Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

BULBASAUR posted:

The part about effeminate males and gay romance seems bad

I would simply not live in a red state :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

:barf:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Doctor Jeep posted:

is NK really this good with weapons/rocket tech, even under crippling sanctions?

North Korea is remarkably technologically advanced for what wouuld otherwise be considered a poor country in pure GDP terms. They're as technically capable of producing hypersonic weapons as any first world country, and unlike most First World countries North Korea is existentially threatened by the world's biggest superpower. So they also have all the motive to develop hypersonic weapons.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

North Korea is remarkably technologically advanced for what wouuld otherwise be considered a poor country in pure GDP terms. They're as technically capable of producing hypersonic weapons as any first world country, and unlike most First World countries North Korea is existentially threatened by the world's biggest superpower. So they also have all the motive to develop hypersonic weapons.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

America will eventually crumble and fade into obscurity, but Juche is eternal.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

america doesn't need to worry about north korea obtaining hypersonic weapons. those are outdated compared to our state-of-the-art hydrosonic missiles

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/fentpressed/status/1389410304572985345

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As has been said about other things, best to take with a grain of salt how much of these 'memos' are being taken literally or are anything but advisory.

Also lol that the idea that moral ambiguity and being able to choose to do bad things should be banned, wasn't that the standard western progressive take a few years ago?

We're never getting a mainline Assassin's Creed game set in China because of this, this is a travesty.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

indigi posted:

what does the Political Work Department of the PLA do?

if you want sources on this you'll have to wait while i ask a friend to dig them up, but my understanding is that the PLA is actually a very open and democratic body (and has been since its inception), and the commissar that's part of every unit is responsible for political education but also securing soldier buy-in and hashing out strategies collectively with the rest of the body. so like during the korean war there was some unit that was extremely gunshy about flying air support because of stories they'd heard about lots of planes being shot down by american AA emplacements, and there was a back-and-forth in which the unit together with its commissar looked over statistics, saw which models of bombers tended to come back when executing what kinds of attacks, etc, and then promulgated what they'd come up with to the rest of the PLA such that a notably high number of MiGs came back without a scratch. and this goes on everywhere such that the PLA doesn't even have a lot of secret strategies or w/e, if you read chinese you can just look up their doctrine online because there's ongoing discussion and debate throughout the organization

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't really disagree with this.

Too bad for Ubisoft and EA trying to claim that The Division and Battlefield 2042 are "apolitical" games

the netizens of the Europa Universalis community in China are freakin’ out!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

is command and conquer generals allowed in china

it was technically banned but everyone I knew who loved red alert 2 I told about it found it hilarious just bc of how bizarre and racist it is

it’s like a 60s retrofuturistic China in whats an otherwise REAL LIFE MODERN WARFARE game

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I only remember they had the strongest tank and I think maybe a flame tank? GLA were the only memorable faction.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
they were the best faction b/c in unpatched multiplayer you could send your starting tractors to smush the GLA workers

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Stringent posted:

got a link to that talk?
it was one of the global capitalism talks pre-pandemic probably during the trump years. i dont have a link or remember which specific one. he liked to talk about china-us relations a lot

old ones are unfortunately unlisted on youtube

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Russia to triple electricity supplies to China on October 1 — TV

quote:

BEIJING, September 30. /TASS/. Russia will triple electricity supplies via the Amur-Heihe electric transmission line (ETL) starting October 1, China Central Television reported on Thursday.

"Starting October 1, the overhead convertor substation of 500 kW (750 MW DC) will increase its daily time of operation with full loading from 5 to 16 hours per day," the TV channel said.

"This measure will make it possible to dramatically ease the situation with the electricity supply," the report said. Electricity from this converting station is used in three northeastern provinces of China - Heilongjiang, Liaoning and Jilin. In 29 years, Russia supplied over 30 bln kilowatt hours of electricity, according to the channel.

