Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: No fibbing, a fish thaaat big! (1935/49)

We're almost through the comic's first full year, the remaining three comics for 1935 are Christmas and New Years' specials - now is as good as time as any to take a quick break from weekly installments and look at the bonus comics from that book I mentioned.
This is such a good comic. :33:

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Someone gets a dog on impulse and with no idea how to properly train or care for a dog, then tries to fix bad behaviors by doing random things that won't actually work. A sadly realistic comic.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Columbo's cold opens seem to get longer every season.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Wow, genuine low-hanging fruit.

Docks

Retail

Popcom

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Murdstone posted:

Are old people typically invited to go back to their high school and do their old routines for Homecoming, or is this a Funky Winkerbean thing?
Alumni marching bands at Homecoming are totally a thing. I've taken part in a couple at my collegiate alma mater. We'd hang out in the stands with the band, take part in all the cheers and shenanigans during the game -- trombone field goals, that sort of thing -- then during the half time show we'd march out in a block for two songs, one that's part of the program and the fight song finale. Good times. It's usually something more recent grads take part in, but you'll also get the occasional diehard from like the Class of '77 who keeps showing up every year.

Now I've never heard of one at a high school, but in that part of Ohio marching band is srsbzns so maybe?

Dang, way to be inadvertently timely again Docks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's a low bar to cross, Stu.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Huh, something interesting to read about with the streamlined ship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Kalakala

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love my av but damned if it isn't tempting

Up for grabs

CHRIST ON THE
PROVERBIAL
FLIPPING BIKE!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My daughter used to like Oobi back in the day, too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

howe_sam posted:

Alumni marching bands at Homecoming are totally a thing. I've taken part in a couple at my collegiate alma mater. We'd hang out in the stands with the band, take part in all the cheers and shenanigans during the game -- trombone field goals, that sort of thing -- then during the half time show we'd march out in a block for two songs, one that's part of the program and the fight song finale. Good times. It's usually something more recent grads take part in, but you'll also get the occasional diehard from like the Class of '77 who keeps showing up every year.

Now I've never heard of one at a high school, but in that part of Ohio marching band is srsbzns so maybe?

Suddenly I'm wondering what percentage of band kids actually continue playing after they graduate. Once you're out of school, there's no more band that's just automatically THERE for you to be part of anymore, you'd have to intentionally seek out an orchestra or a garage band that happens to need an oboist (or whatever the hell you play), and audition for it and make a time commitment etc.

When I finished high school, I basically never picked up my instrument again. There are things I sometimes miss about being in the school band, but it turns out actually playing music... isn't really one of them.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Powered Descent posted:

Suddenly I'm wondering what percentage of band kids actually continue playing after they graduate. Once you're out of school, there's no more band that's just automatically THERE for you to be part of anymore, you'd have to intentionally seek out an orchestra or a garage band that happens to need an oboist (or whatever the hell you play), and audition for it and make a time commitment etc.

When I finished high school, I basically never picked up my instrument again. There are things I sometimes miss about being in the school band, but it turns out actually playing music... isn't really one of them.

Lots of places have community bands that have lax or no audition/instrument policies. I joined one before covid after not playing my instrument since high school and it was nice.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Bloop posted:

Up for grabs

CHRIST ON THE
PROVERBIAL
FLIPPING BIKE!

Looks good, but might make more sense to centre Lottie in the frame, IMHO.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, I think the offset nature of it adds to the unsettling vibe.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The Bloop posted:

Up for grabs

CHRIST ON THE
PROVERBIAL
FLIPPING BIKE!

