Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Agrikk is the closest computer-knower, and thusly is personally responsible for ensuring my computer works in the way I want at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Somethign is wonky with R3 SSL certs and Let's Encrypt

edit: ugh

https://marketresearchtelecast.com/lets-encrypt-certificates-stuttering-possible-on-september-30th/164576/

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 30, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This has not been an issue for anything using the system CA lists on an up-to-date OS. Unfortunately a lot of software bundles its own list and if that hasn't been updated things get unhappy. I've run in to it so far with nzbget, which downloads the curl list as part of its build process but since there hasn''t been a need for a release in some time that list is now outdated.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
this isn't a LE problem, it's a "your application/system is either out of date or misconfigured" problem

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I see someone from Slack is an active participant in this thread:

https://twitter.com/SlackStatus/status/1443666791180419082

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There isn't even anything sensitive in it, because I can look at that data via the application on top of it, which I have access to. They just don't want me to access it directly via SQL (e.g. for bulk export or joining with other data), because reasons.

I know this isn't the case here since you explained what the data was, but this can get you jail time if it was PHI or PII.

Logical access != permission to look at the raw data from the database even if you have access to the data via a UI or even have it as part of your regular duties to access the data.

Applications have logs, they can more easily audit access patterns. Bulk data exports may not. Ability to query data may come with other roles and responsibilities, but permission is not implicit with certain types of data and accessing it, even if it is too complete other tasks for your job, may not be allowed without express permission.

I had database admin role at one point with dbs that had PHI. Being admin, I could have queried the tables at any time, I needed said access in order to administer the server. However, had I done so, it would have been a HIPAA violation unless viewing the data was expressly part of my duties.

I couldn't, say, query a top ten to get a feel for the schema or data distribution. If I wanted that information I had to go to the development team to get their data schema or I had to go to the data steward and request permission to look at that data for those purposes.

It's really cut and dry with HIPAA. A coworker could leave printed out PHI on their desk uncovered (which could be it's own violation), but if you attempted to read it in passing, that itself could be a violation.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
No kidding:

Me: we heard from two of the ISPs that there was a fiber cut simultaneously in two different countries that had a strange multiplicative impact on your pops. Repairs are completed. Are you seeing a recovery?

Customer: Yes! Thanks for taking care of this Agrikk!

Me: but I didn’t… the fiber lines… it was…

I am an expert. I can do anything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

No kidding:

Me: we heard from two of the ISPs that there was a fiber cut simultaneously in two different countries that had a strange multiplicative impact on your pops. Repairs are completed. Are you seeing a recovery?

Customer: Yes! Thanks for taking care of this Agrikk!

Me: but I didn’t… the fiber lines… it was…

I am an expert. I can do anything.

That sketch infuriates me every time.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
"I need like...a command prompt or something...to write an algorithm"

*What?*

"You know...like BASIC or C++...I need to write a little program"

*A complier? Why? What are you trying to do?*

"I need to write a program to run an algorithm for me..."

*Yes, but for what purpose? What are you trying to achieve?*

"I have a bunch of figures that add up to X, but I want to know which ones to use to make it add up to Y"

*You can do that in Excel and 2 minutes of Googling...*

"No you can't. I've looked. So do we have anything installed like that?"

*Uhh, no, we don't*

(For the record, this guy is the Sales manager - he has absolutely no IT or programming knowledge. I am not sure how he figured he could just whip up something himself, although knowing him he would spend a few days trying to figure it out while ignoring his actual job)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sounds like a great time to stop being involved.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

There isn't even anything sensitive in it, because I can look at that data via the application on top of it, which I have access to. They just don't want me to access it directly via SQL (e.g. for bulk export or joining with other data), because reasons.

To be fair, the IT head is an AS400 guy that seems to be in over his head with all the new stuff. My boss told me he was proud as gently caress that he would be able to deliver data in ~*~*JsOn*~*~ for the very first time (they ran a query and saved it as JSON. Whooptyfuckingdoo.)

Back when discussions were had about the rewriting I mentioned earlier, their external consultant was there too. While the consultant and me were yapping about things like Node.JS, NPM and React, the IT head apparently sat there like "Yes yes, I know some of these words" (--edit: note, they're starting out web dev themselves). At least that's what I heard through the grapevine. Now that idiot wants to have a say on how I access data.

To be fair, I am a "I know some of these words guy" but from what you are telling me your manager should be going to bat for you to have access to this data to increase productivity as you have proved can be achieved.

bull3964 posted:

I know this isn't the case here since you explained what the data was, but this can get you jail time if it was PHI or PII.

