Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the deck isnt outright more powerful. it has a better gpu, but nearly any time you see yuzu choking on a neo w the diagnostics up the gpu still has headroom while the cpu is turbo'd up to 4ghz on a couple of cores and bottlenecking. the deck has the same zen 2 arch running at 3.5ghz max, w 5w less power available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah and it won't run well either

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

dunno why you’d wanna emulate switch games anyway tbh

Because the Switch has good games and bad performance.

I mean, not saying poo poo will run better on the Steamdeck, but I'd love to get my Switch Library running on Yuzu (on my desktop at least) but I have no experience messing with Yuzu and I'm lazy as poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people's definition of "well" when it comes to emulation VASTLY changes depending on the person

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine buying this thing to play anything but Doom mods in bed just lmao

This is an elaborate XCOM2 portable platform, if you think about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:hmmyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

luckily all the switch games you'd want to emulate are available on the wii u

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's not true, Part Time UFO was originally a mobile game

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Imagine buying this thing to play anything but Doom mods in bed just lmao

First thing I installed

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

Are they already being delivered?!?!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

Are they already being delivered?!?!

No, I'm a Proton dev so I got a devkit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sigher posted:

Because the Switch has good games and bad performance.

I mean, not saying poo poo will run better on the Steamdeck, but I'd love to get my Switch Library running on Yuzu (on my desktop at least) but I have no experience messing with Yuzu and I'm lazy as poo poo.

cool, so you're saying people emulate switch because yuzu performs better than the switch, also it won't run better than the switch, also it's really about the library, also you haven't actually ever installed yuzu.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

hell yes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

Dope AF.

Does it feel as heavy as you thought?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

Nice, have you also got a switch? If so, are you able to give a rough comparison of how it feels in the hand compared to the switch?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Have there been reports of someone installing Windows on these early devices yet?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

Hell yeah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BoldFace posted:

Have there been reports of someone installing Windows on these early devices yet?

I mean if the early releases are dev kits for proton users I doubt it

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

Nice, how long have you found the battery lasting for you, or do you only test it with a charger?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Does it feel as heavy as you thought?

It is both bigger and lighter than I expected.

Dramicus posted:

Nice, have you also got a switch? If so, are you able to give a rough comparison of how it feels in the hand compared to the switch?

Yeah, the Switch is a very good comparison. It's bigger and heavier than the Switch, but, you don't notice it once you get into the groove of playing a game. It just feels like playing the Switch does. It's a good chunk more comfortable, in my opinion, thanks to the more natural controller shape. Downside is it's considerably larger, so if you're taking it traveling, it will take up a lot of your bag space.

PowerBeard posted:

Nice, how long have you found the battery lasting for you, or do you only test it with a charger?

Obviously depends what you're doing. You get a good few hours. Again, it's in the same ballpark as the Switch.

The most interesting thing I've done with it is play through some of AOE2's campaign missions. What's cool about it is it hooks into the same ecosystem as the Steam controller for input, so you can take advantage of all of the mappings that people have made for the Steam controller over the years. I grabbed some highly-voted AOE2 mapping and it played great. Or as great as you can expect a M&K RTS to play on a gamepad :) Wouldn't want to do multiplayer with it, but single player missions worked great. Playing AOE2 on the couch was a pretty rad experience.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How does a Switch emulator run on it?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah yeah the fact that we have a handheld device that can play the entire PC ecosystem of games past and present - untold thousands upon thousands of classic games - well that's alright for what it is, but come on, the people want to know - can this thing run Switch games?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mozi posted:

Yeah yeah the fact that we have a handheld device that can play the entire PC ecosystem of games past and present - untold thousands upon thousands of classic games - well that's alright for what it is, but come on, the people want to know - can this thing run Switch games?

New Pokemon Snap is better than any of those

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I 100% am interested in how it runs emulators.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That's not something I can talk about, but I will say I expect people to do some amazing things once the public gets their hands on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
How's the heat/noise after long play sessions? Does it feel hot to hold when playing?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
PS2 PS3 emulator?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

PS2 PS3 emulator?

PS2 shouldn't be an issue but 3... eh maybe not so much.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I think I'm going to very much enjoy the Deck specifically playing PC-heavy games like weirdo indie strategy and management games.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Mozi posted:

How it handles emulation is the deciding factor on if I follow through and buy the Steam Deck.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

How it handles emulation is the deciding factor on if I follow through and buy the Steam Deck.

:yeah:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

I mean you can see how the current devices do it and maybe add on a bit more performance. Its certainly not going to be a revolutionary emulation device but upon release it should be the most powerful handheld emulation device for its price.

The closest units are nearly double the price.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It’s gonna be the new Vita

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s gonna be the new Vita

I'm ok with this because I love my dumb Vita with its over priced (at launch before the SD2Vita) memory cards.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I meant that in a good way as in after the vita got hacked

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone posted a quick benchmark test of his dev unit.

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/steam-deck-benchmarks-60-fps-gaming-experience-reasonable-eye-candy

quote:

Game Graphics Setting Frame Rate
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Highest / High / Custom 30 FPS /36 FPS / 60 FPS
Doom Medium / Custom 60 FPS / 46 FPS
Cyberpunk 2077 High 20 FPS - 30 FPS
DOTA 2 Highest / Low 47 FPS / 80 FPS
In Doom, the frame rate fluctuated around the 60 FPS mark on the medium setting. With a more demanding preset, the Steam Deck pushed out 46 FPS, and the gameplay was still smooth, according to the reviewer. Again, he didn't state the options that were changed.

Cyberpunk 2077, which is known to cripple even the best graphics cards, was tough on the Steam Deck. On the high preset, the frame rate oscillated between 20 FPS and 30 FPS, and the freezing was evident. For an acceptable experience, you'd need to lower the graphics setting to medium or low. Unfortunately, the review didn't test those presets.

DOTA 2 was obviously more forgiving on the device. The Steam Deck delivered frame rates up to 47 FPS on the highest preset and 80 FPS on the low preset.

During his testing, the reviewer measured the temperatures on the Steam Deck. He noted that the rear of the handheld PC was around 42.6 degrees Celsius and 29 degrees Celsius on the grips. In about three hours of game time, the battery life went from 100% to 46%. This is the development kit so there is margin for optimization. For reference, the Steam Deck is equipped with a 40 Wh Lithium-ion battery.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
can’t believe it didn’t hit 60fps in cyberpunk on high settings. Cancelling my preorder

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

honestly, i know switch emulation will probably be poo poo, I only care about hyrule warriors on the switch (which runs perfect on yuzu), so I'm happy to be able to play my steam library on the deck, and if it can also run hyrule warriors ill be extra happy

I already have a switch, i just don't get to use it because my kids lol

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

tithin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 30, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

can’t believe it didn’t hit 60fps in cyberpunk on high settings. Cancelling my preorder

If it can run it on medium like that I would be pretty impressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

If it can run it on medium like that I would be pretty impressed

Maybe on low.

Possibly 30fps on medium but the game isn’t that optimized so who knows.