Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
vote for me. Supported by the FashForward party, the progressive, nice fascism you love, with a hard core for the hard liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pooky posted:

this whole overlapping crises thing is great. whenever you get too worried about one problem you can just take a deep breath and remember that none of this loving matters because there's always something bigger and worse going on.

and even if you pretend anything matters we don't have a leg to stand on when complaining about current conditions, societal or other wise. The hellworld coming for the new generation is going to be unspeakably horrific.

:cry: a chud got shot, close the thread! lol the world is literally ending who cares about either of them. enjoy the show lmao.

I liked A Serious Man dealing with this. and it’s climate appropriate!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sind sie ein einheimischer? Nein? Dann hol deinen arsch den strand runter. Diese wellen sind nur für einheimische!!!

Wie ich sehe, skatest du mit "goofy" footed und hast gerade einen "nollie" Kickflip 360 ausgeführt. Sehr beeindruckend. Aber ich fürchte auch, sehr illegal.

Funky See Funky Do has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Sep 30, 2021

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

God Hole posted:

i'm currently recovering from valley fever, a disease with an accelerating infection rate due to climate change. it sucked because the acute period of the illness had the exact same symptoms as covid, during a global outbreak of covid lol so for months my doctor was giving me all these antibiotics to clear up the "long-covid pneumonia" that was ruining my life, meanwhile this fungus is happily flourishing in my lungs.

as the world heats up, fungi are going to build up a tolerance to heat that may one day eclipse the average body temperature of land mammals. do not worry about the vibrancy of life, friends. fungus will thrive in the world we're leaving behind.

I remember staying with my lover at the renn faire in Arizona and being warned about this

they all live on-site, and maybe, maybe, someone has enough money to have an rv with A/C that has clean filters

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sind sie ein einheimischer? Nein? Dann hol deinen arsch den strand runter. Diese wellen sind nur für einheimische!!!

Wie ich sehe, skatest du mit "goofy" footed und hast gerade einen "nollie" Kickflip 360 ausgeführt. Sehr beeindruckend. Aber ich fürchte auch, sehr illegal.

oh, leeching coal energy from all of europe isnt enough so now germans have to leech posts from this thread, huh?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shifty Nipples posted:

i wouldn't be angry if when searching the desolate wastes i happen to discover a shipping container full of Snickers®

i believe the more traditional desolate waste treat is a can of coke, shared with your son who's never tried it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Minrad posted:

oh, leeching coal energy from all of europe isnt enough so now germans have to leech posts from this thread, huh?

Oh? Ist das so? Das ist sehr lustig für dich zu sagen. Colonel, bringt ihn zur "halfpipe".

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Cloks posted:

i believe the more traditional desolate waste treat is a can of coke, shared with your son who's never tried it

Unless you find a survivalist bunker cause then it's all Vitamin water

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Minrad posted:

something else that occured to me thinking about biomass furnances: what is the actual time scale of say, a gallon of gasoline? how much oil was processed to make that galloon, and how many trees died and got buried over how many years to make my car go 25 miles? just how hard are we swindling the biological time scale in smaller scales like that?

I hope that, after a million years, my dick and balls will have turned into a sufficient amount of fossil fuels for a hyper-intelligent octopus to shitpost on the octo-internet that squids are stealing all their jobs

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if fish didn't want to get killed by us making the ocean warmer and more acidic they should have evolved better

dumbass jerks

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Fish are f****** f******.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Spergin Morlock posted:

an ice cream snickers

:hmmyes:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Deep Dream's diminishing returns

quote:

DEEP LEARNING IS NOW being used to translate between languages, predict how proteins fold, analyze medical scans, and play games as complex as Go, to name just a few applications of a technique that is now becoming pervasive. Success in those and other realms has brought this machine-learning technique from obscurity in the early 2000s to dominance today.

The flexibility of neural networks comes from taking the many inputs to the model and having the network combine them in myriad ways. This means the outputs won't be the result of applying simple formulas but instead immensely complicated ones.

For example, when the cutting-edge image-recognition system Noisy Student converts the pixel values of an image into probabilities for what the object in that image is, it does so using a network with 480 million parameters. The training to ascertain the values of such a large number of parameters is even more remarkable because it was done with only 1.2 million labeled images—which may understandably confuse those of us who remember from high school algebra that we are supposed to have more equations than unknowns. Breaking that rule turns out to be the key.

Deep-learning models are overparameterized, which is to say they have more parameters than there are data points available for training. Classically, this would lead to overfitting, where the model not only learns general trends but also the random vagaries of the data it was trained on. Deep learning avoids this trap by initializing the parameters randomly and then iteratively adjusting sets of them to better fit the data using a method called stochastic gradient descent. Surprisingly, this procedure has been proven to ensure that the learned model generalizes well.

So the good news is that deep learning provides enormous flexibility. The bad news is that this flexibility comes at an enormous computational cost. This unfortunate reality has two parts.