Russia stepping in to help ease China's electricity supply crunch.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I know jack poo poo about the situation there currently, but the impression I have from my position of tremendous ignorance is that the azerbaijani govt is being a complete turbo rear end in a top hat and is going to end up getting seriously loving slapped by a iran/russia/china combo. correct?

yes the azerbaijani government is acting in a very aggressive and hostile fashion, but it's an open question about them getting slapped down by anyone. for one, they are backed by turkey a very powerful country in its own right. russia would need to be careful because azerbaijan is a big weapons customer of russia, and russian energy firms do a fair bit of business in azerbaijan. there is also pipeline stuff at play although most of azerbaijan's exports to the west do not go through russia anymore.

iran has pretty substantial azeri minority, the biggest ethnic group after persian. afaik they're pretty well integrated but on the other hand iran has reacted very strongly to azerbaijani irredentism so there is probably something they're worried about. at any rate this probably presents some political constraints to how iran might respond.

as for china they don't do a ton of trade with azerbaijan either import or export so economically there isn't much they could do. i do not think china has the appetite or ability to get involved in a military conflict in the caucasus.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speaking of the caucasus former president of georgia and former governor of odesa ukraine mikheil saakashvili is apparently returning to georgia, and has posted a plane ticket on his facebook page. if he goes through with this he is 100% going to be arrested when he lands. good luck!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

America will eventually crumble and fade into obscurity, but Juche is eternal.
some really know what's up in people's Chosun

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the stuff about "effeminate men" being banned or whatever doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. the mid-autumn festival gala a couple weeks ago featured performances from singers who would easily qualify for such a ban if it actually existed.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1443777124825927682

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
personally a fan of the whole blue-sky with puffy white cloud backdrop vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxrhqFlnjQ&t=59s

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

the stuff about "effeminate men" being banned or whatever doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. the mid-autumn festival gala a couple weeks ago featured performances from singers who would easily qualify for such a ban if it actually existed.

i'm assuming that it's something that will be used selectively ala the child gaming restrictions, which iirc are already largely being openly circumvented by kids just playing with their parents' IDs, but it's hard to tell from an outside perspective

i'm wary of staking much of a position on issues like that because of having to rely on third party translations for both the text and the context surrounding it, so i have no clue if i'm being given the mandarin equivalent of memri TV or not

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1443810359584825349?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1443494957042610181

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

R. Guyovich posted:

my understanding is that it's partially a reaction to the kinds of media that end up pushing every other teen to get cosmetic surgery in south korea, and also a small set of weird game show programs that have on underaged people and then leer at them as "fresh meat" or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah those seem like cool and good things to stamp out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Politics. A politician will say that. It’s all strategy. And as for the choice, I’d rather choose the guy willing to work with fascists than THE FASCIST. At least the power will be divided and not controlled by one dictatorial fascist. That is much much worse. And do you really think [Isko Moreno] will work 100% with the fascists? Who do you think his backers are? He may be a monster in the making, but AT LEAST he is not a PROVEN monster.

I see we're now entering into the "between Hitler and Mussolini, I'd vote for Mussolini" part of liberal electoral politics

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah those seem like cool and good things to stamp out

:yeah:

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Conscription makes a comeback

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

gradenko_2000 posted:

I see we're now entering into the "between Hitler and Mussolini, I'd vote for Mussolini" part of liberal electoral politics

Every loving time liberals convince themselves that they can control the fascists. EVERY TIME.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lobster shirt posted:

speaking of the caucasus former president of georgia and former governor of odesa ukraine mikheil saakashvili is apparently returning to georgia, and has posted a plane ticket on his facebook page. if he goes through with this he is 100% going to be arrested when he lands. good luck!

Georgia arrests ex-president Saakashvili after return from exile

And arrested.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Every loving time liberals convince themselves that they can control the fascists. EVERY TIME.

What do you mean libs aren't fascists the whole time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lobster shirt posted:

how was he a governor in one country and president in another (presumably not concurrently, but still), that’s cool

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Palladium posted:

What do you mean libs aren't fascists the whole time

Every time liberals virtue signal that they're not liberals or fascists a fascist gets their wings

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

how was he a governor in one country and president in another (presumably not concurrently, but still), that’s cool

Ukraine was really running out of Nazis, surprisingly enough, and they had to start importing them from neighboring countries.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

indigi posted:

Extremely convincing fake moustache. It's happened before, such as with former Soviet Premier Krushchev and the very similar "Fyodor Kroschov", first secretary of the CPU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I'm mainly surprised that the MIC decided to use a well-designed, mass-produced, cheap-but-reliable input device rather than rebuilding a shittier MILSPEC version for 30x the price

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Everyone thinks they can control the fascists. The libs, the soc dems, the industrialists, the monarchists, Stalin himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Its right in their name too, they must have the most face.