Logical access != permission to look at the raw data from the database even if you have access to the data via a UI or even have it as part of your regular duties to access the data.

Applications have logs, they can more easily audit access patterns. Bulk data exports may not. Ability to query data may come with other roles and responsibilities, but permission is not implicit with certain types of data and accessing it, even if it is too complete other tasks for your job, may not be allowed without express permission.

I had database admin role at one point with dbs that had PHI. Being admin, I could have queried the tables at any time, I needed said access in order to administer the server. However, had I done so, it would have been a HIPAA violation unless viewing the data was expressly part of my duties.

I couldn't, say, query a top ten to get a feel for the schema or data distribution. If I wanted that information I had to go to the development team to get their data schema or I had to go to the data steward and request permission to look at that data for those purposes.

It's really cut and dry with HIPAA. A coworker could leave printed out PHI on their desk uncovered (which could be it's own violation), but if you attempted to read it in passing, that itself could be a violation.

I agree - Personally I wouldnt have done what Pretzel did for most of the reasons you list and I work in a place where you can risk violations fairly easily.
For the sake of this debate I'll take Pretzel in good faith that he hasn't mentioned that element so I would assume it's not an obvious issue
But overall - yeah, the right thing is for Pretzel's manager to formally request the access and for someone to perhaps explain if they need to jump through the hoops as per your post or otherwise.

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 1, 2021

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Whipstickagostop posted:

"I have a bunch of figures that add up to X, but I want to know which ones to use to make it add up to Y"

To be fair, this does sound like one of the exercises in the Advent of Code Calendar thing. But he could probably do it in 2 minutes by eyeballing it manually.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Isn't that what Solver is made for?

poo poo, I use a 1D cut optimizer that's basically driven by an Excel/Solver backend.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

introduce him to the magic of algebra, pencil, and, paper

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fortinet pushed a certifcate DB on 10/1 but didn't fix the Let's Encrypt R3 thing? Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have 2 Azure VM's

Boss got an email from a reseller who can save us like half a cent/hour on them

This will total to almost $2/month

HEY BOB WHAT DO YA THINK ABOUT SWITCHING OVER? WE CAN SAVE SOME MONEY

I emailed him what we'd actually save and mentioned going with reserved instances and saving 18% since we run them 24/7 anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Burstable skus might be worth looking in to as well, depending on the workload

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You lose a load of the cost analytics tools if you buy Azure though a CSP reseller, it's really not worth doing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

Burstable skus might be worth looking in to as well, depending on the workload

It's just an ADFS server, what workloads work well with burstable sku's?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Monitor it for a bit, see what the load is like. I use burstable SKUs for domain controllers since they don't do anything most of the time.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Sywert of Thieves posted:

To be fair, this does sound like one of the exercises in the Advent of Code Calendar thing. But he could probably do it in 2 minutes by eyeballing it manually.

He didn't even know what type of software he wanted me to install and called it "a command prompt or something" - the man still pastes screenshots into Word, prints them, scans them back to PDF files and emails them to me. 0 chance he could get anything remotely useable written even if he actually did any BASIC programming in school back in the '80s.

He is a bit of a strange one. I think he does this sort of thing on purpose so he can feel more important. Gets involved in other peoples work, wont delegate his work to his department staff and purposely won't show others how to run certain processes all so he can moan to the Directors about how busy and stressed he is, who lap it up for some reason.

Was just going to leave him do it manually, but figured he would probably waste all day doing it, moan to the Director who used to do his job and then I'd have to waste time explaining to them (again) why he is a massive tit and didn't listen to what I suggested. Typed "find specific total from range of numbers" into Google and sent him the top link which he claimed he couldn't find/didnt work in Excel.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

[beats drum, grabs megaphone]
"PDF is not meant to be an editable file type, if you keep needing to edit PDF files and buying Acrobat licenses then your workflow is wrong, go and fix it"

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Thanks Ants posted:

[beats drum, grabs megaphone]
"PDF is not meant to be an editable file type, if you keep needing to edit PDF files and buying Acrobat licenses then your workflow is wrong, go and fix it"

A follow up to this - "A PDF is not immutable, and neither are screenshots. Stop insisting on them as a form of audit control on the ground they are such."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

"this business-critical process relies almost entirely on pdf worksheets that use actionscript calculations created by someone who hasnt been here for 5 years

we all hope tax rates never change"

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Clearly the answer to editing PDFs without needing to buy licenses is to just print the pdf, do the changes with a pen and then scan it back in. So simple!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Greader posted:

Clearly the answer to editing PDFs without needing to buy licenses is to just print the pdf, do the changes with a pen and then scan it back in. So simple!

