Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Bear in mind, Mr. Meany is also a staunch Union Man, who considers it a very big deal that actors are not exploited by the bosses in any production, so if he did include some sort of 'don't profit off my likeness' thing in his contract, it could be tied into that (correct) ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

heres that dipshit trashing star trek to Meany

https://youtu.be/ciEkqYOaS80

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

heres that dipshit trashing star trek to Meany

https://youtu.be/ciEkqYOaS80

Yeah that was it!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

here he is talking about DS9 and he does seem really bored with it. I think he just prefers more standard dramas. he mentions earlier on he really loves the show Ozark. In another interview he talks about how he never was into Science Fiction and had no real exposure to it until he was in Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80IoTUNDg4k&t=1146s

edit: Colm says he never watched the finale of DS9 or TNG in that interview. I don't think he even watched the show at all.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 27, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's fine if he did or didn't care about/for it, I just think it was kind of silly to come to the conclusions that he would specifically block his likeness from being used, or that he's somehow too expensive to bring back for another Trek show if they really wanted him.

He put in an excellent performance across 2 sci-fi shows and he doesn't actively poo poo on Trek, that's good enough for me!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Seems more pertinent that people just didn't really make any DS9 video games, or if they made Trek video games they got Patrick Stewart and maybe some of the other captains.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alchenar posted:

Seems more pertinent that people just didn't really make any DS9 video games, or if they made Trek video games they got Patrick Stewart and maybe some of the other captains.
I think there were only two...the sidescroller game for the SNES and the PC game The Fallen

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

There was another DS9 game for the PC before The Fallen but I don't remember much about it, other than it was kind of a mystery/adventure game thing set very early on, probably during the first season, and it wasn't very good.

That SNES platformer was also on the Genesis, but unlike the TNG game I don't think there were any weird differences between the two versions.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Harbinger? That was a point and click adventure set between seasons 3 and 4, and had most of the cast doing voice work.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DS9 really lends itself to something too. It works so well as a hub, obviously, for missions/quests.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Its perfectly okay for any actor in any TV show to dislike the show they’re acting in (or come to dislike it later) for any reason as long as it doesn’t impact their performance. The same is true for being indifferent to the show or only liking it a little bit or simply forgotten enough about it to no longer have an opinion.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

one other thing that was funny from the Meaney interviews. He talks about not enjoying the technobabble and sometimes having trouble woth it In order to make it easier for the editors, if he wasnt sure about a line he would turn his face away from the camera so they could more easily splice in another take.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Near as I can tell from Memory Alpha, there were only 4 DS9 games. First was the side-scroller adventure game Crossroads of Time in 1995, then the adventure game Harbinger in 1996. Then after a few years we got the third-person action-adventure shooter The Fallen in 2000 and finally 2001 brought us Dominion Wars, a lackluster naval combat sim. The weird thing is all of these were published directly by a Viacom subsidiary; Harbinger was published by Viacom New Media, which was amalgamated into Virgin back in 1997, while The Fallen and Dominion Wars were published by Simon and Schuster Interactive. The only exception is Crossroads of Time, which was done by the short-lived game publishing division of Playmates Toys, of all things. I guess no one was interested in the DS9 license in the 1990s.

Zaroff posted:

Harbinger? That was a point and click adventure set between seasons 3 and 4, and had most of the cast doing voice work.
I occasionally check in on a blog that's been reading through the Trek novelverse right from the beginning, and one thing they've noted with the DS9 novels of the 1990s is that a number of them seem to be crammed in that gap between seasons 3 and 4. I guess the retooling with "The Way of the Warrior" caught the editors and writers off-guard, and they had to cram books that would have come out during the fourth and fifth seasons in that period to avoid explaining why Worf wasn't there or why the political situation is different. (Come to think of it, I remember something like that happening in a later Voyager novel where all the characters kept referring to the Delta Flyer as "the shuttle", as if the writer was told a new shuttle was being introduced but no other details.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

one other thing that was funny from the Meaney interviews. He talks about not enjoying the technobabble and sometimes having trouble woth it In order to make it easier for the editors, if he wasnt sure about a line he would turn his face away from the camera so they could more easily splice in another take.