The first part is true of all statistical models: To improve performance by a factor of k, at least k2 more data points must be used to train the model. The second part of the computational cost comes explicitly from overparameterization. Once accounted for, this yields a total computational cost for improvement of at least k4. That little 4 in the exponent is very expensive: A 10-fold improvement, for example, would require at least a 10,000-fold increase in computation.

To make the flexibility-computation trade-off more vivid, consider a scenario where you are trying to predict whether a patient's X-ray reveals cancer. Suppose further that the true answer can be found if you measure 100 details in the X-ray (often called variables or features). The challenge is that we don't know ahead of time which variables are important, and there could be a very large pool of candidate variables to consider.

The expert-system approach to this problem would be to have people who are knowledgeable in radiology and oncology specify the variables they think are important, allowing the system to examine only those. The flexible-system approach is to test as many of the variables as possible and let the system figure out on its own which are important, requiring more data and incurring much higher computational costs in the process.

Models for which experts have established the relevant variables are able to learn quickly what values work best for those variables, doing so with limited amounts of computation—which is why they were so popular early on. But their ability to learn stalls if an expert hasn't correctly specified all the variables that should be included in the model. In contrast, flexible models like deep learning are less efficient, taking vastly more computation to match the performance of expert models. But, with enough computation (and data), flexible models can outperform ones for which experts have attempted to specify the relevant variables.

Important work by scholars at the University of Massachusetts Amherst allows us to understand the economic cost and carbon emissions implied by this computational burden. The answers are grim: Training such a model would cost US $100 billion and would produce as much carbon emissions as New York City does in a month. And if we estimate the computational burden of a 1 percent error rate, the results are considerably worse.

From the linked paper:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cloks posted:

polar bears appear in the background

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1443583915084627968

rip this cool looking bird.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
sounds pretty arrogant though, maybe it had it coming

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"I am the Lord God Bird"

gently caress off jerk

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Rectal Death Adept posted:

sounds pretty arrogant though, maybe it had it coming

It was named for the exclamation it supposedly elicited in observers, so I think it should be renamed the Lol. Lmao bird

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Some have wondered if Greta is an op but I think it's more likely she's genuine but the elites just use her as a release valve for the frustration of people who understand the gravity of the situation and want something done about it.

I assume in future conferences she'll be given the opportunity to directly yell at world leaders and oil CEOs on stage with her.

*Swede voice*
"You fuckers are killing us, you're killing us all. The blood of billions is on your hands!"

Everyone will clap, even the world leaders and CEOs, even when Greta pulls a comically sized lever and dumps a bunch of blood on them. Then they all depart and head home in their private planes and nothing changes.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

ughhhh posted:

Had a lovely conversation with my grandmother today who lives in Nepal. She was really cheerful and talked to me about how much she misses me and how great all her grandchildren are and cant wait to see all of us together one day and feed us a great big feast with produce she grows in her garden. It was really nice :3:

Then i thought about everything that has happened in the past decade. The civil war got me to run from the country to study abroad. Many of my family died. Then half my village got covid and alot of people died. Most of them were older people, women, young kids. Most of the men from the village are in the gulf states working as migrant labor and no one has heard from them. Harvest was awful since the monsoon didn't come as it does, and when it did it washed away a nearby village. No one can plan the rice planting according to the almanac and religious calendar like we used to. The south of the country where we could reliably grow rice in has had a constant series of locust plagues druing the harvest since 2019. Most of the calories these days come from wai wai instant noodles according to the local health post that i keep in contact with. Her home in Kathmandu used to be in the middle of rice fields where i used to catch crawfish and snakes. Now her back garden barely grows anything because its surrounded by multistory houses people have built up which blocks the sunlight. The ground water well that used to water the garden and provide for the house can barely fill up even during the monsoon. The valley of Kathmandu that i left in 2007 used to have a population of under a million with barely any water or energy infrastructure to handle that, now has an unofficial population count of 2 million + with even less infrastructure since the earthquake. My cousins who haven't had a job in years but constantly take care of the family and village managed to bribe and fight their way to a doctor in a health system overwhelmed with covid patients because my grandmother was sick. Im so proud of them. Unfortunately there is nowhere to do a biopsy for the lump in her liver thats definitely cancer because there are no labs in Nepal. So im just here posting

lmao

lol

Thank you for the non-Western perspective. That sounds horrible and I hope that your family will be alright.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Hope is a mistake. Obliterate it from your vocab

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i hope it's possible to die

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

God Hole posted:

i hope it's possible to die

worst case scenario get covid a hundred times

sooner or later you'll be in the lucky one percent

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
with all the cool side effects of covid i wouldn't be surprised if in a tiny fraction of all cases it makes you immortal

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

quote:

SpaceX’s proposal involved 16 launches, with just one official safety review. The 16 launches include one launch of an orbital fuel station, 14 launches of “fuel tankers” to fill up the fuel station in orbit, and one launch of the Moon-bound Starship that will fill up at the fuel station to travel the rest of the way to the lunar surface

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/9/29/22689729/blue-origin-moon-lunar-lander-price-nasa-hls-foia

I somehow missed that part of the proposal. Also Jeff is mad about stuff.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Complications posted:

worst case scenario get covid a hundred times

sooner or later you'll be in the lucky one percent

i meant it more from a buddhist perspective

the official thread stance is still that you should not kill yourself

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bowser posted:

Some have wondered if Greta is an op but I think it's more likely she's genuine but the elites just use her as a release valve for the frustration of people who understand the gravity of the situation and want something done about it.