Then complain at the Service Desk when their scan isn't fillable, my Adobe is broken, why doesn't anything ever work?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I use Foxit Reader to annotate and e-sign PDFs as necessary, and PDFSplitAndMerge as it says on the tin when necessary. Comes in handy when 100% of my workflow is digital and remote and I need to bookmark and split-on-bookmark a single file of invoices for 6 branches from a vendor :shobon:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
More poo poo that pisses you off: that great, slouching beast: PDF.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh hey, I missed the six year anniversary of the stupidest, most frustrating thing to ever piss me off: the $10,000 password reset.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&userid=50067&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post450596166

But tomorrow is the six year anniversary of the time they tried to do it again, so it still counts, right?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh hey, I missed the six year anniversary of the stupidest, most frustrating thing to ever piss me off: the $10,000 password reset.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&userid=50067&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post450596166

But tomorrow is the six year anniversary of the time they tried to do it again, so it still counts, right?

Oof just read that.

I would be so loving pissed. People are the worst. Are they still a customer?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

poo poo pissing me off: This link doesn't work in mobile because for some reason you can't filter by user in the app, or it doesn't properly parse the parameters in the app.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Oof just read that.

I would be so loving pissed. People are the worst. Are they still a customer?

It was an internal team who did all the bullshit. They still exist (although in a massively different capacity). The guy who did this, twice? He's a Director now.

DelphiAegis posted:

poo poo pissing me off: This link doesn't work in mobile because for some reason you can't filter by user in the app, or it doesn't properly parse the parameters in the app.

Does this work?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3571852&pagenumber=492&perpage=40#post450596166

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Yarp

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yep, that one works. But I wanted to be reminded of the story so I turned around to view it on desktop anyway.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

skooma512 posted:

Agrikk is the closest computer-knower, and thusly is personally responsible for ensuring my computer everything with a cord or cable around me works in the way I want at all times.

Fixed that for you.
FML

Edit: The current issue I'm dealing with has to do with phones. Apparently, Director of another department received a Very Important Phone-call three months ago, but now doesn't remember the number it came from to contact them back. Somehow thinks this is something I can fix for them.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 4, 2021

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Me. I piss me off.

I decided to swap out my sonicwall firewall with a pFsense atom d525 box without testing it in my environment and it broke a lot of small things in terrible ways.

Of course the worst was that my wife stopped being able to print to our networked printer from her Mac.

Since Saturday I have destroyed my entire everything trying to get the drat thing working. I:

- Replaced the pFsense box with the original sonicwall.

- Reconfigured the sonicwall from scratch because i had flattened it in preparation to eBay it.

- Moved from static routing to RIP to OSPF back to static.

- Accidentally destroyed my ONTAP FSx device and my FSx SMB share that backs my web farm.

- Rebuilt my web farm from templates and restored the SMB share from backup.

- Changed static VPN routes over IPSec to load-balanced BGP links.

- Destroyed and rebuilt my public Quake2 Devastation server after I accidentally destroyed the LUN it was on.

I’ve done more to accidentally destroy and upgrade my poo poo in the last seventy two hours than some IT techs do in a year. But my wife can loving print again. FML

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 5, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Little do you know, but your changes also took down facebook.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think a manager in another department just not so subtly threatened my job and my manager's job. :allears:

I mean, as hilarious as that is, I objected to the Rube Goldberg machine you call production. Don't get pissy with me when it breaks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

So our InfoSec and IT departments are small, and the IT department is overworked. I'm a former IT person who was moved into InfoSec over a year ago, so I still have access to a lot of stuff.

Yesterday the CISO asked me to help do integrations for a POC of a new Identity Governance System with our SSO system and our email system. I told him that I could do the email side of things because I still have global admin on it, but I didn't have those permissions for our SSO system. So I schedule a meeting with a sysadmin to help with the SSO side, and everything was scheduled to be done this morning in a meeting with the IGS engineers.

Morning of the meeting, two sysadmins and the IT manager join the call, and the IT manager asks for some details and then says that he can't approve the integration without doing an architecture review of them first. Apparently nobody had told IT about this new system. On top of that fuckup, the IGS company had failed to create the admin accounts for all of the users that the CISO created - this for some reason requires manual action by an engineer on their side as a "security" feature that... not everybody in the IGS company knows about, so when the CISO set it up he was told the wrong information.

All in all, NOT a great start to a new system being set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Explorer posted:

I think a manager in another department just not so subtly threatened my job and my manager's job. :allears:

I mean, as hilarious as that is, I objected to the Rube Goldberg machine you call production. Don't get pissy with me when it breaks.

Make sure there's an email chain stating as much.