I dig it, but I like her facing the poster's text better:

goatface posted:

:same:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online "Can't Believe the CIA Can't Handle Bad Vibes Despite Dishing Them Out Constantly"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hostile V posted:

Funny Online "Can't Believe the CIA Can't Handle Bad Vibes Despite Dishing Them Out Constantly"

I don't... I don't understand. KC Green used to be funny, what is this?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Half of Gun Show was pretty bad pure stream of consciousness and random ideas but the other half was pure gold so a strip a week of FOL feels pretty bad as it happens IMO :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Looks good, but might make more sense to centre Lottie in the frame, IMHO.

goatface posted:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "290 - Jucika And Parquet Polishing"

"291 - Jucika Is Searching For The Key"

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! September 24, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 13, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 12, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 14, 1936

Mopsy June 17, 1937

Up Front July 26, 1944

Dark Laughter December 4, 1948

“Bootsie, you don’t have ‘ta drag me past these stores like Jackie Robinson stealin’ second. Shucks, you ain’t got nothin’ to worry ‘bout anyway … I’m quittin’ you BEFORE Christmas!”

Those Were the Days June 21, 1956

Wee Pals January 4, 1966

Dogbert June 13, 1966

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Good job it wasn't his brother Enis.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before OKAY, EVERYBODY CHILL FOR A SECOND

Skippy (February 2, 1934)

Peanuts (February 3, 1974)

Slippy CrackerCRUNCH

And speaking of broken old things, here's Crankshaft.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 2, 1938)

Out Our Way (June 21-23, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (February 18-20, 1918)

Dok's "Self Owns Are His BEST Owns" Duck (October 20, 1913)

Little Lefty (June 6-8, 1935)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (June 6-8, 1935)

I guess that's before J. Jonah Jameson bought them out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So she wasn't just dressed up for the game for old time sake, she's there to do a routine, alone, in the rain...

Who authorized this? Is this gonna be like a The Lottery or Midsomar where it's a ritual killing?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

garfield hentai posted:

I have a visceral hatred for the original version of this strip where Hobbes turns back to normal, not because of the strip itself but because of the glut of "childhood ruined I'm literally sobbing right now" or "here's a lovely fancomic where Calvin's grown up and married to Susie as eye bleach" that always inevitably followed
The only "grown Calvin" comic I liked was a four-panel mocking the "grown Calvin schmaltz eye bleach married to Susie garbage." My search talent sucks though and I can't find it but every panel had grown Calvin crying and the final panel I think was him peeing on Moe's grave while crying.

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (February 14-16, 1918)
He was reading this

B Kliban

Not sure what he's trying to say but it could be taken offensively in a lot of ways so I'll just spoil it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chako's complaints mace. :3:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MariusLecter posted:

So she wasn't just dressed up for the game for old time sake, she's there to do a routine, alone, in the rain...

Who authorized this? Is this gonna be like a The Lottery or Midsomar where it's a ritual killing?

To the glue factory with her.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

And yet the author for this voted for Trump...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Gorilla's Choice is still the best fake banana brand name.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True November 13, 1918

I know Everett True could be a bit old fashioned and uncomfortable even before, but it really seems like WWI turned him from "A man who stands up for etiquette and the working class" into full blown "Poor hating racist rear end in a top hat."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Gorilla's Choice is still the best fake banana brand name.

It is my sincere hope that, at some point in the near future, a Simpsons writer posts to their Twitter a handwritten list of the fake brand names that didn't make the cut (Though given that "BananCo" was the other one in the episode...it might not be a deep field.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

maltesh posted:

Oh yeah, Kevin's Dad's in jail to protect that "impostor", isn't he?

But yeah, she's decided to start eating people after a week or so of having changed universes. No questions, no reservations. Just cannibalism.

Um, yeah, about that. ("That" being both things you wrote in your post.)

Classic Kevin & Kell in: Danielle adjusts to the new situation (November 3-9, 2003)

Dun dun DUNN

Reminder: what Danielle did in the first strip is not murder, since she ate the person she killed.

This tells you a lot about both hellworld (that it's, well, hell) and Danielle. Seriously girl you've been here for what, a month, tops, and you're already started killing people. Really makes you wonder if the only thing that stopped her from doing so in the human world were laws against it.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

That is an extremely good skunk