Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm now at the Bryan Cranston episode of B5. It's good.

edit:

Well now I'm on season 4 episode 6. The shadow war is over? WTF are they going to do the rest of the season. Everyone just left.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah it makes no sense and the network must have been making GBS threads themselves. Ain't it great?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's pretty drat good I'm excited to see what the rest of the season is going to be about.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hollismason posted:

I'm now at the Bryan Cranston episode of B5. It's good.

edit:

Well now I'm on season 4 episode 6. The shadow war is over? WTF are they going to do the rest of the season. Everyone just left.

JMS: it’s a glorious 1.5 season finale.
Network: you’ve got 44 minutes

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hollismason posted:

I don't see how its only 5 episodes into the season 4 and poo poo is already going sideways. I dunno what the rest of the season is going to be about.

Hollismason posted:

Hollismason posted:

It's pretty drat good I'm excited to see what the rest of the season is going to be about.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 2, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hollismason posted:

loving lol

Enjoy it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TraderStav posted:

loving lol

Enjoy it.

Yup. Strap the gently caress in.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This poo poo moves fast I was not expecting Bester to turn up again.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bester is so goddamn good. I really can’t think of someone who can have the same amount of menace, competence, and charm in one package while doing it so effortlessly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1444145302189928449

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Babylon 5, An Amazon Original coming our way in three years

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Decided to start a rewatch after this was announced and just got to "Signs and Portents" (aka Mr. Morden's introduction). So good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

Bester is so goddamn good. I really can’t think of someone who can have the same amount of menace, competence, and charm in one package while doing it so effortlessly.

The episode where goes to Babylon 5 just to gently caress with Lyta and Garibaldi pretty much sums him up. If he managed to make someone feel like poo poo, he had a good day.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Buses in US don't get cleaned every morning?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol you think anything public related has cash for basic maintenance let alone cleanliness in the US.

If it can’t kill someone there ain’t no funds for it

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Considering where Season4 was originally going to end (before network pressure). I dont think the Shadow War was sped up by that much anyway..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm at Season 4 Episode 11, I have no idea where this is going. My memory of the show from 25 years ago has faded. The only thing I remember is Sheridan gets captured and poisoned with a corned beef sandwich. Ivanova dies and Marcus uses some machine to bring her back. Garibaldi is a sleeper agent for the Psicorp

I have no idea where this is headed. I mean its season 4 and episode 11 and things are heating up with the Earth v Babylon 5. Its good so far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DeafNote posted:

Considering where Season4 was originally going to end (before network pressure). I dont think the Shadow War was sped up by that much anyway..

It wasn't. What JMS says is that Intersections in Real Time was the S4 finale and everything after that was compressed into 4, but originally would've been the first part of 5. Then it's pretty obvious when 5 gets back to its original outline.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hollismason posted:

I don't see how its only 5 episodes into the season 4 and poo poo is already going sideways. I dunno what the rest of the season is going to be about.

Have you ever read lord of the rings? Not watched the movie, read it?

You get like halfway through Return of the King and the good guys have won and you look at how much you have to read (not counting the appendices) and go ….. huh????

Yeah.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm at another episode of Season 4 Episode 14 and Bester has shown up again. Its seems he has shown up just to piss off Garibaldi and Lyta lol.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Do you think Bester has anything better to do with his time? (No.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doctor Zero posted:

Have you ever read lord of the rings? Not watched the movie, read it?

You get like halfway through Return of the King and the good guys have won and you look at how much you have to read (not counting the appendices) and go ….. huh????

Yeah.

True of the movie too tbh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've made it to Season 4 Episode 18 Intersections in Real time. Goddamn. This show. Can't believe all that's happened. drat Bester is cold as ice. I can't remember if he gets his comeuppance or not. I hope so.

edit:

WTF I finished Season 4 , it was really good but what the loving christ was that last episode.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 3, 2021

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Welcome to the last second replacement of the Series finale and welcome to the suddenly existing Season 5.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

WTF I finished Season 4 , it was really good but what the loving christ was that last episode.

Sleeping in Light (the S5 finale) was originally the S4 finale, and Deconstruction was the first episode of S5 to be made when they got renewed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sleeping in Light (the S5 finale) was originally the S4 finale, and Deconstruction was the first episode of S5 to be made when they got renewed.

i missed it the first time round, then i turned it off halfway through the second time round. it was real bad lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sleeping in light is one of the Great Episodes of Television, ending s4 on that would have actually been incredible. on balance s5 was def worthwhile though, with some stone classic eps. hold onto that thought as you watch it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sebmojo posted:

i missed it the first time round, then i turned it off halfway through the second time round. it was real bad lol

I quite like it, it's weird (even if it is very Great Man Theory)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Please don’t leave the plastic gasoline canisters I asked for in public, it’s too hard to explain them away

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch: The Fall of Centauri Prime is so good and effectively the good bye episode to Mollari, even though he'll keep on living for some years. I also love that one female centauri standing in the background trying to sweep up some of the rubble.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Please don’t leave the plastic gasoline canisters I asked for in public, it’s too hard to explain them away
The Canticle for Leibowitz really redeems the episode.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 3, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

it just seemed really cheap, because it certainly was. the idea was solid, execution lacking.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alhazred posted:

The Canticle for Leibowitz really redeems the episode.

