Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1443578196947914764?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Hello_Tailor/status/1443642608455241735

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

soda is 3 bucks wtf

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Southern Europe is being rampaged by them because they refuse to allow hunting

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Southern Europe is being rampaged by them because they refuse to allow hunting

nature is healing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
all those writers are telling on themselves by never comparing any of those korean movies to the man from nowhere, villainess, , the witch pt1, confidential assignment, no tears for the dead, or, significantly, the yellow sea (since that's also about a guy trying to escape his debt)

what im saying is the coward media wont watch kick rear end action from korea when trying to say every other movie from korea is about class struggle

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Maed posted:

friends was the worst sitcom ever until Big Bang theory came out

:thunk:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

the worst episode of the Simpsons has better jokes than the best episode of the Big Bang theory

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

the worst episode of the Simpsons has better jokes than the best episode of the Big Bang theory
I think the argument is about Simpsons vs. Friends.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
same thing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

i would not take that bet but only because ive seen an episode of the simpsons from the last ten years

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

all those writers are telling on themselves by never comparing any of those korean movies to the man from nowhere, villainess, , the witch pt1, confidential assignment, no tears for the dead, or, significantly, the yellow sea (since that's also about a guy trying to escape his debt)

what im saying is the coward media wont watch kick rear end action from korea when trying to say every other movie from korea is about class struggle

the guy who made squid game is a reasonably well known director but not for anything you could really call class commentary hes got a sentimental movie about a korean adoptee a dark docudrama about abused kids at a school for the disabled and a comedy about a granny who briefly regains her youth

i guess you could sort of call the fortress a movie about class struggle in that it depicts korean leadership attempting to survive a manchu invasion entirely on the power of unicorn farts while the less idiotic characters who interact with the drafted soldiers attempt to point out that theyre totally outgunned and the mongols are barely even asking for anything their demands are literally just acknowledge the qing dynasty runs china and well go home and leave you alone

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been watching the Dark Side of the Ring series, on horrible stuff related to Wrestling.

It's pretty crazy!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Some Guy TT posted:

i would not take that bet but only because ive seen an episode of the simpsons from the last ten years

oh yeah it’s garbage

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Loop528/status/1443602648612147204?s=20

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

eichenwald is a film critic now?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Did someone finally do something interesting with a marvel property?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

that, and south koreans are, with considerable difficulty, coming into their own as a culture with its own voice in the context of capitalism. even with a webcomic that isn't explicitly about the real world and only thematically tied to its politics, you quickly become aware that the creators are often literally destroying their bodies to keep up the schedule expected of them by Naver (which is like a combo Korean Google + webcomic hub).

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
no wonder hodgepodge got so upset about snyder not being art. he is a snyder cultist

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Judakel posted:

no wonder hodgepodge got so upset about snyder not being art. he is a snyder cultist

only as an avatar of kali-ma

kali ma! skakti de!

in seriousness, all due respect to the mahadevis kali and shakti, though

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

only as an avatar of kali-ma

kali ma! skakti de!

in seriousness, all due respect to the mahadevis kali and shakti, though

they're making a prequel to army of the dead but there are no dead in it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Judakel posted:

they're making a prequel to army of the dead but there are no dead in it

brilliant. a true autuer.

i'm kinda sick of zombies but im not sure that's the approach i'd take to the problem

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Whoa why didn't anyone tell me this was the Squid Game thread

I don't know if this particular genre has a more definite name than like "thriller" or "suspense" or whatever but I am enamored by these sorts of premise show/films like 13 Game of Death/Battle Royale/Cube/The Circle etc. and goddamn is Squid Game such a beautiful addition to that collection

Best television that's come out this year, easily

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

brilliant. a true autuer.

i'm kinda sick of zombies but im not sure that's the approach i'd take to the problem

he is not involved

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

gonna frame this on the wall for the next time someone says we only talk about comic book movies

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Judakel posted:

he is not involved

drat i had already began setting aside eight hours to watch it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I don't know if this particular genre has a more definite name than like "thriller" or "suspense" or whatever but I am enamored by these sorts of premise show/films like 13 Game of Death/Battle Royale/Cube/The Circle etc. and goddamn is Squid Game such a beautiful addition to that collection

Circle is pretty funny in just how livid people get at the monetary twist near the end. It's like being mad angels in Battlestar Galactica were always telling the truth that they are angels

You should watch coherence, it's not quite like the competition ones but has some similarities and is quite excellent

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

circle (from Taggart Productions) is literally objectivist propaganda

e: wait are we talking circle (2015) or the circle (2017)?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

you might like the platform on Netflix (if you haven't seen it already)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOJLDHnuHkg

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Judakel posted:

he is not involved

???

approaching "journal of zizek studies"-level involvement, imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

that, and south koreans are, with considerable difficulty, coming into their own as a culture with its own voice in the context of capitalism. even with a webcomic that isn't explicitly about the real world and only thematically tied to its politics, you quickly become aware that the creators are often literally destroying their bodies to keep up the schedule expected of them by Naver (which is like a combo Korean Google + webcomic hub).

They even a invented a new term to describe modern day capitalistic Korea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Joseon

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

etalian posted:

They even a invented a new term to describe modern day capitalistic Korea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Joseon

yeah, there was a whole arc of Tower of God centered around a character based on the concept, Hell Joe

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

God Hole posted:

Would you care to expand on that?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

mandatory lesbian posted:

Look dog, just bc its black and white doesnt mean its not kinky

I've watched some of his work and I never picked up on it. Gonna have to revisit this stuff :feet:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

???

approaching "journal of zizek studies"-level involvement, imo

story by credits and producer credits are entirely bullshit that don't mean any actual involvement in the making or script writing process. his wife is most likely the producer of the film just like she is for his films

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

God Hole posted:

e: wait are we talking circle (2015) or the circle (2017)?

I definitely meant Circle (though I have also watched "The Circle" and... it definitely fits the bill of objectivist/authenticist propaganda) but it turns out I didn't watch circle, I actually meant

ArmZ posted:

the platform on Netflix

which... I think is forgivable. All these films have similar titles to the point where they kinda blur. Now I am intrigued to watch Circle though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

500 good dogs posted:

squid game was enjoyable but the entire cop arc was dumb as poo poo and added nothing

It was just to give perspective on the villain side of things. It was disappointing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/emi_f1sher/status/1443679864809218062?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I definitely meant Circle (though I have also watched "The Circle" and... it definitely fits the bill of objectivist/authenticist propaganda) but it turns out I didn't watch circle, I actually meant

which... I think is forgivable. All these films have similar titles to the point where they kinda blur. Now I am intrigued to watch Circle though.

Tried Circle after a friend recommended it and don't waste your time, it's trash.

I shut it off when one of the black guys raises a concern that the majority white group is going to choose the black people to die first and all the other black characters roll their eyes and tell him to stop trying to play the race card.