Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah, I think it's mostly a mental thing keeping myself from going heavier. I lift on a horse stall mat and use bumper plates, so it wouldn't destroy the floor. But, I'd be afraid of destroying myself somehow. I don't want to push it too hard until I can get real coaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

nooneofconsequence posted:

Anyone have any ~$20 pieces of equipment they love? I’m bored and want to add some stuff to my equipment but I’m too poor for big stuff.

You can make a gada (Indian mace) from a shovel handle and some quick-set concrete. Interesting conditioning tool for upper body. I made a couple last year and use them off and on. I used a rake handle and one of those tub containers Costco sells nuts in for a 10lb mace and a posthole digger handle and the tub from a 2kg thing of creatine to make a 20 lb one

https://www.indianclubs.com.au/gada-mace/gada-mace-tutorials/home-made-clay-pot-gada-mace/

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gonna lift some weights now.

e: they were heavy

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 25, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUSgdoFLzW7/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Jeff Nippley came out with a nutrition app, for those still looking or looking for something new. I haven't downloaded it yet, but it might be worth a look.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
macrofactor seems really nice so far. my only real issue is lack of recipe functionality, but they mentioned they're working on adding that.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Is it a macro tracker or do they have plans?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

hey so how come I can deadlift 400lbs but can only just barely snatch 115lbs? besides snatches are hard and I'm new at them and not very good at them

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

one is easy if you're fat, the other requires actual technique

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

one is easy if you're fat, the other requires actual technique

Ah I think you've hit the nail right on the head there.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 29, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just keep practicing. They're not easy.

I'm only a few kilos away from C-Jing bodyweight. For a former fat guy I feel pretty good about it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

hey so how come I can deadlift 400lbs but can only just barely snatch 115lbs? besides snatches are hard and I'm new at them and not very good at them

Aside from "snatches aren't deadlifts" you answered your own question. Same reason I can back squat way more than I can with an SSB.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

turd in my singlet posted:

You can make a gada (Indian mace) from a shovel handle and some quick-set concrete. Interesting conditioning tool for upper body. I made a couple last year and use them off and on. I used a rake handle and one of those tub containers Costco sells nuts in for a 10lb mace and a posthole digger handle and the tub from a 2kg thing of creatine to make a 20 lb one

https://www.indianclubs.com.au/gada-mace/gada-mace-tutorials/home-made-clay-pot-gada-mace/
I appreciate the advise. I bought a $15 arm blaster instead. Get ready for the gun show next summer.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I appreciate the advise. I bought a $15 arm blaster instead. Get ready for the gun show next summer.

Sounds like a better investment than a bottle of cumblaster pills from Amazon.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Any recommended kettlebell exercises or videos for anyone who's never exercised with one before?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any recommended kettlebell exercises or videos for anyone who's never exercised with one before?

As long as you don't mind being called comrade for 40 minutes this is pretty much the entry point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx8xE8jJZs

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

As long as you don't mind being called comrade for 40 minutes this is pretty much the entry point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx8xE8jJZs

Don't mind being called comrade, but he could do with a thicker Russian accent.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Aside from "snatches aren't deadlifts" you answered your own question. Same reason I can back squat way more than I can with an SSB.

Having recently got a SSB I was amazed at how much weaker I was compared to back squats with a normal bar.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm worried lifting on my horribly uneven basement floor has left me with my own imbalances as well lol.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I think one of the barbell medicine guys talking about how squatting on an uneven floor messed with either his knee or hip can't remember which.

You could probably fix it easy with self leveling concrete. Unless it's supposed to be uneven for drainage or something. I live in Florida we don't do basements.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Just do one set facing one way, then do a 180 and do the next set the other way.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

It's a big, awkward space with some pretty big slopes at spots. I wouldn't dare try concrete. I use wood blocks and shims to level off my bench and for most other lifts I alternate which way I face so hopefully I won't be too hosed. My musculature is pretty asymmetrical to begin with.

e: ^I do!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I got a new job 2 weeks ago that is much easier on my body than my last one. I've lifted 12 out of 14 days, my left elbow achiness is basically gone, and my neck/back feel much better. Wishing I made this move months ago, I'm quickly getting stronger and looking more swole 24/7 :hellyeah:

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Constipated posted:

I got a new job 2 weeks ago that is much easier on my body than my last one. I've lifted 12 out of 14 days, my left elbow achiness is basically gone, and my neck/back feel much better. Wishing I made this move months ago, I'm quickly getting stronger and looking more swole 24/7 :hellyeah:

gently caress yeah dude, keep it up!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Constipated posted:

Hell yes!

I posted in this thread about 10 weeks ago about starting a powerlifting program. I've gotten super comfortable with deadlift and squat movements now. I hit a PB of 120kg 3RM the other day and couldve gone heavier. I weigh around 85kg. Feels good to get strong.

Forearms are starting to feel like Louisville Sluggers from deadlifting. I fixed my grip after watching some Mark Rippetoe vidyas.

Friends and co-workers have started commenting on my physical appearance. But, most importantly, my mood has greatly improved. My job is demanding and pushing and pulling heavy poo poo is somehow a shower for my soul.

BRB gonna go superset overhead press and pullups

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

noice strong and happy goons

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Today's dl working weight: weed number.

Failed to break the most important pr.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://imgur.com/gallery/Azu7kDB

Well that was a pretty cool imgur album.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
That's pretty cool.
But big lol at his comment that he wants to take off 0.5mm of the barbell sleeve because the grooves on it make noise when putting on the metal plate. Like dude no, they are there for a drat reason and then your collars won't fit tightly on it. Also, I hope he'll listen to the people saying that his strap stitching won't hold up as much as he thinks it will.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I hurt my back doing landmines and it wasn't even a lot of weight or my last set.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Send help I'm currently laying on the floor next to the rack.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mother? Is that you Mother? I see a bright light

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

For real though my back fuckin hurts. usually when my back hurts it's because I spent all day moving out of a house or something and then I sit down and crack a beer and then an hour later when I go to get up its like whoops you now have crippling back pain but this time I was finishing a set and it was instantaneous like pooop ouch that hurts, drop the weight, lie down on the ground and start crying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

and the planet fitness was fuckin packed it was kind of embarrassing

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

several people that walked by called me a pussy and I think one of them spat on me

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

You get what you deserve.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RUDE

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did you set off the lunk alarm

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you set off the lunk alarm

I think you have to drop something actually heavy for that to happen.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

baby’s first back injury :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

bird with big dick posted:

I hurt my back doing landmines and it wasn't even a lot of weight or my last set.

As someone also going through hurt back time (barbell rows), keep moving. It sucks but it gets better pretty quick getting up and doing some air squats.