It's a shame the 90s still had a dirty word taboo for television because O'Brien would totally go "poo poo's broken, I don't fukkin' know!" when Sisko asked him what status of the starboard deuterium intermix chambers was.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes i forgot about Dominion Wars. I remember being excited for that game and then it was a buggy mess.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I occasionally check in on a blog that's been reading through the Trek novelverse right from the beginning, and one thing they've noted with the DS9 novels of the 1990s is that a number of them seem to be crammed in that gap between seasons 3 and 4. I guess the retooling with "The Way of the Warrior" caught the editors and writers off-guard, and they had to cram books that would have come out during the fourth and fifth seasons in that period to avoid explaining why Worf wasn't there or why the political situation is different. (Come to think of it, I remember something like that happening in a later Voyager novel where all the characters kept referring to the Delta Flyer as "the shuttle", as if the writer was told a new shuttle was being introduced but no other details.)

A lot of the 90s novels were clearly being rushed out with writers only being given vague outlines as to what was coming up - I remember the first few Voyager novels all referred to the Doctor as "Doctor Zimmerman", and one of the early DS9 novels had a plot that relied on the idea that ships needed special shielding to go through the wormhole or their engines would destabilize it. In both cases, these were ideas that were part of the show's original pitch, but were dropped by the time it made it to air.

(For that matter, there was a Babylon 5 novel from the same era where bad editing meant Sheridan was referred to as Sinclair for half a paragraph - obviously they'd just done a find and replace when the cast changed...)

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

A lot of the 90s novels were clearly being rushed out with writers only being given vague outlines as to what was coming up - I remember the first few Voyager novels all referred to the Doctor as "Doctor Zimmerman", and one of the early DS9 novels had a plot that relied on the idea that ships needed special shielding to go through the wormhole or their engines would destabilize it. In both cases, these were ideas that were part of the show's original pitch, but were dropped by the time it made it to air.

(For that matter, there was a Babylon 5 novel from the same era where bad editing meant Sheridan was referred to as Sinclair for half a paragraph - obviously they'd just done a find and replace when the cast changed...)
The extreme example of this would be the first TNG novel, Ghost Ship. All Diane Carey had to work with was the initial series bible before "Encounter at Farpoint" aired, so it feels very strange even by the standards of early TNG novels.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I remember the characterization on the early DS9 novels being really wonky, and something like book #3 being "an alien death squad from the Gamma Quadrant graphically murders everyone on the station except Odo and Quark who were trapped in a time anomaly" was quite the introduction to things

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There was also a DS9 novel where a changeling came to the station and started killing people and Odo had to catch them. One of the murders was the changeling forcing themself down the throat of a Cardassian I think and then expanding.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

oh THAT's why i remember the Doctor as Doctor Zimmerman, thank you!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

also because the guy that invented the EMH and modeled it after himself is in fact a man named doctor zimmerman. he tries to gently caress leeta in the episode where bashir has to reveal that hes autistic genetically enhanced

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There’s early promotional material that calls him Zimmerman, too. I wonder how late in the process the writers decided the Doctor shouldn’t have a real name, because it’s such a core part of his early characterization that I’m floored that it didn’t start out like that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a shame the 90s still had a dirty word taboo for television because O'Brien would totally go "poo poo's broken, I don't fukkin' know!" when Sisko asked him what status of the starboard deuterium intermix chambers was.
"Bollocks!"

(It's such a mild swear, but it was still startling to hear it on British TV before 9pm.)

Edit: there was a Charmed tie-in novel that got the name of one of the lead characters wrong on the very first page.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 28, 2021

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

thotsky posted:

For some reason my headcanon was that Siddig quit acting after DS9 and became a Persian prince or something.

You might be thinking of him in Syriana?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blastron posted:

There’s early promotional material that calls him Zimmerman, too. I wonder how late in the process the writers decided the Doctor shouldn’t have a real name, because it’s such a core part of his early characterization that I’m floored that it didn’t start out like that.