I assume in future conferences she'll be given the opportunity to directly yell at world leaders and oil CEOs on stage with her.

*Swede voice*
"You fuckers are killing us, you're killing us all. The blood of billions is on your hands!"

Everyone will clap, even the world leaders and CEOs, even when Greta pulls a comically sized lever and dumps a bunch of blood on them. Then they all depart and head home in their private planes and nothing changes.

"It's so cute, she thinks she's people!" :v:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
a crack/ping? https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1443325746932502530

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Erghh posted:

a crack/ping?

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1443326005301624837
hah!

Serf
May 5, 2011

lol

https://twitter.com/kylenabecker/status/1443346166071050241?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DID YOU KNOW THAT CO2 IS A VITAL COMPONENT FOR HUMAN LIFE? REALLY MAKES YOU THINK!

(paid for by the Shut The gently caress Up and Keep Operating IC Vehicles You Proles PAC)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

his gimmick is freaking out then remembering he lives comfortably and settling down until the next big freakout. america b*tch

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Homeless Friend posted:

his gimmick is freaking out then remembering he lives comfortably and settling down until the next big freakout.

oh, so he's a fellow thread poster?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

That's some serious cope.

The amount of likes too. LMAO

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

lmao

And sure CO2 has been lower in earth history, but last I checked that time period wasn't part of human history

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

lmao

And sure CO2 has been lower in earth history, but last I checked that time period wasn't part of human history

Don't forget, the *entirety* of history is only 6-10,000 years*! :downs:

* depending on what evangelical/fundamentalist worldview you subscribe to.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzxlSGulR84

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Sep 30, 2021

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

bowser posted:

*Swede voice*

ops and useful idiots are the same thing

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

vote for me. Supported by the FashForward party, the progressive, nice fascism you love, with a hard core for the hard liners.

Seattle's next mayor agrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rime posted:

Tossing and turning in bed tonight, my mind settled on something which hasn't stopped bothering me since my excessive travels in America. I'd just write this in my journal, but I seem to have lost it on a mountainside in July. Forums posting takes the place of a blog. More readers here anyways.

There is a lack of vibrancy in the world, today, everything has become sterile. In the 1990's and early 2000's, I guess, we hadn't aggressively urban sprawled so far yet, and just straight up hadn't killed off so much. It really, really hosed me up, I think, to have seen so much of the continent so fast through the eyes of someone who knows how bad a state the biosphere is and in to process speedrun an understanding of just how barren and desertified and over-developed this continent has become.

I have a nearly photographic long-term memory, so it is staggering to lay there and play back experiences in my mind from twenty years ago to today. To think of how the ocean had a smell to it, and forests had such sound. How when you walked in nature, you could feel it buzzing around you with vibrancy, but that even then it was the death throes of an ecosystem compared to a century prior. It is impossible to look at photographs or video from even fifty years ago, and contrast it to today, and not realize that the world already ended years ago while you were playing a videogame.

Realizing that the world I grew up in and which shaped me as I ran through its glades and meadows, caught fireflies by rainforest streams, was already a dying and severely damaged one. That's some poo poo.

I used to have plans, I wanted to kayak the Broughton Archipelago, spend a month exploring the Spatsizi on foot, cross the Brooks Peninsula - never touched by the last ice age and home to a staggering array of unrecorded plants. Build a homestead far away from the internet and society and quite happily avoid the madness for a long, long time. Visions held in my imagination, vague memories of places visited and places read about and places seen in documentaries.

Whenever I think of these plans now, they have the taste of ash, because I know whatever ecosystem existed there when I dreamed them up has been rendered silent by our excesses - or will be by the time I finally say enough is enough and put down my career for good. I know it will, because this already the case on every trip I've done in the past several years. The landscapes remain, but the vibrancy has been stilled. Just my footsteps and the wind and rarely a bird so far away it may just be a memory. No buzzing of life, only of chainsaws if there's old growth nearby. Drying moss and reddening cedars, a sea bereft of jumping salmon, the air oddly clear of insects, and a forest floor with not a beetle to be seen.

To hear the owl call your name is the harbinger of death, to my aunts people - the Kwakwaka'wakw, but what when there are no owls left to call?

What then?

"Once there were brook trouts in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

-Cormac McCarthy The Road