Agreed. Canticle is one of those novels that I read as a teen and which just burned itself pretty permanently into my brain - it’s one of the most affecting pieces of science fiction I’ve ever read. So seeing JMS’s little tribute in B5 made the rest of whatever that episode was worth it tbqh.

(Well, that and Angry Old Delenn.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Delenn spending her last years heckling public debates.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I find this an odd reading given that the episode, and S5 generally, seem deliberately to be undermining the “Great Man Theory” of the previous seasons while also attacking the idea that individual people don’t make a difference, only broad trends in society.

From Delenn insisting that John Sheridan “was a good man” (good is not Great), to the attempt to paint Sheridan as a fascist dictator as a pretense to start a war where virtual Garibaldi protects his reputation by starting the war himself, to the mythic packaging of Sheridan which serves as a cover for the gradual reintroduction of technology by the Rangers, to the end of the solar system, the repeated message is that B5 and its characters mattered and made a difference, but that the work of making things better is ongoing and undertaken by a lot of heroes who will be unsung. S5 shows us that Sheridan wasn’t especially great as President, and while we don’t see this much on screen, the implication is that Delenn does a much better job and Sheridan is a better fit to lead the Rangers.

S5 is so on the nose about this it gives us Byron, a self-destructive cult leader who starts a deadly conflict between telepaths, who looks like a perfect fit for the “Great Man” model. He isn’t. He’s a critique of that, but one that doesn’t land as well as it should.

It’s the Superman theory of human behavior, in the sense that living up to the ideal means trying to be better, and the “Great Man” is useful as the inspiration while inevitably being imperfect in reality. Really, that’s the Christ theory (or Buddha theory), repackaged by an atheist.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Right. Which is why Ivonova is in SiL but not Deconstruction.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm on Season 5 Episode 2 now. First episode was pretty good. The Long Night of Londo Malari is really good though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chevy Slyme posted:

Agreed. Canticle is one of those novels that I read as a teen and which just burned itself pretty permanently into my brain - it’s one of the most affecting pieces of science fiction I’ve ever read. So seeing JMS’s little tribute in B5 made the rest of whatever that episode was worth it tbqh.

If you want to make JMS extremely mad tell him that. He insists he never read Canticle and that bit of the episode is all original and in no way inspired/a tribute.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Grand Fromage posted:

If you want to make JMS extremely mad tell him that. He insists he never read Canticle and that bit of the episode is all original and in no way inspired/a tribute.

Does he? His post on Usenet has a far more "whoops" tone to it than "I've never read that book."

jms posted:

Interesting aside...for the last 6-8 months, I've been doing a fair amount of research into medieval England, especially the medieval church, for a play I'm writing (which may become a novel if I'm not careful). Dumped several hundred dollars on a massive order from Amazon.com back a few months ago to fill out what I needed. That was what tangentially led me into the post-Burn sequence in "Deconstruction." My brain has been full of monks for the last 8 months or so, and knowing the role they played in maintaining secular knowledge from about 500 AD and for some time thereafter, that seemed the perfect route to go that would also resonate with the look of the Rangers and the religious caste Minbari and the whole feel we were setting up.

It was only when I was about halfway into the act that I thought, "Oh, crud, this is the same area Canticle explored." And for several days I set it aside and strongly considered dropping it, or changing the venue (at one point considered setting it in the ruins of a university, but I couldn't make that work realistically...who'd be supporting a university in the ruins of a major nuclear war? Who'd have the *resources* I needed? The church, or what would at least LOOK like the church. My sense of backstory here is that the Anla-shok moved in and started little "abbeys" all over the place, using the church as cover, but rarely actually a part of it, which was why they had not gotten their recognition, and would never get it. Rome probably didn't even know about them, or knew them only distantly.)

Anyway...at the end of the day, I decided to leave it as it was, since I'd gotten there on an independent road, we'd already had a number of monks on B5, and there's been a LOT of theocratic science fiction written beyond Canticle...Gather Darkness, aspects of Foundation, others.
Emphasis mine. Like, same point, it wasn't a deliberate reference, but I'd never heard that he'd denied reading Canticle. (Which he neither confirms nor denies, in that quote.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's a neat touch that even though they're not part of the plot of the episode you will sometimes see monks in the background.