Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

helldivers is fun as gently caress but i would say only pick it up these days if you've got a bunch of friends picking it up to play together with, i have to imagine the player population is close to zero 6 years after its release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like there's a couple hundred people playing it at any one time, so probably not actually that hard to get a game. :shrug:

Was always surprised they never made a sequel.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Even one friend is good, 2 player is still a whole lot of fun and miles better than 1. Great game!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

helldivers is fun as gently caress but i would say only pick it up these days if you've got a bunch of friends picking it up to play together with, i have to imagine the player population is close to zero 6 years after its release

That's probably a fair disclaimer, yea.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sway Grunt posted:

Ittle Dew 2 for $1 on Fanatical, extremely worth it if you've enjoyed anything by Ludosity in the past. The first one too. And there's enough decent/good stuff in this bundle to get to the 5-item tier I think. Project Highrise, Railway Empire, Reventure, etc. I think Strikey Sisters is supposed to be a hidden gem?

Strikey Sisters is by a very good underrated developer so it's probably really good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

Strikey Sisters is by a very good underrated developer so it's probably really good
did you see they're doing a Resident Evil style game with action combat https://store.steampowered.com/app/1480830/Evil_Tonight/

just got an official release date today, btw: October 14th

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Strikey Sisters is the actually good and fun version of the miserable indie Breakout game Wizorb, for any who played that.

Looking forward to DVA games’ horror game this month!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OzFactor posted:

It's on sale so I am likely going to finally get Dragon Quest XI, but I'm pretty nitpicky about things like this: does the game let you use the mouse? Like can you click on things in menus or is it like FF12 where the keyboard is just emulating a controller? Because I really don't like that, I'm on a drat computer and I want to use my drat mouse. I'd probably just wait and buy it on the Switch if I can't use the mouse.

I don't know for sure, but DQXI is a console game first and foremost. I really doubt they're going to add support for clicking on things. Just get it on switch, the game works better in that format anyway, since it's so episodic and grindy.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

In new game+ in Dishonored 2 do you start the game with all the ability points/unlocks you ended the previous run with? What about Prey?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
imo playing DQ11 with a mouse would be relatively miserable even if possible

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mescal posted:

In new game+ in Dishonored 2 do you start the game with all the ability points/unlocks you ended the previous run with? What about Prey?

Apparently,

quote:

New Game+

Perhaps the more eagerly awaited option, Prey's NG+ is a way to replay the game, but with all the neuromods, suit chipsets and scope chipsets you picked up on your original run. Although not immediately. Like any pre-order bonuses you might once have had, all your extras are in the locker in Yu's office on board the Talos 1. So you are of course going to have to discover you're on the Talos 1 once again.

It's worth noting that due to some sort of anomaly, you can't just launch into NG+ straight away, even if you previously finished Prey. I don't know if it's a bug, but when I (and others) tried to launch it I was informed, disconcertingly, that I had not finished campaign. But do not panic - instead you have to load up the last save you made before you completed the game and play through its last few minutes again.

Note that the second paragraph is probably because it got added in a patch. So if you started playing after they added this it may not matter.

And good to know, I was planning a second, all Typhon mods run later this year.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 29, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyone here have any opinions on the videoed game "valheim" one of my friends wants to get a group going for it and i loathe survival games

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cowcaster posted:

anyone here have any opinions on the videoed game "valheim" one of my friends wants to get a group going for it and i loathe survival games

I had fun with it and bounced off most other survival games. Maybe you'll like it too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Picked up that Chronicon game people were posting about, how the hell do I assign a spell to RMB?

I clicked the little Plus signs, I picked some skills, I put some points into a Skill. Now what??

e; Oh you right click those and then pick from a drop down. Of course.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

There is a reasonably active thread for it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958782

I enjoy it but I wish they would work on their controller support because it’s pretty whack right now.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

It's pretty good, it's nice because your abilities are primarily equipment based so if you have a friend who can only play occasionally they won't fall behind much if they just have some good gear and food made for them

The supply chain gets pretty rough once you get up into bronze, though, and I 100% would have quit at that point if I was playing solo

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Valheim is fantastic for about fifty hours and then there should be like a big TO BE CONTINUED screen that prevents you from going any further into the unfinished stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stux posted:

chronicon def wants u to use the loot filters as you get stronger

Oh god yeah slap the loot filters on as soon as the loot spam gets obnoxious. I played a bit last night after chat about it ITT and it's still great. I made a berserker called Ornstein with all lightning powers and he's a zappy dashing little shithead in gold armour, just like I wanted.

Horizon Zero Dawn is 24 USD over on WinGameStore, comes to just under 19 quid in the UK. A solid price I think, I finally grabbed it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

There is a reasonably active thread for it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958782

I enjoy it but I wish they would work on their controller support because it’s pretty whack right now.

i mean i assume that's a thread for people who are actively playing and enjoying valheim who i also don't know personality wise as well as the posters in this thread so i don't know how much use their opinions would be to me

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 29, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i assume that's a thread for people who are actively playing and enjoying valheim who i also don't know personality wise as well as the posters in this thread so i don't know how much use their opinions would be to me

It's only kind of a survival game. It's more about fighting monsters and building cool Viking homes (and hearths). They streamlined/removed a lot of annoying "survival game" things. You won't die from not eating food, it'll just be easier to die because food gives you health and stamina boosts that wear off over time. You don't need resources to repair your gear, just a workbench/forge (which you need to make most of the gear in the first place). If you have a group to play with, it's a pretty good time, until you beat the last current boss (there are 2 biomes that are pretty much entirely unfinished). Getting to that point takes a while, though - there's a good amount of content in the game already, and the latest big update added more recipes and building stuff.

edit: I personally love survival games, but I have a few friends who aren't as into them as I am, and they like Valheim more than other similar games, if that helps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Well on that bolded part you'd be surprised and they would be a good resource on why they like / dislike the game or even recommend it. It is defiantly not a thread full of people who love the game 100% though that's for sure.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am also someone who isn't into survival games, but had some fun with Valheim. I only played for about 6 hours solo but I could see it being a game I would play with friends who are into survival games. Playing solo there was too much time spent chopping trees and mining ore and not enough time adventuring, but adventuring was fun when it happened and multiplayer would spread the tedium out among multiple people.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

I am also someone who isn't into survival games, but had some fun with Valheim. I only played for about 6 hours solo but I could see it being a game I would play with friends who are into survival games. Playing solo there was too much time spent chopping trees and mining ore and not enough time adventuring, but adventuring was fun when it happened and multiplayer would spread the tedium out among multiple people.

I played much longer than you did- *checks hours played* 58 hours!... but have the exact same feelings on the game as you. I knew I was going to get to a "grinding stage" eventually based on some of the opinions here shortly after launch, so when I realized it had happened I lost interest in the game. Luckily I got my money's worth already, as the time I played in multiplayer was aces, and if they continue to build out/improve the game, then it's a treat for me to revisit it down the road.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I almost think the game shouldn't even load until you have 2 or more players, maybe even some kind of proof the person you're playing with is actually your friend. Should probably have voicechat built in but over discord with your playing buddy does the job, I'd just consider it necessary for a good time. I did play solo, mostly to farm up materials and stuff so when we played together we could do the fun adventuring and building rather than the logistical resource gathering which is a good and necessary obstacle... the first time or two you do it, then the gameplay for it is less refine and meaningful and just a tedious chore you shouldp robably just spawn the resources to skip. (you could also get by with minimal resource gathering by being efficient, but both of us wanted to build huge castles with big walls and fancy rooms and a special portal tower and sculptures etc etc. Game currently has no end-game progression for resource/building outside of debug commands.

Still, the most fun I ever had in a game co-op, especially in a genre I think outside of 3-4 standouts, is mostly a misery generator. The milestones in the game as you get more comfortable standing up to boars and lizards to fearlessly farming wolves and golems across the ocean is really great. It leaves you wanting more but happy with what you had as well. I think in a few years they'll either have really cracked something classic, if not, they'll have inspired enough others that someone will.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I tried it for ~5 hours with a few other people and it wasn't grabbing me. The combat was pretty crude and not something I would seek out and enjoy on its own merits. Building a house was kind of fiddly and annoying, and I didn't feel like putting together more than a basic shack. I'm not really sure what playing it co-op was adding to the game aside from making boring things take less time, which isn't really the kind of fun that I look for in a co-op game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Triarii posted:

I tried it for ~5 hours with a few other people and it wasn't grabbing me. The combat was pretty crude and not something I would seek out and enjoy on its own merits. Building a house was kind of fiddly and annoying, and I didn't feel like putting together more than a basic shack. I'm not really sure what playing it co-op was adding to the game aside from making boring things take less time, which isn't really the kind of fun that I look for in a co-op game.

yeah ended up picking it up to play with him and our other friends and i would describe it as precisely as engaging as minecraft or don't starve or what have you. my friends who love survival games spent their time punching trees to make wood and built a massive two story wooden house with canted roofs. i summoned an electric deer and stabbed it in the butt to death with a knife in a combat encounter exactly as engaging as (i assume i've never actually done or seen it) fighting an ender dragon in minecraft. so it's candy for the people who like stuff like that but unfortunately it's just boring as poo poo to me

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 30, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stux posted:

chronicon def wants u to use the loot filters as you get stronger
White gear in particular is worth basically nothing once higher tier stuff reliably drops, just filter it out so you don't even see it. If you feel like you're going back to town to sell things too often, make sure you check how much you're getting per item and tighten your loot filter accordingly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

does anyone know if that new madness combat video game is any good? I'm trying to decide whether ot pick it up or if the high reviews are just from people who liked the flash videos.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

What’s the consensus on pathfinder WOR?

I played kingmaker and beat it, but had a lot of gripes:

Kingdom management difficulty spike late way late in the game, same difficulty spike with casters - I went from rolling to 10s to rolling to 20s on everything out of nowhere and felt like it was such bullshit because it was like 100 hours in, not gradual nudges to indicate hey you need to tighten these things up a bit just lol gently caress you all your DC checks just went up by 10.

And tedious cryptic stuff, like your whole party gets paralyzed by everything now on a will check, and this spell freedom of movement that you never had to use is now critical for the rest of the game at 100% uptime. We’re not gonna tell you any of this either you just gotta try stuff until you find something that works, hope you built out enough spell slots for the uptime requirements on these spells that went from useless to absolutely critical.

Also just the time sink of it all, like 140 hours made up of a lot of staring at a map, trash fights, having to rest over and over while traveling.

That all being said I put in the 140 hours to beat it and liked a lot of stuff about it. The cool epic feeling fights, set pieces, combat was really good when it was good, loved the insane amount of builds and party configurations you could do. But at the end of it I was exhausted.

Did WOR clean up a lot of this stuff or is it kind of the same complaints? I can’t really find any reviews or write ups that dive into these things.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How does the Outer Wilds new dlc work? Is it separate story you access from main menu or is it part of the main game?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sininu posted:

How does the Outer Wilds new dlc work? Is it separate story you access from main menu or is it part of the main game?

It's part of the main game, they dropped it in like it was always there. The plot thread starts in the observatory/museum

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I played and finished Dum-Dum which is more or less what happens when you throw Atari TOS, Hypnospace and I guess a bit of Pony Island in a blender. It didn't overstay its welcome (a couple puzzles went on for too long but whatever) and the puzzles themselves were pretty fun to figure out. I recommend it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1131530/DumDum/

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

vaginite posted:

Did WOR clean up a lot of this stuff or is it kind of the same complaints? I can’t really find any reviews or write ups that dive into these things.

Everything you're complaining about is still there, plus it's pretty buggy right now. The bugs will be fixed but not the other stuff (besides the kingdom management, which got replaced with a kinda lame HoMM clone) since a lot of those are actually sort of kinda draws. The whole multi hundred hours game with a bunch of guide dangit bullshit and trap builds and all.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been playing Kingmaker recently and what really blew my mind is how even the loving companions are traps. Like, my pathfinder-fu is not strong and there's every chance I'm making a mountain out of a slightly smaller mountain, but it feels like every single party member is tweaked around an obscure gimmick build and/or was made when the dev was drunk, which is an odd choice for a game that expects you to perfectly min/max your entire party.

I made the barbarian lady an animal inquisitor though, and you know what? Smilodons are not suboptimal, her smilodon is the loving MVP of my party. If I ever get around to WOR I kinda wanna just roll an entire party of bloodthirsty animals and leave the bipeds at home base.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been playing Kingmaker recently and what really blew my mind is how even the loving companions are traps. Like, my pathfinder-fu is not strong and there's every chance I'm making a mountain out of a slightly smaller mountain, but it feels like every single party member is tweaked around an obscure gimmick build and/or was made when the dev was drunk, which is an odd choice for a game that expects you to perfectly min/max your entire party.

I made the barbarian lady an animal inquisitor though, and you know what? Smilodons are not suboptimal, her smilodon is the loving MVP of my party. If I ever get around to WOR I kinda wanna just roll an entire party of bloodthirsty animals and leave the bipeds at home base.

Animal Companions are even STRONGER in WotR since they can equip certain gear now, including pet-specific armor, so not a bad idea at all.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've only just started it but the new place they added in the Outer Wilds DLC is so loving cool, jesus christ

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Triarii posted:

I've only just started it but the new place they added in the Outer Wilds DLC is so loving cool, jesus christ

How does it work? Is it a completely independent area? I can't see how they would weave DLC content in the base game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

How does it work? Is it a completely independent area? I can't see how they would weave DLC content in the base game.

I'm not really clear on how or whether it's going to interweave into the core concept yet. I have some speculation but it gets into spoilers.

Physically, it's kind of like they just added another planet to the solar system, with a bunch of cool poo poo and mysteries to figure out (but in a way that makes sense as it why it wasn't there before).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Triarii posted:

I'm not really clear on how or whether it's going to interweave into the core concept yet. I have some speculation but it gets into spoilers.

Physically, it's kind of like they just added another planet to the solar system, with a bunch of cool poo poo and mysteries to figure out (but in a way that makes sense as it why it wasn't there before).

Well, not completey makes sense, but plausibly deniable. New area looks cool, wonder how deep it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

vaginite posted:

What’s the consensus on pathfinder WOR?

I played kingmaker and beat it, but had a lot of gripes:

Kingdom management difficulty spike late way late in the game, same difficulty spike with casters - I went from rolling to 10s to rolling to 20s on everything out of nowhere and felt like it was such bullshit because it was like 100 hours in, not gradual nudges to indicate hey you need to tighten these things up a bit just lol gently caress you all your DC checks just went up by 10.

And tedious cryptic stuff, like your whole party gets paralyzed by everything now on a will check, and this spell freedom of movement that you never had to use is now critical for the rest of the game at 100% uptime. We’re not gonna tell you any of this either you just gotta try stuff until you find something that works, hope you built out enough spell slots for the uptime requirements on these spells that went from useless to absolutely critical.

Also just the time sink of it all, like 140 hours made up of a lot of staring at a map, trash fights, having to rest over and over while traveling.

That all being said I put in the 140 hours to beat it and liked a lot of stuff about it. The cool epic feeling fights, set pieces, combat was really good when it was good, loved the insane amount of builds and party configurations you could do. But at the end of it I was exhausted.

WOR cleaned up a lot of stuff, but then added it's own flavor of bullshit. Lots of QoL improvements like a "dismiss spell" feature so you can cancel those ongoing aoe spells that last for several minutes.

A lot of new things, but some balance issues, like primalist bloodrager is objectively superior in all ways to barbarian, and some truly trap choices this time, like Assassin (worse then useless) and Nine Tailed Heir (gives up a ton of benefits for a kitsune gimmick build).

The new Cavalier class is cool on paper, but the whole "riding mounts" thing was heavily touted and is pretty sub-optimal in combat for several reasons, a mix of bugs and design choices. Basically if you want to ride a mount you can probably do better with some of the other mount eligible classes.

Still easy enough to enjoy on normal if you play to some specialization. The meat of the game is the 6 main mythic paths, and roleplaying as an Angel or a Lich is going to be a wildly different experience for 1/2 the game.

It's still in need of a lot of patches, and their latest patch hosed up auto-attack for cantrips so they're still in the "fix 2 things, break one new thing" stage.

Omi no Kami posted:

There's a late game potential companion NPC that would probably be unplayable in general based on his class build. It's actually weird how they built their game around the rules as written but inflated stats, then gave you very wonky companions for the purposes of playing Pathfinder.