Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, no, you're right, I was off base. I just checked the wiki article, they had been working on a new album but they tossed the contributions Bon made before he died, cause they didn't want to feel like they were profiting off his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe we just ran in different circles, but AC/DC seemed to have a flatline of generic "classic rock" popularity for the past 3 decades. I always remember Back in Black being a thing. By the time Marvel got to it, it was almost kind of a punchline. Like a slightly more modern version of using "Bad to the Bone" when a guy puts on sunglasses.

Yeah, at least in the U.S., AC/DC has been on classic rock radio for over 30 years and appearing in TV and movies long before Marvel. They’ve basically always been in that kinda classic rock/dad rock category where you could buy shirts with their logo or Back in Black in any random Walmart or Target or wherever for the past 20+ years and the Simpsons were using Highway to Hell in episodes in the late 90s.

For something I just figured out (Or rather, just realized): Montell Jordan and Montel Williams are two different people.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

In the 1987 film Amazon Women on the Moon, there is a man that introduces himself as B.B. King.

What I just figured out is that It is not an actor playing B.B. King, it is the real B.B. King.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
One of the most personally significant memories of my teenage years is showing up a bit early to Freshman orientation just before starting high school, sitting down in the gym, and listening in as a group of kids listened to Smells Like Teen Spirit on a cassette tape. It would be easy exaggerate here, but it really did feel like something in the larger world was changing as I entered a new phase of life.

Except that didn't happen. Nevermind came out 30 years ago today after I'd already been in high school for a few weeks. Maybe I heard it somewhere else and had a similar reaction, but it just seems less poignant that way.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

One of the most personally significant memories of my teenage years is showing up a bit early to Freshman orientation just before starting high school, sitting down in the gym, and listening in as a group of kids listened to Smells Like Teen Spirit on a cassette tape. It would be easy exaggerate here, but it really did feel like something in the larger world was changing as I entered a new phase of life.

Except that didn't happen. Nevermind came out 30 years ago today after I'd already been in high school for a few weeks. Maybe I heard it somewhere else and had a similar reaction, but it just seems less poignant that way.

Nevermind came out today, but Smells Like Teen Spirit was released as a single on the 10th

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Garrand posted:

Nevermind came out today, but Smells Like Teen Spirit was released as a single on the 10th

Yeah the reverse happened to me young.

The first song I remember being BRAND NEW on the radio (cus the DJ said so) was Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy.

Up until that point my 3 year old brain had thought all music was performed live and the DJ's intro was the revelation that songs were recorded and PLAYED BACK on the radio and that the DJ's were the "live" part of "live radio".

Oh God :corsair:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I only just now learned that malt is straight up made from seeds that have started germinating and are then dried. I knew it had something to do with grains, but figured it was some entirely external addition. This feels like when I learned a few years ago that hops were flowers added to beer rather than some byproduct of brewing like I'd vaguely assumed all my life.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Captain Hygiene posted:

I only just now learned that malt is straight up made from seeds that have started germinating and are then dried. I knew it had something to do with grains, but figured it was some entirely external addition. This feels like when I learned a few years ago that hops were flowers added to beer rather than some byproduct of brewing like I'd vaguely assumed all my life.

Brewing is ridiculously interesting if you start to dive into the history of it. The Brewer’s Tale by Bostwick is a really well written overview and it’s short enough to not wear out it’s stay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

Brewing is ridiculously interesting if you start to dive into the history of it.

This is ironic, considering people who are really into brewing become ridiculously uninteresting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For years I thought the woman on the L.A. Confidential poster was Nicole Kidman (I haven't seen the movie). I only just now learned that it's Kim Basinger.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The history of vodka distilling, consumption and regulation in Russia through the Tsarist days all the way to today is pretty wild.

e;
That meme where a guy has those big white dominos set up and the little domino is titled "The Spaniards conquer Peru and bring the potato to Europe" and the largest domino "The October Revolution".

Alternately 'The fall of the Soviet Union'. Really anything would work.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Sep 28, 2021

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Henchman of Santa posted:

For years I thought the woman on the L.A. Confidential poster was Nicole Kidman (I haven't seen the movie). I only just now learned that it's Kim Basinger.

It’s very good! Watched it again the other night. Only downside is it isn’t fun to watch Kevin Spacey anymore

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is ironic, considering people who are really into brewing become ridiculously uninteresting.

Get his rear end!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I made a few related discoveries today:

Ric Ocasek is dead. Bill Mumy is not. (No, I've no idea how I managed to mix that up.)

