Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheDemon posted:

Any ships you have managed to move to the retreat point in battle will successfully retreat if you press retreat. Any that did not will die. It is definitely unclear.

The Retreat button could REALLY benefit from a confirmation popup. since 99% of the time you want to retry anyhow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
:cripes:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Name a ship RETRY IS GOOD

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Slaan posted:

Name a ship EYEBALL THAT NUKE

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Slaan posted:

Name one NO RETREAT and another one NO, RETREAT

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Any chance you could remember to update the thread? I know where to find the videos on Youtube and all, but...

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, I enjoyed reading the summaries of the various videos with the occasional added depth.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I do appreciate that you've slowed down and thought through stuff! You've made me way better at the game following your style, thanks!!!

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Did you ever end up refitting the Sevastapol like you were planning? I recall something about D-30S but I don't think you've done it yet, but I'm curious how you would.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Crazy Achmed posted:

PLEASE

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crazy Achmed posted:

He can rename the Zero Sum to th...wait.

Oh well, the Mindful Shaleighleigh at least can be ren...
Which couldn't you have saved if you didn't try to go back in the last time? Since it had left the battlefield via retreat on the last sortie

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Veloxyll posted:

He can rename the Zero Sum to th...wait.

Oh well, the Mindful Shaleighleigh at least can be ren...
Which couldn't you have saved if you didn't try to go back in the last time? Since it had left the battlefield via retreat on the last sortie

I don't think he realized that he had left by retreat and not been destroyed

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I mentioned the retreat on YouTube (dictatorhat is my name there) but also asking for support increases crew morale not ship count.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Pervis posted:

Did you ever end up refitting the Sevastapol like you were planning? I recall something about D-30S but I don't think you've done it yet, but I'm curious how you would.

Yeah, I for one am quite interested to see how this turns out, given that it seems to be a bit of a booby prize starting out, but very thematically fitting.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheDemon posted:

I don't think he realized that he had left by retreat and not been destroyed

I thought he was aware they were safely retreated, but then foolishly hit the retry button despite knowing they'd be on 1 morale and thus riotous, rather than retreat making a novel change for the LP

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Doesn't the star over Imgur mean there is a Tarkhan you discovered there that you haven't talked to?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Welp, what happens if you run out of viable strike craft? I'm guessing either sell off a bunch of stuff to buy one, or trudge around launching airstrikes and hoping the sevastopol can clean up & salvage enough to afford a new bruiser of some kind?

It feels like the game is saying that at this point you either need to be some kind of aiming wizard or be ditching your lightnings for something much tougher, given how many things are flinging prox ammo and tons of missiles at you.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
If you can see the screen through your blackout, you're Lightningning suboptimally.

Alternate answer - shoot down the prox ammo.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Just wrapped up my 2nd play through, and wow using the ship works once you know what you're doing can really break the game. My design broadly followed the same principles the latest video laid out by way of convergent design.

The Prickly Pear:

Almost as maneuverable as a lightning, able to get town to town, 4xAK-100s (or D-80s if you like). 4 and 4 engines. Full crew and escape pods even though I don't think they do anything. Skipping landing gear is a trap, you need it to get repair bonus!

The use for reinforced hull parts as ablative defense and use of elevated fixed engines both hugely added to its survivability. I thought you needed to use big parts to get elevation or I would have used the spikes on the bottom as well. Even with the extra hull you need to mostly dodge missiles 180+ guns.

Even on hard it was soloing late game garrisons with 10+ ships including stuff like archangels. For fun I tired it solo against the last strike group and scrapped by a win.

Edit: I still don't know that I love Palash, but I added 4x to a few of the pears on the way.

Also shout out to the Ultralight. Part delivery, trade fleet shadowing, intel post using all for just 900.

Even if not using shipworks I would make a few of these out of whatever I could buy and didn't need. It looks like ship prices are purely the sum of their parts, so you'll get almost everything back when you sell them.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 6, 2021

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
How to turn a Yars into a combat frigate:

Step 1.) Remove 95% of the Yars

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Seriously though, if you convert that ship please name it the Yars of Theseus

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

If we manage to take down a trade fleet or two with it, I say we rename it the Yarrrs :yarr:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Might want to note that if your ship has any armor the AI can sometimes switch to AP ammo, and when that happens using 3 large magazines and having them all adjacent to your bridge means you'll be morale-tanking a lot of instadeaths.

Also a lot of vanilla ship designs put fire extinguishers outside, making them get instantly destroyed by proximity blasts since they only have 10hp, and then you don't have any way of putting out fires on the multiple exposed fuel tanks that were also hit by the same shot.

Just a couple of ways that the ships in the game were originally made to be easily defeated with clever positioning and judicious use of special ammo, but in 1.13 the AI can cycle between multiple ammo types in ways the player currently can't, and the enemy has infinite ammo and they're given all their ships for free so they fly like kamikaze idiots and prox-spam like they're trying to run that poo poo into the ground.

I've discovered a way to make exploding magazines not damage surrounding components: using small-triangle hull blocks to create gaps to install triangular armor wedges inside your (small) magazines. It looks incredibly silly but it works, and unfortunately trying to design your ships to follow vanilla aesthetics is gonna get you exploded a lot.

