Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it could also be receiving end poo poo, since, to think of it, i don’t ever paste stuff into office software. what i can say for sure though is that for pasting stuff into gmail or notepad or whatever chredge works like you would expect

might just be office apps, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Teams is supposed to replace ur Outlook mate

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zam Wesell posted:

Teams is supposed to replace ur Outlook mate

outlook not so good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

might just be office apps, yeah
found the settings option, and it's "any application that can receive it", anyway I turned it off :tipshat:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
glad that worked. i remember it suddenly happening pasting a url from chredge into outlook and getting really mad, because seriously, what the gently caress?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh good they're redoing Skype again

https://www.skype.com/en/blogs/2021-08-announcement-modern-skype/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sure, why not?

it's like google but instead of chat clients it's skype

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my colleague showed me this new song the other day

https://youtu.be/k85mRPqvMbE

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Lemme guess,

Gotta have a new skype-only account, which doesn't transfer your previous contacts or any information

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also counts as a "personal" microsoft id, so don't even think of using your work email

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i have this vague memory, like a faded dream, of a product called “Skype” being well regarded and something people used. Microsoft burned that to ash pretty quickly after buying it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Last Chance posted:

i have this vague memory, like a faded dream, of a product called “Skype” being well regarded and something people used. Microsoft burned that to ash pretty quickly after buying it.

was it good? i only used it a couple sparse times due to absolute necessity, and it seemed clunky and rear end

also i heard it had an absolute insane spaghetti code encryption and auth bullshit that made debugging it insane, or osmething like that (im very loosely paraphrasing, but recall something to that sentiment)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
When it was new it was somewhat novel because it could reliably punch through most NAT and firewalls to make p2p calls, while other voip software needed a server (Teamspeak is a few years older afaik). If it couldn't make a direct call, it would proxy via skype's own servers.

Other IM services didn't have calling.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

was it good? i only used it a couple sparse times due to absolute necessity, and it seemed clunky and rear end

also i heard it had an absolute insane spaghetti code encryption and auth bullshit that made debugging it insane, or osmething like that (im very loosely paraphrasing, but recall something to that sentiment)

it was the only voice/video chat app people seriously used on windows between 2003 and like 2016. it was decent until microsoft bought it and forced a new ui onto everyone, and tolerable afterwards

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah but how likely are you to recommend SharePoint to someone you hate?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

god drat sharepoint gently caress it up it's goddamn loving rear end
I wrote some software that connects to sharepoint and downloads files and caches metadata. All well and good. Except it uses the rest api but you can't actually do half the stuff it needs through rest calls you need to resort to caml and a third api to do it. And then you need to pray the customer you're connecting to isn't on sharepoint year x,y,z because they don't support some of the calls. The dumbest part is it worked using the rest api a few years ago but microsoft sunset some stuff, added new features they didn't expose to the rest api, etc.

also to do anything productive you need to go to multiple documentation sites because no one site has all the info. it's also extremely unclear which versions support which features. thankfully I was able to target the cloud office365 online version which supports everything except the features they've removed. I fear the day I am asked to support a version from 2011 or earlier -- pretty sure I am going to hire a contractor do it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 29, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
previous and current fave thing is how you can't export the Version column using the export to Excel feature. sure, it'll ALWAYS include poo poo like user ratings and whoever rated your items, even if you don't have those in the current view, for uh reasons I guess, but not Version!

I've tried every single stupid "hack" I tried googling, and the worst ones are of stack overflow that say "hey this post over at the ms community really works!" except ms changed their whole board thing and the link just redirects to the homepage and searching on even the title posted gets you nowhere.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah my company just retired skype 4 biz in favor of teams. teams is much slower

One microshit product to another.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mystes posted:

there is literally no-one i hate enough

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ive been getting into the win32 API

i have purposefully only read books made when at most the newest version was windows 2000

it really seems like a nice well designed operating system to program against

i do not want to face reality

also lol how much of Microsoft's documentation is unchanged from 3.x era

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mystes posted:

It's not even good for that. I'm fairly sure the only reason people use it is they were forced to use it by someone above them. I can't imagine willingly trying sharepoint and then deciding to use it. It has to be the only choice you have or maybe your other choice is Adobe Experience Manager so you flip a coin.

It's difficult to even get to sharepoint from the office365 page. And you better hope you don't need to make a list now because you need to use an external teams program that you technically have access to but can't find on any of the office365/microsoft sites if you are the administrator and little IT angels didn't add a shortcut for you.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 29, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It’s easy to tell just how bad teams is because slack is used in favor of teams even though it costs many companies hundreds of thousands if not millions extra per year to have a slack subscription.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, teams is huge as well, but tbqh i think what'll kill slack will wind up zoom expanding into that space as the non-microsoft option.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

doing the lord’s work

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, teams is huge as well, but tbqh i think what'll kill slack will wind up zoom expanding into that space as the non-microsoft option.

Or Slack will kill zoom once their video chat isn't terrible. Who will win first?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Or Slack will kill zoom once their video chat isn't terrible. Who will win first?

slack is not capable of releasing non-terrible things anymore

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is true.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

jira: the ticketing system for tech that replaces colons with emojis & screws up linux and windows paths alike & fights with their customers about how this is needed even though no one wants this poo poo in their ticketing system except the product manager who decided on it

this slack talk reminded me of them because slack seems to be going down a similar path by making doing actual work using slack harder than it was in older versions

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 29, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

matti posted:

ive been getting into the win32 API

i have purposefully only read books made when at most the newest version was windows 2000

it really seems like a nice well designed operating system to program against

i do not want to face reality

also lol how much of Microsoft's documentation is unchanged from 3.x era

programming windows is such an excellent book

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Nomnom Cookie posted:

programming windows is such an excellent book

i am reading the following books:

programming windows 95 (petzold)
programming applications for windows (richer) [1999]
inside windows 2000 (solomon, russinovich)

i picked the older edition of petzold because i figured it would have more explanations of the api's idiosyncrasies

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
you should check out windows WTL as well. it's a surprisingly nice C++ USER32 wrapper library, although docs for it are more or less nonexistent unfortunately.

somehow it is still being actively developed too on sourceforge

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

powershell seems good

holy poo poo is it bad. I love .NET stuff but powershell has some of the grossest and most verbose syntax for a shell language. Seriously, it makes Bash syntax look intuitive and pretty

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol

how do you set out to improve on bash and fail

mystes
May 31, 2006

It improves on it by passing objects around but it's bad in other ways.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

akadajet posted:

holy poo poo is it bad. I love .NET stuff but powershell has some of the grossest and most verbose syntax for a shell language. Seriously, it makes Bash syntax look intuitive and pretty

yeah every time ive tried to explore powershell i gave up 3 minutes in when the first time i try to do something escalates into a novel

i guess some people love having a 43 character long command that does precisely one thing but its the opposite mechanic vs. how linux does poo poo and how im used to poo poo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

akadajet posted:

if tab completion worked like in bash I think it would be tolerable but the windows style is weird

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

powershell is better than bash but not by much

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the few times I have to use power shell it’s just easier to google what I want it to do than try to remember it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shaggar posted:

powershell is better than bash but not by much

:wrong: