Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

caleb posted:

"Oi monkey!" "Why are we standing around?"

:barf:

Brian Bloom as Jackie was good though. Not surprising, he always gives a great performance. He's like if Troy Baker wasn't a colossal dickhead. Really talented and pops up in everything and it's always nice to hear his voice. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I think I might have found my absolute favorite mod for Serious Sam...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:lmao:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

He's like if Troy Baker wasn't a colossal dickhead.

I would like to know more about Troy Baker being a dickhead.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennsylvanian posted:

The Brothers in Arms games are good. They play more like an arcadey version of tactical shooters where you switch between teams in your squad to suppress and flank enemies. If you play the first two, (Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood, respectively), then it is mandatory to download Rendroc's Warzone Mod. It has a plugin that fixes bugs with the PC port's friendly soldiers' AI scripting.

Oh, gently caress yes, they're good. Play the first to get the story, then play Earned in Blood. Totally changes your point of view on the whole thing. EiB's challenge/coop campaign is a motherfucker, too. It's an FPS, your only interaction with the world is move and shoot. The shooting's good, the weapons are different enough to make a difference. The movement is slow, grueling, and ponderous, but with reason. You are God's unwanted children; muddy, smelly, tired, hauling around 8lbs of rifle and more in ammo.

"Get the lead out. No mercy for any of these bastards!"

"Feuer aus allem rohren!" (sic)

I can't imagine how much quicker and punchier combat is with friendly AI fixes. I only played the games on XBox.

The third game is straight trash. Instead of having to keep your head down to avoid enemy fire, the screen turns red out of cover until the game sends a magic bullet into your head.

Great map in the first two, as well, although you'll never use it past the first playthough.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I replayed Road to Hill 30 like two years ago (beat all three on PC when they came out). The shooting is horrible compared to the WW2 Medal of Honor games (PC ones) or even CoD1/UO, CoD2. They have the tactical part, sure, but you can put your sights on a german's head and still miss horribly because they aren't under supression. They could have been decent isometric real time tactical games but as FPS... nope.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172650/INDUSTRIA/
It releases today.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I hope this is good, it looked cool.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Convex posted:

The year is 1998. It is time for journalism

Hell yeah q2 clans, brings me back to the heat.net days.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I replayed Road to Hill 30 like two years ago (beat all three on PC when they came out). The shooting is horrible compared to the WW2 Medal of Honor games (PC ones) or even CoD1/UO, CoD2. They have the tactical part, sure, but you can put your sights on a german's head and still miss horribly because they aren't under supression. They could have been decent isometric real time tactical games but as FPS... nope.

K98 Mauser solves that problem. For real, just use the Mauser and one full-auto gun of your choice.
The FG-42 does double duty, best gun in the games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

lmao

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
About an hour into Industria and it's just lovely. Very much a passion project. It feels like Half-Life 2 meets....David Lynch, maybe? There's more of a focus on puzzles than I thought, and not in the Valve way. Like straight up you gotta collect inventory items and combine them, Capcom/Resident Evil way. It's quite nice. I like it a lot. The devs have also been very upfront about the length (about 4 hours) and that it's not going to be AAA quality and they also didn't want to try and reach that bar because they're a team of like 4 people and have been making this thing for 5 years lol. Will report when I beat it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it looks so like HL2

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

About an hour into Industria and it's just lovely. Very much a passion project. It feels like Half-Life 2 meets....David Lynch, maybe? There's more of a focus on puzzles than I thought, and not in the Valve way. Like straight up you gotta collect inventory items and combine them, Capcom/Resident Evil way. It's quite nice. I like it a lot. The devs have also been very upfront about the length (about 4 hours) and that it's not going to be AAA quality and they also didn't want to try and reach that bar because they're a team of like 4 people and have been making this thing for 5 years lol. Will report when I beat it.

Sounds cool enough and if the release isn't buggy, might get it soon. I really like that shotgun, maybe a Winchester Model 1897?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it looks so like HL2

It's definitely one of the core influences but it's got a vibe of its own for sure.

That being said:

You know how immersive sims need to have a 451 reference somewhere? Once indie devs start making Half-Life style shooters there should always be a part where you gotta crank a wheel to open a door.

Guillermus posted:

Sounds cool enough and if the release isn't buggy, might get it soon. I really like that shotgun, maybe a Winchester Model 1897?

I haven't had any issues. There was a slight graphical glitch in the first level that popped in and out of existence in a split second tho lol. The dev's twitter mentioned poor performance in the final level, which they might have already patched; Steam's telling me the game has an update queued already.

I haven't got the shotgun yet but I did use it in the demo from earlier this year and yeah, it's really satisfying.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's definitely one of the core influences but it's got a vibe of its own for sure.

That being said:

You know how immersive sims need to have a 451 reference somewhere? Once indie devs start making Half-Life style shooters there should always be a part where you gotta crank a wheel to open a door.

I haven't had any issues. There was a slight graphical glitch in the first level that popped in and out of existence in a split second tho lol. The dev's twitter mentioned poor performance in the final level, which they might have already patched; Steam's telling me the game has an update queued already.

I haven't got the shotgun yet but I did use it in the demo from earlier this year and yeah, it's really satisfying.

:shepspends:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Here's a recent screenshot from the dev's personal account.

https://twitter.com/stupidhoroscope/status/1442832051212730369

Digging the style.

I'm liking this, from the admittedly very limited info. Look at that happy fella there, very Duke3D assault trooper.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Oooh, new HROT level has appeared

manero
Jan 30, 2006

DOOM in a Tweet

https://twitter.com/GalacticFurball/status/1439259660658241539

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1443740010780315650?s=20

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is it another demo or early access to throw on the pile with the 30 others while we wait 3 years for them to actually be finished

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

madeintaipei posted:

Oh, gently caress yes, they're good. Play the first to get the story, then play Earned in Blood. Totally changes your point of view on the whole thing. EiB's challenge/coop campaign is a motherfucker, too. It's an FPS, your only interaction with the world is move and shoot. The shooting's good, the weapons are different enough to make a difference. The movement is slow, grueling, and ponderous, but with reason. You are God's unwanted children; muddy, smelly, tired, hauling around 8lbs of rifle and more in ammo.

"Get the lead out. No mercy for any of these bastards!"

"Feuer aus allem rohren!" (sic)

I can't imagine how much quicker and punchier combat is with friendly AI fixes. I only played the games on XBox.

The third game is straight trash. Instead of having to keep your head down to avoid enemy fire, the screen turns red out of cover until the game sends a magic bullet into your head.

Great map in the first two, as well, although you'll never use it past the first playthough.

The PC version actually has a serious bug in the port where friendly AI has trouble interacting with cover. If you order them to take cover, they will do anything but, and just stand up behind the cover and get mowed down or run in front of the cover and get mowed down. The mod fixes their pathfinding and interaction. There's also unfortunately a bug that affects friendly soldier eye placement during cutscenes. So during the pretty heartbreaking "Cpl. Hartsock, do you need a minute?" scene, your friendly soldiers are looking at you all cross-eyed. There's also no muzzle climb for the MG-42 in the PC version, so those tense hold-out moments are pretty laughable.

Beyond that, it's the only time I've ever played a war game that feels dirty and tiring. One thing I actually super dig about Hill 30 is that while games like early CoD where the campaign consists of like ten missions that take place over months or years and are on a grand scale (which is fine- I love a bunch of MoH and CoD games), Hill 30 takes place over a few days where taking a quarter mile of road feels like conquering a whole city in something like CoD.

As for the complaint about aiming in BiA, they put in some mechanics that keep players from snap-shotting enemies. Your shots aren't pin-point accurate until you spend at least a second or so in iron sights (wait for the gun to stop swaying and there's no white suppression markers on the border of your screen), and then the guns will be pin-point accurate. Coming under fire also affects accuracy. So, generally, the game encourages you to put down volumes of close-range fire, but you can pop heads if you have fire superiority and take time before shooting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Johnny Joestar posted:

is it another demo or early access to throw on the pile with the 30 others while we wait 3 years for them to actually be finished

Yes.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

No.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

Maybe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Johnny Joestar posted:

I don't know.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Johnny Joestar posted:

Can you repeat the question?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

You're not the boss of me now.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hell yeah q2 clans, brings me back to the heat.net days.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Oh goddammit. I remember that freaking ad.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Heat.net is funny as poo poo, they used to let you earn points by playing, and then you could redeem them for actual physical goods like video cards. One day they realized they were losing tons of money and devalued the points by something like a power of 10 and a ton of users left out of spite. Them they dumped everything into developing their own game, effectively inventing mmos, just nobody wanted that in 1999 and I don't think they even finished development before it all exploded.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baron von Eevl posted:

effectively inventing mmos, just nobody wanted that in 1999

...UO came out in '97?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

...UO came out in '97?

And even before that there was Meridian 59 and MUDs and such.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Even disregarding Ultima Online: Lineage (1998), Everquest and Asheron's Call (1999) are pretty notable from that time as well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still remember putting a silly amount of time on UO Renaissance on a private server, spending my time mining and macroing combat but actually watching the game because GMs would send AFK farmers to jail for a week.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Going through The Last Exterminator dev's twitter and there's a few screens of it here and there before it had been officially revealed:

https://twitter.com/stupidhoroscope/status/1361767963536187392

I'm obsessed already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

You know the answer.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I signed up into this thread because of WRATH and Prodeus. Years later, they're still in production, but we've also had no shortage of lovely cash-in low effort pseduo-gzdoom games. I hope those two games end up being good, since the market they aimed to revive has already been resurrected and drowned again in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Prodeus in its current state is already very good. Wrath is pretty ehhh tho