IIRC the plan was never that he'd always be Zimmerman, but rather that he'd start without a name, but end up picking Zimmerman within the first season or so.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It sounds like Colm Meaney has a very healthy concept of work/life balance that a lot of people could stand to learn from!

blastron posted:

I too remember him being called Doctor Zimmerman in early promo material. I was absolutely lapping that stuff up, before I saw what the show would actually turn out to be like.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

I too remember him being called Doctor Zimmerman in early promo material. I was absolutely lapping that stuff up, before I saw what the show would actually turn out to be like.

Oh cool, you were around and cognizant when it first aired? So what did you think? Did you hate it?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Somewhere along the way, I thought he was going to pick the name Richard.

So they could literally have Tom, Dick, and Harry.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That would have been funny. Especially if you had them point out what "dick" connotes and that clinches the Doctor's selection

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Payndz posted:

"Bollocks!"

(It's such a mild swear, but it was still startling to hear it on British TV before 9pm.)

Edit: there was a Charmed tie-in novel that got the name of one of the lead characters wrong on the very first page.

The Back to the Future novelization is absolutely insane, and ryan north has a great writeup on it

https://btothef.tumblr.com/tagged/bttf/chrono

If you were writing the first words of a novel version of Back to the Future, how would you do it? Maybe you’d introduce the concept of time being important, like the film did with all them crazy clocks. Maybe instead you’d introduce Marty and Doc, show who they are and what their relationship is. Well, anyway, you’re totally wrong!

The correct answer is to KILL EVERYBODY.

quote:

Here, in the living room of a peaceful house in the suburbs, a typical family sits quietly. Dad reads the evening paper, unaware that disaster is about to strike. Mom cleans the dinner dishes, oblivious to the fact that in a few seconds their world will be reduced to a whirlwind of splinters and atomized debris. The children are in their rooms, doing their homework, little knowing that only a few moments of life are left to them, that they will never have to worry about homework again. The mightiest force ever created by man is about to be unleashed on them and there is nothing on earth they can do about it…

Five…four…three…two…one…

A second later, there was a flash of white and the unnamed family were enveloped in a surge of power that tore their tiny frames to pieces, bending them curiously out of shape before separating bodies from heads, arms from torsos, legs from abdomens. The solid-looking house simply crumpled into thin shreds of pulp and instantly ignited into raveling avalanche of flame. A wind-tunnel effect then whisked the body parts and wreckage of furniture and plaster into a horrible whirling mass that was sucked into the tortured atmosphere.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tunicate posted:

The Back to the Future novelization is absolutely insane, and ryan north has a great writeup on it

If you were writing the first words of a novel version of Back to the Future, how would you do it? Maybe you’d introduce the concept of time being important, like the film did with all them crazy clocks. Maybe instead you’d introduce Marty and Doc, show who they are and what their relationship is. Well, anyway, you’re totally wrong!

is this Rick & Morty

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume it was working off the old screenplay where the time machine was a fridge and he got the power to go back to the future by exposing it to a nuclear test? I remember reading that script a while ago. It suuuuuuuucked.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

is this Rick & Morty

In a way, yes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I assume it was working off the old screenplay where the time machine was a fridge and he got the power to go back to the future by exposing it to a nuclear test? I remember reading that script a while ago. It suuuuuuuucked.

Poasibly, but the novelization has the delorean and lightning, so there's this big nuclear nonsequitar

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, maybe it got written based on the earlier version then adjusted to the new one and has artifacts left in it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh my god, I just got to the bit where Strickland is crushing confiscated Walkmen in a vice and I remembered: I used to own that book. :stare:

Having written both novels and screenplays I know how much you have to chop from the former to make them into the latter... and how much you have to pad out the latter to convert them to the former. Strickland becoming the sadistic Destroyer of Personal Property is deffo an example of that.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 28, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mokotow posted:

Oh cool, you were around and cognizant when it first aired? So what did you think? Did you hate it?

I wanted to like it and eventually gave up. Still haven't seen a bunch of it.

It didn't help that there were times it was literally competing against DS9 in my market. I probably gave it an earnest second chance after DS9 ended (I know I saw the season where 7 of 9 was introduced) but fell off again not too long after that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mokotow posted:

It was very underwhelming. I remember watching episode 2 when it aired when they had to smash through a hole in the event horizon and being mad that the science was so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Tunicate posted:

This is a fantastic read, thanks for the link.