Or don't use any armor at all and make your ship a big wall of 2A37 miniguns so you can fight spam with spam and shoot down any projectiles.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
This may be relevant to the whole ship-designing discussion.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Come to think of it, does the AI always lead its shots perfectly? I.e. if you take your hands off the controls and don't change course after the shots are in the air, will its salvos always be centred on where you ship is headed?

Anyway, plot speculation. I'm actually wondering if the rain we're seeing is not water but hydrocarbons of some sort, because it feels like they really have a crap ton of fossil fuels available everywhere.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god the snoring doggo in the background :3:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BTW those 'missile carrier groups' mostly remain stationary but when they do move they go ~500km/h. Because they respond if one of your ships gets spotted/reported within ~1500km, and occasionally if your flagship is landed in a city when you get the "we just detected a transmission, someone must have contacted the governor" notification then missile fleets will path to you from much further away, stopping to refuel at cities along the way. And apparently they don't use or even need radar to fire their missiles because the strat frigate has a passive IRST with 300km range so they approach until they detect something and then blind-fire two missiles in rapid succession and then run to the nearest city to rearm.

And they launch a special variant of Schrodinger's A100 missiles armed with unclear warheads (missiles fired by the AI don't decide until the instant of detonation whether the payload is nuclear or high explosive, by checking the "we doing the nuclear war?" gamestate variable. this was a fun experiment)

...and yes, fuel tanks and generators (and engines/sensors) that haven't been installed yet have their reported range/thrust/power/etc reduced by 50% because the parts are considered to exist but have 0hp, so their effectiveness is the same as an almost-destroyed part. This is also why interrupted repairs instantly destroys all those 0hp parts and possibly instantly wreck the ship.

The issue you're having with installing hull pieces is that your parts are split into multiple stacks and the first stack of parts has only 1 part but you're trying to install a structure that takes 2 parts. And for some insane reason fleets merging does not merge their stacks of parts, the simplest way to merge stacks is to sell parts by rightclicking the smallest stack until it disappears, then re-buy parts if you need them.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 16, 2021

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, it says a lot about this game that so many parts are incredibly, lovingly detailed while other bits are still quite janky. We may have incorrect ship pictures at the rebuild/repair screen and parts not stacking, but by god we will accurately model the AI crafts' passive IR sensors.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Haven't caught the latest episode but from the replies it sounds like it was a real doozy :ohdear:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You can't have a dog snoring in the background without putting up a pic of the dog for us to :swoon: over!

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also, one of the ships must be named The Snoring Dog.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

let us peep that pooch

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Gervasius posted:

Also at first I was cringing over choosing the 25% to-succeed option in the speech event, but then I remembered that I've seen enough XCOM with 90% to-hit/hack chances falling flat spectacularly. I get the feeling that this game is much the same in that nothing is ever certain unless it says 100%...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gervasius posted:

The Sevestapol is the only logical ship for this title

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

never apologise for the doggo again OP

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Propose that the new Tarkhan's ship "The Snoring Pup"

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Been playing and playing around with radar a bit.

First thing to do, rip the radar off the Sevastopol and plonk it on to some long-ranged highly mobile ship. Scan for contacts and vector in your combat craft to hit them. Also good for finding hidden cities on ground-search mode. Tickling enemy ELINT (apparently they don't always have it?) doesn't appear to cause problems in the way that a radio report does what with disabling silent strike, I think the worst it drew was a missile when I had been tracking some ships for like a couple hours.

So flicking on radar, getting a contact that you can direct your weapons towards and then shutting it off to scoot away appears to be super useful. I put one of the 400km fire-control radars on a skylark and holy hell is that thing dangerous. Not by itself mind, but I just get it close-ish to a city and take a peek and who's there and maybe huck a missile or three at them or maybe some air strikes. Transport fleets are super vulnerable too, makes hunting them down quickly very easy.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Putting FCR and R-9s and strat missile tubes on a Skylark turns the tanker into a ship that counters missiles/airstrikes, and is supremely useful at annihilating strike fleets in nuclear war. You keep 400+ km/h speed and 4000+ range too. Best part is you can do this by stripping parts from the Sevestapol so all it costs is dock time.

Feels good when you have a Lightning sitting in the dock for repairs and you would otherwise eat an unexpected missile and lose a raiding fleet.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Lost a lightning like that. Woopsie.

Been refitting a Navarin into something hardier and tougher using some of the guidelines from Phrosphor's vids. Very useful.
I did however swap out one gun for a 37mm CIWS gun. Wow is that useful for shooting down missiles, and starts fires like whoa w/ incendiary ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

El Spamo posted:

Lost a lightning like that. Woopsie.

Not just any Lightning. The Lightning. The one, the only.

They snuffed the Rooster. The actual bastards did it. But you know…

(S)He ain’t gonna die. Not like this. This isn’t where the Rooster’s story ends.

Buy another Lightning and rename her Rooster’s Revenge. Those sonsuvbitches are gonna pay.