The Cars song that plays as Phoebe Cates gets out of the pool is Moving in Stereo, not (the far better song) Just What I Needed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kim Basinger was also in Cool World.

I have never seen Cool World, and that thread is sparing me the experience while also filling in the gaps about this weird little flop that was heavily advertised for a hot moment in my childhood and then vanished without leaving a cultural ripple.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pastry of the Year posted:

this weird little flop that was heavily advertised for a hot moment in my childhood and then vanished without leaving a cultural ripple.

If you're like me and you follow Ralph Bakshi on Instagram you see a lot of production art of Holly Would along with like people from American Pop and Wizards.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cat Hassler posted:

It’s very good! Watched it again the other night. Only downside is it isn’t fun to watch Kevin Spacey anymore

It’s so irritating that he’s good in it, the stupid prick.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Kim Basinger was also in Cool World.

I have never seen Cool World, and that thread is sparing me the experience while also filling in the gaps about this weird little flop that was heavily advertised for a hot moment in my childhood and then vanished without leaving a cultural ripple.
I thought I dreamed this movie but apparently not. I watched it after A River Runs Through It as a kid when I had strep. My memory is of watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but it was definitely Cool World. Guess I got confused by Brad Pitt being in both and this film being a weird world version of WFRR. Also a fever didn't help.

This is like when I found out I didn't imagine Freakazoid because I'd watched too much Pinky and the Brain.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cool world is a good movie. Not up to the usual Bashkir quality but still

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Cool world is a good movie. Not up to the usual Bashkir quality but still

It's a good concept that might have been a good movie. The finished product is not.

The soundtrack, however, bangs.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I just discovered Chuck Mangione is a real person and not just a character made up for King Of The Hill.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Friend posted:

I just discovered Chuck Mangione is a real person and not just a character made up for King Of The Hill.

So a long time ago I was dragged to a trivia night with a group of people. One of the audio questions was the trumpet noise song whatever he always played in king of the hill, asking the artist. I said jokingly chuck mangione cause I also thought he was a fake dude. Not a single team knew the answer.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Captain Duvel posted:

the trumpet noise song whatever he always played in king of the hill

it's a flugelhorn

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So a fake guy playing a fake instrument

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm not a CHICK I'm a DUDE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brawnfire posted:

I'm not a CHICK I'm a DUDE

Congratz my dude

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Friend posted:

As a horn and trumpet player, I was legally required to learn "Feels So Good" in high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FExBwfQHXlE

As a horse racing broadcaster, I now hear a lot of "First Call" played into "Feels so Good" by other horn players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArWoDSV-6NA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Discussion from another thread:

RFC2324 posted:

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-corn-and-maize/

apparently, wheat is referred to as corn in britain? :psyduck:

that seems like something that I would have encountered before

John Lee posted:

Yeah, 'corn' just means 'grain.' (Basically.)

Scarodactyl posted:

Not even 'grain as in grass seeds' , hence 'corned' beef with grains of salt.

I knew that corned beef was tinned meat but I'd never bothered to find out how it got its name

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, I fell down the Wikipedia hole at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugle_call

About half way through, I realised that bugle calls are basically just ringtones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Binding of Isaac is not Undertale.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It is actually

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Stanley Parable isn't The Binding of Isaac or similar roguelite.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It is actually

Yeah it kind of is, which is why I conflated them.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah it kind of is, which is why I conflated them.

In the same way The Wizard of Oz is basically the same as Reservoir Dogs, I guess.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I knew that corned beef was tinned meat but I'd never bothered to find out how it got its name

It’s not necessarily tinned. It’s just salt beef. You can buy an entire corned beef brisket sans tin, for example.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
'Keel over' is a sailing metaphor.

Which seems obvious now, but somehow it never occurred to me until I saw a boat guy use it in a Columbo episode.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Discussion from another thread:

Traditionally corn may have meant any grain in the UK, but these days in common usage it pretty much just refers to maize/sweetcorn.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pseudohog posted:

Traditionally corn may have meant any grain in the UK, but these days in common usage it pretty much just refers to maize/sweetcorn.

If you read Caesar's commentaries, the translation goes on about corn a lot. The corn Caesar needed to feed his legions, fields of corn, etc. Seeing as maize only got introduced to Europe in... google google... the 1400s, they're clearly not talking about maize

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This made me think about how maize is incredibly corny and now I'm imaging the name stuck with sailers and traders bragging about how goddamn big the corns are on this bizarro grass, like it doesn't even look real man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I've always wondered if corn mazes were a pun on maize or if I'm reading too much into it.