as if it were a new thing. I guess it must've been this.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
The main thing that stood out to me about Stay Alive was that they used a mythologized version of Elizabeth Báthory as the in-universe game's Big Bad. I think that combined with the "YOU DIE IN THE GAME, YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE!!" concept was enough to vaguely unsettle my 14-year-old brain when it came out but like. In retrospect it was definitely B-movie tier

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

'If you die in the game, you die for real' is the movie quote and 'life' kind of got added on the end there by repetition. Also apparently it's not even in the movie, just the trailer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's just a riff on "If you die in the dream, you die for real."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can we talk about the new artwork for the LA Story anniversary blu-ray?

I mean, I know it's not a film that's ever had particularly good art linked to it, but ouch. I like the non-backwards reflection in the 20? 60? year old Steve Martin's glasses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can viscerally feel the difference in resolution between Steve's face and the glasses they photoshopped on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought you were all talking about the movie Staying Alive and I was really loving confused. Like how are they not even mentioning the best Frank Stallone song?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, I know it's not a film that's ever had particularly good art linked to it, but ouch. I like the non-backwards reflection in the 20? 60? year old Steve Martin's glasses.

Why is it nighttime in downtown LA but seemingly still late afternoon wherever Steve Martin is standing?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Because the sun sets in the west

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lastory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

EL BROMANCE posted:

Steve Martin has been old my entire life. He has not aged a day.

E: I guess he wears glasses now