Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Aw I've not been keeping up has Ray not been about? He's my favourite. His capacity for sheer spiteful fuckery delights me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Adam Reed voices him so Ray has been used less lately as Reed works on new projects.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

Adam Reed voices him so Ray has been used less lately as Reed works on new projects.
Voiceover work can be done from home really easily these days, so I doubt it has to do with time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had noticed Ray was missing for several episodes, but I expected it would come up eventually. It's a neat in-joke that no other characters even really notice before this episode.

Not digging Barry being a villain again; Robot Factory was easily the peak of season 11. I guess we'll see where that's going though!

Tiggum posted:

I'd say Woodhouse was at least as central as Mallory. I don't think there's even one absolutely essential character in the entire show, and that includes Archer himself; they could do a time skip and have one of his kids take over the central role.

One idea I saw floated way back was to have Sterling die in a season finale, and from then on, the titular Archer would be Abbiejean, a suave super spy who never knew her father and struggled with having to work for her overbearing mother, a former master spy and now tightly wound agency head.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShakeZula posted:

Well I guess I'm assuming the advertising wouldn't lean on his specific name as much as "From the creator of Archer," etc. Just like how Archer was "the new show from the guy who made Sealab."

Frisky Dingo. :colbert:

I got into archer specifically because of frisky dingo and hearing that it had a Krav Maga joke in the first episode.

God drat frisky dingo was great.

I was watching S12 today and Jessica Walter seriously sounded rough compared to earlier seasons but she was still definitely bringing the effort. God drat she was some of the best casting ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LividLiquid posted:

Voiceover work can be done from home really easily these days, so I doubt it has to do with time.

I don’t think it’s time as much as effort, a big reason the show dipped in quality for so long is because Reed didn’t want to anymore and it was obvious. He had never done anything past what, 4 seasons prior to Archer?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Frisky Dingo was fine but I knew Adam Reed from Sealab, which is just an amazing early AS show

At least until Harry Goz died, after which the show goes downhill.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Aw, that ending.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
:geno:: Check your privilege!

:smuggo:: You know I won't!

fartknocker posted:

Aw, that ending.

:same:

I was not expecting that ending :gbsmith:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

fartknocker posted:

Aw, that ending.

Yeah, the only thing that spoiled it for me was the roof on my house. It's two years old, and it sprung a leak right at the end. Only a few drops got in, but right on my face. Super annoying.

I didn't think I knew this before, but Ron Leibman was Jessica Walter's husband. I knew he had passed a few years ago.

drat.

Did anyone else expect Woodhouse to serve the drinks?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat my roof leaked too what a strange coincidence.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

Did anyone else expect Woodhouse to serve the drinks?
That would have implied that they were both dead though, which obviously isn't what they were going for.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who kept waiting for a twist where the final part of the episode had all been in Barry's mind as part of a metaphorical fight against other Barry?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That ending :unsmith:

Not ashamed to say I love this show, I've been here since the beginning and I still love it now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how much of that episode was the original version because even outside of the very end the stuff with Mallory felt kind of weird.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Her dialog was a bit weird, and I wonder if any of it was hacked together from previously recorded audio. But it came together well enough that they might have been writing her out anyway and she just happened to die.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Her dialogue sounded like almost entirely previously used stuff to my ears, and I think a few of the lines sounded familiar.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think basically everything but Jessica Walter reading the letter was reused from previous seasons, but the last scene definitely made my living room dusty somehow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Poor good barry, it probably does suck to be carried around by a psycopath. Some horror movie poo poo.

Good a sendoff as they could have given her given the circumstances. I'd rather this in retrospect than killing her off without a word

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.
"By going back through the Archer archives, executive producer Casey Willis tells TVLine":

quote:

“We collected Jessica and Ron’s lines from every season of Archer and combed through them, selecting those we thought would foster the feeling we were trying to evoke. Alongside [series creator] Adam Reed, we worked to create a tribute to our beloved ‘Malory.'”
I was hoping she'd go off to fight in the Great Spice Wars, but this was good too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought it was a good season, but it's odd that there was no follow-up to the hallucinations Archer was having at the end of the last season.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Wait, that was the end of the season? It seemed... sudden.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They've done 8-9 the last like 5 seasons.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
←←Me on hearing the news
https://twitter.com/archerfxx/status/1547281176150228994?s=20&t=PqU3o1Ny1HbrOXHrTrLxEw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDg6oOqrDTo

Trailer for season (gasp) 13.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just found out it’s coming back next week…I hadn’t heard they were even doing a new season

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They had the perfect ending though. Can we call it something else and let it end with Jessica Walter's goodbye?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Seeing Archer without Mallory around is an interesting aspect to explore.

I hope they do it well? I also hope it leads to a conclusion or some major revelations that'll be lasting. (But, I kind of doubt that.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will certainly watch it, but it felt like last season was a natural ending point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Was it just my ears, or was there a muttered f-bomb in there (From Lana?) when they said Archer needs to win the competition?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Shoreh Aghdashloo :swoon:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That was actually pretty good. I know my and the thread's standards for Archer are super low but that was fun.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was good but I feel like this show is nearly out of steam

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Gillette's book at the end was labeled 'The Smackaroonie', fantastic callback.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was good but I feel like this show is nearly out of steam

They really do need to find a way to wrap it up this season. I don't think there's much left in the tank.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would have been perfectly fine if last season was it. It's going to be hard to do this without Jessica Walter, and the show has just been on forever now and I'm not sure if they really have much further ground to cover. I would say that they could focus more on Archer being a dad but they have consistently sidestepped that over the last few seasons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Watched last week’s episode and I am still sticking to my opinion that the show should have just ended last season

Some good jokes but this constant jockeying for who gets to be the new leader was already old last episode

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This week's was actually rather good though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mokinokaro posted:

This week's was actually rather good though.

Agreed. Not brilliant but good enough to continue existence and give people jobs which I guess is my threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Watched last week’s episode and I am still sticking to my opinion that the show should have just ended last season

Some good jokes but this constant jockeying for who gets to be the new leader was already old last episode

It's still a step up from OUTLAW COUNTRY WOOO